[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /x/, I don't know if you can console me or something,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 1

File: Watchmen005.jpg (783KB, 800x615px) Image search: [Google]
Watchmen005.jpg
783KB, 800x615px
Hi /x/, I don't know if you can console me or something, but I'm absolutely paranoid about internet, big data and surveillance.

Is there any hope for the world in this way? Big companies have everything about ourselves, from searches, facebook, internet history, pokemon go, whatsapp, shopping receipts, taglines... Everything. Most of it is there at the terms of agreement, a lot of it might flow illegally and normal people have no means to tell. Governments and companies are now negotiating with our data. Right now I'll be solving the captcha and help robots improve their recognition of the world and read what's in front of people's cameras.

Some will say this is just so that certain ads appear on my timeline, which in itself is horrible as it creates this bubble more and more suited just for me and I go on thinking I'm out there in the world, or that it is to fight "terrorists" and god knows what could be considered terrorism. But I don't trust it one bit. The bigger a company is or the influence of a certain government is, the more power it will have to get bigger.

My worst fear is that they can cross all that data and actually change the "landscape" of opinions. Say, if they want to increase voters of x candidate, they could run an algorhytm in which they took 100 million fb users and make certain much percent more likely to appear on their timeline things from pages in which there is a higher percentage of voters of x. At first you think of no one change their vote over such a thing, but if out of 100 million, 300 thousand could actually move to the other side, that's something. And the algorhytm will search for its own flaws and improve for the next round... If the next big thing is to wear green-dyed wool sweaters, you could induce people to love it by running subliminal messages into people based on ranks of their fashion influence, from bottom to top. You could speculate and invest in something and then buy people's desire afterwards.

Is there any hope?
>>
I mean, I've taped my webcam and I don't do those buzzfeed tests for companies, but I know none of this matters. I can use facebook and report my location, it doesn't matter because I'm just one and the system works for all, they are collecting all of what my friends do. I could move to the forest and forget about my online life, but that doesn't change the fact that it's happening.

The other day I saw a video on youtube recs of a guy saying we should disconnect more and live life offline and outdoors. I wondered if that was aimed at me (and plenty of other people) to eject useless people out and diminish their reach.

The worst is that you are manipulated and you don't even have the tools to know that you are being manipulated. I'm positive they can make people kill themselves if only by showing depressive shit all day. You may say you'd quit facebook before any of that effect you, and you would be right in the first time, until the algorythm improves itself and become more subtle, on the limit of keeping you hooked and destroying your life.

PS: thread also posted on >>>/g/57073168
>>
bzz
>>
>>18233230
>Hi /x/, I don't know if you can console me
No for myself, doubly no for /x/. This isn't /adv/
>I'm absolutely paranoid about internet, big data and surveillance.
You know the saying, just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not etc etc
>Is there any hope for the world in this way?
Define hope. Generally the conman always needs a sucker in some measure, so it's unlikely every sucker's on the chopping table or the cons would have to turn on each other. Not that they are against that sort of thing, it just gets messier than the majority care to put up with.
>>
>>18233230
>>18233846
>Big companies have everything about ourselves, from searches, facebook, internet history, pokemon go, whatsapp, shopping receipts, taglines... Everything.
They have the stats for the sport, and they know how to play the game to win, but they don't control the players who don't let themselves be bought. Decide for yourself what that's worth, it'll determine what you are.
>My worst fear is that they can cross all that data and actually change the "landscape" of opinions.
It's tragic but in a way because of the acceleration of society's "progress" we're in Darwin theory overdrive. I don't think it's necessary to "weed out the chaff" myself, but the thing is if there exists a group of people who are ignorant and gullible enough to a dire degree. Nature dictates their fate must come as due their nature or they'll just go on to produce more people like them who are detrimental to the others later. Thing is as these people are subjected to the pitfalls of their character they pull down others who unfortunately support (family) or try to protect them (friends). Which funny enough benefits those running the gauntlet because it gets rid of the "chaff" and the "pests", leaving only their crop.
>If the next big thing is to wear green-dyed wool sweaters
I've actually had a discussion that confirms virtually all fads are in fact a means of getting a cheap thing to explode in popularity and therefore profit someone. Take the uggs, leggings and flannel phases. Things once so rudimentary became very chic. Just imagine whose bank account those sales flooded into, follow the money
>Is there any hope?
Define hope.

>but that doesn't change the fact that it's happening.
Exactly. The ocean is made from the motion of many drops, but one drop cannot move the ocean.
>>
>>18233230
Ah, yes, and while we're here though I can't rub your tears away I can rub your ego by commending your excellent taste in comics.

Our options are limited, but be glad you always have the choice to choose, and to thine own self be true. For truly in the final hours when introspection becomes impossible to distract from and delay any longer that above all is all that will matter to yourself.
>>
I'm going to bump this thread under the watchful eye of our benevolent administrators.

Also Moot got the job at Google because he allowed scripts + captcha on 4chan.
Thread posts: 7
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.