[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Will intergalactic space travel ever be possible? They say the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 12

File: enhanced-buzz-1388-1356023717-3.jpg (187KB, 625x469px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-buzz-1388-1356023717-3.jpg
187KB, 625x469px
Will intergalactic space travel ever be possible?

They say the distances are simply to gigantic to be bridged and the galaxies move away faster than the speed of light so physics says it will NEVER be possible to travel to another galaxy.

Kind of sad don't you think? Even if aliens exist, we will never meet them. Only the ones in our galaxy. You think with enough time our technology we can find a way around this?
>>
>>18922873
mfw
>>
>>18922873
Just 1 example:
>if we had the technology to travel light years in a space shuttle
I don't think it'd be rational since
>our bodies would have to adjust to the immense pull it'd generate
>what if in the course you strike some asteroids and wreck your shit to shreds
>>
>>18922873
Any space faring civilization or tech advanced species, is looking for something. If you're looking for something out there, you're not looking for friends. If you're not a friend, you're a competition and an enemy. But that doesn't mean there are no friend seeking species out there.
>>
>>18922890
B-but the universe is so huge!

Why be rivals if he can simply share everything?
>>
>>18922900
You understand sharing, but how would you know if your other friend understands the concept of sharing?
>>
>>18922873
(23:2.22) 6. Ambassadors and Emissaries of Special Assignment. Local universes situated within the same superuniverse customarily exchange ambassadors selected from their native orders of sonship. But to avoid delay, Solitary Messengers are frequently asked to go as ambassadors from one local creation to another, to represent and interpret one realm to another. For example: When a newly inhabited realm is discovered, it may prove to be so remote in space that a long time will pass before an enseraphimed ambassador can reach this far-distant universe. An enseraphimed being cannot possibly exceed the velocity of 558,840 Urantia miles in one second of your time. Massive stars, crosscurrents, and detours, as well as attraction tangents, will all tend to retard such speed so that on a long journey the velocity will average about 550,000 miles per second.
>>
>>18922932
book of urantia?
>>
What if we're the first intelligent species in the universe, someone has to be right.
>>
space don't real, it was a beautiful dream tho
>>
>>18922873
The Alcubierre drive (purely theoretical, many problems with it that would need to be solved first) could hypothetically result in FTL travel, but also violates causality.

Regardless, even without FTL, interstellar travel isn't necessarily impossible, provided you can accelerate to relativistic speeds, or have some form of cryogenics, or something similar.
>>
>>18922979

underage retard
>>
>>18922873
Are you aware people once believed air travel, steamships, heart and brain surgery were completely impossible?
>>
>>18924040
Do you honestly compare air travel to travel through a black void billions or trillions of kilometers long through the most hostile environment for life imaginable where you can't allow yourself to just crash and live of fish or simply go back?
>>
>>18922873
>
They say the distances are simply to gigantic to be bridged and the galaxies move away faster than the speed of light so physics says it will NEVER be possible to travel to another galaxy.
None of that is true. I did my dissertation on extragalactic motion. It would take me so long to explain it and youd understand so little of it I wont bother. But basically if galaxies are moving away faster than the speed of light (relatively) then light would never reach us and we'd never see them, so dont worry about them getting away.

>our bodies would have to adjust to the immense pull it'd generate
You mean the force you experance during acceleration? You can accelerate slowly and not pull any Gs, acceleration is only the rate of change of speed, it has nothing to do with the actual speed.

Statistically impossible. You dont understand how big space is, and interplanetary space, setting aside intergalactic space, is so much bigger than you think it is.

I know its /x/ and all, but theres really no excuse for being this bad at science.
>>
>>18922873
There is always wormhole drives, but you would need huge energy generators. But if you could convert Jupiter's mass into usable, controlled energy, you could go anywhere you wanted instantly.
>>
tl;dr Einstein is a plagiarist who only got the jew-ran Nobel prize because he's a jew, and relativity is falling apart
>>
>>18923056
>interstellar travel isn't necessarily impossible
I think there's no doubt that interstellar travel will be possible within the next century or so. Intergalactic travel, however, is likey impossible unless we have some major breakthroughs in quantum physics or some similar science. A breakthrough which would undoubtedly usher in a new age of man
>>
Even Star Trek takes place entirely within the Milky Way galaxy. The Borg are just from the most remote quarter of it. It's pretty optimistic to have no doubt that there will be interstellar travel within a century. I wish I could be so optimistic despite my hatred for environmentalism but that's another thread.

