[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are there any strong, powerful meditations for a complete novice?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

File: ad_206680128.jpg (346KB, 2122x1415px) Image search: [Google]
ad_206680128.jpg
346KB, 2122x1415px
Are there any strong, powerful meditations for a complete novice?

I've tried power breathing and while the light-headedness is nice it seems pretty pointless.
>>
i'm trying and failing to figure out how to apply the adjectives "strong" and "powerful" to meditation.

i'd suggest Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind as a book to check out at the library. or go through Crowley's basic introduction to meditation. focus first on breathing and letting go of your body, let the empty mind come later.

meditation means different things in different cultures but it tends to be about letting go, relaxing, unfocusing. if you want "strong and powerful" i suggest you take a muay thai class and learn how to hit things hard.
>>
Yoga. Any kind. For you I recommend reading Chopra.

Also your approach to meditation seems "pretty pointless"
>>
>>18850672
Also, Crowley's 8 lectures on yoga would be a good read. Have you tried just doing the fourfold breath? There is the 'meditation on a point' that is usually prescribed for GD neophytes that might help as well.
>>
Thanks guys.
>>
>>18850552
to achieve what
>>
>>18850672
Most meditation systems, especially those in Buddhism and other Asian religions, do not encourage letting go and losing focus. Quite the opposite they teach to be aware of the breath, to learn to concentrate on it while not being distracted by the waves of the mind. Single pointed concentration is essential in order to engage in higher forms of meditation.
>>
>>18850552
Go full aghori and smoke some ganja and meditate in your own feces.
>>
With the right teacher, Kundalini yoga you feel right away. It's my favorite so far.
>>
File: waiting for our turn to speak.jpg (18KB, 212x212px) Image search: [Google]
waiting for our turn to speak.jpg
18KB, 212x212px
>>18851316

>focus first on breathing
>Quite the opposite they teach to be aware of the breath

ever notice how every single poster on this board is so doggedly determined to find a flaw they can point out in someone else's post that they can't actually, you know, be bothered to slow down and read the post they're deconstructing?
>>
what are you hoping to achieve from meditation to start with? personally i use it to focus my life and energy in certian directions. meditation is simple. fine a quiet place sit calms your mind and well meditate. try to keep your mind calm and focused and not racing to random thoughts. the ways you find places in your mind is a little different and would take some reading on the subject. hard to explain how ive done it usually take hours upon hours to achieve sometimes days also.
>>
>>18850552
I've been researching and reading mediation material for the past year and a half now so I have knowledge that can help but may be incorrect, so feel feel anyone to point out my mistakes.

I don't know what you mean by strong or powerful meditation. You have different kinds of meditation, the most common being insight meditation (vipassana in Pali) and Metta (Loving Kindness).

Insight is cultivated by mindfulness, which is 'bare attention', a nonjudgemental way of looking at a phenomena (typically the breath for beginners). The goal traditional goal of meditation is to relieve the mind from typical forms of psychological suffering; anxiety, doubt, regret, normal mind wandering.

If you pay attention to what makes you unhappy, you will find that it is you minds habitual tendency to repeat unpleasant thought over and over. The nearer goal of vipassana is to be able to see thoughts as thoughts, essentially not be personalised as your own. When one can do this, an immense burden feels as if its been lifted from your moment to moment experience. (From personal experience, I know this feels 100x better than the drug ecstacy, it's like a sober crystal clear, calm awareness).

Loving Kindness meditation is used to overcome ones habit to be greedy, vindictive and judgemental towards others. You essentially keep a mantra in your heading ticking over about how you wish happiness for another, starting with a friend and then progressing to an enemy. If you've ever taken the drug MDMA or ecstacy, it is a similar experience in regards to the way its just seems obvious that everyone is deserving of happiness and the thought "I like you because.." just seems ridiculous.

If anyone can correct anywhere me I would appreciate it to help anyone in this thread
>>
Meditation is like extra sleep. It helps you process and generally renews your mind. It can also change your perspective. What is powerful meditation? Do you start glowing?
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.