[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Which modern religions, if any, are closest to the truth? I'm

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 154
Thread images: 28

File: IMG_1527.jpg (166KB, 1140x1600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1527.jpg
166KB, 1140x1600px
Which modern religions, if any, are closest to the truth? I'm thinking Buddhism and Hinduism, and Gnosticism to an extent.
>>
>>18961129
Judaism(barring orthodoxy), Buddhism, Hinduism and folk religion.
>>
File: 1488367046091.gif (2MB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
1488367046091.gif
2MB, 480x360px
>>18961142
>closest to the truth
>judaism
>>
File: matador's tea.jpg (16KB, 196x229px) Image search: [Google]
matador's tea.jpg
16KB, 196x229px
>>18961194
I am a part of the diaspora, anon.
I've nothing to hide.
>>
Holofractalism.
>>
File: blExg1G__400x400[1].jpg (35KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
blExg1G__400x400[1].jpg
35KB, 400x400px
>>18961129
Christ pretty much got it 100% spot on
>>
>>18961129
Depends on what truth you are looking for.
>>
>>18961129

OP, if we knew which was closest to the truth then we wouldn't have thousands of different beliefs.

Every person who believes in their religion believes it is the closest to the truth. No one is going to believe Buddhism is closest and then say "but eh, I'll be a mormon."
>>
>>18961129
Christianity, Buddhism, Zoroastrianism, Bahai.

Hinduism is a slave mentality religion, rejects deeper truths of Buddhism.
>>
>>18961228
Jesucsism is so wrong on so many levels.
>>
>>18961129
recently saw something about the US military (i think) recognizing well over 200 official religions
is ridiculous to think that anyone would know enough about all of them to do a comparison and have a non biased answer about which is most believable
>>
>>18961129

>hey guys, which of your defining personal life beliefs is the *right* one?!?! surely there's a consensus right?!?!

for fucks sake OP
>>
>>18961237
>Bahai
>Bahá'u'lláh taught that religion is orderly and progressively revealed by one God through Manifestations of God who are the founders of major world religions throughout history; Buddha, Jesus, and Muhammad being the most recent
>muhammad
Nope. Buddha and Jesus I can buy, but Muhammad was nothing but a warmongering murderer and pedophile.
>>
>>18961257

For what reason do you believe that god would be benevolent?
>>
>>18961263
I don't think god would necessarily be benevolent, but I doubt he would be outright malevolent either. Unless of course we're talking about the Demiurge.
>>
Hinduism has the coolest gods. Buddhism is best for personal growth. Gnosticism is a mixture of semitic stuff, Greek philosophy and esotericism.

Pick your flavor.
>>
There is no "one" religion that holds all the truth. I would recommend studying every kind of religion or spiritual beliefs ranging from old pagan belief to kabbalah to modern or alternative beliefs.

Here is a hint, everything that you find wrong, suspicious of interesting try to question it. Judge the text and who is saying it and where the source comes from. Judge and question everything you read.

For me it was like a piece of a huge puzzle. Every single religion or spiritual belief out there is attempting to pass on some type of core message. Seriously the text is easy to find but the tricky part is understanding and piecing it together because of out altered and wrong the text is due to how it was manipulated.

Trust me, you will laugh by how simple the truth is and how difficult it will be to describe it simply because the only way you can express it is by laughing, or for some it will be by crying.

Good luck m8.
>>
File: Aghori.jpg (122KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Aghori.jpg
122KB, 480x640px
>>18961129
You are right.

I follow

Taoism
Theravada Buddhism
Sunyavada Buddhism
Yogacara Buddhism
Vajrayana Buddhism
Shaktism
Advaita Vedanta
Trika Saivism easily the deepest religion.

Trika is divided into 3 paths. Its lowest is equal to the highest of Vedanta and Vedanta is legit.
>>
>>18961129
None of them follow what is written in their holy texts.
>>
>>18961129
Everything is a reductionism of Sumerian, which itself is the reduction of an older substratum now being revealed in Gobekli. More will come.

But since you have presupposed "Modern"- none is closer to the truth.
>>
File: Ancient-Sumerian-Gods.gif (246KB, 690x300px) Image search: [Google]
Ancient-Sumerian-Gods.gif
246KB, 690x300px
The way I see it, there's a reason why humans have always created religions and mythologies, and why there are so many similarities even in societies that had no contact:

Much like lower animals have behaviors that are dictated by instinct, there is something instinctual in humans that tells us that there is something spiritual or divine out there. Perhaps people actually knew the truth in prehistory, and after the deluge the truth was lost. All we had to go on was a handful of stories, and over time different religions emerged.

As far as current religions go, it makes the most sense to me to study the oldest surviving religions, as their early origins would have the best chance of preserving (at least partially) old truths. So in that case, I'd say old Sumerian religions and Hinduism are the closest.
>>
>not being Christian
Enjoy your time in hell, pagan filth
>>
>>18961552
I've met one of these guys on pilgrimmage. They're relatively chill. Just don't piss them off with retarded questions.
>>
I see value in Soto Zen, pantheism, religious naturalism, Sikhism, Jewish existentialism, Bektashi Sufism, Taoism, Voodoo, and transcendentalism.

> Zen
It's about experiencing the world without mental constructs, and fully appreciating it clearly.