Intergalactic distances are mindbending and I do agree we would probably need to get beyond thinking about things like "speed" and "distance". We would be needing to get into the transhuman sphere at that point, I think.

Once humanity migrates to energy things will change and it might happen sooner than you think. So many people on 4chan can't wait to have AI/VR waifus. That's a huge step. Once people fall in love with artificial intelligences and have children with them that'll be the true beginning of the end for meat.

You think intergalactic distances are wild? Think about pure mathematics. Do you have any idea how big a number a googolplex is?
>>
>>18922873
It'll be possible someday. It's only a matter of time before our solar system collides with another.
>>
>>18925275
Gonna be a fag now, the Borg are actually a galaxy spanning collective that make use of mass wormhole relay stations located near the center of each galaxy. They then spread from the wormhold relay system until they overtake the entire galaxy.

So to move between galaxies, wormholes, to move in the galaxy, star trek warp.
>>
>>18925294
Yes, a matter of approximately 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 years
>>
>>18925320
That's interesting. Do they show their interaction with other galaxies and the life forms there? I would have assumed Star Trek would break away from their "mostly-humanoid" canon for other galaxies. I always thought fluidic space was interesting.
>>
>>18925328
they don't really do much with it other than "terrifying reveal, you know how borg are bad and there are a lot of them? well bad news because there are really a SUPER FUCKTON LOT OF THEM!", I think the one for our galaxy got blown up a few episodes later and the borg can't build another quickly so it slows them down in our galaxy.
>>
File: katie.webm (1MB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
katie.webm
1MB, 720x576px
>>
>>18925320
I'm interested in where you get this from. The wiki makes no mention of any of this, and this stack exchange I found specifically denies the Borg are intergalactic.

https://scifi.stackexchange.com/questions/53422/have-the-borg-ever-travelled-beyond-the-milky-way-galaxy
>>
>>18922873
Gonna go the spiritual route here. When I astral travel in dreams, sometimes I am able to enter into a starfield of energy. Then I move somewhere else and drop out of hyperspace, the environment stars to look 3d again and its like I have moved to a different energy in creation and can see differences in the dream world. Basically the world in the astral is built out of astrological energies of our galaxy. I saw a bunch of insects last night, like centipedes and a mantid being. I heard from my guide when I woke up that I had moved to some constellation they called paleous.

Once, I traveled to the edge of our galaxy and I saw what looked like dark matter bridges going to other galaxies. Also higher dimensional intelligences were able to unwrap parts of our galaxy like pulling a thread out and make modifications to it. It seems that the galactic structure is related in some quantum ways to the chemistry and molecular biology of the life that lives here.

A few times, I have been able to project myself into the mental plane. When I did this I can sort of turn the spiral of energy in my crown chakra and synchronize it with different space time configurations. I did this with et help from the arcturians a few times, and they have modified my astral body so I can sometimes do it myself. So I was able to turn the spiral in my head and align to a different central galactic black hole I ended up teleporting information from Andromeda and it was like I was in deep space inside of another galaxy.

One other time, O tuned my crown chakra with some really weird vibrations I was picking up in the astral, like a high pitched sound. I modulated it until it was too strange to comprehend. Then a strange et being showed up and told me that I was accessing energies from further into the galactic supercluster. Basically, people on dmt who are able to exit our local universe may be doing the same thing, but it is also possible to do so through astral travel
>>
File: 1399659714981.png (702KB, 740x701px) Image search: [Google]
1399659714981.png
702KB, 740x701px
>>18922873
>galaxies move away faster than the speed of light.

How did no one else catch this gem of retardation?
>>
>>18924327
What a negative mindset. Is it really that hard for you to believe that space travel is likely?
>>
earth is the only place with life in the universe.

intergalactic travel is impossible, and always will be.
>>
>>18922882
when you move faster than light it is believed you are a wave rather than actual matter. I forget the specifics but it's something like that
>>
>>18922873
Star Trek was barely inter-galactic.
>>
>>18922873
>galaxies move away faster than the speed of light
Only very distant ones. And the galaxies aren't exactly moving away, the space they're in is expanding away.
>>
>>18925864
The galaxies aren't moving faster than light. The most distant ones are so far away that the light they produce simply hasn't reached us yet and are therefore invisible.

