[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey, /x/ I've got a question ; How does one get into Buddhism?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 4

File: Buddhism-For-Dummies.jpg (45KB, 397x499px) Image search: [Google]
Buddhism-For-Dummies.jpg
45KB, 397x499px
Hey, /x/

I've got a question ; How does one get into Buddhism?

I'm a pretty selfish person and I have a lot of attachment to the material world, so I want to better myself, or more accurately, I want a release from my own pettiness.

Is there any stuff I should read or understand?

Thanks.
>>
>Is there any stuff I should read or understand?

Grasshopper, seek the tome "Buddhism for Dummies"
>>
I prefer dzogchen.

Meditating upon the natural state of mind, that is sky-like and blissful.

I'm not a big fan of emptiness as a metaphysical truth, but as an object of awareness.
>>
>>18452608
>>18412535
>>18423684
>>
>>18452608
Take an oath of silence.
>>
>>18452850
>>
>>18452859
>>
File: 6.jpg (438KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
6.jpg
438KB, 1280x1024px
Buddhism finds you. Your natural curiousity towards it here means it is finding you.

You have already begun because you're listening to your intuition, which is mindfulness. You've already begun.

To answer your question, read. There are literal tons of books on Buddhism on Amazon. Buy used copies for just a couple of dollars.

The Flawless Place Between
Buddha in Blue Jeans
How to Practice: The Meaning of Life (recommended, written by the Dalai Lama)
The Tibetan Book of the Dead (any edition, go for something "translated" for the west)

YouTube has good guided meditations. Put some headphones on, focus on your breathing, turn the lights off, and sit on your bed while listening to the guided meditation. Imagine you are an observer, a mountain, and thoughts are clouds. Just watch them float by, but don't try to hold on to them or think on them. Just watch them come, watch them go. Let your thoughts play out on their own.

A pillar of Buddhism (the first Noble truth) is that nothing is permanent, and to try to hold on to anything as if it were causes you to suffer. Thoughts are not permanent either. Just let them come and go. Appreciate, and let go.

Enjoy your journey, Anon.

- a follower of the Buddha
>>
File: Yin_yang.svg.png (10KB, 260x260px) Image search: [Google]
Yin_yang.svg.png
10KB, 260x260px
I recommend getting into Taoism instead. It's like Buddhism, but with a lot less work.
>>
>>18452608
What race are you? If you're white (or otherwise non-Asian/non-Indian) you'll be one of these granola-hippie poser types. European pagan traditions are very similar to Buddhism and Hinduism. Or if you happen to be black you can look into Vodun/Voodoo.
>>
>>18452978
White.
>>
>>18453024

Go hermeticism or some other form of gnosticism
>>
>>18452608
Getting rid of the desire to desire things is the first step, a lot of people agree that desiring less is good, but they don't internalize it. If you really understand that getting rid of desire is good, the rest falls into place. Try reading into the basics of Buddhism, most types of Buddhism agree that a lot of the "scriptures" about Buddhism are bullshit, so start from the beginning and come to your own conclusions, only rely on the literature as a guide rather than something infallible like a bible.

>>18452903
Taoism is also a good place to look. I think it's good to look everywhere to find schools of thought that emphasize getting rid of desire, so some Greek philosophies like Stoicism and Epicureanism are also worth a look. Zen came about as a result of Taoism and Buddhism being mixed, so looking into Taoism can help you develop your opinion as well. It's a bit more optimistic and happy-go-lucky, but there's nothing inherently wrong with that.
>>
>>18453032
Pretty much already am a Hermeticist

I've plans to make the stone, I just need to acquire some silver (or gold) and a temperature gauge.
>>
>>18452625
Dzogchen is contained within buddhist teachings, most masters would advise you to practice a ton of stuff for years before jumping into such advanced practices. One thing is to understand intellectually the concept of the natural state the mind and other completely different is being able to experience it. No dzogchenpa would take emptiness as an object of awareness, since to practice dzogchen you have to set yourself beyond the object-subject notion.
>>
>>18453050
>most types of Buddhism agree that a lot of the "scriptures" about Buddhism are bullshit

Which schools of buddhism state such things?
>>
>>18453110
Every one, about the things that other schools believe.
>>
>>18452618
I read it about 10 years ago, it's pretty good.
>>
>>18453973
I'm sorry, but this is bullshit. Unless you're talking about the NKT most schools of buddhism really respect and support each other, be it hinayana, mahayana or vajrayana. In the vajrayana schools you even have the rimé movement, which is by definition non-sectarian. I'll leave a quote from Rongzom Chokyi Zangpo that talks about this: "All of the teachings of Buddha are of one taste, one way - all leading to the truth, all arriving at the truth. Although there are different vehicles, they neither contradict each other, nor reject the basis of each other. The things that are fully made clear in the lower vehicles are neither changed nor rejected by the higher vehicles, but accepted as they are. The points that are not made completely clear in the lower vehicles are made clear in the higher vehicles, but the basic structure is not changed, and none of the points that are already clear are contradicted. Therefore, different vehicles and traditions do not go in different directions, and they do not arrive at different conclusions."
>>
Yes. Stay willfully passive. Stay passive while they take over the world.
>>
>>18455143
Get angry and buy some tums to treat it, ohwait you just supported the corporate nightmare.

Getting angry doen't ive you power, being wise does. Being restrained and mindful gives you all the powerin the world, but slaughtering a person these days is fonna get your side looked down upon.

Be passive, but resilient.
That's an undead lesson ifI ever heard one. If you were a zombie in a craowded mall trying to get survivors, just charging in would do nothing, you'd need to convince them of their own safety first, just as that "THEY" that you talk to your friends about.
>>
>>18452891
>literal tons

you better be right
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.