[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

There's lots of concepts that arise in many cultures that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 98
Thread images: 17

File: Odin.jpg (19KB, 220x323px) Image search: [Google]
Odin.jpg
19KB, 220x323px
There's lots of concepts that arise in many cultures that supposedly had no contact with each other, some of them are damn near universal, just a few off the top of my head.

>A global flood
>God's bringing humanity knowledge/laws
>Rulers being directly descended from said god's
>A "World Tree" that connects the the earth to other realms
>Various Realms above Earth and below, the ones below usually being more evil and the ones above usually being better
>Dragons
>Giants
>Non mythological bonus: Pyramids everywhere

How does someone who believes in mainstream historical narratives, no divine intervention no aliens explain all this?
>>
>>18478646
Easy. Everything in Europe and Asia is literally overflowing with Indoeuropean culture. They went virtually everywhere, except the americas.

What is much more interesting is what they actually knew, and how much of the original stuff we can gleam nowadays.
>>
>>18478653
>except the americas

Lots of this is there too though
>>
If you'd like a coherent ancient mythological explaination I would recommend looking into the divince council mythology of the ancient near east, specifically (perhaps surprisingly) ancient hebrew mythology.
http://www.thedivinecouncil.com/ has some introductory material.

It's hardly mainstream historical narrative, but it is legitimate research into the beliefs of the ancients.
>>
>>18478646
Seafaring Aryans set up civs all over the world, including pyramids. There's sunwheels everywhere, mentions of tall fair-skinned men with beards and light eyes, beast-taming reliefs, etc; they were called gods by the local wildlife. Their miscegenated offspring were called children of the gods, but were too retarded to run a civilisation so they all fell once the pure Aryans were outnumbered and killed off or fled away from the local savages.

For a modern example, see South Africa and Zimbabwe.

Most history has been either lost, purposely destroyed, or hidden. If modern humans are 200kya (if you include subsaharan Africans, who never even invented the wheel), then how can one believe they were retards who out of nowhere became smart and civilised and decided to start farming and shit after 190kya? After all, we haven't changed in 200ky, right?

There used to be megafauna throughout the world in touch with hominids, such as sabre-toothed cats in Americas and massive lizards in Australia. In the case of Australia, the abos habitually burned down forests to kill animals for food. The insane amount of soot that built up in the soil turned Australia into the desert that it now is.
>>
>>18478646
>A global flood
Global flood really did happen about 11-12k-ish years ago.

This is a bit harder to explain, but probably has to do with ancient polymaths being deified.

Same as above. But there's also the fact that this gives a dynasty perceived legitimacy, as with Japan. In places like Egypt it's a bit weirder, since it doesn't give credit to any dynasty in particular.

Alternatively, this could be some distant oral memory of a lost golden age when humans weren't complete shit.

>A "World Tree"
This is just a visual aid and mostly from PIE traditions. They're probably from the same source. There do seem to be a few non-PIE world trees though. So it could be something else.

>Various Realms above Earth and below
Darkness is seen as an enemy. It's dark in caves and underground. The sky is pretty and you can make out fantastic shapes in it. I think that's literally all this amounts to.

>Dragons
This one is REALLY hard to explain. Though it does seem that dragons are an almost exclusively old world phenomenon. As far as I can tell from archaeological evidence (for all that counts for), China seems to be the earliest source for dragons, but who knows?

>Giants
This one's mostly bullshit. Any tribe that encounters another tribe whose members are a few inches taller on average are probably going to remember them as "giants". A lot of myths about giants (a common one is that "giants" built X city or monument), we know for a fact are just made up bullshit to explain things that the current inhabitants couldn't otherwise grasp after the more advanced ancient locals' civilization collapsed.

>Pyramids
This one's probably the easiest to explain. Pyramids are simply artificial mounds or mountains. A pile of something is literally the most basic structure a human can build.
>>
>>18478667
Actually not much and a lot of it can be chalked up to christians poisoning and rewriting local culture. There are a few anomalies though, like the world tree on Pacal's tomb lid. There's a suspiciously christian flood myth version in Popul Vuh for example. I find it too close to the Mesopotamian version jews got theirs from to be coincidence.

>>18478766
>beast-taming reliefs
Elaborate. Give examples.
>>
File: 1481593619444.png (2MB, 1435x719px) Image search: [Google]
1481593619444.png
2MB, 1435x719px
>>18478646
Have you guys noticed any similarities? I've noticed a few but they are a little bit tinfoil.

