[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do organ transplant patients sometimes take on characteristics

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 4

File: images.jpg (8KB, 199x253px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
8KB, 199x253px
Do organ transplant patients sometimes take on characteristics of the donor? Anyone know any cases I could use to research, or have a personal experience of themselves or someone they know?
>>
>>18875858
Bump. Pretty sure it only happens in movies but the concept is interesting.
>>
>>18875858

I saw an episode of 20/20, or something like it, a documentary; where after a heart transplant the recipient of the heart took on many characteristics of the donor (became athletic, outgoing, took up hiking, biking etc). Whether that was due to the transplant, or because he had a heart attack is completely debatable though.
>>
>>18875922
Could easily be a new outlook on life, though I vaguely remember reading something in high school about someone obtaining knowledge they previously didn't, and I cannot seem to find any info on it.
>>
>>18875858
No, if that were the case there would be no such thing as tissue rejection.
>>
>>18875858
Relative had a bone marrow transplant, marrow came from their parent. They claim that occassionally they share dreams/talk to each other while asleep. They live time zones apart. Shits pretty creepy, everytime we talk about it I get the feeling there is more to it than they share - almost like they dont want to acknowledge some of the extrasensory aspects as real.
>>
File: 1488214061152.png (641KB, 785x546px) Image search: [Google]
1488214061152.png
641KB, 785x546px
>>18875858
Watch Body Bags, segment 3
pretty good anthology, I liked the first segment as well

I'm pretty sure you don't inherit knowledge from the body part though, I doubt it at least
>>
>>18875858

I heard about this guy who lost his hand and had it replaced with a donor from a guy he knew and ended up getting possesed by him. He even took on his brittish accent.

But in the end it turned out that he faked it all along.
>>
If this was true then OP could get a brain transplant from a chinese dude and not be a retart anymore
>>
>>18875858
A few years ago scientists discovered that there is a "little brain" (ganglion and afferent neurons) in the heart. Which might be related to changes of personality after transplant, google it.
>>
>>18875858
Biologist here
Hate to burst your bubble (actually don't), but that's impossible because the nerves present in organs aren't complex enough to store that level of information. Only a brain transplant could make what you're asking reality.

Oh, and that whole Assassin's Creed thing about genetic memory? The term exists, but it's not literally memory. It's more like a set of "dos and don'ts" to keep the genetic code alive and prosper.
>>
The Heart generates its own magnetic field

>>18878391
Get your facts straight snarky atheist there are studies that have been done showing that people get organ transplants display certains skills or talents of the previous organ owner.

Also the gut itself is widely considered the 2nd brain even among scientist due to the large amount of nerve ending placed within.

Also, the heart generates a MAGNETIC FIELD so take that into account along with those other facts. It's arrogance to write it off as impossible just because there isn't some mainstream buzzfeed video about it.
>>
>>18878391
Sweetie physicist here, colleagues recently discovered that dna contains info in the way it bends, besides the code of nucleobases. So ive come to believe that biologists know jackshit about biological functions. Or at least are FAR from having anything close to a complete perspective. Saying this or that is completely impossible is pretty careless outside of the domain of pure maths.
>>
>>18878423
Post 'em, then.
>Also the gut itself is widely considered the 2nd brain
[citation needed]

>>18878454
Did you read what I wrote? DNA stores info, sure, but not like the brain does. It doesn't store memories of past lives, like Ass Creed makes you believe.
>>
>>18878391
>Biologist here
i call bullshit, otherwise you would know the heart is capable of sending signals to the brain, not just to let it know whats happening, but signals much like the brain sends to the other organs.
that and the fact that your base personality can be sourced from your DNA.
>>
>>18878531
Did you read what I wrote? Biologists do not know completely how dna works. Nor do they completely know how the brain, or any other organ by the way, works, in fact last time I checked there only was speculation on how memory is stored, maybe that changed?
The level of ignorance is so big that, just as an example, last month there was a paper published on Nature showing that rats produce about half of the platelets in their system and blood stem cells in their fucking lungs. Which might be similar in humans.
So yeah, I think that you can say that it is HIGHLY UNLIKELY that there are changes of personality asociated with hands transplant or w-e, but not outright deny it, unless you can support your claim with studies.
Also there have been quite a few papers in elsevier and nature these last years showing that gut microbioma is strongly related to serotonin and a couple other neurotransmitters synthesis, maybe thats related to what the other guy was refering to. At least it certainly means that your gut does have and impact on your general mental state no?
And yeah the whole assassins creed dna bs is obviously bs, on the other hand its a just part of the setting for a fucking game so who cares.
>>
File: gappy.jpg (404KB, 1440x900px) Image search: [Google]
gappy.jpg
404KB, 1440x900px
>>18875858
jojo? is that you?
>>
>>18878252
BROTHER!
>>
Check out the case of Sonny Graham. Ended up marrying the widow of his donor and eventually killed himself like his donor too.
>>
>>18878531
biologist huh? http://www.namahjournal.com/doc/Actual/Memory-transference-in-organ-transplant-recipients-vol-19-iss-1.html

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/gut-second-brain/

read it and weep
>>
>>18875858
Yes. A woman in a study I read got a kidney, started craving American beer, out of nowhere. A certain brand, couldn't put it out of her mind. Come to find out, the Kidney was from a boy that died in an auto accident, college student. Football player.
>>
>>18878391
Bullshit. 10 years ago biologists would've said there's no way your experiences alter your DNA or that there is no way that mental disorders have anything to do with brain function.

Yet epigenetics and the microbiome are some of the biggest candidates for research right now. Close-minded scientists like yourself, are the perfect proof that an education doesn't mean you know how to think.
>>
>>18881588
"A 47 year-old white male foundry worker, who received the heart of a 17 year-old black male student, discovered after the operation that he had developed a fascination for classical music. He reasoned that since his donor would have preferred ‘rap’ music, his newfound love for classical music could not possibly have anything to do with his new heart. As it turned out, the donor actually loved classical music, and died “hugging his violin case” on the way to his violin class (2)."

Fake. Niggers can't play violin.
>>
File: IMG_20170411_133859.jpg (51KB, 661x757px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20170411_133859.jpg
51KB, 661x757px
I had an organic transplant done by an organic doctor. He was well received by several Hollywood stars and was considered to be the best. He used a scissors to snip my ding dong and sow on instead a much more substantial dog genetalia, and let me tell you, the lady dogs love my dog nuts if you know what I mean! I endorse natural organic surgery and trans species dig transplantation.
>>
>>18881916
my black sister can play the violin, bitch.
>>
>semi-decent thread about something that's been well documented and isn't that far-fetched
>/b/tards ruin it

this shit right here is why /x/ died

not because of schizos
not because of LARPers
it died because of /b/tards
>>
>>18882034
When do you think it died?
>>
>>18881916
>the donor actually loved classical music, and died “hugging his violin case” on the way to his violin class

That's both beautiful and sad.
>>
>>18878531
>citation needed
do u feel hunger in ur head? how would u know that its time to eat if ur gut didnt tell ur brain to make u feel hunger?
>>
I have some sort of musculature in the back of my legs from some dude who died in a motorcycle accident. I then went on to break while my knee in a bike crash and fuck up the shit I got from him. Do you count that as a shared trait or cosmic irony?
>>
The only way someone would have picked up traits of the other person is if they chose to act a different way
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.