[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is meditation a meme? I just spent a half hour "meditating"

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 120
Thread images: 15

Is meditation a meme?

I just spent a half hour "meditating" and all that happened was I sat there with my eyes closed and wasted a half hour. I didn't see any visions, I didn't ascend into another dimension, I didn't feel more relaxed, etc.

Seemed like a complete waste of time that could have been better spent on something constructive.
>>
>>18691532
the whole world can tell a snake from a dragon, but you cannot fool a zen monk
>>
>>18691532
is introspection a meme? probably not
>>
>>18691532
Also before anyone claims "hurr you must not have a third eye, dummy"

Maybe it's for stupid people who lack control and can't relax normally or have to set aside time to "search their mind" because it's off half the time. I feel relaxed normally, I don't have to set aside time to relax. I search my mind regularly, I don't have to set aside time, etc.
>>
Try contemplating your own death in a meditative setting.
>>
>>18691532
Meditation is best done in conjunction with such things as Dmt. You would have to fast for days and meditate in order to achieve an altered state.

You sat there for 30 mins and expected a firework show?
>>
>>18691559
>Maybe it's for stupid people who lack control and can't relax normally or have to set aside time to "search their mind" because it's off half the time. I feel relaxed normally, I don't have to set aside time to relax. I search my mind regularly, I don't have to set aside time, etc.

This is what it is.
>>
>>18691532
You went in with these crazy expectations, of course nothing is going to happen. You weren't trying to meditate, you were just trying to prove to yourself that it doesn't work.
Meditation is about silent introspection, about watching your thoughts drift by and watching the currents they create in your mind.

It's not something you just master after one try either, meditation takes dedicaiton.

Just sitting there quietly for half an hour is a good start, try doing it daily and opening your mind up to it. It's not just about relaxing sitting there, you have to be actively passive and passively active.

Try doing it every day for 30 days, I promise you'll feel better about it.
>>
>>18691532
Is lifting a meme?

I just spent a half hour "lifting" and all that happened was I got sweaty, tired and wasted a half hour. I didn't see any gains, I didn't get mired afterwards, I didn't feel more strong, etc.

Seemed like a complete waste of time that could have been better spent on something constructive.
>>
>>18691576
this desu
>>
>>18691532
Look into Jhanic states so you have some idea of different levels of meditation. You didn't even first Jhana my friend.
>>
>>18691551
>Is introspection a meme?
Yes. People have the most cognitive biases towards their own internal workings than to literally anything else

>>18691532
>Seemed like a complete waste of time

People who tell you that meditation is a way to become "enlightened" are fucking retards. Just like physical exercise is meant to hone the body, meditation is supposed to hone the mind, specifically the minds ability to focus. If you just "sat there with [your] eyes closed" then you weren't meditating, you were wasting your time. You need to pick something that wouldn't otherwise captivate your attention and focus on that for prolonged periods of time. What exactly it is you focus on is where the difference between various meditation techniques lie. Some techniques involve focusing on your breathing, others on chanting, others on flipping prayer beads, etc.
>>
File: Resized_Terry2WEB.jpg (288KB, 945x1416px) Image search: [Google]
Resized_Terry2WEB.jpg
288KB, 945x1416px
>>18691576
You don't get like this in 30 mins. Just like you don't trigger alternative states of consciousness without commitment.
>>
>>18691576
Best post in thread.
>>
Is planting seeds a meme?

I just spent a half hour "planting" and all that happened was I dug a hole, put a seed there and wasted a half hour. I didn't see any plants, I didn't get any crops, I didn't get any food, etc.

>>
>meditates once for half hour

>"this is useless!"

/x/ 2017
>>
I always thought meditation was boring and useless- it still is but it's way better with binaural beats. Would rather just do dmt but since that's not available, not a bad alternative.
>>
>>18691617
I know its funny right, sometimes I wonder why I reply to questions like that.

Its weird but, I'm like, if I reply to this idiot is this me trying to inflate my ego.

Regardless, anyone who expects anything in life without a little sacrifice is kidding themselves.

You sacrificed the God head to be here, yet you can't sacrifice anything here?
>>
>>18691604
I planted a seed in yo mama.
>>
>>18691599
This. If you jack off for 3 seconds and don't bust a nut, that doesn't mean fapping doesn't work.
>>
Is dmt a meme?

