[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

A year ago, I experienced something extremely strange and intense,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

File: get_picture.jpg (29KB, 724x468px) Image search: [Google]
get_picture.jpg
29KB, 724x468px
A year ago, I experienced something extremely strange and intense, which I never experienced before or after (I'm 29 years old). It lasted about five days for the peak of the experience.

at the time I became interested in zen buddhism. Read some books about it. I was not praticing meditation much though, but I tried in my everyday life to live my life with spontaneity without encumbering my head with thoughts. I've done this for a month, when life started to feel progressively dreamlike.

And then I woke up someday and started to feel a pressure, some kind of activity on top of my forehead. I feld deeply elated, energetic, liberated. Changes in my body and my "soul" seemed to happen. I felt reborn, all my senses purified.

It seemed I could now see in much more detail, and I could see profound, eternal beauty in everything. Walking in nature was like walking in heaven, or fairyland. Sound was different too, especially music. My emotions were really intense and profound in a way I could not describe in words, it was like a religious experience. Or rather, I felt exactly like when I was a really young child, all those feelings were coming flooding back.
>>
Also I was given multiple insights. These are not philosophical ideas, but things that seemed clearly evident to me even though I could not tell why, and I am not sure today if I how I feel about those things.

- Life is a big joke or a game, there is nothing to be serious about. We are living under some kind of hypnosis. There is nothing to be anxious about. Even if the world collapsed tomorrow it would be alright.

-There is no really such thing as free will. We are part of a big intricate process that is flowing through us. Choice is a kind of illusion. But instead of feeling restrained by that, I felt liberated. I felt like I can just "dance" through life and worry less about making mistakes.

-Death is an illusion. You are indestructible. When you die you come back, just like in a video game when your avatar dies.

-Time is an illusion.

So I was wondering if anyone here has any idea to what happened to me. It seems like enlightment but from what I read about it, it was not supposed to be something so overwhelming, so different from every day experience. I think I will spend my lifetime processing what happened. I tried to speak to people about it, but no one seemed to be interested or dismissed that as a simple episode of delirium.
>>
sounds like a natural euphoria, i had that. after the first experience i caught depression. apparently it's a warning sign.
>>
I'd call that an awakening experience.
>>
>>18268679
>-Death is an illusion. You are indestructible. When you die you come back, just like in a video game when your avatar dies.

explain this

Ive studied zen and two and three dont seem like zen depending on how you mean them. maybe your book is old man
>>
There's free will OP, although it is limited while you're incarnate
>>
File: 1474753987234.jpg (2MB, 1067x1600px) Image search: [Google]
1474753987234.jpg
2MB, 1067x1600px
>>18268677
had something similar happen to me as a very young person while praying. i used to wonder a lot what it meant, etc but over time the experience has become a sort of centering point

i would venture to say that you will never fully process what happened, but the experience will be a comfort and a source of strength for you nonetheless

since there is nothing to be serious about, as you said - and i am inclined to agree - keep playing with these insights, keep learning and enjoying life. :)
>>
>-Death is an illusion. You are indestructible. When you die you come back, just like in a video game when your avatar dies.
You're a delusional faggot who wastes too much time on trivial non productive things. It's influenced the way you think to be disconnected from reality. Grow a pair and stop hiding you worthless piece of subhuman trash.
>>
>>18269210

Something tells me you are lacking in books and deodorant.
>>
>>18269221
>Books and Deodorant
Oh boohoo someone doesn't agree with you. I bet it really hurts the fee fees when you get criticized for being a moronic knave? I didn't intend to trigger you, just wanted to point out something obvious
>>
>>18269233
>knave
>>
>>18268677
Zen poetry is intended to create mindfulness and awareness in the same way meditation does. That's why zen buddhists had all these real traditions that actually worked before it got meme'd into decoration and new wave pseudo
>>
>>18269243
new wave pseudo religion.
>>
>>18269238
>Current year of the modern day of 2015 + 1
>Not knowing what a knave is
Pleb
>>
>>18269238
Kek
>>
>>18269210
>>18269233
>>18269247
Holy shit you should legitimately kill yourself
>>
>>18268687
I had a long depression after that too. I've recovered fully only recently, I had to take meds; Can you describe more what happened to you? How long did it last ?