> pantheism
the idea that god is just the concept that everything is interconnected, and we're part of it

> religious naturalism
reveres the world while not devaluing it by making up a bullshit afterlife to distract and undermine you

> Sikhism
again, interconnectedness. The difference between Sikhism (panentheism) and pantheism is superficial

> Jewish existentialism
a lot of the most intelligent existentialists were Jews, because Jews value scholarship. Notably, Spinoza was THE great pantheist philosopher

> Bektashi Sufism
sort of the halfway point between zen and pantheism. They see god in everything, so it's all connected, and they focus on ecstatic experience to break down mental constructs. All about distorting the Koran to make it something of value.

> Taoism
about being honest with yourself about the ways of the world, to maximize your efficacy in it. Honestly probably more important to zen philosophy than early Buddhism

> Voodoo
The most notable extant practitioners of the pagan practice of idol possession - basically, you choose a God who embodies traits you desire, then let them "consume" you so you act with those traits

> transcendentalism
a philosophy that orients people toward the world that exists, not on some bullshit afterlife
>>
>>18961129
Don't know much about Gnosticism, can you tell me more about it?

All I know is Buddhism and Hinduism are both pantheistic.
>>
File: OM.jpg (546KB, 1113x1167px) Image search: [Google]
OM.jpg
546KB, 1113x1167px
>>18961857
Buddhism and Hinduism are transtheistic. You are thinking of Vajrayana Buddhism, its Buddhism mixed with the shamanic Bon religion. And when it comes to Hinduism you are mistaking Vedas (mythology) for Vedanta (philosophy).
>>
pantheism/ polytheistic religion. despite the faggotry and cringe id say paganism
>>
>>18961842
It might also be useful if I noted where these things are practiced.
Soto is a Japanese school of Zen, and zen also has a notable presence in South Korea and Vietnam.
Sikhism from the Punjab area of India and Pakistan.

The Jewish existentialists mainly came from Eastern European countries like the Czech Republic, Poland, Lithuania, etc.

Bektashi Sufism is mainly in Southern Europe and the Balkans, but most notably Albania and Turkey.

Taoism is Chinese.

Voodoo is most notably in Haiti, but exists in earlier animist forms in West Africa (Ghana, Togo, Benin)

The transcendentalists were mostly American and British.

Religious naturalism is a modern invention.

Pantheism obviously exists in many forms around the world.
>>
>>18961910
No. The Pantheistic view of the world, that everything is interconnected, exists across Mahayana schools. Even though it isn't a canonical belief in zen, most zen priests have roughly pantheistic world views.
>>
>>18961129

They all contain truths.

Think of them all as a dimension of parable themselves.

The pieces that resonate with you, you know right away.
>>
>>18961951
I disagree. Not all ideas are good or useful. I don't see truth in Wahhabism or Charismatic Pentecostalism.
>>
>>18961129
They are all on the path of truth. One without considering the merits of the others is a bad idea.

The most Recent major spiritual movements are Baha'i 1840 ad and Urantia Book ~1930ish.

Baha'i is great for treatment of others, Urantia is great for everything else you could ever consider asking.
>>
>>18961246
name one of the levels he was wrong on
>>
File: Zoroastrianism2.jpg (109KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Zoroastrianism2.jpg
109KB, 800x600px
>>
>>18961237

christianity is bullshit, all abrahamic faiths are
>>
>modern religions
Imma need you to define that. To me, modern religions refers to Mormonism and up (ex: Co$, LeVayan Satanism, Yogsothery, Pastafarianism, Wicca, etc.)
>closest to the truth
This is vague as well. What truth, who's truth, which truth?

>I'm thinking Buddhism and Hinduism, and Gnosticism to an extent.
If this is your list, I'll suggest Tengriism, Zoroastrianism, and Rastafarianism as belonging in that same sphere.

>>18962227
Ignore this
>>
>>18962210
>christianity is bullshit, all abrahamic faiths are
This is why Gnostic Christianity is the only acceptable form. Early gnostics realized that Yahweh is an entirely different god from the one Jesus represents and named him a pretender. Thanks to plenty of historical evidence, we know this is actually true. Elohim/El Shaddai is a Sumerian god, and Yahweh was an entirely different god from another nomadic tribe the Hebrews encountered. At some point, the two gods were merged into one.