I just spent a half hour "doping" and all that happened was I sat there with my eyes closed and wasted a half hour. I didn't see any visions, I didn't ascend into another dimension, I didn't talk to god, etc.

Seemed like a complete waste of time and space are one within the boundaries of our multiverse. Endless and ending, truth is within reach.
>>
>>18691628
Meditation is like an empty shell, same as all main stream religion.

Over time the tools used to alter ones state of consciousness were discontinued and replaced with ritual bullshit. Like receiving holy communion.

Same as all the people who go and do Yoga thinking they're all one with the Universe to leave class in their hybrid cars and go sit in cafes bitching about celebs.
You want results cunt? Make some fucking sacrifice
>>
>>18691656
I assure you Dmt is not a meme.

I am very experienced with it, of course you will have to take my word for it!

But you want a life shattering experience, go do that.
>>
>>18691668

sit still. no wanting to transcend, no fretting yourself about prius driving people, no churches trying to indoctrinate you.

simply sit, and be.
>>
>>18691597
>Yes. People have the most cognitive biases towards their own internal workings than to literally anything else
thats not true introspection
>>
Since I don't want to start a thread about this, because I believe it will be deleted among other reasons , and Op if you're really wanting to know about altered states of consciousness.

I'm your guy.

>Shoot.

Ask me anything about altered states chemically induced or not. I will be genuine with my answers and will do my best to help you understand what can be experienced
>>
File: wojack chess.jpg (263KB, 764x551px) Image search: [Google]
wojack chess.jpg
263KB, 764x551px
>>18691559
>tfw to smart to meditate.
>>
>>18691532
>waste of time that could have been better spent on something constructive
How can you waste time? What are you trying to construct? Where did these ideas come from? You should meditate on these thoughts of yours.
>>
>>18691763
Not OP, still curious.

I'm trying to achieve an altered state without chemical assistance.
I've meditated reasonably successfully a few times, though I still tend to get distracted much too easily, do you have any pointers on how to "get better" at meditation?
I've also been trying to induce sleep paralysis and lucid dreams as part of my meditation, though I haven't had much success with it. Would you say these things are helpful or should I not bother?
And finally, my ultimate goal is to be able to achieve a state of OBE/Astral projection. Do you have any general tips about achieving this (eventually)?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.
>>
>>18691809
>to smart
>>
>>18691532
>thinks sitting with eyes closed is meditation
>thinks you should expect results after spending 30 minutes, on anything in life
>ignores a whole scientific corpus of literature on the benefits of meditation.

This is retarded on multiple levels.
>>
>>18691883
>I've meditated reasonably successfully a few times, though I still tend to get distracted much too easily, do you have any pointers on how to "get better" at meditation?

You would have to specifically tell me what you're trying to achieve through the meditation you're doing.

It goes without saying, when you want to meditate whilst there is no distractions, mostly, however outside noise can be helpful, again, it comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

>I've also been trying to induce sleep paralysis and lucid dreams as part of my meditation, though I haven't had much success with it. Would you say these things are helpful or should I not bother?

This is the best thing to do, sleep paralysis and being aware whilst in a dream can lead to experiences that will have you speechless, almost impossible to share with other people in words. Kind of like what happens when you do DMT.

The trick is to master the states, you have to learn to become relaxed in sleep paralysis, most people scare themselves out of the state, due to discomfort and other factors, mostly stemming from fear.

Through sleep paralysis you can go on to have what people would call an out of body experience, however be careful with wording, I don't believe our soul exists our body during this time, through my experiences I have found that is just an expansion of ones conspicuousness.

>And finally, my ultimate goal is to be able to achieve a state of OBE/Astral projection. Do you have any general tips about achieving this (eventually)?

First of all disregard all the labels people give the states, go into it with an empty slate giving your own meaning to it, in saying that your best best is, like I said above sleep paralysis. And Dream states, if you're conscious as you are now in a dream state the possibilities of what you can learn about yourself and the "world around you are limitless
>>
>>18691532
You were not focused at all. You can tell from this post that your mind is very scattered.
>>
>>18691575

Or.. yknow. Go learn a useful skill and actually improve your life.

Hell. Spend that half an hour listening to a damn audio book on language or something.

Literally anything over doing nothing and telling yourself you've achieved something that day.

Fuck it. Take a half hour nap even. Sleeping is good for you.
>>
>>18691883
Sorry that was.

>I don't believe our soul exits our body at this time.

