[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm not sure this is the place to talk about this but I'd

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 9

File: Santa.jpg (102KB, 564x761px) Image search: [Google]
Santa.jpg
102KB, 564x761px
I'm not sure this is the place to talk about this but I'd like some discussion about backwater, isolated communities and I feel like it'll get more interesting replies here

I remember one thing I read about on another board, months ago. A community in the US that decided to go live in the mountains and never came back, barely had any contact with society and that still exists to this day but I can't remember their name and can't find anything on google

I find the idea of a group of super-secretive people living outside of society by choice and not by birth fascinating so any and all examples would be appreciated, even folklore and tales
>>
>>18596131
Bump. This is indeed relevant to my interests
>>
>>18596131
>>18596213
I too am interested in contributing nothing.
>>
>>18596131
What you are describing sounds like the Melungeons, but they are not still isolated.
Melungeons are tri-ratial Appalachians that did at one time live in very isolated areas.
They are any mix of AmerIndian, AfroAmerican, Puertogese, Turkish, Spanish, and ScotIrish.
They have a very specific set of physical genetic traits that are indicitave of being Melungeon.
Shovel backed incisors, skin folds on the back of the head, usually black hair and blue eyes just to name a few.
Melungeons are not inbreeders.
They had a wide range of genetic pools they sourced from.
My late husband was Melungeon.
His family is ScotIrish, Cherokee, Alabamu, BlackIrish (a term used to cover some other ethnicity other than white around the turn of the 20th century - often a cover for mixed race AmerIndian or AfroAmerican.)
TL;DR You talking bout Melungeons?
Pic related, Melungeon man
>>
>>18596243
If I knew where to look I wouldn't have made a thread

And I'm still searching so I'll contribute if I can but I won't wait until I find what I'm looking for to ask for it

>>18596292
I'm not sure that was it but I'm gonna look into it

At any rate this is very interesting and I'll read more about it, thanks a lot
>>
>>18596306
Look in your mother's vagina. I left an isolated community of sperm in there last night.
>>
>>18596306
Its all good.
There are slme other similar Appalacian groups but Melungeons are one of the most widely known, I think.
Stories about old Appalachian witch grannies in the porch rocking chair, chewing tobacco and weaving curses....probably Melungeon.
>>
>>18596328
Melungeons are indeed quite close to what I seem to remember and the Appalachians in general ring a bell so that might very well be what I read about and misremembered the "still isolated" bit

I'm gonna keep looking though

As for the general topic I found this about a family which had blue skin because of a rare genetic condition and inbreeding. Again people from the Appalachians

https://owlcation.com/humanities/Blue-People-in-Kentucky-A-True-Story-of-a-Family-with-Blue-Skin

That's the kind of peculiar consequences of isolation I'm fond of. I'm gonna dig the Appalachians source, seems promising
>>
This isn't spoppy, but the town of Leith in ND was so small a bunch of white supremacists were able to usurp control of their city council simply by moving in. There is (was?) a documentary about it on Netflix called Welcome to Leith.
>>
Found it, it's actually the Ramapough mountain people and all the stuff I read about was in fact folktales and legends from the 19th century/early 20th century. The actual people merely describe themselves as Native Americans

If anyone's interested

http://weirdnj.com/stories/fabled-people-and-places/jackson-whites/
>>
>>18596292
>Puertogese
What does Puertogese mean???
>>
Half of my family is from West Virginia. I don't know what it is about that place but they all have mental disorders, alcoholism and general bad vibes.

I read somewhere that Native Americans avoided most of the area inside West Virginia. It was used as a hunting ground but considered a forbidden place to live. Wish I had more info...