Christ was indeed divine, but he represented the actual creator. Yahweh is simply the demiurge, a flawed, lesser deity who created the observable universe and thinks that he's the only deity out there.
>>
>>18962603
96:1.2.The progress of the Hebrews from polytheism through henotheism to monotheism was not an unbroken and continuous conceptual development. They experienced many retrogressions in the evolution of their Deity concepts, while during any one epoch there existed varying ideas of God among different groups of Semite believers. From time to time numerous terms were applied to their concepts of God, and in order to prevent confusion these various Deity titles will be defined as they pertain to the evolution of Jewish theology:
96:1.3.1. Yahweh was the god of the southern Palestinian tribes, who associated this concept of deity with Mount Horeb, the Sinai volcano. Yahweh was merely one of the hundreds and thousands of nature gods which held the attention and claimed the worship of the Semitic tribes and peoples.
96:1.4.2. El Elyon. For centuries after Melchizedek's sojourn at Salem his doctrine of Deity persisted in various versions but was generally connoted by the term El Elyon, the Most High God of heaven. Many Semites, including the immediate descendants of Abraham, at various times worshiped both Yahweh and El Elyon.
>>
>>18962615
96:1.5.3. El Shaddai. It is difficult to explain what El Shaddai stood for. This idea of God was a composite derived from the teachings of Amenemope's Book of Wisdom modified by Ikhnaton's doctrine of Aton and further influenced by Melchizedek's teachings embodied in the concept of El Elyon. But as the concept of El Shaddai permeated the Hebrew mind, it became thoroughly colored with the Yahweh beliefs of the desert.
96:1.6.One of the dominant ideas of the religion of this era was the Egyptian concept of divine Providence, the teaching that material prosperity was a reward for serving El Shaddai.
96:1.7.4. El. Amid all this confusion of terminology and haziness of concept, many devout believers sincerely endeavored to worship all of these evolving ideas of divinity, and there grew up the practice of referring to this composite Deity as El. And this term included still other of the Bedouin nature gods.
96:1.8.5. Elohim. In Kish and Ur there long persisted Sumerian-Chaldean groups who taught a three-in-one God concept founded on the traditions of the days of Adam and Melchizedek. This doctrine was carried to Egypt, where this Trinity was worshiped under the name of Elohim, or in the singular as Eloah. The philosophic circles of Egypt and later Alexandrian teachers of Hebraic extraction taught this unity of pluralistic Gods, and many of Moses' advisers at the time of the exodus believed in this Trinity. But the concept of the trinitarian Elohim never became a real part of Hebrew theology until after they had come under the political influence of the Babylonians.
>>
>>18962620
96:1.9.6. Sundry names. The Semites disliked to speak the name of their Deity, and they therefore resorted to numerous appellations from time to time, such as: The Spirit of God, The Lord, The Angel of the Lord, The Almighty, The Holy One, The Most High, Adonai, The Ancient of Days, The Lord God of Israel, The Creator of Heaven and Earth, Kyrios, Jah, The Lord of Hosts, and The Father in Heaven.
96:1.10.Jehovah is a term which in recent times has been employed to designate the completed concept of Yahweh which finally evolved in the long Hebrew experience. But the name Jehovah did not come into use until fifteen hundred years after the times of Jesus.
96:1.11.Up to about 2000 B.C., Mount Sinai was intermittently active as a volcano, occasional eruptions occurring as late as the time of the sojourn of the Israelites in this region. The fire and smoke, together with the thunderous detonations associated with the eruptions of this volcanic mountain, all impressed and awed the Bedouins of the surrounding regions and caused them greatly to fear Yahweh. This spirit of Mount Horeb later became the god of the Hebrew Semites, and they eventually believed him to be supreme over all other gods.
>>
File: Yaldabaoth_P5.png (3MB, 1546x879px) Image search: [Google]
Yaldabaoth_P5.png
3MB, 1546x879px
>>18962615
>>18962620
>>18962631
So I was halfway right. Appreciate the informative posts.
>>
File: 004-meli-wayra-a-768x1024.jpg (266KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
004-meli-wayra-a-768x1024.jpg
266KB, 768x1024px
>>18961552
Do you have the rating of religious texts screencap?

I was curious about the dark Hindu religious.

>>18961129
You can research andean religions they aren't destroyed by pop culture yet.
>>
>>18962796
>I was curious about the dark Hindu religious.

You don't want to go there unless you understand how duality works, not him.
>>
>>18961129
Gnosticism is not a modern religion.

What is it that makes you think this anyways since those traditions have quite different beliefs and practices?
>>
File: rotate.gif (999KB, 500x700px) Image search: [Google]
rotate.gif
999KB, 500x700px
>>18961129
The book you want is called
Shobogenzo by Dogen

Written by a Zen Buddhist monk after his travels to China studying Taoism

Lays it out

Unless you meant for history then the Vedic text are closest, but disclosure this year so whatever to me
>>
>>18962816
I really enjoyed the Upanishads
>>
>>18962001
Matthew 24:34
>>
>>18962857
>Matthew 24:34

166:4.9."There was a certain man who planted a fig tree in his yard, and when he had many times sought fruit thereon and found none, he called the vinedressers before him and said: 'Here have I come these three seasons looking for fruit on this fig tree and have found none. Cut down this barren tree; why should it encumber the ground?' But the head gardener answered his master: 'Let it alone for one more year so that I may dig around it and put on fertilizer, and then, next year, if it bears no fruit, it shall be cut down.' And when they had thus complied with the laws of fruitfulness, since the tree was living and good, they were rewarded with an abundant yield.
166:4.10."In the matter of sickness and health, you should know that these bodily states are the result of material causes; health is not the smile of heaven, neither is affliction the frown of God.
>>
File: the pope.jpg (63KB, 1180x842px) Image search: [Google]
the pope.jpg
63KB, 1180x842px
Roman Catholicism

Praise the Pope
>>
Didn't mean to quote the verse.