Not exists. Typo
>>
lol you meditated once?

I don't even meditate and I know you're doing it wrong. try committing to it.

typical millennial subhuman expecting instant results
>>
>>18691883

Re-post without the typos.

You would have to specifically tell me what you're trying to achieve through the meditation you're doing.

It goes without saying, when you want to meditate whilst there is no distractions, however outside noise can be helpful, again, it comes down to what you're trying to achieve.

This is the best thing to do, sleep paralysis and being aware whilst in a dream can lead to experiences that will have you speechless, almost impossible to share with other people in words. Kind of like what happens when you do DMT.

The trick is to master the states, you have to learn to become relaxed in sleep paralysis, most people scare themselves out of the state, due to discomfort and other factors, mostly stemming from fear.

Through sleep paralysis you can go on to have what people would call an out of body experience, however be careful with wording, I don't believe our soul exits our body during this time, through my experiences I have found that is just an expansion of ones conspicuousness.

First of all disregard all the labels people give the states, go into it with an empty slate, forming your own opinion, in saying that your best best is sleep paralysis, and dream states, if you're conscious as you are now in a dream state the possibilities of what you can learn about yourself and the "world"around you are limitless.
>>
>>18692098
Too much sleep is not good for you actually. And you wouldn't retain anything after half an hour. You're not very smart..
>>
>>18691576
Fucking lmao, this
>>
>>18692017
Thanks for the reply anon.
I'll focus my attention towards lucid dreaming, I haven't had much success with it yet, but I'm sure I'll make it work eventually.

Would you reccomend a sitting or laying-down position when trying to trigger these states?
Any hints on how to stay awake/focused during meditation? My biggest problem seems to be just following mental tangents and getting distracted/getting excited about small successes and getting distracted that way...that or just falling asleep flat-out.

Sorry about all the questions, but it's not every day I get to ask them.
>>
>>18691576
OP blown the fuck out
>>
>>18692284
>Would you recommend a sitting or laying-down position when trying to trigger these states?

First I would like to point out not all dream states are the same, other than them being experiences.

Also there is levels of depth to the different dream states and how long you can make them last,you can consciously transition from any of these dream states to your waking life "reality" being consciously aware, which results in experiences that are timeless and can impact your life negatively if you're not grounded and of sound mind.

I class dreams in a few category's based on my Personal experiences.

What I call normal dreams, which are lengthy vivid and in depth, but I'm un aware I'm dreaming, just like this life, in some ways, surprisingly these states I have found to be the most fun. Because you are not in control, or at least you're not aware that you're on control.

Then you have Lucid dreaming, when you know you're dreaming, which results in you doing whatever it is that you want to do, surprisingly, this state other than its initial feeling of freedom or weightlessness (trying to word an emotion I feel when I become aware) becomes boring very fast.

Its like enabling God mode on a game. The first few times it was fun, however, sitting in infinity in a lucid dreaming waiting to wake back here can become somewhat troublesome.

And I mean that in the most LITERAL sense.

Then you have the experience that I get following sleep paralysis. this is chaotic, somewhat like a lucid dream, its like being aware but the "entities" you encounter seem outside of you. Wherein A lucid dream you know very well everyone is you.

>Would you reccomend a sitting or laying-down position when trying to trigger these states?

Lying down works best for me, always has, I don't even sit and meditate. Not in the conventional sense. The thing you want to do is try to relax your body without pacifying your consciousness. So when it triggers your conscientiousness can
>>
>>18691532
Is studying a meme? I just stared at the cover of my textbook for half an hour and didn't acquire any knowledge whatsoever!

>>
>>18691576
Rip OP
>>
The first time I seriously tried meditation I actually had a positive response. I've rarely been able to reach that level since. I felt my body spinning and changing size, and an orgasmic sense of pleasure and everything.
>>
>>18692392
Stop making shit up anon.
>>
I think it's a difference in brain activity. I just have to close my eyes and I'm bombarded with geometric patterns/landscapes/sounds/creations.

I think it has a lot to do with relaxing.
>>
>>18692284
>>18692392

Continued.

flow off away from "yourself"

>Any hints on how to stay awake/focused during meditation?

I focus on my thoughts, some people will tell you to pacify them, but they will start to change, till you find yourself in an altered state.

So I start by just imagining, anything really. Or you can just start with thinking about your day, your mind will do the rest.