The other week after reading a comment about someone comparing the Tibetan Book of the Dead to the Black Book from the Mummy, both are full of spells for the afterlife but otherwise look like jargon. Another connection I saw was Ragnarok and the Aztecs end of days prophesy is similar. A huge snake comes at the end of days and rustles peoples rhubarb.

Any information or connections would be appreciated x
>>
>>18478766
That long ass post and you can't find the time to type the word 'years'?
>>
>>18478845
It's interesting you say the snake thing specifically, because there are a number of "funny" Mesoamerican-Viking connections. Quetzalcoatl is almost always depicted as a white man with a full beard. There's also a VERY specific, though oddly so, element shared between Mesoamerica and the Norse: that dwarves held up the sky at its four corners. And knowing what we know about the sea-faring capabilities of the Norse, it could well be there was contact. It wouldn't even be that strange really.
>>
>>18478846
He's a professor he can't help it
>>
>>18478646
Maps of Meaning by Jordan Peterson.

http://jordanbpeterson.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/11/Peterson-JB-Maps-of-Meaning-Routledge-1999.pdf

Goes into a lot of detail about the similarities in archetypical stories across cultures, and how it relates to our neurology as humans.
>>
File: 0202180600_1024.jpg (80KB, 800x552px) Image search: [Google]
0202180600_1024.jpg
80KB, 800x552px
>>18478829
>beast-taming reliefs
Pictures of men holding animals outstretched in each arm. Pic related. It has to do with domestication and making nature polite (ie civilisation).

>>18478846
>long ass post
Are you fucking 12 and hate reading? It's standard nomenclature, sorry you wasted time on Candy Crush to Google its meaning.

>>18478858
Europoids were on North America 10-15ky before the orientals. They built Anasazi civ, Maya and Aztec civ, etc, then eventually got genocided and the "natives", as we today call them, ran the civilisations into the ground because they're too stupid to into civ. But you can still learn about who was there first in the injun's official history (history is oftentimes now called myth).
>>
File: IMG_20161113_105510.jpg (120KB, 519x1171px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161113_105510.jpg
120KB, 519x1171px
I'll just leave this here

Sunwheels, man. They show up all across the globe. Where is your ayy lmao, now?
>>
>>18478766
So fucking retarded
>>
File: IMG_20160610_221208.jpg (268KB, 943x1629px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160610_221208.jpg
268KB, 943x1629px
Oriental civ was founded by Aryans
>>
>>18478907
Explain what is incorrect, bitch.
>>
>>18478875
Oh those aren't "beast-taming" images. They're typically culture heroes/gods WRESTLING (to death) some mythical enemy creature (Hercules for example).

>Europoids were on North America 10-15ky before the orientals
Well nobody really knows how the peopling of the Americas actually went. Some remains date up to or beyond carbon dating methods (50k+) so it's hard to say who got where when. There are a lot of anomalies.

>They built Anasazi civ, Maya and Aztec civ,
Those are extremely recent cultures for Europeans to have built them (there MAY have been some Norse influence, as stated before, but it obviously wasn't heavy because the cultures are far too different). If you're arguing Europeans created any civilizations in the Americas, you're going to have to do one of two things: go back so far we have almost no records for them (and in which case any later civilizations would be HIGHLY derivative of, not directly related to) or point to isolated Norse populations like Vinland.

>then eventually got genocided
Actually, we're not sure what happened to them in most cases.

>they're too stupid to into civ
Tenochtitlan was larger than London when it was discovered by conquistadors and had better sanitation to boot. The only reason they were overthrown is because so insanely many people fucking HATED them for all their sacrifices that they formed an alliance against them with the arrival of the conquistadors as the spark that lit the barrel. The Aztecs literally had fucking hydroponics. Not to mention obsidian blades, which are so much sharper than steel that they're even used now in modern scalpels when incredibly delicate work is required.

>injun's official history (myth).
All myth needs to be both investigated and taken with a grain of salt. Some are flat-out history (global flood), but others are total bullshit (giants built everything we didn't). Most fall somewhere between.
>>
>>18478902
That's a stretch.

>>18478907
Actually, he's not entirely wrong, surprisingly. He's just jumping to too many certainties where there are a lot of questions.
>>
>>18478910
You wish
>>
>>18478910
Now we're getting into WE WUZ KINGS shit.
>>
>>18478917
Just wanna mention that standards of sanitation and sewage go up and down within the same population over long periods.
>>
>>18478933
True. But the claim that the Altaics simply can't into civ is false. If you went to Europe 30k bc you might say the same about them. But honestly, even the more primitive native tribes weren't that bad. I mean yeah they warred amongst themselves and did bad shit, but so do modern westerners.
>>
>>18478910

Kek. Thule Society got their field trip on to go uncover the mighty Aryans and found out they were nothing but mud hut dwelling morlocks. Actual information was suppressed and propaganda was distributed instead.
>>
>>18478923
Just my opinion. There's no way for anyone, at this time, to conclusively prove what happened long ago. For example, sculptures, reliefs, and writings are well known to be modified over time (for nefarious reasons or mere forgetfulness), or the attribution of who created it is changed.

