[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm trying to wrap my head around magick but I just can't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 10

File: wb2706_016_1024x1024.jpg (123KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
wb2706_016_1024x1024.jpg
123KB, 1024x1024px
I'm trying to wrap my head around magick but I just can't do it.

What is the difference between magick and physicality? Can actions in our physical reality affect and be affected by magick? Then what is the difference between magick as a force and electromagnetism? Can we not reason with magick and take a scientific tack? Is it of this world or is it not?

If the world outside the cave does not affect the world inside the cave, then why does it matter if we know it or not? If it does affect the cave, then the distinction is irrelevant
>>
File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (95KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
95KB, 1920x1080px
>>18888675
It's just LARPing, don't worry about it too much. If magick were "real" in the physical reality sense, every mage would be standing on the pinnacle of human performance and potential. Yet they are happy to live in shitholes and share their knowledge with the plebs and dregs of our species.

Which is a shame, because it'd be fun.
>>
>>18888786
>It doesn't work for me and/or I've never tried it
>I don't understand it
>therefore roleplaying
>>
>>18888793
>classic "it's real you're just uneducated or inept at it"
Yeah nah. I'm happy that it "works" for you, though. My views on the results aside, you do you.
>>
>>18888675
The Frog God
>>
>>18888675
Sadly it comes down to LARPing with a few scams thrown in here and there. A lot of people have fun with it, and there's nothing wrong with that, but the only "real" and potentially helpful aspects of magic are things like training yourself to focus, meditate, etc.
>>
>>18888675
>(Illustration: A generation ago it was supposed theoretically impossible that man should ever know the composition of the fixed stars. It is known that our senses are adapted to receive only a fraction of the possible rates of vibration.Modern instruments have enabled us to detect some of these supra-sensibles by indirect methods, and even to use their peculiar qualities in the service of man, as in the case of the rays of Hertz and Roentgen. As Tyndall said, man might at any moment learn to percieve and utilize vibrations of all concievable and inconcievable kinds. The question of Magick is a question of discovering and employing hitherto unknown forces in nature. We know that they exist, and we cannot doubt the possibility of mental or physical instruments capable of bringing us into relation with them.)

~Crowley, Magick in Theory and Practice
>>
>>18888877
Every time Crowley references anything at all related to science I cringe. The dude should have stuck purely to superstition.
>>
>>18888675
>implying owls are birds
>>
>>18888884
Well, you haven't refuted anything he said in that quote yet, just beat the straw man a little.
>>
>>18888897
>The dude should have stuck to superstition
>Why?
>(autistic srceeching)
>>
>>18888922
My point is that if you're selling bullshit to people, you shouldn't try to get it mixed up with science. There's a reason that those indian gurus who claim to be able to levitate and live off the energy of the universe don't start trying to scientifically break down why their "feats" work.
>>
>>18888786
This makes a lot of sense. But isn't it possible, that the same mages you refer to, already exist, but keep their presence secret as to control and feed on the masses as their unknowing slaves?
>>
>>18888932
Possible, but let's get some evidence before we assume.
>>
File: 1410758536937.gif (1022KB, 289x373px) Image search: [Google]
1410758536937.gif
1022KB, 289x373px
Magic so far seems to be very alike to quantum mechanics, so if you were ever to try to measure for record it, it changes, or it only works when you do not measure it, only observe.
>>
This thread only needed one post.

It's magic I don't have to explain shit.
>>
File: 1487470898184.jpg (121KB, 924x720px) Image search: [Google]
1487470898184.jpg
121KB, 924x720px
>>18888942
*distant skating noises*
>>
>>18888942
>Magic so far seems to be very alike to quantum mechanics, so if you were ever to try to measure for record it, it changes, or it only works when you do not measure it, only observe.
You hear this same bullshit from people talking about how "your perception changes the universe! If you observe quantum mechanics they behave differently, ergo perception alters reality!
Nigger no, observation itself doesn't affect what's happening, the METHODS USED TO OBSERVE cause the affect. Nothing is happening differently just because it's seen.
>>
File: 557c.jpg (214KB, 680x954px) Image search: [Google]
557c.jpg
214KB, 680x954px
>>18888946
here's your (you)
>>
File: 1410659147949.gif (2MB, 400x267px) Image search: [Google]
1410659147949.gif
2MB, 400x267px
Well there was that CIA unclassified program about remote viewing. That is a form of magic.
>>
File: rxnsweatingsamurai.png (189KB, 294x282px) Image search: [Google]
rxnsweatingsamurai.png
189KB, 294x282px
>>18888961
>7 frogs for 7 repeating digits
>dubs of 33 and 44, 3+4 = 7
>dubs of 99, (9-4) +3 = 8, the repeating digit of infinity that was shown 7 times

You can't make this up people.
>>
>>18888954
Last I heard, an unobserved room is essentially a series of codes until it's observed, when it manifests the info in those codes.
>>
>>18888954
So is a light photon a particle or a wave, what happens every time if you try to measure it?

Maybe magic is sort of like that on a larger tangible scale
>>
>>18888989
Not the same anon, and I know that that question was rethorical and you used it to prove a point, but still.
A photon, like any other elemental particle, is a both a wave and a particle at the same time. A wave-particle duality. It manifests properties of both states at the same time.

By "when you measure it" I assume youre refering to the uncertainty principle. The only way we have to determine where a particle "is", is to fire another particle at it and observe where they bounce off eachother, kinda like throwing pebbles at a wall in the dark.
When the particle we are trying to study gets hit, it obviously changes directions, so we dont know where it is. But now we know at what speed its moving.
Technically speaking, it postulates a global precision limit. Eventually you'll end up with a pair of complementary values, knowing one will change the other, like position and momentum.
Theres a fair bunch, you can look them up if you really want to.

