[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Did Edwin Hubble believe the world was flat? The way he's

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 9

File: Hubble Reveals All.png (53KB, 697x687px) Image search: [Google]
Hubble Reveals All.png
53KB, 697x687px
Did Edwin Hubble believe the world was flat? The way he's worded this, alluding to the fact that his observations point primarily to the world being flat multiple times and stating that it's only because such a conclusion is unfavourable that he must find a different explanation for the red shift phenomena.

My guess is that he realised through his observations that the world was flat and, knowing that his reputation and career would be in jeopardy if he ever came out and stated as such, he expressed his findings in such a way that any thinking person would understand his true conclusions but with enough backpedaling to keep academia happy. If I'm right then it's truly the final insult to name a fictional telescope after a man who would instantly recognise its impossibility and preposterous. .
>>
>>18648219
>inb4 This thread has been pruned or deleted
>>
No. He wasn't a retard.

Also that clip mentions geocentrism, not flat earth. Two different things.
>>
>>18648219

No, this has to do with observations of the apparent red-shift of stellar bodies. Avoiding the "supposition of a unique position" is really just saying there has been no reason so far to suggest we are in a "unique position" (geocentricity, for example), and that observations everywhere else suggest homogeneity. Avoiding the assumption of uniqueness helps to avoid the distortion of future observations through the lens of preconceived notions.
>>
>>18648251
Yes, you're right. That was silly of me. My question still stands though.
>>
>>18648265
>Avoiding the "supposition of a unique position" is really just saying there has been no reason so far to suggest we are in a "unique position" (geocentricity, for example)

That's not what he says at all.

>and that observations everywhere else suggest homogeneity.

What other observations are you referring to here?

>Avoiding the assumption of uniqueness helps to avoid the distortion of future observations through the lens of preconceived notions.

Why would geocentricity be a preconceived notion to any scientists of his time?
>>
>>18648219
Here's another quote from page 46:

" Therefore, in order to restore homogeneity, and to escape the horror of a unique position, the departures from uniformity, which are introduced by the recession factors, must be compensated by the second term representing effects of spatial curvature.

There seems to be no other escape."
>>
>>18648935
You can read the whole thing here:

https://ned.ipac.caltech.edu/level5/Sept04/Hubble/paper.pdf
>>
>>18648219

No, you illiterate fucking retard.
>>
>>
File: moon-nofun.jpg (93KB, 700x700px) Image search: [Google]
moon-nofun.jpg
93KB, 700x700px
>>
File: science-squad.jpg (103KB, 960x566px) Image search: [Google]
science-squad.jpg
103KB, 960x566px
>>
File: 1487224979761.jpg (61KB, 900x900px) Image search: [Google]
1487224979761.jpg
61KB, 900x900px
>>
File: mason6336811.jpg (178KB, 858x960px) Image search: [Google]
mason6336811.jpg
178KB, 858x960px
>>
File: ISS-hatch.webm (733KB, 720x576px) Image search: [Google]
ISS-hatch.webm
733KB, 720x576px
>>
Can someone explain how did Copernicus and Galileo determined how many _light years_ away different stars are?
>>
File: 1486517271780.jpg (759KB, 1800x1800px) Image search: [Google]
1486517271780.jpg
759KB, 1800x1800px
Of course he knew
>>
File: mars.jpg (6KB, 140x108px) Image search: [Google]
mars.jpg
6KB, 140x108px
>>18650800

Get a better telescope, retard.
>>
>>18650816
They didn't. Determining the distance to the stars came much later. It was only apparent they were super far away to Copernicus and Galileo. They didn't even understand the nature of light or that it traveled at a finite speed.
>>
>>18650816

They didn't.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stellar_parallax
>>
>>18650793
Look at Plato's forms. Wow, beautiful.
>>
>>18650873
>>18650878
Lol you globetards would believe literally anything the "astrophysicists" are feeding you.
>>
>>18650862
Well, I'm convinced.
>>
>>18648219
Alton Harp showed that the standard story of redshift does not fit observatipons. Changes are the standard astronomy is bs.
>>
>>18650862
Baka ga?
>>
>>18651158
This.
>>
>>18652581

No one gives a shit what your retarded monkey brain thinks.
>>
>>18651158
>says the guy who thought Galileo measured the distance to the stars
>>
>>18651158
>>18651158
The nice things about astrophysicists is that they publish their evidence in peer-reviewed journals, and even tell you how they did their experiments so you can reproduce them.

This is opposed to flat earthers, who make up absurd claims and then run away without even trying to support them.
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.