[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>merchant marine >basically I help transport cargo all

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 7

>merchant marine
>basically I help transport cargo all across the world
>with a shipment off the coast of Mexico
>weather has been good so far
>it's my turn to do night shift
>basically you just sit above deck and watch for pirates and whales and whatever else you don't want to run into
>its about three in the morning
>i'm basically dead on my feet
>cant leave to go get coffee
>everyone else is asleep
>fuck.exe
>decide to take a walk to try and wake up

>on the upper deck
>stars are bright
>stop to look up at them
>stars are really bright
>REALLY bright
>I blink a couple of times and rub my eyes
>look back up
>stars are so bright I can't even look at them
>every fucking star in the sky is as bright as the fucking sun
>everything is being lit up
>I can see like it's daytime
>then I can't see anything
>even with my eyes closed it's almost unbearable
>put my hands up to my face
>I can see the bones of my hand through my eyelids
>start to scream
>suddenly everything is back to normal
>it's night again
>stars are normal
>mind is absolutely fucked, I have no idea what to do
>stagger down to the med bay and just tell them something's wrong with my eyes
>I've got the equivalent of severe snow blindness
>tell them I must have fallen asleep with my eyes closed (???)
>they don't question it
>laid up for the rest of the job, have to take a few weeks off
>still have no idea what the fuck happened

cont.
>>
File: CBc_QtoUcAAht-H.png (425KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
CBc_QtoUcAAht-H.png
425KB, 600x450px
>>18953844
>basically you just sit above deck and watch for pirates and whales

Yeah right. What. then you yell, "WHALE!" when you see one? Wait, "Thar she blows!!" Why would a modern merchant vessel need to have people looking for whales at night?
>>
File: 1493504081217.jpg (29KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
1493504081217.jpg
29KB, 500x500px
>>18953844

Kys
>>
>>18953852
larger whales can bite a whole into ships or even drag the ship underwater and keep it in a cave for eating later
>>
>>18953844
one of the shittiest greentext LARPs ive ever read
>>
>>
Go on, OP.

>>18954508
lol. Super.
>>
File: 1478546457732.jpg (64KB, 858x536px) Image search: [Google]
1478546457732.jpg
64KB, 858x536px
>>18954391
>bite a whole

The Outlaw Jonah Whales
>>
>>18953844
OP if youre not larping tell me how you got this job and why.
>>
>>18953844
I swear this once happened to me. Did I text these words?
>>
>>18953844

part 2

>I was stunned by what happened in the weak two follows
>It was hard to swallow
>Butt as a Seaman
>I was detirmened to go back out to see
>I signed up with a vessel called the SS Ess
>A ship out of the port of Denver
>A rusty bucket she be, but it floated and I needed a job
>Two weeks later we were off the Coast of North Antartica
when
>I saw it, I wood never forget it either
>A goats ship, all dark and autonomus
>black Seamen poured out of and swam towards us
>"All Swabs on Dreck!" came the call
>Oars were broke out, backs bend
>we barely got away half alive
>it was awful
>tHANK Neptune, at least it wasn't an encounter with a whale
>>
>>18954529
I once got a job like that by asking to a military commander if I could get a job out of the United States of America but which there was a history of judging, conflict resolution, by assumption of a realistic version of Catholic religious beliefs.

What did I do to be involved of such a military commander? I have a history that I can share...but its a lot of killing, being jailed, and words. If you're trying to force you live eternal life by the technologies which humans accessed thousands of years ago, and by which the bible happened...then you might do the zealous things which you could just get hooked up with a job like that. I don't remember how I quit, or if I even quit. What I'm guessing is I was, "doing" illegal action and I referenced people who just got me out of the situation...but that I didn't get to keep my job.
>>
>>18954559
Holy shit please fucking leave all I feel is genuine hatred when I see you're retarded name
>>
>>18954583
Your and let him be.
>>
>>18954559
Fuck off you retarded ass spic I'll go look up the requirements myself.
>>
>>18954583
I don't understand why you are mad.

>>18954590
Thanks Anon.

>>18954629
I just googled, "spic" and I don't think its true. I've been living thousands of years. The requirements for me was do what I was told, and enjoy.
>>
>>18953844
t. landsman
>>
>>18953844

Nice LARPing, faggot.

I work in the industry, have been around it my whole life. And your story is bullshit.

First, you do a Watch. And you wouldn't be on the Upper Deck, you'd be on the Bridge, better known as the Navigation Deck. That's if you're an Officer. If you were a rating, you'd be walking the deck, making sure there were no problems with the cargo you are carrying.

Second, if you actually did scream like you'd claimed, there's a pretty good chance you'd wake the Captain up, since his bedroom/office is right below the Navigation Deck. And at night, at sea, its quiet as fuck. So that makes the chance of waking the Captain/Chief Mate/Chief Engineer up even higher, since their cabins are the deck below the wheelhouse.

