[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

It's really difficult to find good discussions online about

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 11

File: It_cover.jpg (30KB, 302x442px) Image search: [Google]
It_cover.jpg
30KB, 302x442px
It's really difficult to find good discussions online about this book for a few reasons. The title makes it tough, but it also seems like a lot of people simply haven't read it. They've either seen the miniseries or just assume they know what the book is about.

Anyway, I'm hoping someone here has read It recently enough to have a conversation about it. Really, just a few things I want to talk about and can't because there's no one to talk to.

What's the meaning of "beep beep," which the children say throughout the book. I assumed that this was a reference to the roadrunner from the cartoons, but I don't think that or any other explanation is given in the book.

Also, why the fuck did Mike Hanlon and Stanley Uris even exist? You could very easily have done away with Stanley's character completely, he contributed nothing to the story except for being Jewish, which made room for some conversation about religion. But there's no reason Bill or one of the other kids couldn't have been Jewish. And as for Mike, he only existed to be black and to stay behind in Derry to bring the kids back together. Again, why not give those qualities to one of the other characters? There's no reason Ben or Eddie couldn't have been the one who stayed behind. And the fact that he's black really doesn't add much to the story. There's one tale told about the burning of a black nightclub, designed to give the reader an idea about the scope of It's evil influence and the bad things It can make people do. But why not just have a black character tell that story to one of the other kids?

Finally, I can't wrap my head around the section where they all fuck Bev. It just doesn't make any sense. They believed they had defeated It and on the way out, she ""realizes"" that she ""is supposed to"" get fucked by all of her friends. Huh?
>>
>>18304470
The 'fuck Bev' part is pretty weird and I personally think it's in there just to be pervy. Stephen King is my least favourite author because I find the scenes he enters into to storyline are unnecessarily disturbing. It's like he's a edge lord or something. There is always a sadistic bully in all his stories and blaming it on separate incarnations of Flagg is just lazy. I think the guy has some hang ups.

Sorry OP, it's been a while since I read It and my distaste for King colours my response.
>>
>>18304506
>it's been a while since I read It
That seems to be the case with most people I know who have read the book. Fuck me for successfully avoiding King's pulpy nonsense for so long, I guess. King is shit, so I agree with your take on his work. The fact that he hated Kubrick's Shining sort of says it all.
>>
I read it for the first time not long ago, agreed that Uris is a totally unnecessary character, other than to demonstrate that the terror of Derry is worth killing yourself over, even if you have friends you made a pact with that you think are worth fighting for/saving.
The fuck Bev scene is a really lazy way to insert some "good magic", but yeah, really just King being a pervy coked out edge lord
>>
I often thought about the bev sex was to show that they all had formed a deeper connection + it might be like that one post said king could have just been a perv.
>>
>>18304582
I had read the Bev fuck scene as her contribution of a ritual to the whole process of defeating It. And it also serves as a parallel to Bev and Bill fucking as adults before facing It again. Also, everything that happens to Bev is mostly about a little girl being pushed into womanhood. The blood in the bathroom is period blood, her father wants to check her hymen, etc. So I guess that her feeling like she needs to get fucked by all of them is her way of counteracting all that bad stuff. But Jesus, that's a stretch and hardly feels like that's what King was trying to get at.
>>
>>18304614
Wasn't the point that by losing their innocence they lost value to It and were able to escape from the sewer-labyrinth?
>>
>>18304470
The jew and black characters were in for forced diversity. They had no purpose. Same with Bev. Book would have been better with just the boys. Doesn't stop it from being one of my favorite books.
>>
Henry Bowers is based
>>
Stanley was the die hard skeptic, wasn't a believer until It came after him in the form of a giant bird. He had the hardest time accepting It and broke down at the thought of going back to face all that shit as a grown adult. Also being Jewish you'd be different, same with Mike he was the black kid. They were all outcasts for different reasons.

