[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Here is a chart of magnetic declination. This is what you have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 95
Thread images: 17

File: poles.jpg (212KB, 998x584px) Image search: [Google]
poles.jpg
212KB, 998x584px
Here is a chart of magnetic declination.

This is what you have to offset your compass by so that the magnetic direction the compass is point lines up to the true north that the map is printed in.

I was a reconaissaince operator in the military for 5 years with point man experience navigating all around afghanistan and I can tell you my nav is fucking solid but im pretty sure something is fucked here

look at where the declination (to get the compass to point to the same places as the map) is originating out of... the fucking south pole

they say theres a liquid ball of metal that floats around somewhere near northern canada and thats what attracts the needle

im calling fucking bullshit on this

this fucking magnetic variation chart clearly does not do this theory justice... i know this is a 2d representation of a spherical object and that is SUPPOSED to explain the curvature of the field but it still doesn't line up

look where the bermuda triangle is, it just does a v and an inverse v at that spot, theres something sincerely fucked up going on with the way we think about north and compasses

the idea being that if the compass needle actually pointed south instead of north nobody would know unless you labled the north facing needle red and said A GIANT METALIC GLOB OF METAL JUST FLOATS AROUND THE EARTHS CRUST AND ATTRACTS EVERY METALIC OBJECT ON EARTH TO IT

wtf is that shit

heres the smoking gun. If you at 0 degrees declination that means you are directly south of the floating glob of metal and as such the maps you will be using will be oriented so that you do not need to adjust your compass

but look at where the green lines are on this map, they all point to different globs of metal that dont all converge on where (if you google, where the metalic north is) says on google

this is fucking the smoking gun, all the maps were done for the past 300 years using magnetic north as its reference but its fucking different for all sorts of parts of the world

cont
>>
because there is no metal glob of magnetic goo floating around the northern tip of canada means that compasses are attracted to something and that something is in ANT ART FUCKING TICA

the compasses point south not north, and all the declination crazyness on that map is because people have been making maps thinking their compasses are pointing to a shifting mass of magnetism to the north so for all parts of the world you ahve to induce weird ass declination corrections to get the map to fit whatever fucking wacky direction the compass was pointing at the time

this is totally fucked
>>
this just goes fucking deeper

what are our compasses pointing at and why is nobody allowed to go to antartica if they are being attracted south not north

nobody would ever figure it out either, you just say compasses are attracted to the north when infact they are attracted to the south... whats the difference? how would you know which side of the needle is experiencing force

just tell everyone that A GIANT METALIC GLOB OF GOO IS FLOATING AROUND UNDERNEATH THE EARTHS CRUST FOR SOME REASON AND IS THE CAUSE OF MAGNETISM

fucking metal is pointing to something sacred and holy

why isn't anyone allowed to go to antartica, just research stations with computer equiptment

if the declination chart didn't actually show what was going on our maps and navigation wouldn't work so this is the smoking gun people

NOTHING IS AS IT SEEMS WTF DID I JUST UNCOVER
>>
>Reconaissaince (sic) operator in the military for 5 years
>doesn't know how compasses work

Didn't they teach you in the top of your class at sniper school?
>>
>>18199007
sure bud take the blue pill but tell me this how would you ever know which pointy end of the needle is attracted to what

they say theres a north and south pole and that the needle aligns up with that

yet look at that giant green 0 degree declination change sweeping accross europe downinto africa and out of asia

how is an entire continent supposed to be directly in line with magnetic north

look at where the declination is 0... it just wanders the fuck around the map, how can it all be directly south of the magnetic pole

THERE IS NO FUCKING MAGNETIC POLE

theres just something that attracts metal to the south and that something is probably a giant red pill that if i said what it was they would just delete the thread like they do with any actual shred of truth shit that gets posted here

also if you dont kill you cant get killed unless its cancer or suicide or something like that

swallow that

people may sacrifice them selves so you kill them so you can be killed if your high profile enough

so think about that

it fucking happend to me but i slammed on the breaks when that old man stepped in front of my car while i was going 80 after coming to a complete stop on the crosswalk and making eye contact with me
>>
>>18199091
Here's a few things for you to understand.

Each magnet, any kind of magnet, has poles. It's a little bit like the + and - on a battery, but different. These poles are called the North and South poles. It's sort of arbitrary, and sort of not. You can't have a magnet that's just a north pole, or just a south pole. There are not east or west magnets.

