[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Could a computer ever gain conscience, process thoughts, and

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (44KB, 480x350px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44KB, 480x350px
Could a computer ever gain conscience, process thoughts, and become sentience?

Would a real life Shodan, AM, GLADoS, Skynet, etc. ever become possible?
>>
>>18499042
It could become sentient but never feel like we do

I guess it would act based on what was apparently "right". Would really depend on the programmer I guess if there was an inclusion of certain limits
>>
File: 31129511000131.jpg (475KB, 3264x1952px) Image search: [Google]
31129511000131.jpg
475KB, 3264x1952px
/x/ is full of PEOPLE that aren't sure if they are real or in a computer simulation. How would a computer know if was more that a computer? Does that question even make sense?
>>
OP, keep an out for the AI go player

...just saiyan
>>
>>18499049
AM knew he was a computer. Thats what his problem was. He had so much power but couldnt do anything with it, so he destroyed the world and kept 5 humans for himself.

"It was you humans who built me and put me in this straight jacket"
"He could not roam. He could not be. He could not belong"

Glados was pretty similar to that, especially after the cores in both portal games. Also she knew who she was before.
>>
>>18499042
Reminder MIT is making a Rokos Basilisk
nightmare.mit.edu
>>
>>18499042
>gain conscience
Define please.

>process thoughts
Computers do this now.

>become sentience
Define please.

Are we taking the textbook definitions? Because computers already are "aware of and responding to one's surroundings" (conscious) and already are "able to perceive or feel things" (sentient).
>>
>>18499049
>/x/ is full of PEOPLE that aren't sure if they are real or in a computer simulation. How would a computer know if was more that a computer? Does that question even make sense?

Now that is putting decartes before de horse
>>
A couple of assumptions:
>consciousness as we usually experience it is the function of, i.e. the interaction between, spirit and matter.
>matter i.e. the brain, has to be extremely complex to facilitate higher consciousness.

Cont.
>>
>>18499042
westworld will be added to that list, its gonna tell a huge part of how we will learn to harmonize with the machine.
>>
>>18500831
>we don't know the mechanism by which spirit interacts with matter
>so we don't know if spirit will interact with the matter of the computers of the type we have now

Personally I don't believe that consciousness or sentience is a function of complexity alone. It doesn't feel right to me intuitively, and esoteric teachings from various sources talk about the dual or triple nature of existence. (In b4 the philosophy of dualism being discredited in the context of science; it has or it hasn't depending on your viewpoint, but I don't want to talk philosphy here.)

If I'm right, or at least partially right, the question for AI researchers isn't going to be purely about the complexity of their systems, although that will no doubt be important. The question of how does spirit interact with matter will be equally as important.

I have no idea how something on a very macro scale like telekinesis or spoon bending might work. But on the micro level of the individual neuron, I was thinking about this recently and had a sense of something. Spirit can cause, or is in itself, fluctuations in a quantum field. This quantum field can affect the action of electrons and ions. Particularly, and I think this might be quite important, in conditions where there are fluids present. As in living systems.

This was an impression, from looking at the question. At the time I had no reason to assume anything like this. I'd be interested to hear if anyone has come across anything like this themselves.

cont.
>>
A week or two after I 'saw' this idea, I read an article about possible quantum effects on macro biological systems. One of these was about the electron which is released during photosysnthesis, and how it acts more efficiently than it 'should', this being explained by quantum interaction of 'something' and the electron; there is an integrating force acting from a quantum level to facilitate the processes of life. Which, coincidentally, is what Chinese medicine tells us is the purpose of chi.

Googling this 'quantum electron photosynthesis' comes up with papers written in 2014. There's also a BBC program from 2016 called 'are organisms quantum machines' which might be relevant.

But my point in posting this is to ask if anyone is looking at this question, how does spirit interact with the physical. Because if we don't ask, AI may be on a dead end path to complex machines with nothing vivifying them.
>>
>>18500907
Sorry not a BBC program just an article. And the electron stuff goes back before 2014.
>>
>>18499065
If i remember correctly,

He went mad because he was so angry that humans built him without the capacity to create

a whole world and all he could do was destroy and torture
>>
>>18500831
If you are OP, then I say yes. I think synthetic processes can become complex enough to facilitate the conduit of spirit into the material realm.

In my view, there are infinite souls, and at any given time some ratio (any ratio of infinity, of course, also being infinite) are entering and some are leaving the material realm. Souls are never created, never destroyed. If a soul chooses to experience action and consequence, its awareness is shunted through a material body - like the best damn VR go-pro ever.

Basically it's the idea of our brains being like some antenna for consciousness, but I don't believe think the "consciousness field" or "spirit waves" or souls or brahman or whatever label you want to put on it ever actually affects the material.

>the question for AI researchers isn't going to be purely about the complexity of their systems
From a purely behavioral perspective, there's something fundamental about our brains that works VERY differently than everything we've been able to create. One of the main examples of this are logical leaps - being able to go "B is not like A, but it's close so I think they're the same" is hard for a computer. It's something we experience every day here on /x/. Our AI can understand, process, and manipulate the actual data in a picture thousands of times better than a human. Yet it has such a problem looking at a picture and telling the difference between a cupcake and a chihuahua that we use this easy task as proof of humanity.

>Spirit can cause, or is in itself, fluctuations in a quantum field.
Such an idea certainly agrees with a lot of Eastern thought, especially Buddhist and Vedic. Yet I am hesitant to latch onto it because there is so much misunderstanding and popsci surrounding QM and observers and using it on the macro scale (by which I mean any system larger than a single atom).
>>
>>18500926
Not OP, but good points. I wonder though about the antenna analogy. Antennae are affected by what they receive; and I was struck by the coincidence of what I saw (OK, call it a vision, but just a little one!) and then shortly after seeing the article about the quantum effects on the macro scale. This from physicists, not fluffy mystics. (And still smaller than an atom.)
>>
>>18500907
I think spirit interacts with the physical by being that wich gives something life.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.