Their group had power because it was 7 of them and them thinking 7 is a magic number had given extra protection (which it kinda did, they all made it out the first time) so they did need the jew and the black kid.
>>
>>18304470
What were It and the Turtle exactly?
>>
>>18305401
the turtle is the tie-in to the dark tower series. As a kid, my mom had shitloads of stephen king books and not much else, and pretty much after a certain point everything has things that could be drawn as precursors or references to the dark tower series.
Kind of like if a young King had the idea and was slowly working it into everything, as the villain from dark tower was basically fucking with all of reality out of spite
>>
>>18305416
This is correct IT is actually a minion of the Crimson King. His minions are known for causing havoc for the sake of causing havoc.
>>
>>18305401
i always thought IT was the crimson king, but I'm pretty sure king said they are not the same, just the same species at one point

the turtle is maturin, one of the 12 guardians of the beams
>>
>>18305298

7 has implicit clockwise motion.
>>
>>18305492
Nope he's a minion of his in the graphic novels you see a bunch of lesser spider like beings around the Crimson King and those same creatures are the same species as IT.
>>
>>18304506
>It's like he's a edge lord or something

This is what I actually like about Stephen King. He can be hilariously gratuitous, but it all works out.
>>
>>18305502
honestly idgaf about the graphic novels, but Mordred, the son of the crimson king is a spider just like IT, and i might be wrong because I've read them a long time ago, but didn't they both use deadlights?
>>
>>18305524
The graphic novels actually play a pretty good part in tying certain things up in the book that was never discussed. Including things about the orbs and beings living in them like Marilyn's grapefruit. Which those creatures so happen to live in. Yes they dead though to answer your question they are of the same. The Crimson King is just one of them on super duper eldritch steroids.
>>
by the way am I the only one who is pissed off because Idris Elba will play Roland in the film adaptation?
>>
>>18304470
Im trying to get into more of kings stuff what are some good ones??
>>
>>18305550
>Idris Elba
I thought you were trolling I'm pretty pissed Roland wasn't black SUSAN was the token nigger. DESU I think Henry Rollins would play a great Eddie. They almost went with the guy from No Country for Old Men to play Roland what the fuck is wrong with them they're going to lose so many potential views was this King's call?
>>
>>18305556
Dark Tower series The Last Stand are great
>>
>>18305556
Dark Tower Series.
Amazing stuff.
>>
>>18304470
Bev was a cumdumpster even before her dad gave her the old virginity test
>>
>>18304470
>>18304506
>>18304582
>>18304602
>>18304614
>>18304847
Remember in The Tommyknockers when he fucks the tentacle vagina?
>>
>>18305561
Director wanted a diverse cast
>>
File: 1455086666783.png (455KB, 1015x1527px) Image search: [Google]
1455086666783.png
455KB, 1015x1527px
>>18305660
That director needs to get shot asap friendo.
>I'm a diverse man who wants a diverse cast xD
>EVEN THOUGH THERE'S ALREADY A DIVERSE FUCKING CAST IN THE BOOK
>LE TIME TO SELF INSERT THE BULL I PREP
When do we start the lynching?
>>
>>18305673
Idris Elba doesn't even seem like a bad actor I'm just sick of him being in every god damn movie that needs le black main character
>>
>>18305691
I have no problem with the actor I have a problem with shitting on source material to pander to people that don't even read the fucking books this is the fucking Thor comic book all over again fuck the Hollywood Jews.
>>
>>18305550

Why do you hate black people anon, are you a racist?
>>
>>18305713

I can't wait to see how they deal with susannah hating white people in the drawing of three
>>
>>18305747
This is actually a big problem Susannah openly mocked Roland and Eddie for their color at the start of their relationship. By changing Roland and possibly Eddie Susannah may just be a kinky black women who don't need no man or authority. HMMMMM already seems like some sorta progressive jew movie.
>>
>>18305754

Yea, I know. I really loved the books (Up to 4 gets my unconditional recommendation)

I am pissed about the movie. Ok, yes, in lots of things, race doesn't have to particularly matter, and you can slot in whoever, where ever you want.

but in this case, one of the major bits of the Susanna's character is tied to her being black and her distrust / hate about white people. Like, 1960's civil rights era ontop of being crippled by a white guy. I can totally understand why she would not be a fan of whitey.