Have you heard of Clovis culture? And how Clovis-like craftsmanship showed up in North America?

>>18478939
Up until extremely recently, most everyone was illiterate or semi-literate, because when you have to create your own existence through farming etc, there's not much time or care for intellectualism for the common man. There were even European populations who until fairly recently (less than a millenium ago) didn't create a written language.
>>
File: IMG_5324.jpg (63KB, 570x342px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5324.jpg
63KB, 570x342px
>>18478766
>see south Africa and Zimbabwe
Stopped reading there
>>
>>18478646
you forgot my favorite one. the great evil sealed away

in christianity lucifer is in a prison in revelations only to be released after the return of christ.

in buddhism (referencing tibetian buddhism specifically) there is a tale of a demon so powerful gods couldnt destroy him so all the holy men of earth prayed to seal him away.

in a sumerian religion azathoth (for the crowley fans(or alternate azagthoth) was the only evil god not slain he is the god of chaos and cannot be killed so he was cast into the abyss after being blinded by marduk

in all of them and a few others it is a powerful being that is locked away with the threat that one day it will emerge from its prison
>>
>>18479004

That's fairly neat info, thanks! Do you happen to have other examples similar to that? This subject is quite interesting.
>>
File: 1472085592281-pol.jpg (150KB, 716x2048px) Image search: [Google]
1472085592281-pol.jpg
150KB, 716x2048px
>>18479000
>Europeans come to wild land
>create modern civilisation
>locals breed out of control
>start genociding Europeans
>locals can't farm or run civilisation for shit
>shut out Europeans in legal discrimination
>locals start starving
>locals beg Europeans to do something
Riveting argument, chap! And really funny picture, I'm completely convinced!
>>
>>18479004
This is actually a good point and something I haven't thought of for a very long time. Typhon is another excellent example. Zeus buried him under a mountain. Loki is another example, he's chained up til Ragnorak. This is a bit concerning actually.
>>
>>18479000
The South Carolina shooting at a black supremacist church reeks of false flag. So many inconsistencies and (((pure coincidences))). Like another Sandy Hook.
>>
File: IMG_5998.gif (1021KB, 368x290px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_5998.gif
1021KB, 368x290px
>>18479011
Wew lad I had trips!?
>>
>>18478766

WE WUZ ATLANTEANS N SHEEEEEIT
>>
File: 1471068152293-pol.jpg (23KB, 310x232px) Image search: [Google]
1471068152293-pol.jpg
23KB, 310x232px
>>18479020
No, you didn't. Stop being a faggot, Shlomo.

>>18479012
>>18479004
Can you guys explain, please? Is this somehow related to Kali-Yuga and similar?
>>
>>18479036
I don't think so. They come from a lot of different ancient cultures. This "Sealed Evil In A Can" thing is pretty fucking old. And I can't explain it. That worries me. It doesn't even seem to have an allegorical point. In many cases this myth IS sited for why volcanic eruptions (Typhon) or earthquakes (Loki) occur. But that doesn't explain the end-times breakout predictions. Could refer to some kind of periodic volcanism or something.
>>
File: IMG_4097.jpg (86KB, 452x687px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4097.jpg
86KB, 452x687px
>>18479036
I hate Zionist, Islam in general and think gang culture is a good chunk of the problem that Hispanics and blacks impose on themselves but cmon, tell me that guy wasn't /pol/ tier?

>>
>>18479048
Or maybe it's giving tech to people who never would have developed it on their own, who use it to destroy their own environment and kill eachother. Knowledge is power, and power must come with responsibility and a duty to nature and eachother.
>>
>>18479067
I don't know what 4/pol/ is like, but I know how shills operate. And on this site, there's no way to verify who is posting what, so anyone can take credit for any post. Hence the derision of "lol guise I got trips have an anime grill I sucks cocks"
>>
>>18479048
>>18479068
Fuggers stole my 8

Any ways is all this sealed evil the same evil? Are these gods the same gods, just by different names, or are they all separate entities?

