[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

ITT: Places that feel "off," in an /x/-y kind of way

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 11

File: UP.jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
UP.jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
ITT: Places that feel "off," in an /x/-y kind of way

IMHO the one place I've been to that really defines that feeling is the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. The whole time I was backpacking there I felt this vague since of dread, like I wasn't supposed to be there.

Beautiful place though.
>>
File: Prybiat.png (2MB, 1326x613px) Image search: [Google]
Prybiat.png
2MB, 1326x613px
will bump with a rather obvious one:

Prypjat

I am sure everybody knows that place (it is the ghost town next to the Chernobyl NPP)

Places like this are equally creepy and beautiful to me. It is just the way how fast nature takes back its space and how unforgiving mistakes are handled.
And if you believe in ghosts, I think this place would literally be a ghost town.

Although it is hard to visit, you can check it out right now. It has surprisingly good google streetview coverage

https://www.google.de/maps/@51.4079163,30.0557308,333m/data=!3m1!1e3
>>
>>18304352
Crouch End and Highgate, London, UK
>>
>>18304426

I like how most mammals/animals would wither and die there, but those trees are thriving. How is it the radiation doesn't affect their cellular activity?
>>
>>18304429
why?

I've been there iirc and it seemed pretty normal
>>
>>18304441
>I like how most mammals/animals would wither and die there
Thats not really the case. The overall radiation levels arent that high and it is hard to judge how it affects wildlife. Also turns out, that radiation is not as bad as humans, since some populations increased significantly
>>
this place:
>>18304783
>>
up
>>
Little Saint John Island in the US Virgin Islands.
>>
>>18305333
Is that the pedophile/occult ritual club place?
>>
>>18304352
Northern Idaho is the same way. You've got areas that get a ton of tourists/travellers from lower idaho, and then there's areas where you've got nobody at all.

There's a hot spring up there that I go to around this time of year that is absolutely abandoned. I sit there and smoke (inb4 hurr drugs lmao) and it starts feeling really alien after a while.
>>
Crater lake with that log that's always upright freaks me the hell out in ways I don't even understand.
>>
>>18304352
My friend took his girlfriend into the backwoods of a State park a few months ago for some illegal camping. Said that the first night they woke up to something big walking through their camp breaking branches 7-8ft off the ground. Said when it moved it sounded like wet nylon on grass. They were too busy shitting themselves to look and see what it was. Any idea what it could be?
>>
>>18304352
The majority of yoopers have Finnish ancestry, in fact it's the only place in America with a significant amount at all. That feeling of dread is called social anxiety and it's what happens to Finns when they come in contact with other Finns.
I'm sorry anon, this means you're part Finnish.
And also autistic.
>>
Rockefeller Center, Denver Intl. Airport
>>
The coastal forests of Oregon seem eerily perfect to me. The temperature stays around the mid 60s even in August, and I don't remember hearing or seeing any birds or insects while I was in them. It's inviting with the bright light that shines through the canopy but looks almost mythical or ancient with the ferns, mosses, and evergreens everywhere
>>
File: 1458347517978.jpg (109KB, 720x540px) Image search: [Google]
1458347517978.jpg
109KB, 720x540px
>>18304426
>Places like this are equally creepy and beautiful to me. It is just the way how fast nature takes back its space

My niggie.

>Slowly broken windows returning to the sand,
>the economic factors are no longer relevant.
>That empty city sound is so frightening.
>Neolithic fear is such a motivating factory.
>>
File: dartmoor-bowermans-nose.jpg (53KB, 720x276px) Image search: [Google]
dartmoor-bowermans-nose.jpg
53KB, 720x276px
Moors/marshes scare me shitless. Went walking up in the new forest, UK, and the foggy marsh coupled with the horses and the quiet just spooked me out
>>
>>18304515
Not the anon that you replied to, but there's a short story by Steven King called crouch end. Could be an oblique reference to that
>>
I lived in the U.P. for 18 years. That feeling of dread is because there is nothing fucking there. It never goes away.
>>
>>18304352
all of the midwest
i hate it here
>>
Dense rainforests (like in South America) are absolutely gorgeous and always so active, so lively and full of sounds... But once you realize that you're always within arm's reach of a mortal animal, it really puts our vulnerability into perspective.

And then there are the rainforest spirits and one should absolutely not fuck with them.
>>
File: imageSrc.adapt.687.medium.jpg (51KB, 687x386px) Image search: [Google]
imageSrc.adapt.687.medium.jpg
51KB, 687x386px
>>18304352

I used to live in Tasmania.

The whole place is fucking weird. The South West especially.

This movie got the feel right;

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KgfB9kebFNI

It has a very unusual environment. Near antarctic temperatures, tropical wildlife, regular bush, snow, rainforest, all sort of jammed in together. And of course, barely touched by humans.

Frankly not that many animals either once you go deep.
>>
File: herzog-3.png (372KB, 500x371px) Image search: [Google]
herzog-3.png
372KB, 500x371px
>>18308567

The South American jungles terrify me. They're so violent and debased.

Werner Herzog summed it up pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ze9-ARjL-ZA
>>
>>18308604
Fellow Tasbro, still stuck here.

anon is right, there's chunks of this state that just feel completely off (especially west/sw)
>>
>>18308604
>>18308779
Not to mention most high country communities have an incredibly standoffish vibe, even the tourist traps have an underlying menace to them.
The fuck-your-shit terrain doesn't help either; it'd be stupidly easy to "disappear" if you pissed off enough locals.
>>
Japanese Shrines, I went to a few when I visited, but there was a constant sense of unease and not belonging especially at the rural mountain shrine.
Also Northern California coast, something about it isn't right.
>>
Almost any place in Western Maryland barely has any service, and its not even that remote like Alaska or Montana, its just this chunk that randomly doesn't have service, and there's so much forest that there's a possibility for any number of mysterious mythical creatures living there, that big unfinished Noahs ark is strange too.

