[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /x/, why is "uncanny valley" so creepy ? I mean

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 2

Hey /x/, why is "uncanny valley" so creepy ? I mean obviously the concept of it seems to be well understood (Mostly by Freud with the "unheimlich" idea) but given the fact that the biological mechanism of fear is supposed to keep us safe from external threats and is most likely proportional to the level of threat (you'll be more scared of a lion chasing you than a scorpion for instance) how could you explain that most of you would probably feel pure terror if they encountered pic related staring at them ? Is this some sort of glitch in our biology or maybe do we have some sort of "innate" knowledge (hence fear) of the paranormal ?
>>
File: 1459292052682.jpg (113KB, 960x1280px) Image search: [Google]
1459292052682.jpg
113KB, 960x1280px
Here's the full pic btw.
>>
Pure terror? No. Unease from not being able to tell if pic related was human or not, or a threat or not? Yeah, probably. Ambiguity is what feeds the uncanny valley. Same reason why some people have mannequin phobias, or why some of the best horror movie villains have masks or a human face with some type of deformity
>>
i think uncanny valley is more about avoiding sick people. those who had human faces but had visible symptoms popping off their face. the ones who didnt have the uncanny valley instinct died out of sympathy for the diseased, those who did survived.
>>
sickness, pretend facial expressions, people pretending to be other people by wearing their faces, there are plenty explanations for uncanny valley.
>>
>>18825749
Maybe pure terror is a bit too much but then where would you say this instinct of us comes from ? Imagining that a caveman would actually fear from ambiguity seems a bit far fetched to me. Especially given the fact that psychologists nowadays tend to dissociate "fear" associated with immediate threats (lion/bear etc..) which induces running, while on the other hand "terror" (uncanny valley, hallucinations, being surrounded by a group etc..) which can lead to complete paralysis and urinal leaks. So how do you explain then that the type of fear linked to uncanny valley seems to be potentially "stronger" in a way than immediate threats.
>>
i think anything remotely other wordly immediately scares the shit out of our brains because we automatically have ideas of what life looks like from our caveman times and when life comes at a shape your brain has no pattern for, it completely freaks out.
>>
>>18825780
Why do you doubt a caveman experiencing fear from ambiguity? Their instincts were undoubtedly stronger than our own because they literally had to act or die. There's a reason why we associate superstition with primitivism; when we lack information we fear, and in order to combat that uncertainty the human mind attempts to fill in the blanks
>>
>>18825733
Freud... One of my favorite pedo!
>>
>>18825733
Think of it this way, Anon. Pale skin could mean disease or a lack of blood. Limbs bent the wrong way (or a guy's head rotating more than it should be able to) could mean injury. It's real enough to look human to your brain, and real enough that your brain finds things wrong with it and thinks "oh shit, this human is fucked up. Maybe whatever fucked it up is still around here." or "jesus fucking christ, this guy are sick. I should maybe not breath anywhere near him or I might die."
Thread posts: 10
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.