[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /x think of this profound writing? A question has

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Azathoth.png (228KB, 632x500px) Image search: [Google]
Azathoth.png
228KB, 632x500px
What does /x think of this profound writing?

A question has been brought to my attention recently, and I have been asked to present my thoughts on the meaning of the word ‘good’. After thinking about the topic for a while, I decided the best possible way to find the true meaning of ‘good’ is to look within the confines of a dictionary so, good is defined, according to dictionary.com, as:
“ morally excellent; virtuous; righteous; pious: a good man.
satisfactory in quality, quantity, or degree: a good teacher; good health. of high quality; excellent.
right; proper; fit: It is good that you are here. His credentials are good.
well-behaved: a good child.”
>>
>>18869711
This seems to answer the question part of the way, but there is still one problem, we have only defined ‘good’ as an adjective therefore only giving us half of the answer. Most of the above definitions of good are rather self-explanatory so I will leave you to interpret them, well, all except for the first one stating morals. I will go deeper within the morals in a second but first, in order to define the word ‘good’ in another sense we will again turn to dictionary.com.
“noun
profit or advantage; worth; benefit: What good will that do? We shall work for the common good.
excellence or merit; kindness: to do good.
moral righteousness; virtue: to be a power for good.
(especially in the grading of U.S. beef) an official grade below that of “choice.”
>>
>>18869713
The word as a noun is a controversial subject for a few reasons and we will look at each one to determine the meaning behind why. The first statement, of “profit or advantage” gives us reason to believe ‘good’ in this sense is for some sort of gain, or advancement towards a goal which actually is not really not too controversial because everyone knows what advancement and gain means as basic common knowledge, or at least everyone has some sort of idea of the meaning of advancement or gain. The next, “excellence or merit.” Is also quite self-explanatory because an act of kindness is unmistakable and does not generally strike too much controversy from person to person, some just choose not to accept the kindness given to them.
>>
>>18869719
Then comes the most controversial of them all, “moral righteousness; virtue: to be a power for good.” This statement makes defining ‘good’ something, which cannot be taken in as common knowledge because morality is relative. Growing up in different circumstance, or in different cultures may render your morality different than others around you, and what you may find to be ‘moral righteousness’ may not be seen as such by someone else. Now, in order for morality and good to exist there must be a form of ultimate good and ultimate evil in order to act as the authoritative figures on both ends.
>>
>>18869721
One cannot exist without the other. So the word ‘good’ actually boils down into two different groups ultimate good, and societal good. The ultimate good can have no evil within it in order to maintain itself as the authority on all things good, whereas societal good does not need to have a riddance of evil because this good is determined by humans and what benefits them or their various religious beliefs needs. Meaning, ‘good’ as a societal term can change at any time, for example; If you were to see a woman on the street showing her bare ankles, and bare face would it bother you? No it would not because in our societal terms of ‘good’ and ‘bad’ or sometimes known as ‘right’ and ‘wrong’ we do not have a strict opinion on the bare ankles of women or a woman’s face. In other societies, mainly the Middle East, a woman showing bare anything may be seen as a crime and there will be consequence.
Overall, ‘good’ as an adjective is self-explanatory because it only describes actions taking place, but ‘good’ as a noun can be seen as controversial and in order for any kind of ‘good’ to exist there must be an ultimate authority ruling over the ‘good’ and another ruling over the ‘evil’. Without those two figures, humanity has no real morals and places its hope in pseudo moralities. I believe in such figures though so ‘good’ can be separated between ‘ultimate good’ and ‘societal good’. Ultimate good cannot change for it is the absence of evil, but societal good can change because humans are not the ultimate authority on good so we can only define the word in our own terms, which vary from place to place
>>
interesting topic. too bad it's not paranormal.
>>
>>18869711
simply existing will not do, no.
one cannot truly know good without bad
black is the opposite of white.
take the good WITH the bad
If you wanna get to heaven,
you got to raise a little hell

imagine a world with out evil.
is this even possible?
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.