>>
>>18479084
Do you know the difference between Wotan, Woden, and Oden? Or Isis, Ishtar, and Ester?
>>
>>18479095
But all these have similar culture no? I mean like Quetzalcoatl and Ra type distance
>>
>>18479084
Who knows?
>>
File: 1471809282243-pol.png (272KB, 640x287px) Image search: [Google]
1471809282243-pol.png
272KB, 640x287px
>>18479130
They were, per records and the survivors' knowledge, founded by a people with fair skin, hair, and eyes. If you wonder why the Egyptian paintings show orange skin, it's because the bleached faggots with zero sun tolerance smeared themselves with ochre and shit for sunblock.
>>
>>18478646
You forgot about constellations.
>>
>>18479140
So were these whites the supposed Aliens from pleiades? They're mostly good right?
>>
>>18479157
I don't know. It's possible that a spacefaring people crash-landed here, or seeded the earth, or something like that. Or maybe humanoids developed on earth, left for a long time, then came back [and crash-landed or some shit]. Think of how much could be done in 40ky. Supposedly Europeans, according to some, mysteriously appeared 30kya...and it took until 1942 to get into space by the unfettered Germans?

I just don't have any solid answers, and don't think anyone else does. But the official narrative seems quite fishy.
>>
File: Swagon.jpg (2MB, 3500x2382px) Image search: [Google]
Swagon.jpg
2MB, 3500x2382px
>>18478766
Soot isn't red sand retard
>>
>>18479258
Dunno wtf you're getting at, retard. Sodium chloride is white, if you dumped a trillion trillion tons of it in a rainforest, would the rainforest become a white desert? Isn't tree bark brown and leaves green? Can you even comprehend chemical composition, or are you a jewtard with extra chromosomes?
>>
>>18479157
We'll be terraforming and seeding mars in the coming decades.
Assuming the ancient ayy hypo, I would think they were just much like us.
>>
>>18479334
Good luck surviving 38% Earth gravity.
>>
>>18479347
Me, I'm stayin on earth. Life is too good here.
>>
>>18478829
Lots of the structures in south america far predate christianity. Try again asshole
>>
>>18479367
That has absolutely nothing to do with what I said at all.
>>
>>18479288

You're both wrong. Burning down all the trees let the top-soil erode into a desert.
>>
>>18479422
You're all fucking wrong. Australia didn't used to be a continent-wide forest before humans turned it into desert.
>>
>>18479419>>18478667
>>18478829
How are the old south american structures "not much" ?
>>
>>18479450
>South America has old buildings
is not what OP was addressing, nor what I was responding to. I was referencing what native american cultures had in common with IE ones, which isn't a terribly lot.
>>
History and archeology are not at the best, like in a lot of major discipline there is a major problem : the human factor, money, investment, paper works and chosen priorities,

I suggest you take a look at Kon Tiki expeditions, Thor Works and islas canarias pyramids, it may bring you the answer you seek.
>>
>>18479425
>abos
>humans
>>
>>18479472
>Canary Island Pyramids
Not a great example actually. Those are just terraces for crop growing. If you look at the entire area and not just the "pyramids", you'll quickly see that. Canaries are kind of weird though, for the Guanches if nothing else.
>>
>>18479472
>kon tiki may show explanation about how what we think about ocean navigation is false and about how a white people from africa may have migrated to south america a long time ago with secret about how to sail the ocean n shit
>>
>>18479496
There is A lot more than guanches, if you go far away in time , they aren't terraces, but more something like a place to worship some kind of sun god that evolved in cultural meeting place (agora like) guanches are one thing, but don't forget about spanish, berbers and what was here before
>>
>>18479477
If anything abos are the purist humans
>>
>>18479516
>they aren't terraces
Oh I assure you, they ARE agricultural terraces.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyramids_of_Güímar

It's especially clear here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/6b/G%C3%BC%C3%ADmar_BW_3.JPG

And here:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/a/a4/G%C3%BC%C3%ADmar_BW_4.JPG

From archaeological evidence, they're quite recent too.
>>
>A global flood

This is a good point, anthropologist have been interested in the universality of a global flood myth for a long time. My own guess would be that most ancient communities were located near large bodies of water and a flood could really fuck shit up. Firestorms and earthquakes are just as common forms of godly wrath.

Its pretty easy to get people to assign you personal authority if they think the big man is upstairs is backing you up.

See above.

World Trees are super interesting, this one I don't have a clear answer for their wide prevalence

>Various Realms above Earth and below, the ones below usually being more evil and the ones above usually being better

Christianity is one of the few religions where heaven is just above earth kinda hanging there. In most religions the home of the gods is usually a sacred mountain, forest, or a planet or star. As for many cultures having a hell that literally exist below us, caves are spooky as hell dude. Its easy to imagine why multiple unrelated cultures would be like "yeah there's demons in shit in that dark creepy hole".

