[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is sleep paralysis as "rare" as wikipedia says? (only

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 1

File: enhanced-8025-1433356200-1.jpg (18KB, 625x352px) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-8025-1433356200-1.jpg
18KB, 625x352px
Is sleep paralysis as "rare" as wikipedia says? (only 8% of people will have it at some point)

As a kid i used to have SP almost weekly (sometimes i would, sometimes i wouldn't for a while) for the span of about, i'd say, 4 months.

I still remember the first time, the scariest one.

I was on my bed and i couldn't move, only breathe and blink, i can't still remember that i was trying to scream to alert my dad but i couldn't and that freaked me out.
Eventually my mind played tricks on me and i saw a dark figure, what i probably thought to be a robber, entering my room and goes to a blind spot where i couldn't see it, i just closed my eyes and hoped it wasn't real.

Now the only thing im scared of in SP is being late for something and not being able to move.

The figure is similar to the one in the pic except for the fact that the face wasn't visible, just all darkened out.

What made me remember of this was that a few days ago i was sitting at my PC really late at night and i fell asleep just to wake up with my face on the desk and not being able to move, this time i managed to remain calm as there's nothing to fear.

Is SP really only 8% of the population?
it has to be more, i've met so many people that claim to have had it.
>>
I have sleep paralysis quite frequently. Copy pasting from a youtibe comment I made:
>I've had sleep paralysis episodes lately where some kind of floating shadow harasses me and makes very disturbing gurgling noises. Sometimes these episodes begin by it mimicking the sound of people's voices that I know like my mother or my cousin. Once I heard my mothers voice, but realized quickly that it was the middle of the night and it was impossible that she would be calmly repeating my name like that, so I ignored it figuring that I was imagining it in a kind of half-sleep. Immediately upon decing to ignore it I was "assaulted" by a barrage of angry whispering voices that I felt like a wind blowing against my head. These episodes are almost always accompanied by periodical violent "spams" like a thrust pushing down against the base of my spine. Not shaking out of control or anything but thrusts following at intervals.
>the last few times this happened I decided that there was nothing this being could really do to me if I remained detached and placid, and the paralysis faded almost immediately.

Last time I had sleep paralysis was probably this past Friday. I was lying in bed and suddenly a weight descended on my body (was lying on my stomach), and it felt like the space around me "warped".
>>
8% of the world population is still almost a billion people, OP
>>
>>18853072
There have also been times where I will dream (perhaps it's not a dream but an out of body experience) where I will be in some part of the house, usually the bathroom. Everything will be a little darker than usual. Suddenly out of nowehere and always taking me by surprise I get tackled to the ground by this "shadow-being" and find myself back in bed unable to move.
>>
SP is the most fucking frustrating thing about this board. I can stand people talking about their experiences with SP, like their hallucinations, general experiences...but when there's retards who come here and say shit like 'is it rare' and 'wow having SP is horrible and debilitating' acting as if it's something fucking major.

I've had it since I was a kid, and go through episodes of it. I can go for months without it but then have it every night for a month.

Contrary to popular belief, SP is easy to get used to and people claiming to be plagued by it are just self pitying cunts, or liars. After you see the signs of it happening for the 10th time, you're aware what's going on and don't panic, it becomes more of an annoyance.

Also, everyone has SP, just some are aware of it more than others.
>>
It's not a fucking disease it's just a thing that happens when you fuck up your sleep schedule.
>>
>>18853717
Fucking this.
I never understood why people acted as though sleep paralysis was some horrifyingly debilitating ailment.
>>
>>18853724
Some people just have nothing to feel special about. This whole board is just sad.
>>
>>18853717
>>18853724

Bear in mind that experiences like dreams and sp are not cookie cutter.
What you experience can be entirely different from what others experience.

My mother and i both get sp. During hers, she gets to lay there or fly while i get tormented by demonic looking creatures that sometimes attempt to "kill" me
>>
>>18853724
The only time I'd say it is is when it's chronic, but that is actually rare. I've seen videos and heard of a few people who have been in it for hours, which then you could call it debilitating.

>>18853729
Any form of SP which involves auditory and visual hallucinations is easy to get over after you've had it enough. I get the same shit...shadows, gurgling noises, spiders, all sorts of wild shit, but after the millionth time it just becomes annoying, like anything else you're subjected to over and over again.

If a real life demon kept coming into your room at night and pretending to stab you for a short amount of time, after the 100th time you'd just want him to get his shit over with so you can go back to sleep.

>>18853725
It's exactly this. SP is used as a crutch for boring people from my experience, which is probably why I feel so strongly irritated by it whenever it comes up here.
>>
>>18853740

Well i guess that puts me on the chronic end of the spectrum but i don't tell most people about it at all so i def wouldn't say anything about it being for attention. (Havent posted on x in about 2 years even)

I've had typical short episodes where im just stuck for a little and essentially fight my way awake but then I've had these ones that start as "dreams" become night terrors and the sp sets in when it gets bad. It can't be "gotten used to" if the situation is always changing.