>Sorry about all the questions, but it's not every day I get to ask them.

Don't be sorry, I am here to share and to help others achieve the states when possible
>>
>>18691532
Well, it's not a drug. I'll tell you that much. I can tell you're the type of person that lusts after results, so I don't recommend you peruse it any further.
>>
>>18692434
I'm not making this up.

I am a genuine person, I live a genuine life I am not here to troll or mislead others, if you think I'm talking shit there, your head would spin if I started talking about dmt trips.

Also this is where we will start to get people trying to shut this conversation down.

God forbid if anyone should have an experience other than this slither of the entire spectrum of infinity.

If you think I'm talking shit, then probe me.

If you're smart you will either understand that I am in fact talking about experiences that I have had and will continue to have, like anyone can with DEDICATION.
>>
I don't think anyone understands what meditation is.
Its reflection on the inner self. Existing souly in the moment. Allowing your mental state to flow by. Its not necessarily about relaxation, but more so finding peace within.
You don't have to sit in the lotus position with your eyes shut to meditate. Most commonly in our age meditation is done through hobbies, where your not thinking and not trying to force thoughts out of your mind, but existing souly in the moment, letting everything go.

Meditation is not a meme its just misunderstood because of pop culture.
>>
>>18692509
>Meditation is not a meme its just misunderstood because of pop culture.

Agreed. Like almost everything these days. What it is that makes people disbelive is all the people on youtube trying to get subs money and fame of off things they have no experience with.

But it doesn't surprise me. You will always have the people have the experiences and the people who aren't, I don't think you can have one without the other.

Its quite interesting.
>>
>>18692509
>I don't think anyone understands what meditation is.

I think you mean, they don't know what consciousness is. People know what mediation is, its the act meditating
>>
>>18692392
>>18692451
Thanks again anon, this is all actually very helpful to me.

A few more questions if you'll indulge me.

I've read that keeping a dream journal could be helpful in mastering lucid dreaming, is there anything to this or is it irrelevant?

What do you mean exactly when you say 'waiting to wake back'? Is it not possible to force yourself to wake up? Or are you just stuck there until your body wakes up naturally?

Someone told me once a good way to trigger sleep paralysis is to imagine your body slowly filling with liquid/light starting from your feet and up to the top of your head, and then slowly radiating outwards. Do you think something like this is helpful or is it just a matter of imagining/thinking about something in general?

You're being exceptionally helpful anon, I'm really feeling motivated to get things going proper.
>>
>>18692568
one last thing I forgot. Do you ever light incense while meditating? The smell helps me relax I think, but it can also be kind of distracting (I tend to be easily distracted/side-tracked) so I'm not sure if it's worth it.
>>
>>18692568
>I've read that keeping a dream journal could be helpful in mastering lucid dreaming, is there anything to this or is it irrelevant?

This actually did help, a long time ago my wife bought me a book to jot them down in, funny enough I didn't tell her what I wanted the notebook for, she came back with big book with empty pages called out of this world, with a cool little robot on the front.

But I guess that's besides the point. I do have a dream journal and I did write all my dreams and experiences in it for a while, a few years at least.

After a while I stopped writing in the journal, my dream recollection still seems to increase. So I do think they help.

>What do you mean exactly when you say 'waiting to wake back'?

I remember the specific dream (lucid dream) it was ancient Japanese themed, but at some point I become Lucid in the dream, which resulted in me changing aspects of it. I don't want to go into exact specifics of what I did once I was lucid but after I felt satisfied.

I literally sat down, on a chair, next to another person, we made small talk for a while, I'm sure it was just another aspect of myself, anyway I sat there for what felt like an eternity waiting to wake, or at least waiting for something else.

Surprisingly the surrounding environemnt took on that of an open eyed Dmt experience.

I knew I was dreaming, and I was bored waiting to come back here. Pretty simple I guess.

>Or are you just stuck there until your body wakes up naturally?

Im not sure.

>Do you think something like this is helpful or is it just a matter of imagining/thinking about something in general?

My wife believes crystals have individual properties ie. One good for heart one for lungs ect, I look at her funny I only see one thing.

What I am saying, find what works for you.
>>
>>18692589
>one last thing I forgot. Do you ever light incense while meditating?

We light incense while doing Dmt it was just something that stuck since the first time I was introduced to it through a now lifetime friend.

