[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So, I've always had this doubt. Nostradamus, was he the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 1

File: download.jpg (11KB, 225x225px) Image search: [Google]
download.jpg
11KB, 225x225px
So, I've always had this doubt. Nostradamus, was he the real deal, just a crazy fucker, or a bloody bastard just tricking everyone around here.

General prophets discussion
>>
Bumpin' again, just because
>>
another bump interested
>>
>>18275172
You want to know about Nostradamus?

Step one - buy a copy of the Complete Prophecies of Nostradamus. Get a copy with the original text side-by-side with the translations. Try to get a Hogue translation, or a translation at least 20 to 25 years old. The reason you want an old translation is because everybody who translates Nostradamus wants to make it apply to their current time. For example, if you get a translation from 2008, you'll get a bunch of "OMG 9/11" translations and a bunch of terrorist shit in the future. If you get a translation from 1987, it will be full of crap about nuclear war and Russia. It doesn't really matter, because in step 2, we're going to ignore all that.

Step 2 - Learn enough French, Greek, and Latin to be able to tell what makes sense and what doesn't. You don't have to speak these languages, or be particularly good with them. You just need to be able to look at a phrase in French and a phrase in English side by side and call bullshit on a bad translation. If I say, "Le chat mange du poisson," and tell you it translates to "Hillary Clinton is a bee-yotch," you don't really need to know the actual translation, just enough to know I'm full of crap. The Greek and Latin are less important. You should be familiar with word roots, stems and prefixes, basically. Nostradamus was a medical doctor and uses a lot of Greek. Latin comes from the church, obviously.

Step 3 - Read up on the time period in which Nostradamus lived. (Mid 16th century in France.) Have a working knowledge of the political power players and what was going on. That was his intended audience, and he's writing for them.

Step 4 - At this point, you should be using the English translations as a rough guide, but actually reading the French quatrains. Keeping in mind his time period and audience, you can discard probably 75-80% of his work as being only pertinent to his own "here and now." (Cont...)
>>
>>18275746

(Cont...)

Focus on the quatrains that jump out at you with strong anachronisms. For example, 2Q5 talks about an "iron fish" and a fleet that travels beneath the waves.

Nostradamus was "real" in the sense that he actually existed and wrote a ton of predictive quatrains. They sold like hot cakes. Whether or not he predicted the future is one of those things that each person needs to determine for themselves.
>>
>>18275763
>Whether or not he predicted the future is one of those things that each person needs to determine for themselves.
>iron fish
>fleet beneath waves
U-Boats existed, and modern subs exist. That's enough proof for me
>>
>>18276491
I wouldn't call that a real "prediction" in the seer since, more just an observation about future technologies. There was a sub that was used back in the civil war and I'm sure people of that time had many thoughts about using the same thing.

Unless he's saying: "Iron beasts beneath the water, harnessing the power of the sun, carrying great arrows of immense destruction.", it's not really much of a premonition.

It's just future technological speculation.
>>
>>18276568
*sense
>>
>>18275172
Nostradamus is a fraud just like every single human being who claims they can see something no one else can. They do this because they want to feel special, because deep down they know they're just as normal and stupid as everyone else.
>>
It helps that so much of it is vague, so people can make it fit after the fact. I just googled to find some random shit---

>Against the red ones sects will conspire,
Fire, water, steel, rope through peace will weaken:

This is about the Cold War
The red ones are the communists, fire, water, and steel is obvious nuclear energy and power,

The rope binds the nations of the Soviet block, which weakened and was ultimately snapped through peace (political,economic, and nuclear and other military buildup without actual war)

I just made up that interpretation, pulled it out of my ass. After you do this a few times yourself, the mystery starts to lose its appeal.
>>
I always thought Nostradamus shit was just so much left to interpretation, the most interesting prophet I've read about is that blind Siberian lady Baba Vanga.
>>
>>18275172
Nostradamus combined two things:

1. Making shittons of predictions
2. Making the predictions extremely vague

These two alone basically guarantee that you're going to make hundreds of “accurate” predictions. (Don't worry about the thousands of wrong predictions, nobody reading the tabloids of the future is going to care about those)

Also, make your predictions about extreme or catastrophic events - because people will be far more likely to look at your work after such a catstrophe to try and see if you “predicted” it. Nobody is going to remember checking for a prediction like “the pope is going to eat an orange on the first sunday of 2050”, but people are going to check for predictions like “the sky will fall from the ground and burn the nonbelievers” after a satellite crashes or something
>>
But didn't he predict a world war starting in Germany led by a man named "Hisler"? I get that the war and Germany references could be vague stuff, but missing the guy's name by only one letter is a pretty good trick.
>>
>>18276937

Thats a false meme promoted by schlocky tv shows from the 90's and early 2000's, sometimes repeated but still false.

It was actually Hister, and it's debunked here

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hister
>>
>>18276947
for those who don't feel like reading the wiki

---------------------------------

This is often interpreted to be a prediction of the war against Adolf Hitler's Nazi state in the twentieth century. However, none of the reputable sources listed support this view. In fact all of them point out that the name 'Hister' (as Nostradamus himself explains in his Almanac for 1554[2]) in fact refers in his writings to the Danube, being mentioned (as elsewhere[3]) alongside 'R[h]in'

So Nostradamus has earlier mentions of Hister before this as a river close to the Rhine, and he does the same thing in this one quatrain that sperglords love to spout as magic divination of the Nazis.

What is useful divination anyway? Is it when people make meanings of your ramblings after something actually happens? Not really impressive or helpful if you ask me.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.