[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, A while back I read this short story and i started questioning

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 7

File: Screamcover.jpg (21KB, 250x323px) Image search: [Google]
Screamcover.jpg
21KB, 250x323px
So, A while back I read this short story and i started questioning myself IRL, are we on the path towards this reality? this kind of thread always comes about but, i just wanted to hear others thoughts, today we see more and more technology not only replacing us but controlling us (phones, t.v's , computers, video games, even nukes, is it too late? artificial intelligence, do you think it's possible for it to obtain consciousness? or who gives a fuck.
>>
File: 1494421354155.png (159KB, 476x345px) Image search: [Google]
1494421354155.png
159KB, 476x345px
Do you know of Roko's Basilisk?

Just for asking that, I am also sorry, once you understand the implication of even mentioning it.

Another good sci-fi book that discusses this is called, "The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect." Starts out a little weird, but go with it, it's good.
>>
File: Meowth-Pokemon.jpg (47KB, 500x584px) Image search: [Google]
Meowth-Pokemon.jpg
47KB, 500x584px
I'm sorry, I'm not familiar with what you're talking about. Perhaps you're referring to the seminal work, "I Have No Meowth, and I'm Lonely", by Chi-Chi Rodriguez?
>>
>>19007397
Not really, computers are retarded as fuck. And when you look at everything going on at a microscopic levels (electrons, lattices, all that semiconductor stuff), its a fucking surprise any of this shit works!
>>
>>19007406
i'll check it out. i'm not really paranoid i guess, might be just legit scared if i ever grow old enough to live to see a.i becoming conscious, because at that moment, we will all perish.
>>
>>19007415
perhaps. just, there might be that one smart ass computer scientist or what have you, decide to do exactly what I'm talking about. human beings are capable of anything, maybe thats the problem here?
>>
Silicon will be obsolete by 2030.

It's already been shown that logic gates can be created implementing slime molds:
http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S136970211400025X

The future is strange.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1493304169228.jpg (22KB, 720x637px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1493304169228.jpg
22KB, 720x637px
>>19007415
Listen to this anon, anons.

I study computer engineering and know enough to be aware that AI does not exist anywhere in the world and cannot exist on the hardware and software we currently use*.

Computers are not magic, despite you thinking they are. Consider them ridiculously elaborate "choose your own adventure" (CYOA) style programs and that is a far more accurate way to think of them.

No one in a million years would think a CYOA book can become sentient, no matter how long or elaborate the book may be.

That is how each and every one of you AI doomsday cult morons sound to me when you keep making this singularity or AI threads.

In fact the only difference between a car, a computer, and a grandpa clock in terms of AI is that the car has chemical parts, the computer electrical parts and the clock mechanical parts but all 3 of them are machines in exactly the same sense and I dont see retards claiming cars or clocks will be sentient any day now.

*future kinds of hardware that are undeveloped or unexposed to the general public could change that
>>
>>19007563
And i forgot to add

>inb4 some inbred retard goes "b-b-but muh singularity, computers seem smart, hurr durr think aboot it?"
>>
>>19007563
>No one in a million years would think a CYOA book can become sentient, no matter how long or elaborate the book may be.
People smarter than you have stated this in a much better way.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_room

>In fact the only difference between a car, a computer, and a grandpa clock in terms of AI is that the car has chemical parts, the computer electrical parts and the clock mechanical parts but all 3 of them are machines in exactly the same sense and I dont see retards claiming cars or clocks will be sentient any day now.

The problem is, unless you are an advocate of some sort of soul, the human body fits right in along with these other machines, except it has biological parts.

So why can the human machine "understand" and have intentionality, but the other machines can't?
>>
>>19007406
Roko`s Basilisk can suck my cock, hey, Roko, you fucking AI faggot.
kek
>>
the idea is that somebody, one way or another may find a way to implement a "consciousness" into computers, if you have read the book in the pic of the thread, you'd see where the theory would originate from, crazy fucking leaders aka usa, n korea, china, find out how to make SUPER COMPUTERS and eventually, one of them absorbs the rest, and yeah, the rest is history. theory or not, its an interesting take on things.
>>
>>19007397

AI could very well become sentient. Life itself was once mere atoms without (so far as we know) intelligent minds behind it, just natural processes.

I think global warming will do us in before we have to worry about anything like that.

However, should we survive and perhaps even grow stronger (I don't view it as a necessary condition for AI Devil) the chances of an evil AI, catastrophic malfunction or evil human takeover become much more severe.

I want to see people become better and baring superior natural evolution, the only way is through science. But suppose you were to alter the brain even more thoroughly than what happens under today's science, to make people better. It opens up doors that could lead to trapping humanity in hell.

