[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What country or culture has the best myths and legends? My vote

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 8

File: Lundby_nissen_1842.jpg (111KB, 493x550px) Image search: [Google]
Lundby_nissen_1842.jpg
111KB, 493x550px
What country or culture has the best myths and legends?

My vote goes for my home country Sweden and norse in general.

Closely followed by Native American and Asian myths.
>>
File: japfarbattle.jpg (5KB, 275x183px) Image search: [Google]
japfarbattle.jpg
5KB, 275x183px
I like the czech,hungarian,romanian or centeral/eastern european shit followed by japanese. then again I like weird hilarious shit.
>>
>>18634743
What about that ballsack shapeshifter thing from Japan?
>>
File: 1117936.jpg (4KB, 88x88px) Image search: [Google]
1117936.jpg
4KB, 88x88px
>>18634879
So Japs have been weird even before the bombs?
>>
File: kibori-hannya.jpg (67KB, 290x413px) Image search: [Google]
kibori-hannya.jpg
67KB, 290x413px
>>18635015
Hafu here. Yes, us Japs have always been weird. Awesome legends through. I still dont eat cucumber before swimming. Obaachan used to scare me with stories of kappa and other monsters. She used to have a huge ornate cabinet filled with demon and Buddha masks all carved by family long ago. Pic related, not my family's carving but similar style although shitty by comparison.
>>
Native Americans. Chimeras, Skinwalkers and Wendigos are some interesting things. I'd love to hunt cryptids in NA, specifically TX.
>>
>>18634169
Generally European and Asian.
>>
>>18635033
In Sweden we have the Nattmara (Nightmare), Näcken (A naked handsome man playing the violin in the river and luring down people there then drowning them), and my favourite Kyrkogårdsgrimmen (An animal buried alive usually bull or boar under a church to rise from the ground and kill people who want to hurt or damage the church and graveyard).
>>
>>18635113
Those sound awesome, especially the Kyrkogårdsgrimmen. I live in California, the Bay Area. Our local spoops are the Fresno nightcrawlers, the kids at gravity hill that push your car up the hill and the White Witch (two spooks have the same name at the same spot, they both show up as glowing white spirit women). There's also supposed to be a native burial ground nearby.
>>
>>18635113
Info in nattmara?
>>
>>18635268

This one reads slightly differently from the Swedish version I am used to but should be similar enough:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mare_(folklore)

>>18635181

More about the grim:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_grim
>>
>>18635322
Pretty cool. Wish my grandma had taught me more about our old traditions.
>>
File: storsjodjuret.png (219KB, 620x373px) Image search: [Google]
storsjodjuret.png
219KB, 620x373px
Any good seamonster / seacreature myths?
In Sweden we have the Storsjöodjuret (Great lake monster) which is a water dragon with big scales on it's back.
Pic related.
>>
Native 'Merican and Celtic stuff are the best. They came up with (or know of, depending on how you see it) stuff that is just damn scary.

Norse/Germanic stuff is cool, but usually not as scary. Asian stuff is more odd. Middle Eastern stuff is meh.
>>
>>18638601
Native American legends always creeped me out
>>
>>18639276
Yeah. It is all usually pretty surreal. Like the Raven-Mocker.

And if you count in Aztec/Mayan stuff...holy shit dude.
>>
Northern Swede here. I always loved the Vittra who is a Wight, kind of.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vittra_(folklore)
>>
File: cover.jpg (117KB, 900x1285px) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
117KB, 900x1285px
>>18635015

They have the weirdest fucking monsters in all of Earth's mythologies. Look into the Yokai sometime.
>>
>>18635181
Gravity hill in Petaluma?
>>
>>18641260
Antioch. There's a lot of gravity hills everywhere.
>>
File: Kappa.jpg (224KB, 777x1027px) Image search: [Google]
Kappa.jpg
224KB, 777x1027px
>>18640840

I like the turtle man with the bowl of water attached to his head. At first he tries to get you, but all you gotta do is bow and he respectfully bows in response and spills his head bowl water which paralyzes him. What a baka.
>>
We have these tales of things that look like people ad will kill you and take parts of your body and your stuff to sell to each other when you fit certain criteria. Not really much you can do to stop that except hiding and not getting caught, ever.
You can recognize them rather easily, they make erratic movments with one arm, like halfway to waving, and the other arm has a blood-red mark.
If you're not one of the people they marked for death but still get noticed, they will capture you and drag you to their mother-like figure, which will turn you into one of them by sheer power of voice and words.
The only way to avoid this fate, unless you're on their list of people that mustn't get away, is to ignore them completely unless they directly try to contact you, in which case you need to be completely obedient to their commands, usually helping them to track down any who did not obey previously.

[spoiler]They're called Nazi in my home country Germany [/spoiler]
>>
File: c8ac84c4e0-1486674523306.jpg (20KB, 500x514px) Image search: [Google]
c8ac84c4e0-1486674523306.jpg
20KB, 500x514px
>>18642185
Haven't seen one since 1945
>>
>>18642185
>We have these tales of things that look like people ad will kill you and take parts of your body and your stuff to sell to each other
Those are just mexicans or turks
>>
>>18642185
Funny. We call them New Black Panthers and/or "BLM" here.
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.