>Dragons

They just mashed some things that are scary to humans into one type of ultra scary creature. its just snakes+bats+lions/tigers/other big cat. At the same time while dragons as a scaly, flying, intelligent may exist in nearly every culture their role, powers, appearance, and relation to humanity can vary greatly over time and place

>Giants
"Dude what if there was a guy who was just like a guy but bigger!"

>Non mythological bonus: Pyramids everywhere

In most cases the first type of temple a society builds is called an earth mound structure. Its literally just a bunch of dirt piled up to make an artificial mountain. The obvious upgrade to this is to make it stone, even sided, and smooth and bam you've got pyramid.
>>
>>18479536
Well thx for the links, I actually never knew about the agricultural theory ! So there is 3 theory (read the wiki article) did you saw they say no theory is totally accepted yet ? (I won't even point the free mason theory)
>>
>>18478646
OP reissued the cultural source hypothesis. Bravo.
>>
>>18478646
Humans today are a species with amnesia, and there is a forgotten period of time that is not recorded in our history. Look into Graham Hancock's work its some good stuff. He tries to explain and look into these mysteries.
>>
>>18478823
>>18479559

Good theories but pretty sure ideas of dragons came from fossils. The Chinese have been using fossils in their traditional medicine for thousands of years, they call them "Long Gu" literally "Dragon Bone."

Imagine finding a T Rex skull or even a claw or some teeth... plus it's fossilized so very different from normal bone (in a way ancient people didn't understand). And voila... huge serpents!
>>
>>18479905
Possibly, but there are odd issues with that theory. For one thing, the oldest "dragon" artifacts are from China and look like little piggies. There are also Kirin, which literally look like what you would get if you crossed a carp with a stag. Stretch it out a bit and it looks like a dragon. I'm still not sure that explains the dragon myths from elsewhere, but it might.
>>
>>18479905
Imagine that ancient myths are to be taken literally.

Imagine that ancient myths are to be taken purely metaphorically.

Imagine that ancient myths are to be taken somewhat literally.

Imagine that ancient myths are to be taken somewhat metaphorically.

Imagine that ancient myths are written by people who engage in homosexuality.

Imagine that ancient myths are written by people who hate homosexuality.

The truth is somewhere out there. In between, the buttcheeks.
>>
>>18479004
I've always considered this to be a grand trick played by holy men. The concept of a great evil, that is sealed away, that eventually after a series of cryptic events happens, will end the world as it is known ensures some form of community relevancy for the priest class. We are innately concerned that what is good in our lives may vanish. Priests leave that as a hanging threat and say that they only one of them will know when it is happening and in turn we take care of them. Pretty sweet gig.
>>
>>18478766
Dear lord. Please go back to /pol/.
>>
>>18480080
I guess Iran isn't the modern Indo-European meaning of Aryan. Does the word Aryan mean nothing more than evil Nazi mysticism fairy tales, to you? Because it has a very real historical and linguistic meaning.

tl;dr you're a beta fag and/or a shill
>>
>>18480110
Saying "beta fag" pretty much confirms /pol/ or /r9k/. Either way opinion disregarded
>>
>>18480117
>I refuse to engage any facts or arguments
>if I call him names then I win
You must be from Reddit hurr hurr amirite.
>>
I think a lot of the mystery revolving around similar stories and experiences shared by distant cultures goes away when you realize that these ancient peoples really did travel across the entire globe a hell of lot further back in time than originally thought.

I'm not sure why this is so difficult to accept; people from different places, thousands or even tens of thousands of years ago, probably reached all corners of the earth sharing information with one another.

Over time, people went went from being almost purely nomadic to creating settlements and trading with a select few that bothered to travel these great distances. It's almost easier for me to accept that people even further back in time explored more than those in more recent recorded history (maybe 2k - 2,500 years or so), simply because they literally moved from place to place the entirety of their lives.

Think 12 - 15k years ago: the majority of those who were able to effectively communicate with one another probably propagated within distance of few hundered miles of one another, until a notable event such as a great freeze or flood forced them to move away from each other. They shared the same stories, but like the old telephone game you'd play in school, these teachings and traditions changed slightly over time.