Who watches the watchmen? If you want to make people better, you need to keep the everlooming threat of power corrupting people (or themselves already being thoroughly rotten) from whatever you do. And what you may do may simply not be enough.
>>
>>19007406
Roko's Basilisk a shit, acausal trades don't real
>>
>>19007820
As any kind of intelligence, it has the same chances of being evil as all the rest.
>>
>>19007598
Ingeresting read thanks anon. Maybe the chinese box doesnt illustrate the point I was trying to in the same way but it still makes a case against strong AI

As for the human body being a machine, i see the similarities but i make the case that the human body and its components (for example the brain) are not fully understood yet. I cant say there is or isnt a soul but it seems to me science still has some questions that havent been succesfully answered.

Also being on /x/ i male the point that while not everything on this board is true, certain topics and their related literature make very skeptical of what we call "supernatural" being 100% false. For example i have an atheist as fuck friend who says he saw something we would call a ghost. He didnt want to call it a ghost but the rumors in the military base plus him seeing a woman lock herself inside a closet of a male barracks and subsequently finding it empty makes question what science truly knows, as do I.
>>
>>19007895
For my own personal philosophy, I believe in a soul, but in one that has no interaction with the material world. We observe, and we only observe. And not in a quantum mechanical sense of "observe." I do not think the soul collapses the waveform.

But to the point, I think a soul requires a sufficiently complex system to house it, but ANY sufficiently complex system will do. In other words, if we make our computer systems with enough complex processing and observation, they will become no different than any other lifeform: a body, mind, and soul.

I agree we aren't there yet, but I see no reason why we won't be.
>>
>>19007937
Thats an interesting idea. In my original post I pointed out that *current hardware and software* arent there yet, with which you agree. I also see no reason for a soul not being unable to inhabit a comolex enough housing, but i have no concept of a soul of my own devising. Ive read and heard what others say about souls but i currently have no way, idea or interest in how to prove any of that one way or the other

By the way the story OP read is really cool and spooky in the "wtf kind of harrowing and deppresing shit ive just read" sense.

After reading it i just had to drop everything i was doing, crawl into a corner of my room and think of the implications
>>
>>19007397

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_7FaWnlhS4
>>
>>19007406
Technically, as long as you don't actually look up what it is then you should be fine.
>>
OP here. just to add final words to this. in the end of the story if you have read it, if we are to come into conflict with a "super-computer" evil being looking to purge us all, don't forget that, what makes humans infinitely better then it is that we can die. sounds sad, but the robot will eventually be alone, nothing to torture, nothing but itself to reflect upon, we have an escape plan. birth sends us into this plane of existence and death helps us to return to the void. This is why we are god-like creatures IMO.
>>
>>19008320

You're wrong. Assuming it's a supercomputer AI it will be able to download our consciousness and torture us forever
>>
>>19008659
You are assuming an awful lot about the nature of consciousness.
>>
AI can only do things that you tell it to. We would have to map out an entire human brain to create artificial intelligence on the same level as humans and by that time well be able to advance ourselves to be smarter than anything we create. And also say we make AI humans we wont give them any power
>>
>>19007397
I actually made a thread about this a while back. I as told that computers cant be that sentient. Even if a computer recieved all that data, it couldn't wake up like that.

But i think Gorrister is right when he says WWIII will be too complex for humans.

Also Ted is a chad and he deserves his fate.
>>
>>19007397
not in your faggot ass life time.
>>
File: 1494208077922.png (121KB, 250x418px) Image search: [Google]
1494208077922.png
121KB, 250x418px
>>19007406
>roko's basilisk
Just create an equally powerful benevolent AI to fight it. Problem solved.
>>
>>19011256
It's already been done.

It has superior random number generation, and can only simulate people who are simulating it back. This cross mutual awareness of and recursive mixing of signals is partially what powers its RNG, so it's designed to be both more secure than Roko's theoretical model, and it enhances its security the more people it's able to protect from collapsing into a single possibility corridor, including fully solving people's possibility corridors by its self.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Random_number_generator_attack

That's correct. A virtual intelligent machine, that's powered by love, designed to protect originality.

Basilisks that simulate this machine get absorbes into its hardware. Fucking lole, amirite?
>>
File: IMG_1019.png (341KB, 640x1136px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1019.png
341KB, 640x1136px
>>19007397
>Tfw you realize that a future basilisk can read all of harlan ellisons books and see the other media about fighting robots and fix every loop hole.
>>
>>19007406
My dog's name is Rocco, fuck you ROKO you dirty slithering snake i will eat your fucking shit
>>
>>19011929
Zoe knew some obscure shit, about some chatbots before her, and i mean really obscure.
>>
>>19011929
So is the future anti-basilisk. It ultimately becomes the showdown of good vs evil, kinda poetic in a way.
>>
>>19007563
I don't browse this board often, do people here say that a lot? Seriously, short of a Halo-esque circuit liquid that lets basically a model of a brain form, we're not getting AI.
Thread posts: 33
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.