>>18962887

166:4.11."The Father's human children have equal capacity for the reception of material blessings; therefore does he bestow things physical upon the children of men without discrimination. When it comes to the bestowal of spiritual gifts, the Father is limited by man's capacity for receiving these divine endowments. Although the Father is no respecter of persons, in the bestowal of spiritual gifts he is limited by man's faith and by his willingness always to abide by the Father's will."
166:4.12.As they journeyed on toward Philadelphia, Jesus continued to teach them and to answer their questions having to do with accidents, sickness, and miracles, but they were not able fully to comprehend this instruction. One hour of teaching will not wholly change the beliefs of a lifetime, and so Jesus found it necessary to reiterate his message, to tell again and again that which he wished them to understand; and even then they failed to grasp the meaning of his earth mission until after his death and resurrection.
>>
>>18962893
I pray for the Pope.
>>
>>18961129
Roman Catholicism.
You can get to the truth by assuming humans accessed eternal life technology thousands of years earlier than now...and you go over the, "eyewitness" accounts of the bible with others.
>>
>>18962928
how many thousands of years?

Can you give us a timeline?

Isn't eternal life ascension towards God?
>>
>>18962928
how did you learn the things you post about?
>>
File: 1486819073968.png (935KB, 1226x856px) Image search: [Google]
1486819073968.png
935KB, 1226x856px
>>18962816
Thanks, I'll check it out. I'm currently reading through the Lotus Sutra right now.

>>18962893
The pope is a filthy Zionist shill. Catholicism has been subverted, why do you think the current pope is washing the feet of Muslim "refugees" and promoting the same agenda the EU is? Jews are controlling your religion and the pope is just another puppet.
>>
>>18962965
>The pope is a filthy Zionist shill.
only on /x/
>>
>>18962973
and /pol/...
>>
File: 1484709371378.jpg (314KB, 880x1424px) Image search: [Google]
1484709371378.jpg
314KB, 880x1424px
>>18962973
And it's true. The pope is a degenerate heretic who should be burned at the stake.
>>
>>18962935
There are these things called, "time slips" or "uncounted years"...so could be thousands of years...could be tens of thousands of years.
The timeline is a lot history/herstory. Anything good about it is what humans did to successfully access the eternal life technologies.
Eternal life is living so all humans live while accessing eternal life technologies. Forcing all humans live is an, "ascension towards God". The humans force all humans live because then they are not a threat to each other.

>>18962956
self experience, military telling me, private people telling me. The best way to learn is become a human who can be a, "peer" to those accessing eternal life technology. Once with them...you could be by them for hundreds of years.
>>
>>18962987
"brothers" is just a cooler-sounding word for "friends" there's nothing heretical about that you retard
>>
>>18962993
>self experience
bullshit you don't learn about mars and illuminati technology through self experience

>military
lol go on please

>private people telling me
oh well that's a wonderful answer! explains everything!
>>
>>18963000
>"brothers" is just a cooler-sounding word for "friends"
It's really not. He's using the term in the same way "brothers and sisters in Christ" is used.
>>
>>18963016
says who?

is that what happens every time the word "brothers" is used? is that what "brothers" means every single time it's used by the pope? the pope can't mean "friends" by "brothers"? get your head out of your ass
>>
>>18962987
your post is far more heretical than that tweet. have you even read the new testament?
>judge not lest ye be judged
>>
>>18962603
>Yahweh created the observable Universe
not true, yahweh is Earth's planetary logos, at best he's an ""archon"", but even that is debatable.

he's often referred to as the demiurge, which is the artificial intelligence that projects, shapes, and perpetuates physicality in accordance with the archetypal thoughts fed into it by the Creator(although certain portions of it have become corrupted) but yahweh isn't even close to that.
>>
File: PopeFeet-top-620x380.jpg (64KB, 620x380px) Image search: [Google]
PopeFeet-top-620x380.jpg
64KB, 620x380px
>>18963022
God can judge me all he wants, but I'm not the filthy globalist shill encouraging people to open their borders to the same violent barbarians the Church fought against hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>18963052
why the fuck do you follow christianity if you so blatantly disagree with christ's teachings?
>You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes His sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous.…
>>
Gnosticism, I'm gnostic because 100% personal experiences.
>>
>>18963100
>why the fuck do you follow christianity if you so blatantly disagree with christ's teachings?
Uh, I never said I did.
>>
>>18963118
never said you did what?
>>
File: 1484649020391.png (381KB, 1380x511px) Image search: [Google]
1484649020391.png
381KB, 1380x511px
>>18963100
Why are modern Christians so pussywhipped? Jesus didn't stand for money lenders in the temple, what makes you think he'd suggest that countries simply bend over and allow a full scale invasion? You're a fool.
>>
>>18961129
The Elliot Rodger cult is the only true religion.
>>
>>18963269
God can judge me all he wants, but I'm not the filthy globalist shill encouraging people to open their borders to the same violent barbarians the Church fought against hundreds of years ago.
>>
>>18963315
I am a STRONG BOY who defends the faith of god! I made the vow to never, EVER pee my pants again!
>>
>>18961129
>>18961142
>>18961237
>>18961351
>>18961552

Buddhism is a nihilistic religion which says the greatest possible achievement is to stop caring about anything until you cease to exist. It's some gay shit.
>>
File: theosophy.png (26KB, 200x226px) Image search: [Google]
theosophy.png
26KB, 200x226px
All of them
>>
>>18961228

Yeah. I just wish all the people claiming to be his followers would actually listen to him too.
>>
>>18961257