>>18268821
Maybe, but the funny thing is today I don't feel any different than I was before this happened. But maybe that's not supposed to be the case.

>>18269169
Well I can't really defend or explain this idea because I was'nt exposing it as an intellectual idea in my post but rather as instinctive insights I felt plainly obvious during this experience. But now I just can't put my finger on why I felt that way, I just had no mortal fear left in me. I heard stories of some people who came back from NDEs and felt that way, it's interesting to me.

>>18269195
I can't contradict you on that nor agree, I just don't know. But I think it's an interesting subject to investigate. I remember hearing Alan Watts say something like "Freedom is precisely the state of not having to choose, choice is the act of hesitation we make before making a decision", but I don't remember the name of the talk.

>>18269207
Thanks for the kind words, I'm still in the state of wondering what it meant and if I could/should make use of it. Can you tell more about your experience?

>>18269210
I was expecting this kind of post. You made me kek
>>
>>18269267
Ow that edge cut me. Faggot.
>>
File: 1456877523759.jpg (87KB, 640x633px) Image search: [Google]
1456877523759.jpg
87KB, 640x633px
>>18268679
you sound like me on acid
>>
>>18268677
Are you serious ?! I'm a Buddhist myself, been practicing for 6 months already and nothing like this has happened to me
>>
>>18271367
Hahaha same.
>>
>>18268677

Anon I think this may have been connected a psychotic episode. I sort of felt similar to this sometimes around the time I was suffering from a psychotic breakdown.
>>
How does one become unenlightened and go back to their old self?

I'm hoping I won't have to come back to this wretched place . I am not done experiencing unconsciousness. To many things I still want to do
>>
>>18268677
kind of similar thing here, but no enlightement euphoria shit

its a very strange and vivid feeling that comes accompanied with a mental picture, it lasts like microseconds, but its completely overwhelming

its like this BEYOND REAL being, thing, word, concept, all at the same time, that brings undescribable fear (because you "remember" you've wronged it) and awe at the same time

the mental image looks like some sort of "#" sign but with many more lines, and it stands over a kind of sea of some really dark, deathly stuff

this lasts for a fraction of a second in which i feel that if i were to stay too much time in contact with this image/feeling, i would not only die, but my soul would burn away

when it goes away its always followed by a sense of relief and second-chance, and some kind of abstract notion of life being a diffused version of it, a kind of watered-down, non soul-burning contact with the "#" thingy
>>
File: NOPE.gif (3MB, 240x135px) Image search: [Google]
NOPE.gif
3MB, 240x135px
Fellow zen obsessed fool over here. What you are describing is a typical stepping stone on the way to actual enlightenment. It's nice to have experiences like this but you should not attribute special importance to it, consider it your "ultimate awakening" or anything stupid like that. Just keep on meditating and focus on killing the idea of the Buddha within your mind.

http://hardcorezen.info/theres-more-to-meditation-than-meditation/4191

Stuff like this happens to everyone who does zazen/mindful sitting long enough. It's the brain struggling to understand the act of truly doing nothing, and you'll get some exciting feedback. But it is just that, feedback. Continue to focus on your practice, and see if you can use what you learned in your "experience" to help yourself be more mindful.
>>
what can I do, to continue on my path of unenlightment?
>>
>>18272133
Stop asking questions will do the trick
>>
>>18268677
The experience of the third eye is a tactile illusion based on something like a feedback loop between expectation and perception. Imagine yourself biting into a lemon and imagining how sour it tastes. You start to salivate. It's somewhat similar to that. My experience with other things such as inducing the feeling of movement via visualization reinforced this interpretation. I think that many mystical experiences are like this: self-induced perception-bending. This interpretation led to me figuring out a way to replicate it that works in many others, that was also independently figured out by many others on the internet.

Point a pencil at your forehead just above the brow. Imagine how sharp it will feel as vividly while focusing your awareness on your forehead - you want to create a vivid anticipation of a sensation. You should feel a tingling sensation. If this doesn't work use a knife to really create that expectation, if that doesn't work use a mirror, if that doesn't work have someone else hold the object and point it at your forehead.