Space can move faster than light though. Since light is in the universe and cannot exist outside it then the universe is expanding faster than light. However space does not expand evenly. It moves faster at the terminus and slower everywhere else.
>>
>>18925595
Carbon rings form in a vacuum. Life elsewhere isn't just possible, it's likely. Us making contact with it however is another issue.
>>
>>18925530
Some of them do. Dark Energy fuels spatial expansion, and the further out you go, the greater the rate of that expansion. The relativistic speed limit does not apply to the space between things, which is free to grow as quickly as Dark Energy can fuel it and there doesn't appear to be any upper bound.
>>
>>18922873
isnt our galaxy crashing with another doe?
>>
>>18925530
It is only true for some of them, but you are the retarded one here, anon
>>
>>18926665
we will become one with andromeda.
>>
File: rageboy.jpg (48KB, 470x278px) Image search: [Google]
rageboy.jpg
48KB, 470x278px
you know why we will never see something like this in our lifetime?

because if somebody actually invented the necessary tech they would NEED to keep it secret

because otherwise some allahu akbar would manage to fly a spaceship into the earth at full speed, which at near lightspeed or even FTL would result in utter destruction of the planet
>>
>>18925595
>earth is the only place with life in the universe.
At the very least, Earth life can be found on Luna and Mars these days.
>>
File: Outside da creamy path.png (72KB, 641x328px) Image search: [Google]
Outside da creamy path.png
72KB, 641x328px
If we can move 50,000x or more faster than light.

It takes two million years and some change for information to reach us from Andromeda. Andromeda is the older galaxy, maybe the Andromedans will reach us first? Given our proximity to the edge of the Milky Way we might even be one of the first stops.
>>
>>18922873
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4yYHdDSWs&spfreload=10
>>
>>18926828

4:56

>moving away from us at speeds we can't ever hope to match

When your whole (very well-made) video collapses over an assumption you make.
>>
>>18922873
Yeah, but you'll have to leave your body behind. It's not suited to go off earth anyway.
If you're strictly talking about space-ships, then probably no.
>>
>>18926607
Space is expanding evenly. The farther apart two things are, the faster they're moving away from each other. Beyond a certain distance, galaxies are moving away faster than light. It's not just that the light hasn't had time to reach us; it can never reach us.

Imagine a meter stick made of stretchy rubber. Over the course of 1 second, stretch it so it's 2 meters long. Any two points that were 1 cm apart are now 2 cm apart, so they moved apart at 1 cm/s. Points that were 10 cm apart moved apart at 10 cm/s. Etc. Now imagine the meter stick goes on forever, like the universe. If two points are far enough apart, they'll be moving apart faster than the speed of light.

The sphere inside which things are moving away at LESS than the speed of light is called the Observable Universe. Light from outside this sphere will never reach us, even after infinite time.
>>
>>18924357
>no excuse for being this bad at science.

Says the guy who doesn't know the difference between impossible and improbable.
>>
It already is possible.
>>
>>18927776
Well put. The scary part is that the Observable Universe is shrinking.

https://briankoberlein.com/2016/04/29/incredible-shrinking-universe/
>Since the observable universe is about 42 billion light years in radius, and the Hubble radius is about 15 billion light years, that means about 97% of the observable universe is beyond our reach. Furthermore, since space continues to expand, galaxies that are currently within reach will eventually move beyond the Hubble radius. Our galaxy is part of a cluster of galaxies known as the local group. It is about 10 million light years across and contains about 50 galaxies. Together they are close enough that their gravity will cause them to collapse toward each other despite cosmic expansion. But more distant clusters are so far away that cosmic expansion will win in the end. In perhaps a hundred billion years our local group will have collapsed into a single large galaxy, and the rest of the Universe will have moved forever out of reach.
>>
>>18922873
>galaxies move away faster than the speed of light
Does this mean that our own galaxy is also moving faster than the speed of light?
>>
File: Havel_the_Rock.png (207KB, 300x573px) Image search: [Google]
Havel_the_Rock.png
207KB, 300x573px
We're all gonna be turned to glass in about three weeks so no
>>
File: expansion.jpg (14KB, 537x290px) Image search: [Google]
expansion.jpg
14KB, 537x290px
>>18928339
From another frame of reference, yes.

Nothing in the galaxy has been found to move faster than the speed of light. Our galaxy, any other galaxy - this seems to be an absolute limit on how fast through space you can move. SPACE, on the other hand, is expanding. And the more space there is between two objects, the more the expansion of space will "add" to their movement. Look at pic related: none of the dots move at all, yet clearly the distance between the dots has increased. What happened? The space they occupy - the coordinate grid - has expanded. And the dots that have zero speed have moved further apart.