For example, it'll feel like im awake, having a normal day with normal people and then something really fucked up happens. I tell my brain ok this isnt "real" its happening and the fucked up shit continues to happen until whenever im finally released. Sometimes it's short, sometimes its very long.

I woke up maybe a half hour ago precisely because of this.
Was having a dream that was playing out like a "normal"day
Throughout the dream my younger sister was babysitting someone's baby but they were like backround characters in the dream. The baby was "getting a cold". I went in my room upset about something and shut the door. (Dream drama shit)

My sister yells for me to come quick and help
I run out to the kitchen and the baby is turning blue and choking.
I picked it up and it starts expanding and its skin gets darker and as i hold it away from me and look at it, its eyes begin to turn black
I tell my sister "That's not a baby, that's a demon baby" and i wake up into sp still seeing this fuckin baby smiling at me.

Should i be used to this? Sure if i was a psycho and watching a baby almost die and turn into a demon instead is "normal" the scenario is never exactly the same. Usually involving death or near death of someone close to me.
>>
>>18853775
shut the fuck up you child.
>>
>>18853777

>>30
Child? Lol
People like you are precisely why u stopped coming to /x/
You idiots want to delve into your creepy pastas n spoopy cartoons and ignore the reality that real horrors do exist
>>
>>18853781

I*
>>
>>18853781
I told you to shut the fuck up because you essentially described a nightmare and played it as if it was some sort of traumatic experience.
>>
>>18853775
>chronic end
>goes on to explain a dream they had

my condolences.
>>
It's probably because the people that don't have it don't go to this site and that's why you can't find anyone who hasn't had sleep paralysis. Also might have to do with a higher population of people who have experienced sleep paralysis in different countries.
>>
>>18853792

I said it became sp but you obviously didn't read my whole post. Things like this are what x was designed for. you can't seem to handle the fact that my experiences are different than yours
And you're acting like a jelous prick
>>
>>18853798
In my original post I clearly stated it's cool to see other peoples experiences with it in regards to what happens, what we here cannot stand is when people act as if it is debilitating in any way, unless you're literally locked in your body for hours at a time, week in week out like a very rare few do suffer with.

Give us your experiences, but make no mention, or even imply it's of any concern for your health or well being, because that shit gets old real fast.
>>
>>18853798
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omzsLqbgRaU

Here is an example of chronic SP.
>>
I wonder if it's related to child abuse (of any sort).
>>
>>18853806

Sleep paralysis is defined as the mind waking up before the body.
Is it so hard to believe someone could be in a Dream state before then and that some of the hallucinogenic effects could carry over into the experience and affect you psychologically and physically?
There are some documented cases of people dying during sp due to heart conditions.

As i said before, sometimes it is just being stuck there in that dark inbetween where you can't move etc and other times it follows a fucked up night terror. I never denied the involvement of my nightmares but its more like a lucid dream where i feel completely awake until something bad happens.
In the instances where i have been "attacked" i have physically felt like i was choking and even felt pain.
Even if my brain is creating the sensations from a heavy dose of dmt there's no avoiding it and i refuse to minimize my experiences to make others feel comfortable.

I had a sleep therapist as a child
I was a chronic sleepwalker and i suffer from microsleep as well.
My sleeping habits are not normal and no, it doesnt make me feel special it makes me feel fucking tormented. Sp is a spectrum thing i don't think people like me are uncommon i think people like you are just unwilling to accept the differences.
>>
>>18853846
It's time to stop bud
>>
>>18853818

My longest are usually 20 mins to a half hour but because of microsleep i have come out of it and entered immediately back into it the moment i close my eyes again.
>>
>>18853853

Don't call me bud you asshole.
You just don't like that my experiences are more intense than yours. You can't relate so it makes you angry. Stop being so god damn childish and learn to accept that not everyone's brain with their unique dna sequencing is going to behave the exact same in sp situations
>>
>>18853863
>Don't call me bud you asshole.
lmao

>You just don't like that my experiences are more intense than yours.
You just proved my entire point with this statement

>learn to accept that not everyone's brain with their unique dna sequencing is going to behave the exact same in sp situations

Just admit you're a pussy.
>>
>>18853872

You're denying basic science.
There are variables in every individual. Nothing is ever across the board.
Why don't you go back to fapping to your slenderman fanfics?
It's all people like you are really good for. You and your kind ruined the concept of /x/ with your closed minded attitude.
Quick to jump on anyone that describes something different than you're used to.
What's the point of having a para board when only people with pleb tier experiences are allowed to post without getting shit on?

I suppose if i labeled it a creepy pasta then it would be okay to be disturbed by it.
>>Oh no my scary Zeldas
>>Oh no my scary dog in the woods
2spooky4me

>>dying baby becoming demon spawn
That's some pussy shit right there
>>
>>18853892
stop being sheltered
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.