For whatever reason we jump to the conclusion that aliens are involved, or some super secret advanced civilization played a part in cultivating a world full of idiots, when in reality it's simply the case of historians being wrong due to the fact that there isn't enough physical evidence to support people 10k+ years old circumnavigating the earth. The reason this will always be a theory and not globally accepted is simply because of that lack of evidence - which is due to the fact that we're so few people back then and they didn't have time to settle for any extended period of time to leave a permanent mark on the earth where they inhabited.
>>
>>18478646
Most of this shit is just exaggerated phenomenon you can observe in reality. You'd have a point if everyone was talking about something where there was zero point of reference to something in reality.
>A global flood
"Dude what if there was a flood, except the whole world?" Because they didn't understand how floods work and just assumed the water came from the aether.
Any argument involving morality inevitably draws a bunch of brainlets who think morality is objective and it only begs the question where this objective morality comes from.
Literally making an excuse to justify their disproportionate power over other people so they don't get murdered in a revolution.
"Dude imagine if there was a tree so tall if you climbed it you would be above the clouds" They had a shallow understanding of what space was
Sky is pretty and has clouds and stars, the sun and moon. Even the more violent things that happen in the sky, like thunder, are pretty. Stuff from the earth is scary though. What the fuck are earthquakes, why do volcanoes erupt? Something evil, because that shit is massively destructive for no reason. Ancient humans, of course, didn't have a concept of geology.
>Dragons
"What if (x animal) were bigger and could fly?"
>Giants
The occasional huge human. Average height of human was low due to malnutrition. Imagine what well fed tallfags would be like in comparison to them. Giants.
> Pyramids everywhere
Pretty simple shape and also pretty stable. Means you can build it up tall and awe people relatively easy. Might have a point if it was something weird like spheres. Also a simple shape but much harder to pull off which WOULD be a sign of higher intelligence and an understanding of physics.
>>
We already know that a pyramid is the best way to store grain.

I prefer most of the monster/dragon myths as an attempt to understand fossils. Especially since they had no real way to put the pieces in a correct order.
>>
>>18478646
I would add:
- little people living in the woods/fairies/gnomes who are almost always descendants of "creatures/angels" who "remained neutral in some ancient war"
- demigods warriors (greek, norse, christian, indian mythologies, just to name a few)
- the evil eye (beliefs about curses in general)
- the concept of soul
- the concept that there are evil spirits "out to get us"
>>
>>18478823
>Though it does seem that dragons are an almost exclusively old world phenomenon.
You are forgetting Quetzalcoatl from precolombian Americas.
>>
>>18478917
One very tiny remark: what you say about obsidian blades being sharper than what you can obtain with steel is true... but obsidian is brittle and you can't go to war with it and clash it against steel...
>>
>>18480149
>>Dragons
>"What if (x animal) were bigger and could fly?"

The Chinese Dragon, the European dragons of Norse mythology and Christian tradition (like the one slayed by St George), the Aztec Quetzalcoatl and the others you can read about here, of all places: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragon

These are all too similar to each other and all of them too similar to dinosaurs to ignore the fact that men and dinosaurs have probably coexisted, despite what official academia tells us: not in the retarded way flat earthers believe but more in the sense that there were much older civilizations on Earth that we know nothing about. They might have been human, they might have been something else... while humans were still apes. In any case, some civilization might have been present on Earth when dinosaurs roamed the planet and this civilization might have passed on the memory of those animals.
>>
File: cenawins.gif (856KB, 400x240px) Image search: [Google]
cenawins.gif
856KB, 400x240px
>>18478646
Be careful with that; a lot of the supposed commonalities in religious/mythological beliefs among so many cultures aren't actually that similar upon even cursory examination.

19th century explorers and anthropologists were really bad at projecting their own bias and worldview onto the beliefs of different cultures, trying to draw unfounded analogies and otherwise warping what other cultures actually believed as they tried to wrap their head around foreign concepts. Take how the British lumped together about a bazillion diverse and often contradictory polytheistic religious traditions under the label of "Hinduism" then spent ages trying to find the nonexistent "Hindu Bible" for a classic example.

The alleged commonality of "dragons" is another one; about the only thing the classic European fire breathing fairy tale monster has in common with the river deities called nagas or the Chinese long myths is scales. The idea of dragons being some kind of universal constant in human mythologies is a load of bullshit generated by people with extreme Eurocentric bias slapping the label "dragon" on anything the locals described in their legends having even vaguely reptile-like features.
>>
>>18481220
Or, ya know, people found the fossils of giant reptilian monsters with huge teeth and claws and spun tall tales based on it; with Marco Polo tier warping of information on crocodiles and alligators added to the mix.

