[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How is oblivion undesirable? I don't understand the human

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: 1492060274275.png (140KB, 600x636px) Image search: [Google]
1492060274275.png
140KB, 600x636px
How is oblivion undesirable? I don't understand the human preoccupation with immortality. In fact I am terrified of immortality. Meanwhile it seems like the most significant offense to people is the idea that their consciousness should eventually cease to exist in an distinguishable form. Meanwhile from a young age I always thought the turmoil that would be removed by the absence of existence would be invaluable. Am I just woke or what?
>>
>>18947065

You have different values.
>>
No, You just have simplistic assumptions that immortality is exactly how life is now, except you just live forever. For example some people fear having to live to the end of the universe or outliving their loved ones, or becoming eternally bored.

But when you research the Theist/Spiritualist view of immortality you see that they believe that every aspect of your being will be perfected and you will live in and inhabit a realm of pure good, joy, bliss and ecstasy that just gets exponentially better and better and better.
>>
I don't know, but I feel the same way. When I was 7 I was terrified of the thought of eternal life, even though I didn't believe in it, the inability to stop existing is terrifying. I guess people are just spooked. I mean, animals stop existing, why shouldn't humans? It's just natural.
>>
>>18947075
That doesn't seem to be true because people would even rather condemn themselves to a state of eternal torment than simply not exist. This is reflected by many religions.
>>
>>18947065
Those with a genetic makeup that allows for a mentality that doesn't abhor oblivion usually die off without procreating. Over time, this "naturally selects" the population that abhors ending their existence to dominate the species.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.