Once you have experienced the sensation a bit you can learn to induce it by remembering what it felt like and anticipating feeling it again while concentrating in your forehead / fingertips. Concentrating on the sensation amplifies it because physically perceiving it reinforces the anticipation of feeling it even more strongly. This makes it useful for concentration meditation as it gives you a physical sensation to focus on that also is a gauge of how focused your concentration is.

Anyways that's what you experienced. There's nothing magical or mystical about it.
>>
>>18268679
enlightment
soul>mind>body
the holy trinity
>>
>>18269244
>religion being the human affection of the truth
>people being enlighted being a bad thing
>>
File: BWbAhzHu.jpg (12KB, 240x240px) Image search: [Google]
BWbAhzHu.jpg
12KB, 240x240px
>>18268677
>>18272158
Anyways as for the rest of what you experienced, it's the result of mindfulness (via meditation or otherwise.)

>It seemed I could now see in much more detail, and I could see profound, eternal beauty in everything...

This is called "being." Especially in Western society we're trained to experience the present only for fleeting moments, most of the time thinking about what to do next. We all have extreme ADHD from the perspective of the meditative traditions. From a mundane point of view you became very aware of what is happening around you. The experience is profound though.

>Life is a big joke or a game, there is nothing to be serious about. We are living under some kind of hypnosis. There is nothing to be anxious about. Even if the world collapsed tomorrow it would be alright.

This is kind of like saying that you shouldn't want things outside of your control to change, as it will only cause suffering. So fuck it.

>There is no really such thing as free will.

True, what is actually called "free will" is slavery to the will.

>Death is an illusion. You are indestructible. When you die you come back, just like in a video game when your avatar dies.

Nah. Your afterlife is the universe continuing to exist after you die - after your life. Because there is no true division between self and else this is a very real feeling. Your consciousness goes poof though, but that doesn't matter if you aren't attached to your ego.

>Time is an illusion. True. Past and future are mental constructs - they only exist in your mind. What actually exists is the present moment and continuous change around this moment. Our society reinforces the delusion that past and future are real in all sorts of ways, when they are supposed to be only models to facilitate our experience.
>>
File: timen.gif (5KB, 700x298px) Image search: [Google]
timen.gif
5KB, 700x298px
Look at this animation. The dot is a moment and the line is the line of time. The above is how we think about time: the time line is fixed (the point of reference) and a moment moves along it. The bottom is how we experience time: the moment is fixed (the point of reference) and the line of time (change) flows around it. They're two different frames of reference regarding time and moment.
>>
>>18272158
lol everything HAS to be explainable rite ?
>>
>>18272198
Why, do you have a problem with your mystical experiences being demystified?

Another thing: lie on your back and imagine you laying on a board in space, or perhaps on a hill. Don't visualize this in front of you, but overlaid on your physical body. Now imagine this board tilting and sliding. With luck you'll feel the physical sensation of tilting/movement. Same principle: tricking your mind into experiencing sensation. Weed makes this a lot easier but isn't required. Astral projection (feeling that you are moving outside your body during meditation) is the same thing.
>>
>>18271402
Pretty much.
>>
>>18268677
*hug*
>>
>>18268677
Kundalini orgasm- dark zen attempter here
>>
File: Michael.jpg (40KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
Michael.jpg
40KB, 1280x720px
>>18268679
There's new management. But don't worry about it.

And be understanding of those who don't wish to live life the same way you are now. Even if you "" know "" it would be for their own good. The paradox is that although the conclusions you came to are absolutely true, you had to come to these conclusions of your own free will. Or so it seemed at the time. So give to others the same respect you gave yourself in this learning process.
>>
>>18268679
>free will
You do have free will, fool
>Indestructible in death
In death there is but life, and in life there is but death. Death in death is the true end to ones soul. But of the result hath not I any clue.
>>
I did acid once and I kept thinking about how my energy was going to be recycled. Does that make any sense?
Thread posts: 40
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.