Now the way magnets work is, opposites attract. The north pole of one magnet is attracted to the south pole of the other magnet. The south pole is also attracted to the north pole of a different magnet. But if you try to put two north poles next to each other, instead of attracting each other, they repel each other. Same with two south poles. Go ahead and try this at home. It's fun! So if you have to magnets and their ends are attracted to each other, you know that one of those ends is a south pole, and the other must be a north pole. It's a little hard to tell which one if the magnet isn't labeled.

Now the earth, it actually acts like one big magnet. It has a north magnetic pole, and it just so happens to be kinda close to the rotational or "true" north pole. And the south magnetic pole also happens to be close to the south rotational pole. Do you understand the difference between a rotational and magnetic pole? If you take a ball and spin it, you'll notice it has two rotational poles. The magnetic poles are different. Because they are close, but in different spots, navigating with a compass can be tricky. Sometimes, by coincidence, a compass will be pointing EXACTLY north, but this is only because the real north pole is in front of or behind the magnetic north pole. You see, compasses point to the magnetic pole. So there are maps sort of like OP posted. So that if you want to know EXACTLY where the north or south rotational poles are. You look at the compass, and then where you are on the map, and then you can calculate based on that which direction is true north or true south.
>>
>>18199182
Now how do compasses work? Good question!

The compass needle is actually a little magnet itself. Like all magnets, it got a north and south pole. Now one of these ends of the needle points to the north magnetic pole. How? North and south poles attract, just like the magnets at home! As it turns out, the end of the needle that points the the Earth's magnetic north pole is actually the south pole for that magnetic needle. Isn't that funny? That's how you tell which end of a magnet is north or south, if it's not labelled. We know the earth has magnetic poles because compasses wouldn't work if they didn't.

Also that V you point out isn't at the Bermuda triangle but out in the mid-Atlantic. There's no secret wormhole that happens there. It's caused by the difference in place between the true north and magnetic north.

Also, contrary to flat-earther youtube videos. you can go to Antartica if you want to. Tourists travel there. You can go to the true south pole. Or even the magnetic south pole if you want to.
>>
File: IMG_2310.png (346KB, 600x761px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2310.png
346KB, 600x761px
>>18198943
>>
>>18199182
okay dude

please tell me how in the magnetic deviation chart the fucking green line can ALL be within the parameters of the north south pole alignment

this chart shows how you have to calibrate your compass for air land and sea

if you dont calibrate your compass to the specifications of this chart you will get off course

now look at the green line in south east asia, it does an elbow bend... is that because of the curvature of the earth? why does it just do an elbow bend there and no where else, also how does this 0 degree declination change work at almost any point across the continent of africa

why is it straight up and down in north america

the fucking deets here is that this information has to be published so we can calibrate our compasses to our maps and navigate properly

the fun science lesson you gave me is great and all if it made sense from the fact that you learned that from a book that had lines coming out of the earth and it said N and S and then explained magnets

then your teacher showed you a magnet and it all seemed to line up and so you called it a day

but the problem stems from all the cartogrophers using maps and compasses but not all having the same actual compasses pointing the same way

so now they have to invent weird ass 0 degree declinations that exist pretty much accross the entire continent of europe and asia, but in north america the 0 degree declination goes up and down in a sort of diagnoal line

is the shape of the earth not a sphere then? is it some kind of lumpy mess?

the more i think about this and try to figure it out the less this makes sense

the only explanation (and if your a student of this board you should knwo) is that belief powers the way things work and when people were making maps of earth they all had different theories as to which way the metal pointed when it floated in water

eventually the western belief took root and thats why the 0 degree declination change makes sense in north america
>>
im talking about magnetic declination not how magnets work and how the north and south poles work

magnetic declination in antartica would mean you have to basically adjust your compass 50-90 degrees to use a map there

most of the maps we have on earth were done by cartogrophers who painstakingly walked the terrain and drew it out. they didnt have sat imagery and threw down meridian lines although i suspect this will all be covered up soon

declination is what you adjust your compass so that the map works with what your compass says

forget the fucking grade 2 explanation of the poles, and explain how you can have a compass that points north to south with 0 correction at almost any point in the east, where as in the west you only get that line up when you actually line up to magnetic north

NOBODY IN THIS FUCKING THREAD KNOWS WHAT DECLINATION IS YOUR FUCKING IDIOTS
>>
File: map of earth's magnetic field.png (203KB, 827x620px) Image search: [Google]
map of earth's magnetic field.png
203KB, 827x620px
>>18198943
>they say theres a liquid ball of metal that floats around somewhere near northern canada and thats what attracts the needle

WHO says this?

