[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_N ew_Zealand_Flight_901 A

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

File: sssssssssssssasaaa.jpg (8KB, 210x243px) Image search: [Google]
sssssssssssssasaaa.jpg
8KB, 210x243px
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air_New_Zealand_Flight_901

An Air New Zealand Flight crashed into a Mountain in Antarctica in the 1970s.

Why exactly did it crash?

It was full of passengers, and crashed during the day.

Was there something on Erebus?

Was it shot down?
>>
>>18678803
they needed an excuse to forbade civilian flights like this to antarctica. why? we can only speculate.

what's up with this sudden international interest in antarctica? religious and political leaders have been recently visiting the continent.
>>
>>18678803

Dude. Have you never watched a documentary on the weather in Antarctica? The wind is made of RAPE. I mean, not 24/7, sure, but when it decides to get bad, it gets -fucking bad- ... Adding to this is the fact that aircraft have a horrible time dealing with Antartica because of the incredibly cold temperatures (obviously varying with the seasons), and if something goes just slightly wrong, the whole thing can get fucked. Why did this particular flight go down? I don't know. But I don't find it the least bit incredible that it did. Especially given this was in the 70s - their tech was not exactly as good as ours, and people flying out there are still playing a dangerous freaking game.

Additionally, since I didn't bother reading the wikipedia article (so I don't know if it crashed on/near/anywhere remotely around Erebus) conditions around that volcano can change VERY dramatically and VERY quickly, for natural reasons.
>>
>>18678854

> sudden international interest in antarctica

... You do know that a gigantic chunk of the ice shelf the size of Delaware has a ridiculously huge crack that's been developing, and it's looking increasingly, nervewrackingly likely that it's going to explode off into the death star of icebergs, right?

And that travel to Antartica has gotten a lot easier in recent years?

And that, you know, whether you belive it or not, climate change is kind of -ahem- - a /hot topic/ right now, internationally, and that religious and political figures tend to get involved in things that are generally understood to be a big fucking deal??
>>
>>18678898
"Climate change" is an ambiguous term. Do you mean the global warming theory, that no actual scientist believes in, or do you mean the coming Ice Age? Climate change is a weasel phrase. Be more precise.
>>
>>18678803
It crashed because of human error, when they were plotting the course to take they made an error in their measurements which resulted in the plane flying straight into a mountain.
>>
>>18678803
It was an issue with the coordinates.

>>18678898
Why do I get the feeling you understand jack shit about climate change?
>>
>>18680927
This kind of thing I find difficult to believe.

>Course looks good
>37,000 feet
>Mountain plane crash out of nowhere

Like what
>>
>>18680973
This is Antarctica we're talking. The sky is white. The mountain is white. The visibility is already poor.

Couple that with an attitude of "the computer is right and infalliable so we don't have to pay too much attention" and boom.
>>
How could they not notice this?

https://aviation-safety.net/investigation/cvr/transcripts/cvr_nz901.php
>>
Good job idiots.
The "GU" is supposed to be the so-called guide. Great job.
gu This is Peter Mulgrew speaking again folks. I still can't see very much at the moment. Keep you informed soon as I see something that gives me a clue as to where we are. We're going down in altitude now and it won't be long before we get quite a good view.
00:46 FE Where's Erebus in relation to us a the moment.
gu Left, about 20 or 25 miles.
FO Yep,yep.
FE I'm just thinking of any high ground in the area, that's all.
gu I think it'll be left.
FE Yes, I reckon about here.
gu Yes ... no, no, I don't really know.
00:47 gu That's the edge.
CA Yes, OK. Probably se further anyway.
FO It's not too bad.
gu I reckon Bird's through here and Ross Island there. Erebus should be there.
CA Actually, these conditions don't look very good at all, do they?
gu No they don't.
00:49 gu That look like the edge of Ross Island there.
FE I don't like this.
CA Have you got anything from him?
FO No
CA We're 26 miles north. We'll have to climb out of this.
gu You can see Ross Island? Fine.
FO You're clear to turn right. There's no high ground of you do a one eighty.
CA No ... negative.
GPWS Whoop, whoop. Pull up. Whoop whoop.
FE Five hundred feet.
GPWS Pull up.
FE Four hundred feet.
GPWS Whoop, whoop. Pull up. Whoop whoop. Pull up.
CA Go-around power please.
GPWS Whoop, whoop. Pull -.
>>
>>18678803
Take this from someone who is an absolute airplane enthusiast and a pilot himself (not commercial airlines): I have flown through all kinds of weather during the past few years, winds, storms and heavy fog, I love challenges.

That being said, I would never ever fly to or over Antartica for any reason. We are not talking just about the extreme temperatures or freezing winds. We are talking about rain that freezes on contact, we are talking about non existent chances of survival on ground, we are talking about white hell on earth.

So whoever flies there should be awarded a gold medal because I wouldn't come anywhere near that nightmare.
>>
>>18678803
Pilot here, this is what happens when you mix sightseeing with poor situational awareness. Simply, these guys fly people on tours over some stupid brick of ice, and at a low altitude. It's difficult or impossible to discern the horizon from the surrounding sky in even marginal circumstances. If you have a snow white surface and a overcast with the same shade of white, it's difficult to see the horizon. If there's any fog/mist/precip, it'll obscure the horizon. If you don't know to look for the mountain in front of you, you won't know to shift your eyes much higher for the horizon, you'll just stare at the base of the mountain.

I have flying experience in northern CONUS where there's a shitty white sky and shitty white snow for the whole winter. there's no terrain out here, so our biggest worry is picking up airframe ice from clouds. Look up VFR into IMC on youtube and you'll hear about the dangers of flying visual when you should be flying under instruments. And sometimes when it's legally visual, you should realistically fly instruments, like it the snow and overcast, on a moonless night, or over the ocean. Flying over water isn't bad for you, but past a certain altitude, the poor visibility below you obscures the sky from the sea, and you get a generic shade of blue from the top to the bottom of your vision.

If you want to ask more, go ahead, I'm no gubmint shill, I just get my dick hard for my passion. [spoiler]chemtrails aren't real on civilian aircraft, if the NWO had them there, the airlines wouldn't be so out of fucking money. thats unrelated though.[/spoiler]
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.