[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Let’s say you have an axe. Just a cheap one, from Home Depot.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: images.jpg (3KB, 241x209px) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
3KB, 241x209px
Let’s say you have an axe. Just a cheap one, from Home Depot. On one bitter winter day, you use said axe to behead a man. Don’t worry, he was already dead. Or maybe you should worry, because you’re the one who killed him.
He had been a big, twitchy guy with veiny skin stretched over swollen biceps. Teeth filed into razor-sharp fangs, you know the type. And you’re chopping off his head because you’re pretty sure he’s about to spring back to his feet and eat the look of terror right off your face. On the follow-through of the last swing, though, the handle of the axe snaps in a spray of splinters.
You now have a broken axe. So you go to town with your axe. You go to the hardware store, explaining away the dark reddish stains on the broken handle as barbecue sauce. You walk out with a brand new handle for your axe.
The repaired axe sits undisturbed in your garage until the next spring when, on one rainy morning, you find in your kitchen a creature that appears to be a foot-long slug, Its jaws bite one of your forks in half with what seems like very little effort. You grab your trusty axe and chop the thing into several pieces. On the last blow, however, the axe strikes a metal leg of the overturned kitchen table and chips out a notch right in the middle of the blade.
Of course, a chipped head means yet another trip to the hardware store. They sell you a brand new head for your axe. As soon as you get home with your newly-headed ax, though, you meet the reanimated body of the guy you beheaded last year. He’s also got a new head, stitched on with what looks like plastic weed trimmer line, and it’s wearing that unique expression of “you’re the man who killed me last winter” resentment that one so rarely encounters in everyday life.
You brandish your axe. The guy takes a long look at the weapon with his squishy, rotting eyes and in a gargly voice he says “That’s the same axe that slayed me!”
Is he right
>>
Yea. Cells change too, it is the pattern in time that matters.
>>
>>18397103
>does't know how to rehandle an axe
>doesn't know how to mend a chipped edge
axe yourself
>>
I would worry first about re-beheading the zombie in front of me before asking philosophical questions, but that's just me; also I don't know if you are the one who wrote that but it's very well done should look into developing that
>>
>>18397103
no, it's basically a new axe at this point dingus
>>
>>18397103
>>18397103
First, "slain", second, shitty copypasta made by some crappy teenager. Disappointing.
>>
>>18397103
Yeah, I'd say so. Over a century, a certain boat might gradually have every single sail, board, nail and screw replaced with an identical part until not a single thing remains that was originally there; it will still be the same boat though, in spirit, shape, name and so on.

Same would go for a forest. The trees gradually change. If you went back and not a tree remained from your first visit, you wouldn't say 'this is a different forest.'

>>18397119
This too.
>>
For fucks sake, this is from "John Dies at the End" Literally the opening scene of the movie on Netflix.

It is a simplified version of the Theseus paradox. In the Theseus paradox it is Theseus' (a famous hero) ship sails by. After years every board, plank, rail, sail, keel, rudder and mast has been replaced. Therefore is it still the same ship seen years before. If it is, where does the essence that makes it Theseus' ship reside if not in timber. If not then at which point in the repairs does it cease to be the same ship?
It is the thing and the whole of the thing.
>>
>He’s also got a new head

That's what I'm confused on
>>
>>18397223
Well is it?
>>
>>18397103
>"Yes, but I should really get a better one"

>>18397223
Even easier since ships have names
>>
Fucking awesome movie
>>
>>18397223
My biggest problem is that the movie completely removed the point of the oppening text
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.