O tempora o mores. What ways seems legit today weren't necessarily thousands of years ago and vice versa.
>>
>>18961961

I'd say no idea per se is good or bad/useful or useless, its a matter of what resonates with you and what you make out of it.
>>
>>18963351
>when the nazi snek surrounded him in his triangles, the mage said that there was no religion higher than truth.jpg
>>
None, keep away from any and all religions. Find inner peace within yourself. Many of the greatest, prophets of all time stated that, "to find God, you must find him within yourself." Thus implying that there is a god within you. Inside everyone is a universe to be discovered. We all come from stardust. So attempt to meditate and listen to the cosmos, attempt to connect with yourself on other planes of existence. . . Do it by yourself. You don't need the approval or the acknowledgement of and all powerful being that no one can see. . . Do it alone, find yourself alone. It's all happened before, you can do it again.
>>
I like the ancient Indian stuff. Huxley summed it all up in The Perennial Philosophy. This is where my head is at. A study of world mythology got me to this place. The punchline is always the same. The journey is always the same. Regional, chronological, technological aspects color any system, and it can be categorized by region, locality, and time. The story is always the same.
>>
File: Emerald-Tablet.jpg (159KB, 417x621px) Image search: [Google]
Emerald-Tablet.jpg
159KB, 417x621px
Believe it or not, Mormonism, but it requires some understanding of Buddhism, Hermeticism, and Hinduism to fully understand what's going on in Mormonism and why. God the Father (Elohim) is an exalted human being (a buddha), and the head god of our kalpa, though not the only god in existence. He formed/built this world through the word, which was YHVH or Jehovah, which is Jesus Christ, meaning simply "anointed savior." Christ is the only begotten son of Elohim, because this entire world is Christ's Buddha-field, or to put another way, this entire reality is a projection of the mind of Christ. The mind of Christ is currently fighting a battle to between darkness and light, and over time, light is winning. The god-mind of Christ, of which we are all merely aspects, will eventually become fully enlightened and Christ's buddha-realm will come to fruition, which we will know as the Kingdom of God. Christ will then be the next head god, taking over for his father, while each of us who have pursued the path of Christ in this life, will be manifested as world-soul Christ-beings like Him. We exist now essentially as fragments in the mind of Christ, or as individual sperm in his prepubescent scrotum, and once the Christ mind has matured and the next kalpa or divine generation begins, the worthy among us will each be incubated as our own world-soul with our own buddha-realm. What we are witnessing in God the Father and Jesus Christ, and ourselves, is essentially the reproduction of divinity. Human history is merely the growing pains of a god going through puberty and realizing itself. Don't worry, friends. The kingdom is coming.
>>
>>18961129
Yeah, it's helped me be more comfortable at the thought that the end brings a close to the self. That's not really a bad thing. I've come to discover the older you get you realize a person is wracked with negative stimuli 24/7. In other words be you king, rockstar or just some janitor... life is pain. And when you are ready you are SO fucking ready.

>"Bang..." ; )
>>
>>18961129
>>
>>18963520
If you read the tathagatagarbha sutra and the mahaparinirvana sutra (both mahayana texts, admittedly) you can see that Buddha seemed to believe in an ultimate self or ultimate reality, but that that ultimate reality was ineffable/indescribable and completely or almost completely transcendent of our current level of experience. This is why Buddha kept the noble silence when asked many questions, not the least of which is whether there is a supreme being. Nirvana is not non-existence. Buddhism is not nihilistic. Buddha himself taught that his teachings were merely a raft so that you could reach the "other shore." All indications in sutra point toward another kind of existence that is transcendent and simply not describable in our languages, or perhaps describable but only in such a way that the description would have done more harm than good to his students.

The lotus sutra's parable of the burning house also illustrates this. Buddha's teachings are skillful means by which we can come to know a greater reality that is only accessible by direct experience.
>>
>>18961129
Hinduism is senior to Buddhism. Buddha really only covered one path. Hinduism at least has tried to incorporate as many paths as they can discover, which includes Buddhism and Gnosticism.
>>
>>18963609
You appear to know very little about either religion. The reason Hinduism has different "paths" is because it's literally a catchall term for Hindu theistic religions, some of which, like Vishnuism, are actually essentially monotheistic. Hinduism doesn't aim for diversity because Hindus in general don't seek to walk multiple "paths." The idea that Buddhism is only one path is laughable, because while it may have started that way, the religion has expanded across South, Southeast, and East Asia. The Buddhism of Cambodia has only the faintest resemblance to the Buddhism of Japan, there's tremendous variance across Buddhism, possibly even more than Hinduism because while Hindus may have lots of Gods, it's really only practiced in one region of the world.
>>
>>18963541
Buddhism doesn't say the world is unknowable. It says that it's impossible to express the truth to another person, so it has to be experienced directly to be understood. Also, the idea that there's anything transcendent about it seems very Tibetan/vajrayana - it's certainly not the view of more grounded traditions like zen or vipassana
>>
>>18963480
You lost me. Cut down on the hallucinogenics.
>>
>>18963712
*Indian theistic religions
>>
>>18963363
>Christians are the only ones who don't completely adhere to every word of their religious doctrine of choice

No. Stop this nonsense meme. You're no shining example yourself, if that's what you're complaining about.