I think its relaxing I think its soothing. For me intense is a very strong reminder of altered states because I was always in them whilst it was on. So perhaps my onion is biast

Again, I don't actually sit and meditate in the conventional sense
>>
>>18691576
Holy fuck op getting BTFO
>>
File: d74.jpg (54KB, 640x482px) Image search: [Google]
d74.jpg
54KB, 640x482px
Fuck off with this DMT bullshit. Meditation predates DMT by millenia.
>>
>>18691741
It's the reason why self diagnosis of mental illness is so hilariously inaccurate, even if you're a trained psychologist. The brain is terrible at knowing its inner workings.
>>
>>18692712
My experiences on altered states aren't bound to those of Dmt, I explore any and all states of consciousness I can, so do you, otherwise you wouldn't be here and now.

I use Dmt as a reference point, just as I would use a sleeping state with a dreaming state, the more states you have to compare the more interesting things can become.

Some people just have awake and asleep, or just here.

But by all means its not all about Dmt. However, if you experienced some of the things that you can while in that state, I guarantee you would have a different opinion, people like you are most scared of these states.

Because you're comfortable here, which is fine
>>
i got a kink in my neck from meditating and BAM pinched nerve and now i've had a month of agonizing arm and shoulder pain that is just now barely begining to go away and it can take 3 to 6 months to heal, thank's alot budda you old fat ass hole!
>>
>>18692664
>>18692701

I think that's it anon, I'm set to really get into things. The way you describe things really meshes well with what I was already doing (laying down, using imagination/lucid dreaming, etc..) You've really helped me out a lot, thanks again.
>>
File: 1401326074721.jpg (24KB, 300x180px) Image search: [Google]
1401326074721.jpg
24KB, 300x180px
>>18692760
Perhaps you helped yourself anon, after all you came here. You help me just as much as I help you, just as much as the anon telling me I'm mad helps me.

You see without contrast I can't be here.
>>
>>18692756
Do you use any other drugs or is it just DMT?
>>
>>18692792
Maybe I did.

I have to ask though, since it'd be foolish not to. Have you found any dangers/pitfalls while exploring these states? Things to absolutely avoid and/or be careful of?
>>
>>18692816
>Do you use any other drugs or is it just DMT?

Its hard to answer this question. The simple answer is Yes I have, and do (sometimes) I am a father now, so my days are numbered when it comes to things like that.

I don't even do Dmt anymore, even after 10 years it still somewhat frightens me.
>>
>>18692856
What about DMT scares you? I've always wanted to try it, but I think it might be a little bit too intense for someone who's only used to smoking weed.
Is it comparable to LSD?
>>
>>18691576
Exactly this.
>>
>>18692833
>Have you found any dangers/pitfalls while exploring these states?

I am going to answer this honestly.

You can look at it from a few perspectives.

Yes, there most sertentl'y is dangers and pitfalls. However on the other hand, you will learn (if you delve deep enough) that all fear of danger just fear in general, is comical. Its not there because there is nothing to fear!

Literally, this one is a hard one to translate, you will remember at death.

But on a human level, there can be dangers, mostly because you will find it hard to integrate back into normal life. You have to take the standpoint of the watcher, which is really what you are anyway.

You must be careful what you wish for, and not all your friends or family really want to know that they're all the same thing.

It doesn't sit well. I understand why I respect it
>>
>>18692896

>Is it comparable to LSD?

Like all the power of an LSD trip condenced into 10 minutes
>>
>>18692896
>What about DMT scares you?

I have a daughter now, before it was easy for me to let go and have a breakthrough experience, you see you have to be willing to die in order to have a profound experience.

I got to the point, not even myself, but it was communicated to me in this way. But not in these words.

"Yes you know now, but don't get ahead of yourself, go back and have fun, play the part, this place is going nowhere"

Things along those lines. There becomes a point where enough becomes enough. And I'm quite happy just with my daily act ivies.

>Is it comparable to LSD?

Not really, I only did LSD 2 times and I was young it was chaotic. Can't really comment on that
>>
>>18692209
Not even that poster but did you even think your response through? A half hour nap doesn't imply the person is over sleeping, and also, have you never been in school? There is a lot that can be learned in just a half an hour, and a half an hour is certainly better than nothing at all. You could definitely finish at least a chapter of a book, read a few news articles, and/or learn a few new words within a half hour.
>>
>>18692833
>Things to absolutely avoid and/or be careful of?