But nope, its 2016, never mind actual plot considerations, we gotta be progressive and shit.
>>
>>18304470

>What's the meaning of "beep beep," which the children say throughout the book.
Richie can get annoying so his friends say that whenever he needs to shut up. Pretty simple, surprised you missed that.

>Also, why the fuck did Mike Hanlon and Stanley Uris even exist?

Stanley was the sacrificial lamb of the group - there had to be a reason for Losers Club to get back together after all those years. He's also the most doubtful of the group - every horror story has to have one character acting as a skeptic to be the voice of reality, and the terror is realized further once that character becomes convinced of the growing horror. As for him being Jewish, I think you're reading too much into that. When writers are dealing with a group of characters, the first thing they do is assign them distinct traits. Bill is the smart one/leader, Ben is the fat kid, Bev is the girl, Richie is the funny one, Eddie is the shy one, etc. Nothing more to it than that.

I'm surprised you view Mike as an unimportant character - the interludes between sections of the book where Mike interviews residents of Derry to get the town's history as well as describe the new murders are some of the most chilling parts of the book. Especially the toddler who gets killed in the bathroom - the way King writes that the mother heard him shrieking is just terrifying, imagine being 2 years old and witnessing a monster come out of the drain to kill the shit out of you. And honestly, you can't disregard Mike's blackness as being unimportant. IT deals pretty heavily with the ugliness of people and history, so mike being black serves as convenient way to highlight that, especially given the part where his father talks about his upbringing.

>Finally, I can't wrap my head around the section where they all fuck Bev. It just doesn't make any sense.

My post is getting too long so I'll answer this separately. I have a good explanation for it.
>>
>>18304470
>>18305869
cont'd

>Finally, I can't wrap my head around the section where they all fuck Bev. It just doesn't make any sense.

This scene is a lot to take in when you first read IT, and it certainly threw me for a loop when I was 13 and got through the book. If you've read a significant portion of Stephen King's bibliography, you'll know he is a bit of a pervert and often includes pretty graphic sexually-charged imagery. King's got some fucked up mental shit going on, but it does play well into his books - however campy they may get, they certainly cover the horrors of being human and existing exponentially.

But back to the sewer orgy. In order to understand the significance and meaning of IT, you really need to read it twice - once as a kid yourself, and the second time when you're an adult. I read this for the first time when I was 13, and read it again as a 23-year-old. It isn't the deepest metaphor, but the villain of IT is by and large the past personified. Our regrets often haunt us the most, and we push them out by doing our best to only remember the good times or completely shut out the past altogether. The easiest way to do this is simply get as far from your hometown as possible - this is why most of the Losers club go on to reach incredible levels of success, while Mike remembers everything by staying in the town. Of course, your memories will eventually catch up with you, which is what happens the moment he calls them to tell them that it's back - like everyone who has a past, there is always unfinished business.
>>
>>18304470
>>18305886
cont'd

The book is also about childhood innocence and the fears that come with it, namely growing up, sex, puberty, you name it. Everyone in the Losers club is on the cusp of puberty, with the exception of Bev who has a headstart (girls typically start puberty earlier than boys). Meanwhile, the main antagonists aside from IT are boys who are already going through puberty, and are naturally mean and nasty. Since the Losers are still innocent, they can view adulthood from afar.

When they defeat IT for the first time, they are also confronting all of their innermost fears, and end up quite literally lost in the dark, with no way out. Bev, who has had the fear of sex instilled in her from her father, realizes that they have all just battled true evil and survived (albeit for the time being), and are thus much more grownup than they all thought. Now that they are all terrified and lost, she knows that she has to make them feel better and distract them from the present situation, so she does so through sex. It works, because as soon as it's over, they're able to find their way out of the sewers, thus triggering the start of their teen years which will carry them into adulthood. As a result, they slowly start to forget what happened and move on.