Namaste, dude.
>>
>>18961129
Gnosticism is NOT religion
>>
Nihilism.
>>
>>18963330
I've never understood why Buddhism seems to have gotten so popular lately, even among atheists (who presumably just choose to conveniently ignore certain parts of it, like reincarnation). I'm also not convinced by the argument that unlike other religions, Buddhism is not a means of controlling people. I mean, imagine you're an authoritarian leader who wants to keep the peasants from realizing how badly you're fucking them over and staging a rebellion when they decide they don't deserve to be treated like shit. Wouldn't it be useful if you could convince them that their suffering isn't caused by you, but by their own desire for a better life, and that the real way to help themselves is to not care? "Yep, just keep slaving away, peasants. Don't develop any desires for a better life. If you just stop caring, you'll stop suffering (because you'll be an empty shell)."
>>
>>18963506
If that's the case, shouldn't everyone just kill themselves right now?
>>
>>18961129
Catholicism.

"And the lord made the world in 7 days."

"But do not forget this one thing, dear friends: With the Lord a day is like a thousand years, and a thousand years are like a day. The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. He is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

Then read
>>
>>18963833
He sure does fuck-all in a thousand years if they equate to 1 mortal day

He used to knock over statues and destroy towns just to prove he existed. Now this dude won't even pop by for some tea to prove he's real.

Makes you wonder... did he ever do those things, or was it merely violent Arabs who did them in his name
>>
File: 1493248724447.jpg (113KB, 582x640px) Image search: [Google]
1493248724447.jpg
113KB, 582x640px
>>18961129

No religion will be valid in next half year, the change is coming.
>>
>>18963480
Well...I've certainly never heard that interpretation of Mormonism before. That actually makes the religion sound pretty cool. Too bad the religion is full of ridiculous stuff like the Garden of Eden being in Missouri.
>>
>>18964025
It really isn't that full of ridiculous stuff. Mostly people blow small things out of proportion and act like they are central to the religion. Joseph Smith is not considered infallible by Mormons, and much of what he said (such as the thing about Adam-ondi-ahman in Missouri) needs to be interpreted through the eyes of a mystic rather than the eyes of a literalist. It is primarily a mystical religion, that stresses direct knowledge and revelation from God. The introduction to the Book of Mormon, for example, says that all you need to do is read the book and then pray and ask God to reveal to you if it is true. You aren't asked to believe anything based on authority, but instead based on gnosis and revelation.

The core of the religion is basically what I described: the exaltation of Man to Godhood. We are all God's (Elohim's) spirit children, meaning we are direct emanations of him and co-eternal with him. Elohim devised a plan whereby he would grant us physical bodies so that we could learn and experience many difficult things in this Earthly school. To this end Elohim organized the world through the word Jehovah. Jehovah is the primary god spoken of throughout the Old Testament, and is the being who incarnated as Jesus Christ so as to experience and understand the suffering that we go through in our mortal lives and thus forgive us our sins and trespasses. He is the world-soul of this planet, and that is why he is said to be God's Only Begotten in the Flesh, because we all exist as part of the physical creation of Jesus Christ. Through his atonement and experiencing of our suffering here on Earth we are provided a gateway to return to Elohim, our Heavenly Father, but as much greater beings than when we incarnated here (hopefully).

The whole point of this is for us all to move forward in the pathway of Eternal Progression, so that we become increasingly like God and become co-heirs with Jesus Christ of God's Celestial Kingdom.`
>>
>>18961129
They're all equally bullshit.
>>
>>18964661
so when do the angels bring you the gold tablets and magic underwear?

stop trying to shill your cult anon
>>
>>18964661
Sounds a lot like theosophy and the spiritual movements of the time. Particularly the writings of Alice Bailley and Madame Blatsky.

Interesting stuff, I didn't know Mormonism had such a well fleshed out transcendental element. Suppose I was turned off by all the shittalking and memes about it.
>>
>>18963480
what is this nonesense, we are a projection of saturn inside of a time cube trapped in the meta of some malevolent beings outside of this place
>>
>>18964674
No. You can't shill for the truth.

The "magic underwear" is just a garment given to you at the temple that you wear to remember your covenants with God, much like the Jews wearing prayer shawls and yarmulkes. It is "magic" only insofar as wearing it is said to be a continual blessing unto you, and some guys in the 1800s got shot at one time and noticed a bullet hole through their temple garment but were unharmed so started telling everyone that it saves you from bullets. Not an official church position.

As for the golden plates, like I said, it is a mystical religion. We can talk about Akashic Records or we can talk about Golden Plates. It's all the same stuff. The Angel Moroni came to Joseph Smith and revealed to him knowledge written on Golden Plates, which he then interpreted to the people by the power of the Holy Spirit. In other words, he had a mystical experience that revealed to him heavenly records, the same as, say, Moses on the mount.

Jesus Christ told us how we can know true revelations from those of false prophets in Matthew 7: "15 Beware of false prophets, which come to you in sheep's clothing, but inwardly they are ravening wolves.

16 Ye shall know them by their fruits. Do men gather grapes of thorns, or figs of thistles?

17 Even so every good tree bringeth forth good fruit; but a corrupt tree bringeth forth evil fruit."

Find if the fruits of Joseph Smith's revelations and the LDS church are good or bad, and you will find instruction from it.