Thirdly, if you did have "severe snow blindness" like you claimed, there is no fucking way you'd be able to make it from the Navigation Deck, down to the Sick Bay at least 2-3 decks below, since you wouldn't even see properly. And even if you DID manage to get down there, the 2nd Officer is usually the Officer that takes care of Medical shit, and like you said, everyone was asleep at the time. Apart from the couple of guys on watch.

There are a shitload of other inconsistencies in your story that make it complete and utter bullshit, so take you fuckwittery elsewhere.
>>
And then your dog Goku started acting like something was very wrong right?
>>
>>18956303
>implying every ship is the exact same configuration etc
>>
>>18953852
You get fined if you hit them in protected areas.
>>
>>18954559
Just leave already you schitzo autist piece of shit.
>>
>>18954559
Cancer
>>
>>18956442

When it comes to superstructure configuration, 99% of merchant vessels are the same. It makes it easier when crew switch from different vessels (i.e. Tanker to Bulk Carrier, Bulk Carrier to Container etc) to navigate around the superstructure.

And even the hull and outer deck have a lot of commonality too. But hey, I've only been walking around on ships for the past 30 years, and my old man had worked around em even longer, but what would I know?
>>
>>18954391
>drag it into a cave to eat it later
>a fucking ship made of metal
what
>>
>>18957959
they don't eat the ship, they're after the seamen
>>
>>18957285
>>18957829
Haters gonna hate.

>>18956303
Bosses get to be bosses. Those who rule all enjoy a wild.
>>
>>18957940
I've always had an interest in sailing, but I'm a helicopter pilot, do you lot need guys like me?
>>
>>18958100
because theyre sperm whales
>>
>>18958621

Yeah, crew are in demand at the moment, especially senior Officers.

Over the last decade or so, there are less and less people going into the Merchant Marine trade, and with companies like Maersk Line building more ships, it's put more of a demand on more crew.

Depending where you are from, the money can be pretty good too. Even senior Officers from countries like India and the Phillipines are on 10-14,000 a month, as a Captain or Chief Engineer.

Having said that, the industry has one of the highest divorce rates going around, since you can spend up to half the year away from family, and that's with the better contracts.

Basically, it's worth it money wise, but does put plenty of strain on family life, even if you have an understanding husband/wife.
>>
>>18954542
>>port of DENVER
kek
>>
>>18958946
How do you start with this career?
>>
>>18958971

Knowing people in the industry certainly helps, but obviously all the big companies have websites, which usually has ways of getting in touch with them in regards to careers.

https://www2.maerskline.com
https://www.chevron.com

These are 2 of the biggest companies worldwide Shipping wise, so go check em out.

Chevron would probably be the better option, because working on the tankers gets a bit more pay, since you're working with Hazardous Cargo, plus if you have training for tankers, it's then easier to go from tankers to containers and bulk carriers, than it is the other way around.
>>
>>18959225
So they hire you with zero experience and train you? Thought you had to go to like a merchant marise college first?
>>
>>18959252
*marine
>>
>>18954559
OH SHIT WADDUP
>>
>>18959252

Usually going to Maritime College is part of the process. It's definitely something that has to be done, but yeah, they'll organise for you to go and get the training done, and then you'll do additional training whilst on board.

Usually with the training at the Maritime College, you can either pay yourself, get sponsored by the company, and once you're on board working, they'll dock your pay X amount per week/month until it's paid off. Sometimes the company will cover all costs too, but that usually involves promising you'll stay with the company X amount of years, and you show enough promise to get promoted through the ranks.

Most of the company sites go through this, or they will talk you through it when you get in touch with them.
>>
>>18959252
>>18959268

Also, if you do pay yourself to go through Maritime College, quite a few countries, like here in Australia, allow you to claim it back on tax, since it's necessary that you do the training in order for you to do your job.
>>
question for bros working in shipping

i've seen those videos where like a 30 foot wave completely covers an entire ship, or a ship tilts like 45 degrees back and forth on the waves

how do you not just die of fear, i would literally fucking die

i could run up against a demon or ghost or alien or something and be fine but FUCK THE OCEAN
>>
>>18954247
autism
>>
>>18959268
Thanks. What's the name of their entry positions?
>>
>>18959278

It can and does get spoopy as fuck at times. Honestly though, most of the time, the Captain will make a call to divert around storms and rough seas if possible. Sure, it adds time to the voyage, but the risk reduction is more important than losing a vessel.

Having said that, if there is no way to divert course around rough seas and weather, they just have to ride it out.

Craziest I've heard it was a Captain who was mates with my old man. The ship was sailing past the Great Australian Bight, and they hit 20-25 metre swells coming straight up from Antarctica, and 100km/h winds.

Ship ended up, at one point, doing -4kts speed. That's right, they were losing 8km every hour because of the swell and wind.