It obviously doesn't make the sewer orgy any less unsettling, but it is what it is. I found re-reading IT to be an incredibly poignant experience, especially since I had spent a year back in my hometown following my college graduation and had a ton of conflicting feelings about the past/where I was. Whenever you return home as an adult it will never feel the same as when you were a child, and all of your negative feelings will come rushing back, which is why you can't spend too much time there. You either have to face them directly or just move on. And you have to remember the good parts of your childhood and what it meant to have friends and shit..
>>
>>18305550
Come on dude. I get that Hollywood is overplaying the importance of diversity these days, but getting mad at the casting choice of a fictional character due to race is always fucking stupid. Idris Elba is a great actor and a big guy, he'll be able to play a moody badass well. And this film has been in development for years upon years, so he is far from the studio's first choice to play him.

Again, Roland's race was never a significant aspect to the books. It doesn't fucking matter. It will definitely be cringy if they highlight Roland's blackness in the movie though, as that should also be irrelevant to the character.

And a sidenote: anyone who's read King knows that he has a massive problem with the black characters he writes, in that he always makes them over-the-top stereotypes or hilariously self-aware pseudo-black intellectuals. The Mr. Mercedes trilogy features a young black character who is a genius but goes on random tangents where he impersonates jive-talk, and constantly brings up racism out of nowhere. Clearly an example of King being socially conscious of his past stereotyping and hilariously trying to correct it unsuccessfully. Needless to say, Hollywood execs are smarter and know that if they portrayed Odell exactly as she appears in the books, libs would find it offensive. So it's much safer to have a strong black protagonist, as per usual.
>>
>>18305869
>>18305886
>>18305902
Bless your soul, anon.
I think it's time I pick up It and re-read it.
>>
>>18304602
>>18305512

There is no doubt in my mind that King had a massively fucked up childhood. It's been documented that he witnessed a friend get run over by a train when he was 4 and has since suppressed the memory, his family had to tell him that it happened at all. Meanwhile he was raised by a single mother (father left the family when he was 2), so it's highly plausible that his mom went through a string of boyfriends throughout his life, one of which could have molested King. Kind of a gross assumption, but that happens a lot in those situations and King is obviously obsessed with sex (particularly gay shit) in his writing. Given he spent most of the 80s heavily under the influence of whatever he could get his hands on, it makes sense that everything he suppressed would come to the forefront of his imagination.
>>
>>18305921
I was a little pissed at first but decided it's really not that big of a deal as long as they don't address it and get meta about it. I can see them side stepping Detta's racism by just making her split personality bat shit crazy and it should work out just fine. The film will only have a short time to start building the foundations for Eddie and Sussana's romance anyway.

I love the DT but I don't have high hopes for the movies and we need to remember the studio is going to place money and advertising over staying true to the books. This is about making money and not pandering to Stephen King nerds.
>>
>>18305923
Man I went through all of his books from age 13-16, that shit is ingrained in me. Unfortunately most of them aren't as good as I remember them, but IT was definitely one of his standout works, along with The Shining, The Stand, Rage, and other pre-sobriety books of his.

11/22/63 was the last one that truly captured the spirt of this early work (there's even a chapter where the main character visits Derry in the 50s and encounters some IT shit). Everything since has been way too corny, I really hate the Mr. Mercedes trilogy and find it to be an excuse to write the same story three times. I also found Revival to be incredibly disappointing, had such a great premise but a terrible ending, just like Under the Dome. I guess I'll read the one he's writing with his son to see if it's good, maybe Joe will pick up the torch.
>>
>>18305950
yeah I personally don't see DT being good, that whole series is probably the most difficult to adapt to the big screen. The first book was just Roland and Jake anyway, I don't know if they have plans to bring in the others right away.

But yeah, them making a big deal out of le black man protagonist will be stupid. It's like the beginning of Star Trek 3 when they show that Solo has a husband and Kirk gives that smug nod as if JJ Abrams and the writers are doing this amazing service for society. Even George Takei called them out on it, it served absolutely no purpose.
>>
Beep beep :3
>>
>>18306102
The DTS is set in a multiverse where infinite versions of everyone exist on various levels of the tower. Characters are insinuated to be reincarnated (Alain into Jake, Cuthbert into Eddie, Susan into Susannah) or reborn (Jakes numerous deaths yet memories transferring between different versions of himself). If you honestly believe that it is impossible for in one universe out of an infinite multiverse that Roland could be reborn (at the conclusion of his quest) black, you aren't reading the same books as the rest of us.

