[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

This might be more /sci/ or even /fit/ related, but what does

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 69
Thread images: 6

File: nI9j_hwB_400x400.jpg (24KB, 300x300px) Image search: [Google]
nI9j_hwB_400x400.jpg
24KB, 300x300px
This might be more /sci/ or even /fit/ related, but what does /x/ think of the Wim Hof method?

Basically, it's where you tap into your body's autonomic systems through meditation and breathing and control them for your benefit. In a scientifically verified environment, Wim Hof has been able to hold his breath for over eight minutes, he hiked up Everest in his underwear, he ran a marathon in the desert without hydration, and is able to maintain a high core body temperature and meditate in the snow and melt a ring around him.

He says it's not magic, it's just concentration and unlocking the evolutionary programming we've had dormant for 200k years.

Pretty crazy. Just Google for more detail. Thoughts?
>>
what is tummo
>>
>>18548661
He's forcing people to understand we have control overnour energybby proving it is nothing special. Doing things that would kill a good 70 to 90% of people. And all through active control over his bodlily systems. Its not magick persay but to most it will seem like it
>>
>>18548661

He probably has alot of "old gene's" that where usefull in the past (late ice-age), but the majority of people have re-placed with other's over a period of 10's of thousands of years. He probably been lucky with his forebears, not mixing with other culture's/race's than his own kind.
>>
He is a mutant, other people aren't going to be able to replicate what he does any more than you can sing like freddie mercury.
>>
>>18548687
>persay
>>
>>18548710
Dude looks like a Neanderthal.
>>
File: Will_A._Zeppeli_Anime.jpg (31KB, 262x335px) Image search: [Google]
Will_A._Zeppeli_Anime.jpg
31KB, 262x335px
>>18548661
Sounds like Hamon
>>
>>18548680

This.

Tummo is pretty common during sitting meditation. You obviously just feel a taste of it, not the ice melting internal heat.
>>
what, no sceptics here?
>>
>>18548661
I've practiced the method for several months. It's basically physical training focused on your circulatory system and speeding up your metabolism to generate more heat. Nothing paranormal or magical about it

tl;dr : Put yourself in harsh conditions and you will grow accustomed to it over time
>>
>>18549068
Not worth my time, desu. Only skeptic to threads that are within my realm of knowledge and experience.
>>
You should check these out,
This is a VICE video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VaMjhwFE1Zw

This one is The Joe Rogan Experience interview with Wim Hof

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Np0jGp6442A

He beats a virus with his method/ He teaches others, and they can replicate the results, all under the supervision of doctors and scientist.
>>
Proud of your boi.
>>
Before I dip into the thread I'll say I watched a Vice docu with him. Typical Vice, the vlogger does/lives/isexposedtoo the whole thing. I went in skeptical, dictionary-style. I came out with questions. Lots of them. There's something to what he's on about.
>>
That guy must eat like a horse when he's doing the cold weather shit. The calories he's throwing out keeping warm must be huge.
>>
You can learn how to slow down or speed up your pulse while sitting still, in less than a week.

Untapped potential it's an understament.
>>
>>18548661
I think he's a great man. Basically half of his method is simply building up body resistance and adaptation skills, nothing paranormal here. The second part is, that he claim his method can heal both body and mind. I believe that.
I do his exercises from time to time, it's kinda hard to get used to, but if you do it right you will became like him.

>>18549068
Sceptic of what? His method was proven to work on other people. Just watch the VICE documentary.
>>
>>18549109
It's not like he's doing it every day.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (322KB, 1451x742px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
322KB, 1451x742px
>>
>>18549109
He doesn't do it everyday or for long periods of time, he acclimates his metabolism beforehand through training, and he has a vastly higher percentage of brown fat than most people.

He's genetically inclined towards his method already due to metabolic rate, absorption rate, and the previously mentioned brown fat. Which is why his method works so well for him.

About 90% of the population can't do his method properly because of this and out of the 10% that can its estimated only 1% of that group is as capable of it as he is.

Tl;dr throwback genes enable him to do this and only 0.01% of the human population can possibly do this to the degree he can because of this.
>>
>>18549172
>muh genes

lazy fat ass detected

Everyone who isn't permanently ill or damaged can do what he does, with proper training.
>>
>>18549190
It actually is proven to be heavily due to his genes.
Scientific studies and testing back this up.