>magic is like a value that we cant define or measure
It really isnt. Magic is like a kid saying there is a monster inside his closet. Whenever you go see, theres nothing. Obviously he's making it up, maybe he does it for the attention, maybe he really believes it. Doesnt matter.
Can the monster actually exist and phase out of existence whenever you look? Well, technically, yes. Does it actually exist? No, obvously not.
Thats magic.
>>
>>18889038
You're basically saying Magick is nothing but belief and illusion?
>>
File: autistic frog.png (13KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
autistic frog.png
13KB, 657x527px
>>18888675
magick doesn't real
>>
>>18889331
Basically. if I had a penny for every single idiot in this board that has actually done any sort of magick stuff, I couldnt buy a fun sized snickers.
This whole board is hardcore roleplaying. From people that pretend they saw le spooky man on the woods to schizos that literally believe they are messengers of god.

>haha what proof u hav :DDDD
Ive been on this board for almost a decade, and I used to be ridiculously active back when it was decent. Easily 1% of the posts are mine, and Im gonna come clean now. Everything supernatural was always a lie.
Ive met some other /x/ cunts over the years. And we've all admitted to have lied on this board. I still do. Its what we do.
We pretend it is real because reality is boring as fuck and ayys, skinwalkers or pretending that someday you'll be able to do magick is cooler. We dont even pretend that its real outside of this board, its a fabrication.
This board is a complete lie and has always been an inside joke from the beginning, how come retards still think any of this is for real?
>>
>>18889569
Because you keep lying to us and we like the lies more than reality too.

And it's always fun to play along with you, friendship it's magic after all.
>>
>>18889569
>This board is a complete lie and has always been an inside joke from the beginning, how come retards still think any of this is for real?
Because the majority of people who live on this planet still believe in the supernatural
>>
>>18889582
>>18889593
But you dont think its for real, thats what im saying. I know its fun to fuck around with people but this board was always a joke. A place to discuss our weed-tier theories about ayys and shit. None of the old losers ACTUALLY think they can summon demons.
Actually, anyone who does is a either a complete fucking retard or a very elaborate troll. That Thot cunt and the Imperialcuck guy are the fucking worst jesus christ.
>fim
my nigga
>>
>>18889467
4u
>>
>>18889669
>>18890476
>>18890483
>>18890488
Than you all for your kindness. Frogposters and kek are autism at its finest, I'm here to tell ya.
>>
>>18888675
Our brain's are quantum computers, and can communicate through electromagnetic fields. Stronger forces like telekinesis and full blown sorcery can be chalked up to string theory -- your brain manipulating the connections it has to the matter around you.

Magic isn't real, it's just science that 99% of people don't understand. Mostly because the world governments have suppressed it with religion because, well, imagine how fucked we would be if everyone knew they could control shit around them with their mind? Most people do it unconsciously, but if conscious we'd have supervillains all over the god damn place.
>>
>>18888954
>in 2013 and 2014 experimenters performed double slit experiment in an enclosed (not observed) system
>had test subjects alternate between meditating on the affects of the experimen and being distracted
>8gb of photon reads that show with 100% accuracy that observation would cause significant changes in the results of photon paths

Okay retard, keep pretending to know some shit.
>>
>>18889608
Magic doesn't exist, but psychic abilities do. But nobody here will ever figure them out, even though they are incredibly easy to access.
>>
>>18888807
>>18888888
Get BTFO. Magik confirmed
>>
File: 1476420784471.jpg (51KB, 526x701px) Image search: [Google]
1476420784471.jpg
51KB, 526x701px
>>18890843
>easy abilities to access
>no one on /x/ can do it
we really are low iq
>>
>>18890854
It's not about IQ. It's about knowing how to focus, knowing what to focus on, and being willing to practice. I was trained since youth, most of my family has these abilities fully developed -- it makes it immensely easier when trained by knowledgeable people in the window of opportunity for learning these skills (5-10 years of age). Problem is every year you spend not believing it is possible, it becomes exponentially more difficult to reset your brain and fully believe it's possible, which is step #1 to prevent electromagnetic interference within your own brain.
>>
>>18890869
So why aren't you flying around and raining down havoc upon puny magiclets you roleplaying punk ass hipster faggot?
>>
>>18888675
If by science you mean is it amenable to classical systems of reasoning id say the whole point is to tread off the beaten path. There are far more systems of symbols in the chaotic burble of possibility than anyone can contemplate. If you want to know why people bother to trek through this wilderness the answers are invariably for personal reasons
>>
>>18890879
Being able to pick up and move small objects =/= being able to fly and throw fireballs.

Shit is just concentrated electromagnetism. I'm not a fucking super sayan you kike.
>>
>>18889569
85% of Americans in the USA believe in creationism and not evolution. The majority of people in America believe in miracles and magic, someone needs to explain that.
>>
>>18889569
Sorry you have been reading this stuff for ten years and never had your eyes opened
>>
>>18888675
Magick is about forcing the hand of chance. You can take a scientific approach to magick but similar results won't always be repeatable by someone else. Crowley's motto for the Equinox was "The method of science the aim of religion." Magick has a personal component that is influenced by the will of the magician thru their own subconsciousness. Because of this personal component it would be hard to approach it as a "hard" science. Alchemy is the same way. If I give Bob and Mary identical instructions for the creation of a charged Wine stone, will they both end up with one if they follow the steps perfectly? Probably not. Let's say Bob has not learned to silence his distractions and has some lingering doubt if Alchemy is real, while Mary is completely devout and upholds the motto "Ora et Labora" faithfully. Then Bob most likely will not reach the stone and Mary will. There are many formulas out there to explain magick, but at core of it is the projection of the will. If you perform a ritual to get a job, but take no steps to achieving that job you most likely will not get it.
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.