Frankly I am glad they are putting a black version of Roland on the screen. If it sucks ass, which historically King movies tend to do on screen, it won't hurt the loyal readers vision of Roland. On the other hand if it is a massive success (which is unlikely regardless of racial factors) then we have a new black hero, which we can afford to have.
>>
>>18304470
Picked this up before Halloween in preparation for Clownpocalypse. Didn't realize how massive it was, and I was already in the middle of another massive book, but I started it anyway.

The writing's alright I guess, I'm kind of a /lit snob. Also I'm not sure why this is considered scary. And yes I know the whole idea behind Pennywise's true nature. It's a cool idea. I just don't find the premise scary yet. Might curl up with it some more tonight, but honestly I get sick of 1950's nostalgia wanking and don't really look forward to reading about some fat kid running from bullies.

I'm really just in it for the child sex orgy.
>>
>>18306197
This movie is based on the books not some fucking multiverse you bull prepping cuck.
>>
Have you guys noted that in the Dark Tower trailer Roland already has the horn with him?
It's the new game +
>>
>>18305902
I feel like if I were Beverly I would've fucked the entire Loser's Club out of spite after the scene where her father chases her out of their house demanding her to take her pants off and accusing her of letting her friends bang her.
>>
i was really looking forward to the dark tower movie so much, then, thanks to this thread i found out they're making roland a fucking nigger. he is the least niggery character ever, this is a travesty. i will not even be able to watch the movie now. so mad.
>>
>>18305921
Never said he was a bad actor, but in this case, the color of his skin actually matters. He is a descendant of king arthur, and he is portrayed after clint eastwood, sure clint is too old, but have you seen hugh jackman? he could be clints son on any day of the week.. Call me a racist for not liking how they switched things up with a black gunslinger and a white Susannah (and I assume a black Mia??), but I grew old with these books, and I'm afraid hollywood will ruin it..

For me the perfect cast would be:
Hugh Jackman as Roland
Aaron Paul as Eddie
The cop Chick from Luke Cage as Susannah
The kid who fell in love with the freak in Stranger Things as Jake
>>
>>18304470
It's good. It showcases a bunch of tropes of brooding writers and coming of age stuff.
>>
>>18306197
Who are the"we" you are talking about, you faggy american?
>>
>>18304470
>beep beep
>honk honk
>not knowing how a clown beeps or honks his nose lol
>>
>>18306569
>they will never make Clint Eastwoods son Roland
BUT GOY WE HAVE A GREAT ACTOR IN MIND AND HIS PAY IS IN BANANAS HE PRACTICALLY WORKS FOR FREEEEE
>>
>>18306581
That sounds like a good casting why aren't you working casting in Hollywood goy?
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQeBFmPuSU
>>
>>18305954
Yeah, I have a whole ton of his shit on my book shelf, It was definitely one of my favorites from his, as well as The Stand.
I read a bunch of it when I was younger but haven't read it in a while
>>
>>18306852
Probably because I'm a broke university student in europe
>>
File: IMG_20161105_010514.jpg (336KB, 1080x1080px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161105_010514.jpg
336KB, 1080x1080px
>>18304582
Nah man, Bev only fucked the whole group so she could bone Ben. She wanted that fat boy dick, nah mean?
>>
>>18306891
that guy is fucking annoying, holy shit. Why did i watch 5 minutes of that??
>>
File: 1445029267818.jpg (16KB, 401x381px) Image search: [Google]
1445029267818.jpg
16KB, 401x381px
>>18307403
Man, I can't wait for the payoff of all Ben's pining for Bev.
>>
>>18304535

Irrespective of my thoughts on King, I found the film to really be lacking in comparison to the book.
>>
Gonna bump this thread for later, since I've been skimming the book again after /x/ started obsessing over the clown sightings. Glancing at this thread, though, I hope we're going to discuss more than just the jailbait orgy.
>>
File: 29.jpg (65KB, 720x405px) Image search: [Google]
29.jpg
65KB, 720x405px
>>18304506
I dunno, anon. I was a kid when I read IT so the Bev part didn't bother me at all. Maybe if I read it as an adult first it would seem kind of creepish, but I always felt that Stephen King novels were really geared towards young teens. The older I got the less interesting he became to me as an author.