Go digging through some Chinese history; they talk about people finding "dragon bones" in the same provinces that are now hotspots for paleontologists. Peasants in Henan still dig up dinosaur fossils, believe that they're dragon bones, and grind them up for traditional Chinese "medicine."
>>
>>18481244
Explain how they all came to the conclusion that these monsters had scales and were in fact, reptiles. Populations back then are not supposed to have the knowledge of paleontology required to make those deductions.
>>
>>18481230
Traditional representations of dragons are almost always showing reptile-like scales.
>>
>>18481260

>Explain how they all came to the conclusion that these monsters had scales and were in fact, reptiles.

Totally irrelevant to anything I argued or said, but if you're going to knot the rope and stick your head through it I might as well kick the chair. They weren't using our taxonomy back then.

>Populations back then are not supposed to have the knowledge of paleontology required to make those deductions.

Top fucking kek. Impressions of skin and scales can be found in fossils, as you'd know if you'd even spent five minutes googling this shit. Plus, China's native wildlife includes alligators, snakes, and a ton of other scaled animals, they knew what scales were. The village retard could look at the hide of an alligator and the scales on a dinosaur fossil and recognize a pattern.
>>
>>18478667
In truth, some East Coast tribes have middle-Eastern DNA. Likely have a shared ancestry from the Pleistocene.
>>
>>18481203
No I'm not. Serpents aren't dragons. But I will admit their are SOME similarities, like flying.

>>18481208
Actually, here's what happens when you get hit with an Aztec war-club. The obsidian splinters and shards of tiny obsidian glass dig into your flash for you to pick out later, assuming you survive the raping it delivers to your flesh. I remember someone saying once the conquistadors actually stopped wearing metal armor vs them because the blades would bust on it and splinters would get trapped in their mail, but I don't know how true that is.

It's not a "bad sword". It's just a completely different type of weapon.

>>18481230
>Hinduism
Oh fuck you. Vedic traditions all have commonality. And the vast majority of them CAN be lumped into Hinduism, whether you autist hair-splitters like it or not.

"Hindu Bible"
It's called the Vedas, dumbass. Primarily the following four: Rig (dude soma lmao), Yajur, Sama and Atharva (which totally sucks 1/10 shit spellbook)

>European fire breathing fairy tale monster has in common with the river deities called nagas or the Chinese long myths is scales
Not quite right. I think there's at least decent evidence the European dragons descend from Chinese ones. As for the new world, well it's mostly lacking in them, which hints that dragon myths have one primary source and it's most likely China or somewhere thereabouts. Chinese dragons are associated with water, but the form is similar and they do breath fire and are often depicted wrapped in it.

>>18481260
Well Mesoamerican Coatls are explicitly NOT dragons. They're literally snakes. And typically rattlesnakes more specifically. As said above, Euro dragons probably come from tales of Asian ones.

>>18481499
>middle-Eastern DNA
Never heard this one before. I've heard of mitochondrial X showing up, but that's hardly ME.

Huh, apparently it is found there and it's common with Egyptians. Now that is interesting.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_X_%28mtDNA%29
>>
>>18479213
We only recently understood radiation, pressurization of chambers, how to make jet fuel, how to preserve food in a non-salted form, and had enough bsessive assholes running the place, that things looked bad enough, that the moon looked more like home.

Nobody wanted to go to space because they had it good, we wanna go to space because they had it good, and we have it meh.
>>
>>18483240
We have had awareness of most of those things since, at least as extant and acknowledged records go, antiquity. Also, many large stores of knowledge such as the Alexandrian library were deliberately destroyed by foreigners at many points in history. It is very easy to lose knowledge when survival is more important, and the surplus of labour isn't enough for higher arts and sciences to flourish. Same reason why illiteracy has always been so high: people have a lot of work to do, and would rather spend their precious little leisure time not stuck in a book. Industrialisation has radically altered society, you've no idea.

>how to preserve food in a non-salted form
Son... Especially this is retarded.
>>
>>18482195
>And the vast majority of them CAN be lumped into Hinduism, whether you autist hair-splitters like it or not.
Because "Hinduism" was the term used to lump vastly different philosophies and practices into something ethno-centric Englishmen could understand. The difference between a monist yogi following Adi Shankara, a personalist devotee following Ramanuja Acarya, and a tantric Shakti following the Devi Mahatmya are greater than the differences between a Catholic Vicar, a Jewish Rabbi, and a Muslim Imam.

