[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do so many different cultures worldwide have myths of humanoid

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 7

File: nokken.jpg (344KB, 1250x834px) Image search: [Google]
nokken.jpg
344KB, 1250x834px
Why do so many different cultures worldwide have myths of humanoid shapeshifting water spirits that like to lure and drown the unfortunate?

Was it a real thing?
>>
Yeah, was me. My bad.
>>
>>18267649
Anybody have a picture where a thing like this is more out of the water?
>>
>>18267649
Cause it is easier to blame a monster than the person who does not know how to swim
>>
>>18267675
>>18267649

I'll further play skeptic and say its related to incidents where a skilled swimmer drowned anyways.

>how could this happen?
>>
File: 13648389_2397106_pm.jpg (289KB, 550x778px) Image search: [Google]
13648389_2397106_pm.jpg
289KB, 550x778px
In my home country of Iceland we have the Nykur. It's a water horse that lures victims to ride on their back to their doom. So basically the same as the Scottish Kelpie, only it's rarely said to be able to shapeshift and you can always recognize it by its hooves which are backward. We have quite a few small mountain lakes named Nykravatn, meaning Nykur Lake.
>>
>>18267919
Not to mention the whole fear from things with mirrors and lakes that reflect your image.
>>
>>18267649
They do?
>>
File: archangelGabrielBinAndalus.jpg (32KB, 250x335px) Image search: [Google]
archangelGabrielBinAndalus.jpg
32KB, 250x335px
>>18268462

Salutations, fellow solutreans:

The best ontological descriptions of Nessie are equivalent to that of a giant water snake. There are multiple similar phenomena observed in several inland waterways of the northeastern United States. I do not think that we would be scientifically unsound to thusly assume the congruency of kelpies or Nykur.

There was probably a denser island chain connecting Iceland with Nova Scotia and Brittany earlier during the Pleistocene. We may assume some creature like an anaconda went freely throughout that spacetime, feasting on the Atlantean megafauna. A common ancestor with that range is necessary to explain the geographic distribution of epistemologically identical sightings.

There are some records of exterminating those creatures in the Algonquin-Basque Canadian records. There has been some effort to reconstruct the chemical means of exterminating the predator, because it attacks humans. To my knowledge, the substantial nouns of the recipe were derived from a forgotten dialect of Algonquin; so it behooves me to intuit the lost meaning based on how ecology and chemistry were utilized by Native Americans. I estimate that a mixture of tar and bonemeal applied to the shore of the lake would deter and eventually eliminate the predatory cryptid; because of the adhesive properties of tar and the excess phosphorous in the diet of strict carnivores.

This message is composed as a token of friendship to the pirate party of Iceland, congratulations for optimism in democracy. If the party should seek to undertake the environmentalist program as I have prescribed, I recommend sending an inquiry to UCSD Icelander Bernhard Palsson. His work will be instrumental in the development of a citrobacter species to engineer a safer lake microbiome. I assert this plan to at least bioremediate Uranium pollution from NATO military bases.

Salute Solutrea!
>>
>>18268575
Wow, thanks. You seem to know your stuff. Only, I would like to point out that Iceland was born in a volcanic eruption merely 16 to 18 million years ago, so we never had prehistoric creatures here. But we do have a legend of a lake serpent; the Lagarfljóts Ormur.
>>
File: 077.png (71KB, 800x974px) Image search: [Google]
077.png
71KB, 800x974px
>>18267649
Last paragraph in this page.

It is from this book:
https://a.pomf.cat/yegfjc.pdf

You should also read this one:
https://a.pomf.cat/minnff.pdf
>>
File: ArchangelIsrafilBinLalish.jpg (44KB, 233x300px) Image search: [Google]
ArchangelIsrafilBinLalish.jpg
44KB, 233x300px
>>18268602
I only mentioned the past two million years, which is not out of the time frame for titanoboa. There are some Biscayan and Armorican records of amphibious ungulates in the north Atlantic ocean. I do not imagine that genera could be carnivorous, so there would have to be a commensal relationship with a lake fungus: kind of like what you see with leafcutter ants- but more like how scavengers bury meat. The special chemical mixture I described should function successfully in either case with bimonthly application.
>>
>>18268626
You appear to have given this a lot of thought. This is very interesting, thank you.
>>
File: ArchangelRaphaelOnJazzHornSolo.jpg (24KB, 480x240px) Image search: [Google]
ArchangelRaphaelOnJazzHornSolo.jpg
24KB, 480x240px
>>18268641
My writing is precisely spontaneous, but my interests in zoology and bioengineering are lifelong efforts.

You are welcome; I hope that I get the chance to effect something like this IRL.
>>
Poor mental and physical health leading to hallucinations
>>
>>18268695
You can end the debate with an ad hominem fallacy.
>>
>>18267649
Likely an evolution of animal attacks such as gators and some species of sharks that can strike prey at the water's edge. Or just ancient serial killers disguised as animals waiting in bodies of water.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.