The ending of the novel kinda pissed me off. King must've really been hitting the crack pipe back then. I mean, dragons fucking and shit. What the hell?
>>
>>18304470
I found the part of the burning barn and the giant bird with balloon tongue really scary desu
>>
>>18306581

Hugh Jackman has a LOT of skin cancer. I'd be surprised if he did much more acting. There's already word going around that Logan will be his last time playing Wolverine.
>>
>>18305556
Salem's lot
>>
The bev scene can be explained simply, she has daddy issues hence she turned into a slut. Done. Brave steph
>>
>>18306254
new fag
>>
File: children-of-the-corn.26673.jpg (128KB, 1100x1614px) Image search: [Google]
children-of-the-corn.26673.jpg
128KB, 1100x1614px
I don't mean side track.
Anyone else feel like "He who walks behind the rows" is possibly the same creature or species that it was?
He was the "corn god" in children of the corn.
>>
>>18309532
That giant bird fucking haunts me to this day. I dont even remember why, I just remember being spooked.
>>
>>18309768

No. It was something else, but something nasty certainly.
>>
>>18309768
According to the wiki, he who walks behind the rows might be randall flagg.
>>
>>18309574
That's not word going around, he said he won't play wolverine anymore because he is tired of keeping himself in shape to be able to grin and tear people apart shirtless... However if you think about it, who could be a better Roland than a sick old man?
>>
Exactly how different is The Shining from its movie counterpart? I know that King hated the film, so I can only assume the book sucks major shit.
>>
>>18310416
King more recently went back on his opinion for Kubrick's movie.
It's different enough to have less of a horror feel and more of a story about a father and a son's love. The movie is a better horror story
>>
>>18304470
>>18304506
The orgy is important for what the whole book is about, "it"
What "it" is separates kids from adults, As for all the friends, they are all relative for being a group of misfits that banded together, Derry wasn't kind to Jewish people and racism wasn't subtle at the time period. The fact that Derry breeds a special hatred that boils up to make people do horrible acts, such as the gay guy that was brutally murdered, makes the differences they have scary because of how there already is an underlying dislike for some that make them more vulnerable.
>>
File: IT art.jpg (117KB, 350x500px) Image search: [Google]
IT art.jpg
117KB, 350x500px
>>18304470
>What's the meaning of "beep beep,
its a polite way of telling richie to shut up. Probably a road runner/cartoon reference but more likely just slang from the 50s

they needed a well rounded group of "losers" and flawed characters. You couldt just have bill and a few others kicking ass. Stan was a pussy untimely who overcame his fears the first time and mike was the town negro. They were a rag tag group of kids, thats the point

>the section where they all fuck Bev
been debated on /tv/ and /lit/ for months if not years. The best arguemnt is they transitioned from childhood to adulthood by doing that, and also regained their unity. IT uses fear to attack children when kids stand up to IT, its not as powerful. After the first ritual of the chud they were exhausted and scared and lost in the sewers. a gang bang was a way for them to come together again. Nothing clears you head like busting a nut
also king was on tons of drugs at the time, if it wasnt obvious. So theres that
>>
>>18305550
no, I dont eve care for the /pol/ "white genocide" boogeyman but this is blatant cookie points for hollywood to pat themselves on the back. At least hes a good actor so it wont be completely terrible
>>
>>18305869
this
>Mike hanlon
>stays behind to live in derry and keeps tabs on things as a fucking librarian
>the others move away and become rich and successful
>never marries or has kids in case IT comes back to eat them
>does his own detective work on the history of IT
>bites the bullet and calls back everyone to fight IT wen it retruns
>nearly dies for it
>unimportant
Mike is the underdog of the story
>>
>>18306211
its a lot of 50's nostalgia circle jerking but once the ball gets rolling with the history of derry and IT's murders it gets much better. Just get past the intro where they introduce the characters, it'll be worth it
>>
>>18304470