>"Hindu Bible"
>It's called the Vedas, dumbass. Primarily the following four
First, there are ONLY four Vedas, no need of saying "primarily." Second, no - MANY traditions consider writings such as the Bhagavad-Gita, the Devi Mahatmya, the Vedanta Sutras, and others more important and central to the philosophical underpinnings of their tradition.
>>
>>18484241
>monist is like totally different from a shakta
Wrong. Monism isn't a religion. It's a personal perception. It's like panentheism or deism. You can be a panentheist or deist and belong to almost any religion. Everything you named is one branch or another of Hinduism. Vaishnavas, Shaktas and Shaivas don't belong to different religions. And tantra is just the esoteric branch of Vedic religion. It's like sufis. They're not no longer muslim because they're mystics.

>are greater than the differences between a Catholic Vicar, a Jewish Rabbi, and a Muslim Imam.
Well that may well be, but 2 things: 1: Hinduism is FAR older than those shit false religions and 2: those are all basically just one form or another of judaism. Only butthurt jews, crosshits and mudslimes don't see that because they all bitterly hate one another, yet worship THE EXACT SAME FUCKING GOD.

>First, there are ONLY four Vedas
Oh no you didn't. There are fucktons of Vedas. Those are just the major ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vedas

Veda is a looser term than I think you think it is. It just means "knowledge" more or less. It's even IN other words like ayurveda (life-knowledge - medicine).

>MANY traditions consider...more important
So what? Sure the Gita's important. But do they call them "Gitic Religions"? No. They're called VEDIC religions and the oldest Hindu traditions are based on the Vedas, primarily Rig.
>>
>>18478646
Humans think and act alike?
They just weren't advanced back then so they believed in spirits, gods and all that good fairytale stuff.
>>
>>18484541
>Wrong.
A shakta is not a monist.

>Monism isn't a religion.
Nor is tantra and personalism.

>It's like panentheism or deism.
No. Monism is quite contradictory to either of those. Pantheism would be a better fit if you're looking for a parallel, but it's really a distinct idea. Thus the separate word monism.

>Everything you named is was crammed into a geographic/ethnic demoninator dubbed Hinduism.
Yes, we know that.

>Vaishnavas, Shaktas and Shaivas don't belong to different religions.
They are different religions as much as Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Sunni, Shia, and LDS are different religions.

>And tantra is just the esoteric branch of Vedic religion.
The reduction of tantra to simply mean "esoteric" is Colonialism rearing its head again. There are esoteric paths and knowledge in all the Vedic religions whether they generally use tantric practices or not. In Vedic religions, tantra is more akin to a process, a merging of central principle into action. As sutra is the thread, tantra is the weave.

>It's like sufis. They're not no longer muslim because they're mystics.
My point is that Sufis are not Hasidic and neither of them are Fransican, though all of these are mystical sects of DIFFERENT Abrahamic religions. It would be ludicrous to lump them into a made up umbrella term of Jordanism.

>2: those are all basically just one form or another of judaism.
So you are that much of an idiot.
>Only butthurt jews, crosshits and mudslimes - the religions directly affected when dismissed this way and who clearly see the differences in their religions - don't see that
Oh do go on...

>Oh no you didn't. There are fucktons of Vedas.
No, there are many Vedic texts, but The Vedas are four.

>It just means "knowledge" more or less
veda:The Vedas::biblio:The Bible

>So what?
So it doesn't matter that these groups have different philosophies, sacred books, practices, and holy persons - they're all the same religion to you?
>>
>>18485137
>A shakta is not a monist.
Who the hell are you to say that? A person that chooses a goddess as their personal deity can be a monist all they want. There is absolutely no rule against that.

>Nor is tantra and personalism.
Exactly.

>Monism is quite contradictory to either of those.
I have no idea what you think you mean here.

>Yes, we know that.
Jesus christ what a faggot.

>They are different religions as much as Jewish, Catholic, Protestant, Orthodox, Sunni, Shia, and LDS are different religions.
Yeah not so much. More like different eternally warring sects of the same horseshit terrible religion - judaism.

>The reduction of tantra
Alright, I'm not addressing anymore of your comments. You clearly are in love with the sound of your own voice and that's why you're doing this retarded shit.
>>
>>18486843
>Who the hell are you to say that?
Someone who understands the basic philosophy of Shaktism and how it differs from Monism.

>A person that chooses a goddess as their personal deity can be a monist all they want.
Yes they can, but just because a Monist focuses on a female image that does NOT make them a Shakta.

>I have no idea what you think you mean here.
Panentheism and Deism both explicitly have a being that is distinct from the rest of existence. Monism is the strict denial of anything being distinct or separate. They are contradictory.

>Alright, I'm not addressing anymore of your comments.
We can only hope.
Thread posts: 98
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.