This expansion of space can make the rate of increase in the distance between two objects be faster than the speed of light, even though neither object can actually move that fast.
>>
>>18927776
>>18928394

>theoretic silliness
>>
File: great.jpg (116KB, 1000x728px) Image search: [Google]
great.jpg
116KB, 1000x728px
>so physics says it will NEVER be possible

Maybe not with conventional travel, that's why our biggest task is now figure out how to stabilize a wormhole.

So no, it's not sad since space time manipulation has already been proven. If the universe itself is capable of bending time, so can we (with a couple x thousand/million/billion years of technological advancements).
>>
>>18928410
It will start making a lot more sense once you stop letting your soul be weighed down by gravity.
>>
>>18924357
You're arrogant and your inability/refusal to explain addition and subtraction of velocities approaching c in special relativity to a layman implies you're not as smart as you think you are.
>>
>>18928460
>>18924357
Is it seriously that important to you to boost your ego online that you spend time shitting on people who are clearly interested in your chosen field of study instead of carefully educating them? I mean just not responding would have been a better response than the one you gave.
>>
>>18928444

I don't have a soul.
>>
>>18928394
Before we go further, I'd like to point out that the expansion of space is really quite miniscule. From the website I linked:
>We measure cosmic expansion in terms of the Hubble parameter, which is about 20 km/s per million light years. This means that two points in space a million light years apart are moving away from each other at 20 kilometers each second.

Let's get that number down to comprehensible units of distance. If we apply that rate to just one light year, then every second the space therein expands a whopping 20mm.

Now 1 light year equals about 63,241 astronomical units, which is the distance from the Earth to the Sun. So that means every second, the space between our Earth and our Sun expands .0003 mm.

Cosmic expansion is tiny, but cumulative; it will only ever be influential for extreme distances.

>>18928410
There have been a lot of very smart people who were adamantly against the idea - Einstein included - who tried and failed to explain away these observations and conclusions. But perhaps you have the answer. You should write to your local observatory or university.
>>
>>18928486

>who tried and failed to explain away these observations and conclusions

They're based on a concept that can't be debunked because galactic motion is an unmeasureable idea.

Motion is measured by comparison. We have nothing to compare the fabric of space to.
>>
>>18928529
Are you even aware of the observations used in support of cosmological expansion?
>>
>>18928529
space cf. time
>lrn to lrn mutlirecidivent-temporal physics at UC Berkeley.
>>
>>18928634
If there is no way to detect that they are alive, then for all intents and purposes they aren't. It's like asking what if quarks are actually sentient, living things but we have no way to find out. What can we do with this thought?
>>
>movement
interstellar travel will never be achieved so long as physics keeps thinking movement can exist.
its all about potential, and difference there of.
>>
>>18925275
What do you mean when you say you hate environmentalism?
>>
>>18926718
Is this true?
>>
>>18928472
He's fucking right though. There was no need for that last sentence.
>>
>>18929026
In 1976 I was invited to stay overnight at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory in Pasadena, waiting for news to come back from the Viking 1 lander, which was going to touch down on Mars and take photographs.

It was incredibly exciting to be there, surrounded by engineers, waiting for the first pictures. There was a tall gentleman standing next to me, who I thought looked familiar. At last I realized it was none other than Wernher von Braun, the man who had fled Germany for America to become the co-inventor of the rocket that took us to the moon and that was now taking us to the planets.

Early in the morning the photographs began to arrive. I could hardly believe I was seeing the surface of Mars! At 9:00 a.m., ABC television put me on the air to get my reaction.

The interviewer said, "Mr. Bradbury, how do you feel about this landing? Where are the Martian cities and where are all the living beings?"

"Don't be a fool," I said. "WE are the Martians! We're going to be here for the next million years. At long last, WE ARE MARTIANS!"

That was the end of the interview.

- Ray Bradbury
>>
>>18928539

Yes, as part and parcel of spacetime, not as space as an independent entity. Points in space are used to determine the motion.

>>18928616

>muh theory proves itself theoretically
>>
>>18929061
>Yes
Everything you've said shows otherwise. How about you try and list the evidence in your own words. No critiquing or counterpoints right now. I just want to see that you understand what you're talking about.
>>
>>18922873
(23:3.3) Solitary Messengers are, therefore, generally used for dispatch and service in those situations where personality is essential to the achievement of the assignment, and where it is desired to avoid the loss of time which would be occasioned by the sending of any other readily available type of personal messenger. They are the only definitely personalized beings who can synchronize with the combined universal currents of the grand universe. Their velocity in traversing space is variable, depending on a great variety of interfering influences, but the record shows that on the journey to fulfill this mission my associate messenger proceeded at the rate of 841,621,642,000 of your miles per second of your time.

