[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Can someone /x/pill me on Irish mythology and paganism? I wa

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 5

File: Irish-Warriors1.jpg (17KB, 274x184px) Image search: [Google]
Irish-Warriors1.jpg
17KB, 274x184px
Can someone /x/pill me on Irish mythology and paganism? I want to learn more about my true heritage.

Currently reading this: http://www.sacred-texts.com/pag/idr/idr01.htm
>>
File: 0.jpg (126KB, 540x540px) Image search: [Google]
0.jpg
126KB, 540x540px
>>
>>18348942
Youtube Michael Tsarion.

He has a lot videos about but I recommend watching his videos on the druids.

Hope that helps OP.
>>
>>18348972
Thanks man, wasn't expecting a reply.
>>
File: 4k ultra hd 2.jpg (1MB, 2160x2160px) Image search: [Google]
4k ultra hd 2.jpg
1MB, 2160x2160px
>>
>>18348942
I have a book of Irish folklore. I'm off work tomorrow evening so if this threads still up and at em. I'll post the name and author. Look into cuchulain too.
>>
>>18348999
Cheers, I'll try and keep the thread going.
>>
>>18348979
>wasn't expecting a reply.
Sure you were. Don't sell yourself short anon.
>>
>>18349023
Lmao, this is the first /x/ thread I've ever made, didn't really know what to expect desu
>>
>>18348942
Here's some other youtube videos, they're more documentaries. Both videos are part 1s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zA-itb5NwDU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AU1dKfMIEUQ

Terry Jones from Monty Python also wrote an amazing book about the Celts and there use to be a video he did on youtube but I can't seem to find it, sorry OP.
>>
>>18348942
Irish fag here.I can't help you that much but look into the fomorians. Interesting stuff.
>>
>>18349030
That first one is blocked in the UK, but the second one looks great. I'll definitely watch all of those.
>>
File: 4k ultra hd.jpg (1MB, 4500x4334px) Image search: [Google]
4k ultra hd.jpg
1MB, 4500x4334px
>>
>>18348942
those warriors look more Gaulish
>>
>>18348942
not irish, but i'm living in ireland atm and hang out w/ all the irish pagans

first word of advice: don't read ANYTHING from american authors. they really really are shit. irish authors tend to reconstruct their practices from actual archaeological research. and of course live in ireland and actually understand it better
http://www.loraobrien.com/
she's been recommended to me as the best author in irish celtic neo paganism, she does a lot of research and her stuff is pretty solid in general. prof ronald hutton (english proff from cambridge, appears in a lot of documentaries) is also a nice go to for anything involving druids and paganism, since he knows fucking everything and he's a pagan himself

also in general for mythology, read the original sources
>the lebor gabála érenn (book of invasions)
>the táin bo cuailnge (the cattle raid of cooley)
there's fuck loads, those are the two main ones everyone keeps coming back to
also see W.B. Yeats and Lady Gregory, they're good for mythological stuff (they were involved in the celtic revival during the war of independence here), Thomas Kinsella for a slightly more modern revision. He has a nice translation of AnTáin
>>
>>18350293
Also just a general FYI celtic myths are not proven to be 100% remnants of the old pagan cults as they were written down by christian monks in the 9th century. however as you will see in an táin, there's sections of it that are in verse and may be much older and the only vestiges from the oral tradition that gave rise to the written tales.
so yeah the irish mythological cycles are not strictly "celtic" as they were written down by monks. there's no written records by the celts themselves about their practices and nobody really knows who they worshiped or how, and at best you can make an educated guess from the myths and the existing folklore in the island

also on the same note Ogham is not a celtic alphabet, there's no evidence the irish celts ever used Ogham and it'd be highly unlikely they ever did because a) it was used by irish monks and b) it's based on the latin alphabet (the romans never conquered ireland)
>>
>>18350300
>>18350293
also sorry for the third post but another FYI is that your true heritage is unlikely to be "celtic" or pure celtic as the east of ireland was heavily raided by vikings (lost of irish kings were vikings actually). dublin, the capital of ireland, is not celtic but viking as the name suggests (the name in irish is baile atha cliath, not dublin, dublin is of norse origins "dubh linn" which means black puddle, whereas baile Áth Cliath means "town of the ford of hurdles" and is the name for a gaelic settlement that was further up the liffey river)
there's also DNA evidence of population with semitic (middle eastern) traces and lots and lots of evidence that would suggest modern irish people also share ancestry with people from northern spain (galicia). dublin was a viking port that dealt mostly with slavery so chances are there was much mixing at the time
>>
irish women are boner witches

what makes them so sexy
>>
File: AuQcAHuCEAA6ej2[1].jpg (66KB, 417x500px) Image search: [Google]
AuQcAHuCEAA6ej2[1].jpg
66KB, 417x500px
>>18350314
aye they are
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.