Also, your map would be more useful if it went past 75 deg both N and S. Try one with the polar regions looked at separately. Make more sense?
>>
>>18199091
>the secret of the south pole

it's the abrahamic god isn't it?
>>
let me just be blunt with what im trying to say

all throughout history while people explored the world and used a compass to navigate they didnt all have the same belief as to why and where and what it was doing

pockets of people in different areas came to conclusions as to what is going on with the compass and that is why you get such a fucked up 0 degree declination all over the east and even more fucked up in south pacific

instead of scrapping all the maps and loosing all the work of the cartogrophers they realized if they just said "oh when your in this spot, adjust your compass by this amount so your map lines up to north" and we will print the maps so that its oriented north and with the correction the way the map was originally oriented (probably some weird way) wont matter

so that way north is always up on the map and just because the african explorers compasses didnt point the same direction as the south pacific explorers doesnt mean the way they drew their maps is wrong, just the way it was oriented

so therefore to use the map correctly you have to make the correction

i dunno

whatever
>>
>it's s retard from /pol/ episode
>>
the point being all throughout exploration the various ways the compass pointed held true for the cartogrophres providing an actual steady reference, its just when it came time to collect all the maps they realized they were all oriented differently

and probably too because they would get lost when they tried to navigate with THEIR compasses
>>
File: map of earth's magnetic changes.jpg (45KB, 362x297px) Image search: [Google]
map of earth's magnetic changes.jpg
45KB, 362x297px
>>18199212
>is it some kind of lumpy mess?

In terms of things like density and magnetic intensity of specific spots - YES!!!!!

Here's perhaps a better map to look at. Note how the anomalous spots in the general trend of magnetic flow. If you have a bad monitor or eyes, the text reads:

>CONTOUR MAPS of the Earth's magnetic fields, extrapolated to the core-mantle boundary from satellite measurements, show that most of the magnetic flux is directed out from the core in the Southern Hemisphere and inward in the Northern Hemisphere. But in a few odd regions, the opposite is true. These so-called reversed flux patches proliferated and grew between 1980 and 2000; if they were to engulf both poles, a polarity reversal could ensue.
>>
>>18198965
>>18198952
>>18198943
Od youre a loony samefag arent you
>>
>>18199091

>also if you dont kill you cant get killed unless its cancer or suicide or something like that

This is the first time I've visited /x/ in like 2 years, glad it doesn't disappoint. You people are wonderful.
>>
File: Capture.jpg (72KB, 975x430px) Image search: [Google]
Capture.jpg
72KB, 975x430px
>>18199357
there was some guy doing a QA saying he was from a secret society and he mentioned the pain of when one of their members dies
>>
>>18199250
If you want to learn to analyze this chart, learn how to analyze slope fields.
>>
>>18199250
The compass has only been around a few hundred years. They always knew they were magnets. You have to magnetize a needle in order for it to work as a compass.

South Pacific islanders didn't have compasses until western civilization came along. Compasses work the same in both hemispheres. With the south end of the needle pointing north and vice versa.
>>
>>18199429
shiiiiiiiiiiittttteeeeeeeeee

but pizon

the compass was invented perhaps in 230BC by the chinese

surely it could have made its way to the south islanders

especially since it would have been an invaluable tool
>>
>>18199438
>perhaps

They had magnetized needles but they knew fuck all what they were doing with them. They wouldn't be used as navigational aides for well over another thousand years, and by then the Chinese weren't that big on exploring.

>They would have been an invaluable too to south islanders

Yet there's no record of them using it.

Also- you do know there are other ways to tell which way is north and which way is south, don't you? It's a convenient tool, but not at all necessary for navigation.
>>
>The magnetic compass was first invented as a device for divination as early as the Chinese Han Dynasty (since about 206 BC),[1][2] and later adopted for navigation by the Song Dynasty Chinese during the 11th century.

>Chinese seafaring merchants and diplomats of the medieval Tang Dynasty (618—907) and Song Dynasty (960—1279) often sailed into the Indian Ocean after visiting ports in South East Asia. Chinese sailors would travel to Malaya, India, Sri Lanka, into the Persian Gulf and up the Euphrates River in modern-day Iraq, to the Arabian peninsula and into the Red Sea, stopping to trade goods in Ethiopia and Egypt (as Chinese porcelain was highly valued in old Fustat, Cairo).[11] Jia Dan wrote Route between Guangzhou and the Barbarian Sea during the late 8th century that documented foreign communications, the book was lost, but the Xin Tangshu retained some of his passages about the three sea-routes linking China to East Africa.[12] Jia Dan also wrote about tall lighthouse minarets in the Persian Gulf, which were confirmed a century later by Ali al-Masudi and al-Muqaddasi.[13] Beyond the initial work of Jia Dan, other Chinese writers accurately described Africa from the 9th century onwards; For example, Duan Chengshi wrote in 863 of the slave trade, ivory trade, and ambergris trade of Berbera, Somalia.[14] Seaports in China such as Guangzhou and Quanzhou - the most cosmopolitan urban centers in the medieval world - hosted thousands of foreign travelers and permanent settlers. Chinese junk ships were even described by the Moroccan geographer Al-Idrisi in his Geography of 1154, along with the usual goods they traded and carried aboard their vessels.
>>
>>18199478
Did you know that the sun rises in the east and sets in the west?

