[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /x/ What do you see when you stare into a mirror in near

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 44
Thread images: 6

Hey /x/
What do you see when you stare into a mirror in near darkness? Done right, most people begin to hallucinate. I am conducting a university project, and I need help producing a documentary. Please record yourself describing your experiences (using vocaroo or other such websites), and post it here. I will be extremely grateful for anyone who decides to contribute!

More info on the "mirror hallucination" phenomenon: https://mindhacks.com/2010/09/18/the-strange-face-in-the-mirror-illusion/
>>
I'll help you out Anon ౾
>>
>>18877120
That would be truly fantastic! The article says it takes less than a minute for the effects to start, but spend 10 minutes and see how it goes.
>>
Hopefully I remember to try this tonight
>>
>>18877149
>The article
post it negro
>>
>>18876921
>>18877635
my bad
>>
>>18876921
>https://docs.google.com/document/d/1F0vpMZA7VQqkawnUlwLPWcKfffneZuk7W0p_hlKxp7Q/view
>>
Not sure if this will help your project but I can tell you that on several occasions as a child from the ages of 8-11 my friends and I would stay up late into the night and in the dark would stare at one another's faces. By doing so for long enough without blinking we could induce the exact hallucinations that are described in your article.
Not exactly paranormal but it sure was fucking cool. Most usually seeing things like old aged faces and faces of gods complete with lightning crackling from the eyes.

I'm sure it could be repeated again though I've never really had a chance to try given how silly it would seem. But using a mirror I guess eliminates the need for a partner.

My suggestion however is that the mirror has nothing to do with it. Maybe try to explore in your research the way that dim light affects our eyes when gazing at any face.

Maybe it's a psychological thing mixed with optical illusion?

Post again here when your shit is finished, interested to see what you find!
>>
>>18877931
Thanks for this, this is very interesting. Use this as a guide, if y'all wish.
>>
>>18877987
In my experience, it doesn't even have to be a face. All it needs is to vaguely represent a face, and it can still induce hallucinations if studied for long enough. I remember as a kid watching a blanket strewn across a chair suddenly begin to boil and flow, and it stuck in my memory because it both fascinated and terrified me at the same time.
>>
>>18878044
OH SHIT I remember I was lying on the couch in my living room as a child one night staring at the chandelier and it began to resemble a face and scared the shit out of me. I froze up and then ran to my mom screaming. I've read about this phenomenon before but I never connected the dots until now.
>>
>>18876921
>What do you see when you stare into a mirror in near darkness?

Sorry to be the one who ruins the mood, but all i see is me.
>>
>>18878152
I suppose I should have specified you need to spend at least 15 minutes staring..
>>
File: 1444679466275.jpg (637KB, 1071x1068px) Image search: [Google]
1444679466275.jpg
637KB, 1071x1068px
>>
>>18878082
I feel as if perhaps this is what people experience when they say they can hallucinate if they meditate deeply enough - I know for myself I've had visuals comparable to around 3g mushroom trips just through meditation, and it seems that the trick is to not have the "HOLY SHIT" reaction if you want to keep experiencing it.
>>
>>18878152
when you stare into the abyss, the abyss stares back at you.

this thread reminds me of darkness retreat or silent retreat.
>>
>>18876921
it is said that mirrors are windows to another world.
>>
someone once told me witches can access your house through a mirror so i stopped looking at mirrors in the dark
>>
>>18876921
Me but an evil me. Even worse in my minds eye I imagine that I am torturing somebody. The scene is like from a movie.

>*Guy is bound to a chair. Struggling.*

>"My friend, did you ever read the story about Odysseus?"

>"MMMMMPH!!!"

>"I'll take that as a no. Odysseus washed up on a beach with his crew. After wandering around a bit the crew was surprised and overtaken by a giant. A cyclops."

>*Gets out unsharpened pencil.*

>"Now Odysseus and his men were in a bad, bad way. This cyclops shoved them all in a cage. The cage was like a... Refrigerator. Not cold like one. I mean it was there to keep snacks. And every time this cyclops wanted a snack he'd go down to that cage and eat a few of Odysseus's men. Right in front of him! Odysseus wasn't scared. He was fucking furious. And he had a plan."

>*takes pencil to antique crank sharpener*

>"When it became Odysseus's turn to be eaten he verbally addressed the monster. "If I am to be devoured I want to know your name." The cyclops laughed and answered: "Polyphemus, little man. You seem braver than the others. What is your name?"

>*Starts to sharpen pencil*
>>
>>18880733
>"Me? I am Nobody." Odysseus answered. The cyclops laughed at that. "What a strange little name for a little man! Tell me more about yourself." And Odysseus told him everything from the beginning. It was a long story and Odysseus noticed that the one eyed brute was pretty drunk. He kept laying on the bullshit as he tried to keep his eyes from wandering too far to the glowing poker in the fireplace. After a little while the cyclops nodded off for a second. That is all it took."

>*Walks over to bound man with pencil.*

>"Odysseus lunged forward and grabbed the giant poker. It took all his strength. Bitch was huge. Running on adrenaline Odysseus raised the poker and jabbbed it. Right. In. The cyclops's eye. The big giant howled in agony and bellowed out to his brothers who were living close by. "I AM HURT! HELP ME!" And the brothers called "Who has hurt you?" The blinded cyclops moaned "NOBODY HAS HURT ME." And the brothers scolded him, not understanding. "Nobody has hurt you?! It is too late in the evening for your jokes, Polyphemus." With the cyclops blinded and the brothers not taking the alarm call seriously Odysseus sprang to the cage and rescued his remaining, grateful crew."