You don't remember lucky 7 being mentioned in the book? During the Apoc Rockfight Mike joins the Losers and the "circle closes". As agents of the Turtle I suppose they have more power as 7. Maybe even It's evil is fueled by the number 3, hence Henry Belch and Victor.
>>
>>18304506

No, I'm setting this straight once and for all. The power of the Turtle was dissipating after they beat It the first time. It was this power that allowed them to not become lost or afraid. So when they're making their way back to the surface they would've gotten completely lost and died, because at this point they're just normal kids lost deep beneath the city. They're not being aided by a higher power. Beverly fucking everyone was her way of bringing the magic momentarily back to the group of 7 kids. This magic allowed them to remember the way back to the surface.

If you remember after the adult sequence when they beat It once and for all, everyone starts forgetting everything pretty quickly. This is what was happening on a smaller scale in 1957. The act of love-making/losing their virginity was essential somehow to bring the magic back so they could escape the tunnels.
>>
>>18305401

Behold the Turtle of enormous girth!
On his shell he holds the Earth!

That's from the Dark Tower series. Its real name is Maturin and it's one of the 12 Guardians of the Beam but I'm not sure King had this connection in mind when writing It. I believe he just wanted to write a Lovecraftian semi-apathetic god into the novel and the Turtle is what we got. It does seem to have some kind of magical power in aiding heroes though. The ka-tet use a small scrimshaw turtle to sort of hypnotize people in the DT series.
>>
>>18305524

Mordred didn't use deadlights in the novels. He was just a human/spider hybrid that used whatever physical form to kill things: mostly vermin to eat and at full maturation he used his spider form to (try to) kill his enemies. Remember that his mother is Mia and his father is essentially Roland. Mia was the demon that Roland had to fuck in the first DT book, and I suppose his seed was used to impregnate Mia. No connection with It at all.

Dandelo has SOME connection with It but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. His whole gig is using people's own emotions to kill them, especially laughter. Whereas It uses fear. Maybe having a robot named Stuttering Bill is actually just a homage but the first time I read that sequence I was sure Dandelo was the guise of It in End-World.
>>
>>18304470
You ask for a serious discussion of IT, and you act like some kind of /pol/ retard over black and Jewish characters? Jesus.
>>
>>18305556

>Dark Tower series
Not a good read, a humbling read. Top 3 series of all time.
>Eyes of the Dragon
Neat little modern fairy tale I've always loved.
>The Long Walk
My girlfriend is pretentious as fuck but even she said she couldn't put this down. It's SO GOOD and just begging to be adapted into a film. I can actually see the Apocalypse Now style of cinematography in my head if and when it's adapted. Man what a great story. Written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman.

>Pretty Good Tier
Insomnia, The Stand, The Running Man (totally different tone than the shitty Schwarzenegger film, also written under the pseudonym Richard Bachman), The Shining, then get the "Different Seasons" compilation. The real gems from that one are the short stories "The Body" (basically Stand By Me in short story form, but better), and "Apt Pupil".
>>
>>18305921
>goes on random tangents where he impersonates jive-talk
Actually, I've noticed in a LOT of his books, he has characters who have internal monologues that become like, hip-talk. It gets annoying after a while.
>>
>>18306259

What trailer?? Link it please!
>>
>>18306569
Are you 12? I know it's cool to be racist on 4chan, but still.
>>
>>18309825
Everyone and his mother is Randall Flagg.
>>
File: pennywise.png (96KB, 200x177px) Image search: [Google]
pennywise.png
96KB, 200x177px
>>18310486
That part was so creepy.
>>
>>18305556
geralds game is underrated and misery. Also the langoliers is great
>>
The bev gangbang is a rite of passage, by defeating IT they became adults, and the entering in the adulthood means, among other things, being sexually active, so the sex scene was their last step into adulthood, Ben refuses to make this step, but he eventually repent this decisions, and with this regret in mind he grows to become the most childlike of the seven, he have a successful life, but he's also edonistic and self-destructive
>>
>>18305556
The Long Walk is his best shortish novel.

I liked 11/22/63 but it's way too long - the first third of it is such a slog.