He has a much higher percentage of brown fat which is much more insulating and resource rich than white fat. It also is the fat responsible for turning calories into heat under cold conditions so having more brown fat than 99.99% of the population is helpful.
He also has a naturally higher metabolic rate and absorption rate meaning he gets more calories from his food and also burns more calories naturally(probably due to the brown fat percentage he has).

Basically he already has a much much higher inclination to water storage and heat production and his method lets him augment the latter.

While everyone could theoretically learn his method they won't be as proficient at simply because they don't have the helpful genes he and about 0.01% of the population has.
>>
>>18549208
Link to study?
>>
>>18549228
They're in scientific papers in the various journals for those that focus solely on his genetic advantage but this one
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4034215/
Goes into a broad stroke view of it all.
>>
>>18549208
But every genetic variety has it's own advantages, that could be taken to the extremes.

We all have the inclination to some kind of superpower, we just don't understand enough about the potential that our particular set of genes has.
>>
>>18549242
>In conclusion, the present proof-of-principle study demonstrates that the sympathetic nervous system and immune system can be voluntarily influenced through practicing techniques that are relatively easy to learn within a short time frame.

I don't see nothing about genetics. He trained bunch of people and proved himself right.
>>
>>18549257
No and yes.

Everyone has a varied genetic makeup, its how species function, but a blanket statement claiming everyone has a strictly beneficial makeup or a makeup that precludes them heavily to something akin to superpowers is patently false.

Theres plenty of baseliners for genetic makeup that have no strong leaning towards anything you'd call superpowers or even above average in any category. The vast majority of humanity sits in this range.

Wim Hof has all these advantages to what he does but in warmer climes he'd have to intake more water just to survive. He also has a genetic proclivity towards heart disease. The leanings towards heart disease appear separate towards his increase in brown fat tissue.
But not everyone who has the same advantages he does will have that same leaning towards heart disease or maybe they'll be prone towards many more negative or positive genes and outcomes simply by the luck of the draw.

The sad truth is genetically speaking the vast majority of us aren't that special. Maybe you'll have perfect eyesight but you and your kids probably have a higher chance at kidney disease or arthitis and maybe your friend will have his hair into his 80's but he'll also have cataracts at 70.
Depending on your definition of "super power" almost all of us could be the equivalent of genetic lottery losers or winners.
>>
>>18549267
I admitted that is the broad stroke explanation of what he does.
I also said the focus of his genetics and advantages are in published scientific papers in various journals and the like which i personally won't go hunting down as thats hours of reading to find the exact ones that go in-depth on this particular area.

However you can easily google this yourself if you wish to do that sort of leg work.
>>
>>18549320
I googled Wim Hof months ago. I practised his method. And I know you are full of shit.

The study you linked was his effort to prove that what he can do anybody can do. This is his focus now. Watch the VICE documentary and then tell me that all those people are lucky 0.01%.
>>
>>18549329
Woah. Back up a few posts.
I DID say anybody can use his methods but not to the extent he can.
Such as his attempt at everest that was stopped by an injury. If others try this and don't have his advantages they'd have a much harder time.

I never onced claimed they couldn't learn or use the method.
>>
>>18549312
>but in warmer climes he'd have to intake more water just to survive.
Source? You're talking out of your ass.

He did a marathon in the Namib desert at 100 degrees with NO water.

Why are you so desperate to discredit his accomplishments? Skeptics are grinches who are afraid to have faith in anything wonderful or beautiful.
>>
>>18549312
Not in the sense that you will born with it.

But in training our genetic makeup has perks that can be exploited.

Races from cold places can train their cold resistance to above average results, same cultures that lived near the ocean and swimmed a lot, or sun resistance, or concentration that's one who gets a lot of use and people don't realize how it's genetically influenced.

Obviously genetics traits are influenced by nature's trial and error, and we evolved specific traits for a reason.
>>
>>18549345
He also hyper-saturated himself before hand and his absorption rate, as mentioned earlier, is higher than average.
He also has a higher BMI for his height and musclemass which is indicative of high fat tissue in his body, before you go off on wild speculation again i'm not claiming him to be obese but its higher than the average just so, which means he retains more water than the average person as well. Using his method he can and does slow or speed up his metabolic process and internal temperatures so slowing water loss ontop of the advantages above would give him a leg up compared to those that don't.
>>
>>18549380
lol are you 12?

you talk like an "enlightened" high school kid

there was no wild speculation, you're being a wet blanket. his method works. his genetic advantages don't discredit the method.