South-western New Jersey is pretty strange in ways I cant really explain, there are plenty of abandoned buildings Ive seen as well, maybe its because I'm not from that area
>>
not anything specific, but hell yeah with liminal spaces
places that our brains consider "throughways," like, youve hit what your mind considers a beginning, and havent hit the end yet. according to your brain they really have no definitive place outside of their relationship to the spaces you are coming from and going to. things like supermarkets in the middle of the night, empty schools, hospital waiting rooms, etc. because we’re not really supposed to be in them for a long time we subconsciously dont really think about them as their own separate spaces, and when we do they seem odd and out of place
like, weird and creepy
>>
>>18306005
>I'm sorry anon, this means you're part Finnish.
I actually am loool

t. OP
>>
>>18304441
The soil around Chernobyl is darker than soil elsewhere. Why? Because the fungi around there somehow remembered a skill they'd forgotten about: The ability to produce electrons for ATP synthesis using gamma radiation.
>>
File: aokigahara2.jpg (301KB, 1500x996px) Image search: [Google]
aokigahara2.jpg
301KB, 1500x996px
Aokigahara forest, obviously.

I'd say quite a few places in Japan have odd feelings to them - Arashiyama, Koyasan, and strangely enough Pallet Town (an artificial island in Tokyo). There's a weird feeling of out-of-placeness to the whole area, and the fact that there's a strange occult shop selling Klan, Freemason, Nazi, and Christian paraphernalia makes it even weirder.
>>
File: pallette town.jpg (216KB, 1500x996px) Image search: [Google]
pallette town.jpg
216KB, 1500x996px
>>18309827
Pallet Town for reference. The weather on this day didn't help the eerie factor.
>>
File: occult.jpg (75KB, 637x960px) Image search: [Google]
occult.jpg
75KB, 637x960px
>>18309830
And the weird occult shop
>>
An pre columbian Inca city, can't remember the name.
The first time was awesome, there was this tree growing between two rocks on top of a hill, nice view. The second hill had stone steps and a shitty view. They were Moon and Sun if I was misinformed correctly.
I wanted to see how the city was planned, I wanted to know why did the "chief" lived in the shittiest part, and all alone.

The second time I went directly to the top of Sun hill, don't know why. When I got there, there was this. male goat. with females all around. He was meters away, yet, on the top of another hill. I was mesmerized, I think that is the right word. I kept mirin' at how BOSS he looked. He had a fucking perfect circle of respect around him.
Anyway, behind him, in the distance there was this pattern. It looked man made (straight lines). I wanted to check it out, I wanted to find a copper knife. These motherfuckers HAD them, I didn't want the fucking threading coral shit that had traveled at least 2.000km. on foot, nor the pieces of vase. I WANTED THAT GOLD.

So I walked, till I was out of light and water. When I ran out of water I started walking back. I got back safely, cracked lips, sore throat.

That place fucked me up, the sounds echoed the wrong way, the temperature fluctuated notably, my ears would pop out of nowhere (no altitude change).
This is still the only time in my life that I ran out of water before noticing.

By the way, I live in a high altitude dry area, I KNOW things that are inhumanly far appear close. I just thought I wasn't greedy.
>>
Tonopah, NV and the surrounding desert
>>
Not me but way back in the early 60s my grandmother did some traveling around Europe. She said that she had the strangest sensation when she visited the coliseum in Rome. She told me should could actually hear a massive crowd of people. My grandmother isn't a strange woman, she doesn't just talk out of her ass. She told me that she got the strangest feeling that she had been there before in the past. I say it was either reincarnation or she tapped into some genetic memory from an ancient ancestor.
>>
>>18305916
yep
>>
I've sat on Bob Marley's meditation rock. May have just been placebo but I definitely felt different energy.
>>
>>18308623
I have never heard of this person before, he seems very thoughtful and intriguing, thank you
>>
Tucson, the scenery of the desert there. The airplane boneyard on the air force base too, especially at night
>>
The Rogue Valley in Oregon
>>
>>18308604
In launceston. Been here 5 or so years with my kids and girl. Fucking strange places out north and south. There is a place on the north east coast. Hiking 2 hours just to get there. Beautiful cabin right on the beach,first night there someone or thing was trying to get in. I man up and go look. See something bound into the water from all 4s and then swim faster than i have ever seen a man.
>>
>>18310159
Spooky as fuck. We booked it out the next morning. Felt like we were being watched.
>>
>>18310159
Also based in Launceston, where did you see that?
>>
>>18310159
>>18310221
Sounds like some shit that goes on out near Cradle, the deep innawoods parts are downright freaky
>>
File: 1476189203492.gif (327KB, 834x870px) Image search: [Google]
1476189203492.gif
327KB, 834x870px
>>18310154

> never heard of Werner Herzog

Huh.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=zWH_9VRWn8Y
>>
Black mountain in north Queensland, Australia
>>
>>18305974
Sasquatch
>>
>>18310157
can you be more specific? my husband says this too.
>>
If anything, most of these posts just show how detached people are from nature
>>
All y'all might like the short story "The Willows" by Algernon Blackwood.
>>
>>18310652
Ooh he wrote the Wendigo right? I'll definitely check it out
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.