Don't place importance on any one experience, no matter what it is, even the most profound, that's when you can start idolizing things, you start to dwell over the same thing. You take the experience for what it was and is and continue on. This way things won't stay stagnant.

Most importantly don't let the ego be inflated by these experiences, these experiences can make people believe that the ego is God. Rather than that which is.
>>
>>18692920
Just wanted to thank you one more time anon.
Bless you, seriously, you've been very kind.

I'm going to go put all of this into practice, something about what you said made sense to me, like it resonated inside my chest. Weird.

Thanks one last time. I truly appreciate it.
>>
>>18691532
Takes practice and training to another dimension or realm, its cheating if you use drugs and would have to take them again to transcend and double the work without them. 3-5 weeks 2times a day 10-20 mins breathing techniques are online also do it where your more relax and shower before .
>>
For the average person, I think lucid dreaming is far better than meditation. Meditation takes a lot of dedication and experience to achieve any significant altered states of mind. All lucid dreaming takes is the smallest bit of commitment and some dumb luck to have an experience that will expand your perspective on life and your consciousness.

Lucid dreaming offers feedback through the normal 5 senses which most people considered 'real'. Thus there is an almost intrinsic connection that the average person can make to this altered state of mind.

Dreams are a product of your subconscious. Interacting in your dreams and watching how it reacts teaches us a lot about our subconscious.

You can also shift into higher states of consciousness out of lucid dreams that are achievable through meditation.
>>
>>18691545

Fpbp

This board is fucking trash now, good job guys.
>>
>>18694161
?
>>
>>18691678
Any advice? I will try in the future, but I want to prepare myself about the experience. Is it true that the DMT teach you how is to die in a neurochemical way? Thanks.
>>
>>18691532
Did you think any thoughts while doing this "sitting there with your eyes closed for 30 minutes" thing?

Cus your mind needs to be quiet to meditate, brah.
>>
>>18694179
>Any advice? I will try in the future, but I want to prepare myself about the experience. Is it true that the DMT teach you how is to die in a neurochemical way?

Don't think about it to much, you will just end up making yourself anxious. Just do it. People will tell you to be in the right state of mind, but if you have enough that won't make one shred of difference.

Through my experiences and in my opinion, doing Dmt shows you exactly what you are in for at the point of death. When you're there it seems like the most familiar place somewhere that you have always been and will always be.

Same as now, but its harder to see here and now.

But it comes down to, you either do it, or don't. You can do it and find out for yourself. That's the best way to find out
>>
>>18691532
Let me just say this, there's a reason that most of the 1% is involved in the occult. Most of what is brought up on this board is somewhat based in truth. As far as visions go, it is a skill to be built up and improved upon. First you must learn to meditate and enter a state of Gnosis. Once in that state, focus on the 3rd eye area. Focusing on that area causes blood to flow to it. Keep doing this and over time your ability to visualize will improve. Take a look at the ArchTraitor BlueFluke book. It's an interesting read.
>>
>>18691597
>Implying true introspection is impossible
He'd rather let other people tell him how his internal workings work
>>
>>18691532
Meditating for the first time; not experiencing the divine.

It real as fuck. Hell MDMA bring me down cause muh meditation skills on point son.
>>
>>18691576
Meditating is still fucking retarded don't let your yous tell you otherwise. While your sitting like yoda I'ma be plowing your wife in your yota
>>
>>18692098
Holy shit get a load of this guy. Jesus Christ, you seem like an insufferable to spend time with.

>Guys I think meditation is good and personally have had good results

>Fuck you dude you're full of shit meditation is CLEARLY bullshit, wow you waste your time and I don't get it.
>>
>>18694608
You're a special kind of retarded.
>>
>>18694608
>implying I have a wife
>>
OP, in a full life I have gotten 1 vision total.
>>
File: 1487824434329.jpg (77KB, 488x290px) Image search: [Google]
1487824434329.jpg
77KB, 488x290px
>>18691532
Everything is a meme anon, which by itself doesn't mean it doesn't work
The world is as the people wishes it to be, collective will of memes make it easier
believe in the meditation and it shall work
>>
>>18695283
What's a memes
>>
>>18695287
From the dictionary:
>a cultural item that is transmitted by repetition and replication in a manner analogous to the biological transmission of genes.