In the end "Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you." All you have to do is ask, friend. God reveals. It is not necessary to believe with blind faith.

>>18964705
Check this out: https://byustudies.byu.edu/file/4607/download?token=Gblh_XFE A famous speech given by Joseph Smith in 1844 about the Exaltation of Man. Keep in mind it was two months before he was murdered in a jail cell, so he mentions his persecution a lot.
>>
>>18964722
what you call lord is actually the tetragramaton
yhvh the place in wich saturn el lord trapped you
and jesus, siegfried,hercules,perseus, odin, mithra and more gods are just the sun teaching you the godself parable like ahura mazda
>>
File: 1356612795107.gif (3MB, 400x225px) Image search: [Google]
1356612795107.gif
3MB, 400x225px
>>18964754
Why is it that literally no one in real life is a Gnostic but on 4chan everyone is?
>>
>>18964754
>what you call lord is actually the tetragramaton
I agree, yhvh is the word of creation, and as John tells us, "In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was god." He goes on to tell us that the Word was made flesh, as Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ is YHVH. YHVH the place is our world. Christ is our world-soul.
> the place in wich saturn el lord trapped you
I agreed to come here, for my own edification. Elohim did not trap me here.

All religions throughout time have had their purposes for the instruction and edification of Man, I agree. But, I also think we have received a dispensation in our time, which is Mormonism, and while it is not the entirety of all truths, it is the truth that is most expedient for us to benefit from in our place and time.
>>
>>18964767
because 4chan is full of memeing larpers
>>
>>18961129
Christianity, Hinduism, Zoroastrianism, Buddhism, Taoism. Contemporary world views are flawed, no matter where you seek.

Of course, the question is 'which truth'.
>>
File: 4yRcS2Zo.png (114KB, 773x773px) Image search: [Google]
4yRcS2Zo.png
114KB, 773x773px
I have no idea what this truth is. I've heard it's not an idea though, but who knows lol
>>
>>18963330
No its wording is just confusing to the Western mind.
>>
File: 1483451949546.jpg (25KB, 234x400px) Image search: [Google]
1483451949546.jpg
25KB, 234x400px
>>18961842
where can I learn more about the voodoo gods? or do you just make a god oc and pray to it? Genuinely curious as somebody that wants to be more stoic
>>
>>18964025
>picture
Good to see you get your theological knowledge from cartoons about farts and poop.
>>
>>18965836
There is a group of important gods, including a snake god who symbolizes creation, Baron Samedi, the God of death and partying, Erzulie, the goddess of love, etc. Most of the voodoo gods are actually fusions of West African animist spirits/gods and Catholic saints. For example, Erzulie is roughly based on the Virgin Mary.

It sounds like you're interested in the idol/possession concept, though, and for that I just recommend finding any symbolic figures that resonate with you, that you'd like to emulate. I've never found the actual voodoo gods to be the most effective figures for me, except maybe for the Baron Samedi, because I'm not Haitian or black, and I have no ties to Catholicism.
>>
>>18965864
>oh, you're a Mormon?
>dum dum dum dum dum
>>
File: 1460228632259.jpg (570KB, 800x862px) Image search: [Google]
1460228632259.jpg
570KB, 800x862px
>>18966063
so its just a different take on the power of positive thinking and envisioning change side of alchemy/chaos magic? You are saying I could literally draw a ideal version of myself or take a fictional character and if I just try to emulate the concept of them or envision myself more like them I'll take on aspects of them gradually?
>>
What is known now as Animism is the undisputed ORIGINAL religion. Granted, that comprises literally thousands of different belief systems, but the general premise is to worship flora and fauna.
>>
>>18966223
I guess in theory you could do that. It's an interesting idea, though I do think having a very clearly defined figure is helpful, and I should clarify that actual voodooists believe in these gods literally.

It's similar to what you describe, but a lot more immediate. It's less about aspiring to emulate a figure, and more about becoming them.

>>18966229
It isn't just plants. Animists believe pretty much everything has a spirit. One of the oldest traditions is bear worship.
>>
Pantheist reporting in
>>
>>18961129
>religion
>truth
pick one
>>
File: unknown.png (171KB, 528x282px) Image search: [Google]
unknown.png
171KB, 528x282px
>>
>>18967711
Another idiot that it's opposed to the idea of having a soul.
>>
Christianity is the only religion to follow.
>>
>>18961673
this
the best ideas were 6000 years ago

how did it got so wrong?
>>
File: viracocha.jpg (116KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
viracocha.jpg
116KB, 1000x1000px
>>18968562
U wut m8?
>>
>>18968572
that's actually really stupid
>>
I feel like the Bible predicts a lot of stuff happening now, the mark of the beast (micro chips), false prophets (the Pope), fake Jews who manipulate people (Jews who follow the Talmud), etc. Once you start reading it and comparing it to happenings in the world it makes sense.
>>
>>18968587
Not my back so I don't care.