>UM AKSHUALLY

fuck off nerd
>>
File: G70424_RGB_4136-400x300.jpg (21KB, 400x300px) Image search: [Google]
G70424_RGB_4136-400x300.jpg
21KB, 400x300px
>>18549344
>While everyone could theoretically learn his method they won't be as proficient at simply because they don't have the helpful genes he and about 0.01% of the population has.

That's like saying you can't be like Arnold Schwarzenegger because of genetics. Of course you can't, he has genetics and life-time dedicated to his cause. But if you train like him you can get very close.

Even if you are right (I think not), his method has been proven to work with other people. In VICE documentary he trains bunch of nu-males in few days to climb a icy mountain in their underwear. Genetics has little to no effect here.
>>
>>18549384
I never claimed his genetic advantages disproved the method either. Not once.

Just that he is naturally well suited to it and thus has an easier time doing what he does than those that aren't. We've already been over that he's proven that he can teach others to do the same bodily processes.
>>
>>18549384
We won't know, unless we try it on people that are genetically bad at cold.
>>
>>18549391
>If it doesn't work with people living in desert it will not work with people living in Europe

makes sense
>>
>>18549398
Some deserts get literally freezing cold at night.
>>
>>18549405
So what people are genetically bad at cold?
>>
>>18549407
Desert people, we just sleep with more blankets.
>>
>>18549409
And you think people in Scandinavia are sleeping on ice?
>>
File: norwegian-epic-ice-bar.jpg (84KB, 630x420px) Image search: [Google]
norwegian-epic-ice-bar.jpg
84KB, 630x420px
>>18549416
They seem rather comfortable on the ice, I've never seen this much ice, let alone be comfortable in it.
>>
>>18549424
If you grew up there it would be normal for you too.
>>
>>18549427
There's an stocked genetic capacity derived of the number of generations your blood it's been exposed to the cold.

It's not just, let's all go in our underwear to the Everest¡¡
>>
>>18549443
Eh, I don't believe that.

Intense training>genetics.
>>
>>18549320
After reading on this extensively, I've seen multiple studies showing exposure to cold to have a correlation with increased brown fat tissue.
>>
>>18549513
10000 hour training is a well known sports rule.
>>
>>18549522
Yes I have heard it too.
However it refers to a top-tier skill level.
>>
>>18549516
No. You're close though.

As you get older brown fat starts to act more closely to white fat as it loses its mitochondria density. However, growing up in a cold enviroment or living in one for long periods of time can stave this off allow the mitochondria to stay metabolically active and produce heat through nonshivering thermogenesis.

Being exposed to cold does not grow more brown fat.
>>
>>18549545
Oh. And as someone above mentioned. Epigenetics are a thing.

If you and your wife grew up in a cold enviroment your tendencies towards high function brown fat would carry over genetically to your children who will naturallt have higher levels of high function brown fat and so will his kids so long as he stays in a cold enviroment.

This could explain wim hof's naturally high amount of brown fat.
>>
Nothing special, he is a guy with good genes for metabolism (heat production) and calorie absorbing. He then uses meditation to speed up or slow down his metabolism when it is convenient, which anyone can easily do
>>
>>18548712
But they do.
>>
>>18549545
>>18549550
The first post is what people used to think (sort of) and what Hof challenges. It used to be thought we only had brown fat as babby because smaller bodies can't regulate temperature so much, but in fact we have brown fat into adulthood and it can increase with cold exposure.

The second post about inheritence and epigenetics is a pile of unscientific shit though.
>>
File: 1425946456283.jpg (65KB, 566x480px) Image search: [Google]
1425946456283.jpg
65KB, 566x480px
it's hyperventilating leading to hypocapnia which can cause fainting, brain damage and possibly entering a coma
>>
>>18548661