Charles Manson always struck me as the living spirit of Appalachia. He was raised in the Kentucky mountains...
>>
>>18596731
It means I misspelled Portugese.
Whats your point, smart ass?
>>
File: Chicken Foot Protection.jpg (25KB, 240x320px) Image search: [Google]
Chicken Foot Protection.jpg
25KB, 240x320px
>>18596745
The info about Amerindians avoinding West Virginia is from John Keels Mothman Prophecies.
Its a classic - I would recommend it to anyone.
One of the few books that really gave me the heebie jeebies.
I wasnt right in the head, and really paranoid, for about a week after the first time I read it.
>>
>>18596292
wasn't Abe Lincoln Melungeon?
>>
File: 18055686912.jpg (67KB, 480x400px) Image search: [Google]
18055686912.jpg
67KB, 480x400px
>>18597056
He was, apparently.
>>
>>18597038
I dont think he was being a smartass
>>
>>18597121
Yeah all the names sounded strange I was confused too.

Don't be mean palosenpai.
>>
>>18596745
Manson lived in Ashland, Ky. It's technically in the mountains, but it's pretty urban desu. I doubt he was ever running around kudzu patches if you catch my drift.
>>
I met a guy in northern Maine who lived isolated in the woods. Except for his coon cats. I had a job with him cutting fire wood.

A really strange, anxious fellow, but he knew the area like the back of his hand.
>>
>>18596731
>>18597121
>>18597137
Hm.
Ok. Rock on.

Some post Caucasian genetics in my husbands family.
His great grandfather and grandfather are in this pic.

Need to keep spirits out of your house, paint your porch and steps blue.

Need to smudge a house, use a turkey feather fan to direct the smoke where you want it to.
>>
>>18596131

Umm NewRiver Tennessee, those mother fuckers have no running water but from streams. They use generators etc and theres one general store there. Its a one road town and SUPER fucking racist. Like if your not white its not all right. They're real backwoods and its fuckin weird.
>>
>>18596328
What information do you have on Appalachian witches?
I strongly believe my mother's side of the family was cursed. Everyone before her lived and died in a small, isolated town in WV, all under depressing circumstances. She is heading down that road herself.
She told me that my ancestors were all drunken, incestual hillbillies so it isn't unlikely one of them angered the wrong person at some point down the line.
I'll spare the details that led me to this conclusion, but I'd really like to know more. Not finding any good info with google
>>
>>18596131
There are plenty of examples of these; simply Google intentional communities in your area, and you'll probably be surprised how many there are. Where I live, communal living is relatively common, mainly in semi society; ie communal houses, and not far north in the more rural area are some pretty hardcore off grid groups. Hard to get into once they're established, but it seems like something is always forming.
>>
I'm from one of the most isolated places in the lower 48.

We had people living off grid, people growing weed, and some satanist/pagan cults. A nudst colony too.

Nothing super weird besides that, no violent crime. Everybody knows each other and gossips way too much. Tons of desolate untouched forest to explore too.

I found a dead bird and some candles on top of a stone pillar in the woods. That was weird.

Tourists have been found dead in the woods a couple times. They were all really bizarre suicide cases that did not look like suicide at all though.

We've also found abandoned shacks in the middle of no where that were growing pot and stuff like that.
>>
File: thanks anon.jpg (54KB, 402x391px) Image search: [Google]
thanks anon.jpg
54KB, 402x391px
>>18596327
>>
>>18596745
I was born and raised in West Virginia. In a little town called New Martinsville. I've been to a place called Littleton though where I stayed for a short while, and it was very secluded. The whole place only had one convenience store and that was it. Had to go all the way to the next town even to find a gas station.
>>
>>18597237
Get some running water and electricity and I call that utopia
>>
>>18597408
Name of town?
>>
>>18597408
What town are you talking about?
>>
This all sounds like appalachian types. Living in deep woods, very isolated, snake handling, farmer types.

Shelby Lee Adams the photographer has a documentary on it called The True Meaning of Pictures. Might be a good start.
>>
>>18596131
Like Sawney Bean? Most likely folkloric, but it's a pretty cool story still.
>>
>>18597422
>>18597769
from what general area/state are you guys? i kinda want to visit.
>>
>>18598298
East Tennessee.
Staying in North GA for a time now, right over the state line.
No fucks are given on my part if you know that.
I mean honestly, whats someone gonna do...try to dox or locate me and find out everything I tell them is TRUE. Pffft.