Misery is good but the movie is better imo.
>>
>>18305921
>big guy
The fire rises
>>
>>18311163
I can't recommend Gerald's Game enough. Honestly I think it is the most genuinely frightening of his books. The sense of isolation, vulnerability and fear; the absolutely unknown horror of the "monster". It haunted me, and I still think about it on dark nights in my isolated cabin.
>>
File: IT 1927 poster.jpg (38KB, 300x461px) Image search: [Google]
IT 1927 poster.jpg
38KB, 300x461px
It's even harder to find people to talk about this.
>>
do i really got to post it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLQeBFmPuSU

lol
>>
>>18305416
>>18304470
Exactly, there is a dark tower wiki out there that helped explain to me more of the movie and make me want to read the book. Seems IT and the Turtle are two separate beings that are a natural occurrence force of the universe. They may think of themselves as deities but it is more of a part of everything as they feed off of the beliefs of mortals.
>>
>>18305742
>>are you racist anon
>>in 4chan
>>
u guise think the sightings are related
>>
>>18304847
It was this. They all lost their virginity at the end of the sewers to kill off the innocence of childhood and to make It's hold on them diminish.
Remember that adults aren't usually able to see It and have no power over It because of their loss of childlike mentality and imagination. They had to come together again and try to regain that state of mind to tap into everything required to kill It off once and for all.
>>
>>18311525
The original it girl, poor ha
>>
>>18311112
Thank you, only a quarter of the way through IT and it's getting really annoying.
>>
>>18304470
My question is... why does dan simmons use so many Oz references? The endings to the cantos just weirds me out so much
>>
>>18311502
It's hard for me to get scared while reading a book. Give me skinwalker or sasquatch stories though....
>>
>>18305298
No, Mike had the encounter with the bird. Stanley's was getting trapped in the stand pipe with the dead drowned kids. I think... Its been a while since I read It.
>>
>>18312181
Gerald's Game is basically an extended skinwalker story, with the protagonist literally chained to a location and unable to leave.
>>
>>18312232
You're right. He probably got confused because Stanley recited the names of birds from his book.
>>
>>18311053
shit when i said both i meant IT and the crimson king.. only brought up mordred there to point out that the offspring of the crimson king is a spider just like IT
>>
>>18304470
I read it. The scariest thing was the guy who thought he was the only real thing in the world, and everything was a product of his imagination. For some reason I found the idea terrifying at the time.
>>
Can't wait for the Henry/Patrick gay scene in the film.
>>
>>18304506
Completely agree. As much as I like the ideas behind some of King's works, I really don't like his writing STYLE at all. A friend of mine and I have concluded a while ago that King's stories are good - he is just not the right person to tell them. It's like giving a prophecy to the town drunkard.
>>
>>18316447
I'm kind of half and half on this. From what I've read of his bibliography, which is admittedly still not much, he can write some things really well, then veer off and go full retard on other things, or get too obnoxious with his style. I suppose it's an acquired taste. He may be the granddaddy of modern horror, but that doesn't mean he's beyond critique.
>>
Anyone else thinks there is a connection between IT and the emotion vampire librarian who drinks the tears of children in one of his novels?
>>
>>18317303
Yeah read the Dark Tower series...
>>
>>18318258
I can't recall anything from the DT series connected to Ardelia Lortz from 4 past midnight
>>
Pennywise was a breaker

What bothers be about Roland being black in the movie, other than everything; is that it takes away from the actual black "not exactly gunslinger " speedy from the black house duallogy
>>
File: 1424674635829.jpg (170KB, 720x960px) Image search: [Google]
1424674635829.jpg
170KB, 720x960px
>>18304506
>It's like he's a edge lord or something.
lol fucking duh
>>
>>18311712
>>18304847
I like this. ty
>>
File: 1412528108977.jpg (370KB, 790x580px) Image search: [Google]
1412528108977.jpg
370KB, 790x580px
>>18305902
>>18305886
good stuff anon
>>
>>18311363
>The Long Walk is his best shortish novel.
i need to read this again. it was a great read as a 17 year old kid.
Thread posts: 124
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.