>"MMMMMMMMMMMMMMPGH!!!"

>"Oh you want to know who I am and why I brought you here? See... I'm Nobody." :)

>*SKLSSSSSSSSSSH!!!*
>>
>>18878155
yea, did that. still me.
>>
>>18880735

I don't know whether this is bad or mediocre or intentionally cringey or not.
>>
File: -366166645.gif (490KB, 190x180px) Image search: [Google]
-366166645.gif
490KB, 190x180px
>>18880735
>>
Just tried this and saw a yellow aura surrounding me , also I can't go for too long because I seem to forget to breathe and break focus whenever I do need to take a breath. Gonna muster the courage to try it in the dark later tried it shortly and it freaked me out.
>>
>>18882209
I feel like you're forgetting to do something.
>>
This thread is really interesting, and I know its not exactly on topic but I do think they key here is the dim light. I remember lying awake on a mattress as a kid staring at the window, and the flecks of light spaced at regular intervals started rotating after a while wriggling like worms. Never thought anything of it until now but I suppose lying facing one way in the dim light for long enough would bring on that kind of hallucination if that article is true. I'd encourage other anons to think back to anything weird they saw trying to get to sleep as a kid you might just remember something strange like that
>>
>>18882500
?
switched off lights, stared into mirror,got bored after a while, stared some more, ended experiment. what did i miss?
>>
>>18877987
Did this too as a kid. I chalked it up to the chemical proving ground that is a growing child's brain over anything else.
>>
Just tried this a few times using the camera of my laptop as the mirror. The quality of the camera was shit but I didn't think that would matter as long as my face was there and the lighting was right. I don't think it even took 30 seconds of focusing on one point of my face before it would begin to distort and I would feel the dissociation mentioned in the article. I saw a few different distortions depending on the point on my face I stared at, but if I stopped focusing on that point it would reset. I may try again some another time if I can work up the courage and discipline to not move my eyes away from that point in response to seeing a change.
Now as for what I saw:
>The reflection make a small grin, showing a bit of teeth, despite myself remaining straight-faced.
>All facial features, including facial hair, disappear except for the eyes, which increased in size.
>The nose increase in vertical length, overlapping the mouth.
>>
Trogler effect. But also jungian theory. If anyone is curious this guy's thread is still up for now: http://boards.4chan.org/x/thread/18883766#bottom

Will share stories if asked specifics. Remember a bunch of his threads from 2013, none of his early stuff though
>>
I made a recording 18 mins long but it's pretty bad. I barely talk, and when I do it's mumbled and hard to hear.

The main effect I was getting was my face fading to blackness and then coming back. a little bit of morphing I suppose, but only when I really read into it. One quite disconcerting bit where I audibly reacted by saying 'holy fuck' but didn't even talk about it.

I'll make another one later if this thread is still around tomorrow or the day after. but if op wants this recording just reply and let me know. cheers.
>>
>>18876921
isn't this what those campfires stories were about? like bloody mary and such.
>>
>>18885335
Hey!
Upload the recording anyway. I might be able to do something with it. With your second recording, see if you can speak louder. What are you recording with? I generally use a smartphone, and bring it about 5 inches from my mouth. Or if you have a mic that can be plugged into a computer, use that.

>>18885363
Very probable!
>>
Used to do this with my friends on sleep overs. One of them had real buggy eyes so it made it super spooky. It's nothing interesting tho beyond that.
>>
i heard you can get alzheimers disorder from that kinda shit, but i dont believe in alien takeovers tho
>>
>>18880334
That just means you don't see the witch get in
>>
didnt work just see some faggot
>>
File: Screenshot_2016-12-06-04-39-33.png (2MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_2016-12-06-04-39-33.png
2MB, 2560x1440px
>>18876921
I feel I've seen this thread months ago. The answers are all the same as then.

Here recently I spent some time staring at the mirrior in a dim room for extended periods of time.

I seen a few different people as the reflection, and it was strange. I noticed if I focused on a point on the face I could get it to change. In example, the placement of light source reflected light just below my eyes, and if I fixated on it could be used to draw your attention to that area forcing the reflection to distort and change.

This works better if you stop focusing your eyes and let them relax. If you wear glasses it can be as easy as just taking them off. Lucky for me I'm near sighted, so it makes everything a bit out of focus if I'm not wearing glasses.

That all being said, this really reminds me of using a magic mirrior. (Like what you use for evocation for the keys of Solomon)

Picture related, it's a magic mirrior like the one described how to be built in Donald Tyson's book "How to make and use a magic mirrior"
>>
>>18876921
people moving around behind me. I usually don't stare, cause it freaks me out, but should I try it?
>>
>>18887007
Skip it, ask them questions instead. See if this is true....>>18877931
>>
>>18876921
Just my reflection. But frankly I just glimpse at mirror at night, never stare at them more than a second. I've seen too much movies to dare.
>>
>>18876921
I see my face, but is not like my face. It seems like is making a different expression, I avoid to stare at myself in the mirror at night, I got too scared
>>
File: im baked.jpg (89KB, 640x533px) Image search: [Google]
im baked.jpg
89KB, 640x533px
>>18876921
>mfw Jung was right all along

I would try that, but I prolly wouldn't last since I fear both mirrors and the dark, especially mirrors in the dark. What do, /x/?
>>
>>18890418
stop being such a fucking pussy and immerse yourself in a hot bath in darkness with mirrors surrounding you
Thread posts: 44
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.