(39:3.9) These transit personalities are so organized that they can simultaneously utilize all three of the universally distributed lines of energy, each having a clear space velocity of 186,280 miles per second. These transporters are thus able to superimpose velocity of energy upon velocity of power until they attain an average speed on their long journeys varying anywhere from 555,000 to almost 559,000 of your miles per second of your time. The velocity is affected by the mass and proximity of neighboring matter and by the strength and direction of the near-by main circuits of universe power. There are numerous types of beings, similar to the seraphim, who are able to traverse space, and who also are able to transport other beings who have been properly prepared.
>>
>>18922873
>They say the distances are simply to gigantic to be bridged and the galaxies move away faster than the speed of light so physics says it will NEVER be possible to travel to another galaxy.

You humans... when will you learn that size doesn't matter.
>>
>>18924327
It's comparable. A matter of scale, really.
>>
File: Firefly-Wallpaper-1.jpg (415KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
Firefly-Wallpaper-1.jpg
415KB, 1280x1024px
>>
>>18929018
Science is the new religion, Anon. Are you unaware? People blindly follow its top prophets (Nye, Tyson) with little to no understanding of the method. Environmentalism is one of the vanguard oppressive dogmas of this religion, standing firmly in the way of human progress. It merely prolongs the inevitable. The fact of the matter is that humanity is outgrowing this planet and if we don't expand off of it in the next few centuries then the population will have to be actively reduced either through war or through breeding controls. Shutting down coal power plants or forcing us to drive 90hp cars isn't going to change shit.
>>
>>18931559
Yeah and if a semi truck crosses the median in front of you, don't bother turning the wheel. you're going to crash anyway

the enviropicalypse may be inevitable, but with prevention measures the crash we do get will be much less severe than the one where we do nothing

or at the very least the shit won't hit the fan during our lifetimes so we don't have to deal with it
>>
>>18931588
Models consistently forecast collapse after 2050, with a peak around 2075, largely based around climate change impacts within a fossilized geopolitical framework, with features akin to the Limit To Growth comprehensive technology scenario. The conclusion is that in order to extend current civilization lifetime to around 2120, that geopolitical framework must be changed, either "silently" (selective elimination of current political actors) or abruptly (total devastation of large industrial complexes in Western countries and the Gulf).
>>
>>18922873
>Kind of sad don't you think?
No. Nothing of value is lost. Scientific progress has gone far enough.
>>
>>18931588
The sooner you stop thinking about humanity as "us" the better off you'll be. North America, Europe and especially Russia will be just fine - assuming they stop the flow of migrants ASAP. Probably some nuclear war will occur unfortunately since we were dumb enough to let brown countries get nuclear weapons in the first place. Probably some treaties will be reached that lets them migrate to Antarctica as it becomes more habitable.
>>
>>18922979
>how are we the only intelligent species on this fucking earth
>huehue we were evolved from monkeys because bananas ran out and we had to milk sheep lol!!! XDDDDDD oee aa aa
>he doesnt believe human evolution was jumpstarted by aliens
>>
File: 6468764168.png (83KB, 790x773px) Image search: [Google]
6468764168.png
83KB, 790x773px
>>18925275
fuckin this >It's pretty optimistic to have no doubt that there will be interstellar travel within a century.
>implying any politician will invest into space in atleast the next 500 years
the masses will remain dead inside, all humans care about is what will happen in the next episode of their vapid tv shows, whats trending on twitter and hue muh lyf experiences travel round the worldd!!
At this rate, space travel will become fucking impossible, never to happen ever. We will bury ourself into extinction with all this consumerism garbage, it might not happen the next 100 years but humans will keep this meaningless useful lifestyle for atleast another 1000-3000years till the earth has become fed up wtih us
>>
We'll probably destroy ourselves before we figure it out.
>>
>>18922873
Probably not going to happen in our lifetimes, but maybe one day we'll make some new discovery that allows us to bridge the gap in a reasonable amount of time.
>tfw born too late to explore the earth and too early to explore the universe
>>
>>18931588
This is the lie they give so that the "prevention methods" they sell will make them rich. Go look how much Gore has invested and made off his environmentalism push. Go actually read these "prevention methods" and realize it's just a scam to open up a new commodities market.
Thread posts: 84
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.