By this, we can determine that culture, language, religion (or the lack or negation of it) and most spiritual traditions are, indeed, memes
>>
>>18695293
What's not a meme?
>>
File: milhouse[1].jpg (17KB, 300x252px) Image search: [Google]
milhouse[1].jpg
17KB, 300x252px
>>18695297
>>
It's not a meme. It's so serious that every life philosophy from one side of the earth to the other has meditation in some form.

It can be a hard concept to tackle at first, but I'll try to explain what I understand of it.

First of all, a nice concept to have is that, according to many ancient philosophies, you are not your body nor your mind for a fact. You are something else, something higher, many call it spirit or soul. Your mind acts independently from the soul, and that's why we have the need for introspection. To ease the concepts to a more scientific manner, think of the mind as a cognitive bias and the soul as pure understanding. In order to reach pure understanding, you need to bypass the mind, and that's where meditation comes in.

When you meditate, you do not think with the mind, you only observe. You detach yourself from your mind to watch how it acts. Since you don't think at this moment, you don't have expectations nor do you judge your thoughts, you just watch them come and go. Because you made a conscious effort to push aside the cognitive bias, you come closer to the so called pure understanding. When you meditate observing your thoughts, you begin to notice patterns, you begin to understand why and how you act, from perspectives you couldn't perceive before due to your bias, your mind, and with time you can change yourself for good because of how aware you become of your very self.

Like any skill, you're not going to master it or get amazing results the first try, maybe even the first 100 tries for a fact. You need to have patience and willpower to carry it on. The first few times you're likely to feel like you can't focus or concentrate without your focus wandering off with a thought, it happens.

Once you understand this basic idea of detaching yourself and focusing on something, other types of meditation come. If you believe in chakras, meditating and focusing on one of them can cause noticeable physical sensations, for starters.
>>
>>18695493
You know, I wouldnt introduce the word chakra so blatantly because theres honest people and then theres rpers.
I did observe by myself white dots in the spirit after falling asleep upon inducing a trance, but the only thing resembling your usual chakra description would be the white dot part, upon close observation they had a liquid organic feel to them, while maintaining a spirit and solid property to them, they were like push buttons of the spirit where you can input.
Nothing like the whorls of light and energy we are usually described its kinda crazy how they seemed organic input devices.
>>
File: 1488039966411.jpg (114KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1488039966411.jpg
114KB, 720x540px
System
>>
File: 1488040029616.jpg (265KB, 1067x749px) Image search: [Google]
1488040029616.jpg
265KB, 1067x749px
Map

Enjoy.
>>
File: IMG_0329.jpg (109KB, 600x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0329.jpg
109KB, 600x600px
>>18691532
>>
>>18694608
I've been lifting for years and gotten no gains what so ever.

I just keep lifting and lifting my weights but nothing helps. This whole lifting thing is delusional.
>>
>>18691576
OP will never recover.
>>
>>18694284
>a state of gnosis
You know, I had the notion that gnosis was endgame, not first step.
Describe your gnosis because we may be using different nomenclature.
>>
>>18691532
>I didn't see any visions, I didn't ascend into another dimension, I didn't feel more relaxed.

That's a lot of insights for your first mediation, OP. I envy you.
>>
File: triangle.png (427KB, 440x532px) Image search: [Google]
triangle.png
427KB, 440x532px
>>18691545
>wise-sounding zen gibberish
>>18692170
>I don't meditate but this guy is obviously wrong xD
typical dumbposter
>>18692414
>staring at a cover is analogous to doing meditation shit as just as instructed
>b-but if you don't see the benefits of meditation you aren't meditating correctly!!
>>18691576
>more BS analogies
>>smt
>it works if you use drugs!
wow, you can get trippy if you use drugs. who knew?

meditation is a scam. first off, they tell you your mind isn't supposed to scatter (aka you aren't supposed to have any thought at all). this is just a BS goal to keep yourself occupied. now if you had any thought at all they can just say your meditation was flawed to begin with. since you are unlikely to reach this goal they can always say you didn't meditate enough. plus if you try to keep track of this at all it ruins the goal ("am I having any thoughts... oops"). then if you ask "how do I do this BS goal" they use the opportunity to bring up zen masters and more BS to keep you into the scam.
second, even if you were to do it and do thoughtless focus for some period of time, there is no explanation/evidence why doing this will make you feel better or more relaxed (or some other benefit). it's just sorta assumed it does. at worst it might make your mind more susceptible. for that matter, taking a nap instead will also bring relaxation and make you feel better.
so keep meditating, goy ;)
>>
>>18696397
Many people around the world have experienced the benefits of meditation, including me. If you haven't, that's doesn't make meditation a "scam." Not every path is meant for every person.
>>
Mark Cuban, Bill Gates, and Warren Buffett meditate. must be Good right
>>
>>18696397
how would you know whether or not meditation has benefits? have you practiced proper meditation for any length of time? or is this the blind being led by the incredibly stupid?
>>
Is exercise a meme?