Once they got through it, they had to go to the closest port, and have the vessel checked and cleared for any possible damage, plus have all the stuff in the galley replaced that had been smashed, plus replace all the other stuff replaced and fixed that had been damaged and broken.
>>
>>18959298

If you train as a new Officer, you'll be referred to as a Deck Cadet, or Cadet Engineer. Once you done enough training, have the necessary sea time, and pass your exams, you'll be either a 3rd Officer if you're a Deck Cadet, or a 3rd/4th Engineer if you obviously are in Engineering.

And if you go non Officer, you'll be a trainee rating, until like above, you pass everything, then you'll be either known as an Ordinary Seaman, aka OS, or some countries refer to them as an Integrated Rating aka IR.

Here in Australia, we have IRs as non Officer Ranks, and they are trained in both Deck and Engineering.
>>
>>18959307
Heard some of the shittier companies pressure captains to go through the storms and if they don't they fire them
>>
>>18959337

Yeah, some of the definitely shittier companies do try and pull shit like that.

They usually do it to the Indian and Flip Captains, because they know that they need the jobs, but having said that, some Captains will turn it back on the Company and tell them to get fucked, and will threaten to report the companies to the International Shipping Authorities, and Insurance Companies.

Have heard of some shitty practices, but that's why the major companies are the best to go with.

Most retarded thing I've personally dealt with - had to go on one ship to pick up the Chief Officer because he had finished his contract.

Walked on board, and had noticed they were taking on fuel. Got to the top of the gangway, and noticed one of the crew crouching right next to the fuel line, and the dumb cunt was smoking a cigarette.

Shook my head, said "you're fucken kidding me?" as I walked past, and got the hell out of Dodge as quick as I could.
>>
>>18954559
Jesus Christ, just fuck off this board, you schizo faggot.
>>
>>18954583
Thank you trip fags are the worst
>>
>>18958110
Fucking autist.
>>
>>18959307
I was on a ship that did that out of Yokohama once. We went backwards for three days with the rack pegged. Amazing part is that we lost no cargo. I shut the reefers off for the worst part of the storm and the mate had double lashings two high.
I am glad I work as a building engineer now.
>>
>>18959778

Hahaha yeah, crazy as hey.
>>
>>18959400
>>18959432
>>18959591
The professional rhetoric is: I'm early.
>>
>>18956303
aaand thats that.

/thread
>>
>>18959278
>how do you not just die of fear, i would literally fucking die
>i could run up against a demon or ghost or alien or something and be fine but FUCK THE OCEAN

Oh, the ocean waves do roll,
And the stormy winds do blow.
We old sailors are skipping at the top,
While the landlubbers lie down below, below, below,
Oh, the landlubbers lie down below.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a5g61BYew0U
>>
>>18963706
are you me?
>>
>>18962193
Yeah, that's kind of why I abandoned the fucking thread. I forgot this isn't a board where people suspend disbelief. Y'all idiots are the ones keeping it alive.
>>
>>18953844
Do Merchant Marine vessels carry any sort of weaponry? Just out of curiosity, as from what I've understood from a couple sailor friends, most if not all european merchant vessels are prohibited to have anything on board.
>>
>>18953844
Say hello to Saint Louis Express for me. She's heading to Belgium carrying an interesting cargo. You all will find out what's inside that one particular container. If and only if everything goes according to the plan, that is. Poor Europe.
>>
File: 1487055794530.png (105KB, 594x413px) Image search: [Google]
1487055794530.png
105KB, 594x413px
>>18954542
>all swabs on drack

Fuck
>>
Can you fucking idiots just let this thread die?
>>
>>18964755
No
>>
File: Trina-riffin-grojband.png (113KB, 990x1664px) Image search: [Google]
Trina-riffin-grojband.png
113KB, 990x1664px
>>18964755

I fap to cartoon girls
>>
>>18956303
I always have a rating on the bridge during dark hours
>>
>>18964923
same
>>
>>18964633
most ships have hoses, you just blast seawater at the pirates til they fuck off
>>
>>18964633

It's rare. Usually if a vessel is going to an area where piracy is high, like the Gulf of Aden, they'll pick up Private Security Contractors that are armed up. And usually they're SAS, Ghurkas, or other Special Forces that have gone into Contracting for the bigger money.

Was talking with a Chief Mate about it on Monday night, last run they had a couple of Ghurkas and an ex-SAS. All carried M4s, and they also brought a .50 cal Sniper Rifle with em too, so they could hit the pirates at range, before they got close enough to cause problems.

Chief said he loved watching them have shooting comps during down time, just because the .50 hitting barrels that they dropped in the ocean looked awesome, in the Chiefs words.
>>
>>18965652

Yeah, 'tis always a good idea. Last thing you want is the Dead Mans Alarm going off and waking the Skipper, unless you love copping an absolute rocket from him.
>>
>>18964634

She's in Antwerp right now. Should be inBrenerhaven toorow.
>>
>>18953844
you had a seizure and you're embellishing the whole merchant marine story, hopefully you're ok now
>>
>>18966008
Private Security vs. The Pirates

https://www.liveleak.com/view?i=387_1492776042
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.