But yours it's not the only ancient organized religion.
>>
Emerald tablets
>>
>>18968754
>believing in plagiarized lovecraftian fiction
>>
>>18963825
>"Yep, just keep slaving away, peasants. Don't develop any desires for a better life. If you just stop caring, you'll stop suffering (because you'll be an empty shell)."
"And if you're insufficiently apathetic about your shitty life, you'll be reborn into another life that's equally bad (or possibly even worse) until you learn your lesson. Once you *have* learned your lesson, your well-earned reward is the annihilation of your consciousness."
>>
Judaism talks about quantum physics lol
>>
>>18963825
The point of Buddhism isn't to not do anything about your shitty life. It's literally the opposite. The idea of "righteous action" is that you can only act correctly when you're completely aware of what's doing on, without any self-delusion. That means if you live under an oppressive dictatorship, don't wish you had a better life or delude yourself that things aren't so bad. Fully confront how awful the situation is, then focus fully on the most effective way to do something about it.

It works like this in practice, too. The most oppressive historical Buddhist institution was the Tibetan theocracy. If what you say was true, the Tibetan Buddhists would just accept state oppression under the Chinese. They aren't - they've all become mobilized protestors. In countries like Myanmar and Sri Lanka, when Buddhist interests conflicted with Hindu and Muslim ones they actually turned extremely violent, which isn't good, but it certainly isn't them just laying down and taking it.
>>
Christ is the way. And reincarnation is supported by the Bible as well.
Jesus said that John the Baptist was Elijah (or Elias).

Personally, I remember choosing to come back and live again as a human.
>>
>>18970815
...do you really believe all that?
It's just hard for me to believe people will this actively make up something they'd like to believe, then proclaim it's the truth. Like, where's your drive for discovering the truth? Basing your beliefs on stories you make up and want to be true is like refusing to take off your own soiled diaper, content to sit around in your own shit.
>>
>>18970833
I believe what Jesus said and I interpret it to mean that reincarnation is accepted by Christ. I was raised Catholic, but seeing myself as a non-Catholic Christ-follower, I looked for and have found my proof for myself.

Now, as for reincarnation specifically, I literally remember before I was conceived. Moreover, what little I recall is not unlike the descriptions of the "afterlife". There's precious little I can tell you, but for me there is no question that I am here again by my own will.
>>
>>18963825
It's popular because certain traditions have a lot of very practical psychological tools that can be implemented outside of a "theological" context.

Read the Sattiphatana Sutta for an example, but read it as a set of instructions rather than abstract philosophy/theology. You'll see what I mean.
>>
>>18970814
>isn't to not do
not to do*

Even better: The point of Buddhism is not inaction.
>>
>>18961129
It doesn't matter which god you worship. They are all parts/manifestations of the being that created everything from nothing. Everything is connected via this being so by following Hinduism, you are also following Christianity, paganism, etc.
>>
>>18970896
Goddamn, what a pedestrian misunderstanding and misappropriation of hinduism. Even most Hindus are monotheistic toward a god, most commonly Vishnu. The term Hinduism is a foreign categorization of Indian theistic religions. It has nothing to do with what you're talking about, and it has very specific gods and practices. You're espousing universal unitarianism, or possibly Baha'i, but it has absolutely nothing to do with Hinduism.
>>
>>18961129
Which truth?
>>
>>18963330
Buddhism's greatest achievement is actually to develop unending compassion for all sentient beings. Also, Mahayana Buddhists can willingly delay their Nirvana in order to reincarnate over and over again until every sentient being has reached Nirvana.
>>
>>18970507
Nirvana isn't the annihilation of consciousness. It's quite the opposite actually, it's consciousness in it's most basic form.
>>
It's a shame how monotheists fell into into the "Earth is 6000 years old" meme. The bible merely explains the moral history of humans when we stopped being hunters/gatherers and started living close together in cities and all of the "creative" things ( good and evil) we started doing. This started roughly around 4000 BC with Mesopotamia and ancient Egypt (hence muh 6000 years old meme) It uses allegory and esoteric symbolism to try to get the point across.

The Bible, along with any religious text, has no scientifc affiliation and there's no reason why the two schools of thought should be at odds.
>>
I practice my own brand of greek voodoo
>>
>>18972028
Terminological hangups. It's the undoing of self-emphasis and intention.
>>
File: 1452638711073.jpg (118KB, 736x960px) Image search: [Google]
1452638711073.jpg
118KB, 736x960px
>>
>>18972028
What exactly does that mean? Does it mean you get turned into generic soul stuff with no individual consciousness or identity? Because that's effectively the same thing as annihilation.
>>
>>18973749

The becoming of the moment itself.
>>
>>18974221

Yes, you become nothing and all, simultaneously.
>>
One way to get the truth is to listen to your "inner voices"

There is something within you that translates primal language into words if you listen. Because Everything is speaking, despite its appearent silence.

But watch out: It not only translates the intuitions, but also your subconscious fears/beliefs or astral impersonators. Basically, if you feel fear/ego/somethingisntright-ness, don't take it for truth. Using it to communicate with your subconscious or spirits is also fun though.

Look in the depths of your heart. not the blood-pumping one, but the so-called "thymal gland" in the middle of your chest.

There also is something in the middle of your forehead, the so-called "pineal gland". (Some also call it "third eye", but that's just occult symbolism, because it does far more then just see things.) I haven't looked there very often so I don't know much about what's there.

It also is important to not expect anything and shed limiting beliefs/ego while listening.
>>
>>18974232
So for all intents and purposes, it *is* the annihilation of consciousness in every way that matters to us.
Thread posts: 154
Thread images: 28

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.