I just spent a half hour "exercising" I worked out by lifting 10 pound dumbbells and I still look like a scrawny faggot. I didn't see any gains, I didn't ascend to the true state of the alpha, I didn't get laid, etc.

>>
>>18691576
Oh, somebody already did it. That is what I get for being lazy. Good job anon. >>18699819
>>
Meditation is not leisurely sitting under a tree, trying to relax and "empty" your mind, that's a "Buddhism for the masses" concept that's further coated in new age bullshit. Meditation is more akin to spellcasting, you take it very seriously, dedicate a place and time for it, clothes as well, and include any other ritualistic aspects you deem necessary. The process itself involves extreme levels of mental focus towards the intended goal, giving it your everything to the point where nothing else is of any relevance. Imagine it like heavily overclocking your will and desire towards a goal, this comes with powerful physical sensations as well as mental. You may feel your whole body cold and "electrified", which gives a powerful surge of energy and disrupts sleep pattern so it's a bad idea to do it late during the day, save it for the morning, when the mind is also more clear.
>>
>>18696397
Fuck off kike.
>Meditation works

I got into meditation initially to deal with depression. I was constantly being bombarded by my own negative thoughts. I tried a lot of different ways of meditating and the one that worked for me was the Soto Zen approach.

I'm not depressed anymore and I went from being a long time atheist to being a Buddhist.

Your mind does scatter. It's all over the place. That's what minds do. When you meditate, you don't try to "not think." Thoughts will arise. You just don't chase that train of thought. You are just focusing on the right here and now. When a thought comes up, let it pass. Don't cling to it.

It is hard, but nobody has achieved anything without struggle. When you notice yourself going off into a tangent of thought, don't think "Damn!" just bring your attention back to the present, what's happening in your mind right now. It get easier over time to maintain your focus in the present moment while meditating. Every time you bring your focus to the present while meditating strengthens your mental muscle.

There is actually quite a bit of evidence that meditation has positive benefits. Look up mindfulness studies. If you do it long enough it will also have spiritual benefits.
>>
when i get into a disciplined practice of meditation and my mind is tuned in, freaky things happen that freak me right the fuck out, then i take a break. the heightened intuition though is great as is the clarity.
>>
This must be a troll. "Hey anon, pick up a violin for the first time and play me some flawless Mozart."
>>
>>18691532
Took me years to acheive just what you described, a near normal quiet mind
>>
>>18696155
True. The book I mentioned uses that term in a different context. I meant a general meditative state. A quieting of the normal chatter in the mind - singular focus on one specific point or action.
>>
File: 1487805821913.gif (123KB, 225x540px) Image search: [Google]
1487805821913.gif
123KB, 225x540px
I don't know if this is considered meditation, but staying present and focusing on the feeling of I am can bring a feeling of joy and deep peace. It's quite direct when you realize it's just a thought away right now.
>>
At first I felt like op when meditating. Now after a lot of practice if I feel like gong crazy I can sit and clear my head. It's pretty nice.
>>
>>18691532
>wasted a half hour
>Seemed like a complete waste of time that could have been better spent on something constructive.
Clearly you weren't meditating.
>>18691576
>>18691604
>>18692414
>>18699819
Nice.
>>
>>18691532
>I did a half hour of undirected and uninformed yoga and am disappointed that all I did was asana without attaining to the siddhis immediately.

>>18691559
The Ajna chakra is present in all life. Also, yoga is not for relaxing, it's for constraining concentration to Dhyana and then Samadhi.

>>18691570
Point me to where it says that in any traditional yoga manual.

I'll wait.

>>18691576
^^^THIIIS^^^

>>18691597
>You need to pick something that wouldn't otherwise captivate your attention and focus on that for prolonged periods of time.
And that's only at the lower bands of Dharana.
Thread posts: 120
Thread images: 15

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.