The explanation doesn't matter, whether it's scientific or occult. Eventually one realizes the triviality of the spoken word; language is a system destined to fail. At its best, it can vaguely communicate ideas -- but never entirely. Much of the language we use is based on completely dissimilar experiences, and the purpose of a word is to put a title to a certain experience. "Stop sign", for example, is meant to refer to that red octagon with "STOP" written on it -- but none of us have any experience of one. The organs of perception differ wildly between individuals, and thusly even two people staring at the same stop sign will have different conceptions of it.
Thusly the explanation attributed to things such as Tummo is a practice itself doomed to failure, as there is no shared experience which you, I, or Hof can refer to. Instead, it is the results which matter. Whether those results are observable by all or only by the self doesn't matter, so long as they are observed by the self. Even if everyone were to see the same "magic" ability, the individual experience necessitates that we are completely incapable of communicating anything about it accurately.
>>
>>18549725
Woah. You're thinking of white fat browning which IS a thing. Its not brown fat persay but it exists as small nodules of white fat cells who's mitochondrial density increases and sees more capillary action for oxygenation.
Actual brown fat, the fat you mentioned infants that stays with us into adulthood, actually comes from delineated muscle tissues in-utero and can not be actively gained, it can only be preserved.
Ontp of that the second post is also a real genuine thing and happens all the time. Its called epigenetics https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Epigenetics and has been known about for years.
>>
>>18550008
Most epigenetics is not passed on, and often if it is the link between the response and the stimulus is somewhat tenuous, e.g. famine causing an increase in diabetes in later generations, or plants growing spindly after reproducing in high stress environments. There is no reason to think that cold climates will lead to offspring that produce more brown fat through this mechanism.

>Woah. You're thinking of white fat browning which IS a thing.
No. It appears that BAT can grow, this is different to beiging. I suspect you're misreading/misunderstanding some studies.
>>
>>18550051
Are you sure you're not thinking of beiging adipocytes?
The only thing i'm seeing is stimulation can increase mitochondrial and capillary density in actual BAT and that actual GROWTH of "classical" BAT is called Hibernoma, which is a benign BAT based tumor, or that we've managed to make a drug in mice that stimulates BAT growth in mice but isn't applicable to humans.
>>
>>18550090
No, you're confusing growth of a tumor with that being the only possible growth.

You find in fat both brown and white fat. White fat can beige which is acting like brown fat with increased capillary density, lipid droplet structure, protein expression etc but this is reversible. However BAT has been found in cold exposed people to increase by modes other than tumor.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2859951/
Is probs the most straightforward one.

Not all of this is by any means 100% certain but that's biology for you, very slow moving and cautious. This is also compounded by it being a human specific thing making testing a pita. But it would appear that brown fat can grow given the proper physiological responses. It's just real hard to get it to grow pharmacologically (with pills), while beiging would seem to happen if you take in the right kind of vitamin A (e.g. fucoxanthin) for a couple of months.
>>
>>18548661
Its probably an acquired ability he developed during his childhood/adolescence the problem is that when he says something people won't know what he is talking about cause he can probably feel something other people don't realize they do every day
>>
>>18550008
>persay
>>
>>18549390

Then whats the point of even arguing the fact he has a genetic advantage if the point of the thread is there is more to it than genetics? I hate people like you so fucking annoying. MUHHH I WANNA ARGUE AND BE RIGHT ALL THE TIME
>>
>>18549070
Regardless, physically the human body can't generate enough heat to keep its temperature in subzero.
>>
>>18552153
Apparently it can.

>>18549380
>He also has a higher BMI for his height and musclemass
BMI doesn't measure muscle mass specifically, and already incorporates height so you don't really have high or low for a specific height. If you mean he has a high BMI for his size that can indicate more muscle in his body composition since muscle is denser than fat.
>>
I think that's pretty believable, when I'm walking outside in cold time, I start thinking about how I would act If I were in a fight, after around 10 min I feel like my arms become hot( the same if I haven't been outside)
>>
>>18552153

Well it can't in the long run, but you can train your body to withstand it for a longer periods of time.

Wim can stand neck-deep in ice for 2 hours and have no damage, while normal person would die of hypothermia after 20-30 minutes in this conditions. But could he stand in there for 5 or 10 hours? probably not.

Pretty much the same thing as marathon running. You can train your body to run for 10 or 15 miles without stopping, but can you run indefinitely? No.
>>
>>18549208

This guy had also been practicing for decades. Isn't it possible that he developed the brown adipose constantly exposing himself to the elements? Or that his body has changed as a result of his training?

I follow the Wim Hof Facebook group and a lot of people are doing this method, he also teaches people to do this.
Thread posts: 69
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.