>>18597408
Im an App. "Witch" of a different variety. Instead of using the bible versus, I work with sticks, blood, bones, and feathers.
>>18597769
Sounds like the small ass town I grew up in.
Ran the fuck away when I turned 18.
Traveled around.
Ended up in the small ass city about 25 miles away.
Go figure.
(Im a little jaded; pardon the cynicism).

>>18597918
Honestly, never seen snake handling.
I grew up Presbyterian, theyre more sombre.
Snake handling is more of a Georgia phenomenon than a Tenessee, Carolinas, Virginias, Kentucky phenonmenon.
Honestly, the bulk of the snake handlers are in Georgia.

Farmer types, in the mountains...sort of.
Most of them these days couldnt grow curly-dock if they tried.
The Caucasian families have lost all the old ways for the most part.
In the valleys, not really that many.
More /k/ and /pol/ types in the valleys.
They own a lot of land, maybe if they are lucky.
But, theres more junk cars growing than soybean.
Im lucky, I own a house in a pocket multi-ethnic community in a valley.
It has its own type of racism, I suppose.

Husband was grandson of a coal miner from the mountain.
He made it a point to learn all the old ways.
It was very important to him, and its very important to me too.
I still darn socks, hand wash laundry in a tub when I have time and line dry it, plow up my yard to plant a garden, eat wild blackberries when Im hiking in the brush, and hang an iron horseshoe over my door.

Theres lots of wild game near my house because the city cant be bothered to clean up or pave the roads where black people live.
We frequently see coyotes, foxes, oppossums, raccoons, rabbits, vultures, owls, hawks, to name the ones Ive seen the most frequently.
>>
>>18597955
That's be Scotland. Never heard stories of cannibal clans in the US.
>>
>>18596292
>My late husband was Melungeon.
When did he pass away?
>>
>>18599492
December this past year.
>>
>>18599530
My condolences.
His name would happen to be Letcher, would it? Just curious.
>>
>>18599556
Nope.
Sorry.
>>
>>18599572
Ah okay, my bad. I thought I was talking to my 54 year old aunt on 4chan, for a sec there.
>>
Not sure if this is what you're looking for, but in terms of "separated" rustic communities, I saw an anon post about a place near him called "Monkey Mountain." Poor rural trailer park type area with a bad reputation among locals. Searching it, http://www.topix.com/forum/city/potosi-mo/TJFVER5LVCLHJ0MVI is the most detailed info I can find on it. Just seems like an interesting little place full of forgotten people.
>>
>>18597056
No. This is a myth.
>>
Maybe it's not really what you're looking for but small town midwestern communities seem to come in only two flavors: Super friendly and ready to make a stranger dinner and as standoffish as fucking possible. For a short while me and my family used to live on a small acreage just about a mile outside a town with a population of about 200, and it was fucking weird. Shortly after moving we thought we'd try and get to know our neighbors and had breakfast at the one diner in the town and I swear to god the whole fucking place stared at us awkwardly the entire time we were there and we pretty much never went back into that town again.

There was another acreage across the highway from us, I have no idea who lived there but one day a dead dog showed up on their property and they left it there until it rotted to bones which put me off of any interest in getting to know them. We found a deer corpse out by a creek on out property too, which was a bit odd since we were surrounded by crops and shit, but that could have been my step dad's work.

Nothing proper /x/ but the community kept to themselves and it was close enough to Rulo for me to know to mind my own business.
>>
>>18596292

This is quite interesting and the first I've heard about this. My family comes from very rural Appalachia and only until recently did I leave the place.

People here always have a difficult time guessing my "ethnicity". My hair is pitch black like coal. I have very blue eyes, am very hairy, naturally pale as fuck but can tan very easily, and I have the skin folds and shoveled incisors
>>
it's real bro
Thread posts: 45
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.