[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I know this seems like it should go in /tv/, but hear me out.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

I know this seems like it should go in /tv/, but hear me out. Adventure Time is a show that seems to be filled with symbolism and metaphors. Sure, some episodes are fluff, but the creators seem to have a lot of knowledge of esoteric symbolism and the like.

Take for example the Tree Trunks episode. On the surface, it's about an ill-prepared elephant on an overambitious quest to eat a "Crystal Gem Apple." Sounds simple enough, but the episode has so many strange allusions and symbolic imagery in it, it really seems to be trying to say something.

This is especially obvious at the end, where the gang finally happens upon the legendary Crystal Gem Tree, which is guarded by a "Crystal Guardian" who mimics anyone who comes close to the tree. One would assume that one must battle this guardian, as Link would battle his Shadow Self in the Water Temple of OOT. The scene seems to be saying something odd about facing yourself, but I'm not hip enough to read too much into the creators' intended meaning. I can't tell if the show is trying to make another point about relationships (as they do in many other episodes), or if they're making a point about personal goals, or if it's something even more abstract and spiritual/drug-reference-y.

I say drug reference-y because the Crystal Gem Tree is unmistakably shaped like a giant mushroom, which is strange for a tree. If the creators were just trying to make some kind of strange "random" adventure show, they wouldn't even think to include details like making a central plot device look like a giant mushroom just because. There is definitely something going on under the surface here. It seems that almost every episode is trying to say something or teach some lesson. Some are obvious small morals about how to be a good person, and others seem deeply spiritual and possibly referencing to lessons that you learn while tripping.

What do you guys think? Am I overanalyzing here?
>>
You have to remember this is just a writing and artist staff of people just like you and I trying to express themselves, to entertain, and to make money.

Yes, you are looking way too hard into it. Even if they symbolism is true, it's just some guy like you who decided "hey it'd be cool if we did this" and drew it in.
>>
>>18382558
Has nothing to do with /x/ unfortunately. Btw I love the show.
>>
>>18382558

That looks like a lampshade hanging.
>>
>>18382558
Adventure Time is fucking shit.
>>
File: x collects newspaper.jpg (2MB, 3600x2395px) Image search: [Google]
x collects newspaper.jpg
2MB, 3600x2395px
well if i could make animation i would too put some occult symbolism in it, because i am interested in subject and have some knowledge. pen probably read lot of occult stuff and when this info is in your brain it fools good to put it in your work and it makes it even more mystical and interesting. when i drew i always put some occult alusions for my friend which ubderstood the meaning, others did not but they all liked drawing for their own reasons. i don't think it is something special op.
>>
>>18382582
feels good* sorry
>>
>>18382570
I thought this would be a good place because a lot of people here have knowledge of esoteric symbolism, the occult and of philosophy. I think /his/ may work to, but I feel like they'd be even less receptive.

>>18382569
I don't know man, if you haven't watched the show, you wouldn't know how obvious it is when the creators are trying to show a metaphor. The imagery changes and the way the characters talk goes from casual and childish to adult and everything they say is full of double-entendres.
>>
the show never really says shit, they only allude to themes.
>>
>>18382590
Because it's fucking shit.
>>
>>18382558
I think this is more about the themes of the show than really a paranormal subject.
To do their storytelling they use symbols like the once seen in fairytales, this symbols are also part of our collective unconscious, and it gives the show this whimsical look. They use classic archetypes and twist them a bit and also have pop culture references.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.