So if you want to go north, face the rising sun, and then real sudden like, turn left.
>>
>>18198943
Because the earth core is liquid (molten iron) it doesnt behave like a solid magnet. Its orientation is mainly defined by the earth rotation (like an electro magnet inside a dynamo) but the heat causes turbolences and small multi poles.(think of cooking water). Also the liquid core behaves chaotic. It will sometimes stop or align with the earth rotation. In this case the small megnetic spots become dominant. It should also be mentioned that the magnetosphe (and a liquid core) is essential precondition for life.
>>
OP, you are one seriously stupid motherfucker. Likely psychotic on top of that.

For fuck's sake, you think the Bermuda triangle is in the middle of the Atlantic and that someone is throwing old men in front of your car because of magnets. But one of the characteristics of psychosis is that it can't be suppressed through reason, so I don't expect you to listen.
>>
>>18199544
44 is my number

i will heed to your reason
>>
>>18199232
I'm with this guy...
WHO says this?
>>
>>18199212
>is the shape of the earth not a sphere then? is it some kind of lumpy mess?

Uhm. Yes.
Not that other Poster, but anyways.
Earth is no solid object of the same density and strength like a billard ball. You Can find time that pretty easy by ultrasonics, and for deeper depths shockwave runtimes.
So, if you spin a lumpy mass with big squishy Bits floating in it pretty fast you get more of a irregular potatoe then a sphere, which makes maps either very irregular or very weird. Or both.
>>
Before we go further - is OP aware that the magnetic poles of Earth MOVE?
>>
>>18198943
There is nothing weird here. Look at how it changes over time.
Nothing strange happens at any time.
>>
>>18198943
Consider this OP: the declination in the vicinity of a fridge magnet is huge!
>>
>>18199091
Hagbard? Is that you?
>>
i swear to god with every once and fiber of understanding in my body everything about this is all wrong i just dont understand or i understand incorrectly

in that gif of the declination on the top right 0 line several 0 degree declinations exist and you can be north west east and south of a sizable circular portion of asia and still be in perfect alignment with the poles

look i see whats going on, they're slowly changing the maps to conform to some kind of backwards theory that really is just everyones best geuss as to whats going on

the reason asia is so fucked up is because compasses there are more attracted to the fucked up south pole and the reason it for a little bit makes sense north pole is cause

jesus fuck i have no idea this all just stinks

it stinks

what the fuck is going on how can you be magnetically aligned to always be north when the south pole is so much stronger because of your proximity to asia

this is what im saying people they used different north references when they made the maps and the declination is the biggest fucking part

NOBODY IN BASIC TRAINING UNDERSTOOD DECLINATION AND I HAVE NO FUCKING HOPE FOR THIS BOARD TO BE SMARTER THAN A BUNCH OF INFANTRY GRUNTS

you do not understand declination end of fucking story

stop telling me how magnets work and stop telling me how poles work its a load of shit

somethings being covered up through all this

why hasnt someone brought up that the south pole would attract the compass more than the north pole given the proximity
>>
>>18199821
>how can you be magnetically aligned to always be north when the south pole is so much stronger because of your proximity to asia

The closer you got to one pole or the other - the stronger the magnetic flux - the BETTER your compass would work.

Being close to the south magnetic pole is going to make the south side of needle align with the southern pole that much stronger.
>>
>>18198943
There is something wrong here. i dont understand these lines because your earthmap is wrong.
Please post full view of the north pole w your red and blue lines. You cant cause this pic is wrong

And btw, you can work 5, 10 or a billion years in magnetic technology, scientific or w millitary group, why are you sure to know the true ? You know nothing, like us, and you are wrong all way long
>>
>>18199844
It's not wrong, it's just incomplete. I already posted the poles here >>18199232
>>
Literally a nutjob looking for confirmation that his lack of any real knowledge, is right.
>>
>>18199445
He was being sarcastic
>>
>>18199821
Anon, Asia's in the northern hemisphere. Compass needles aren't attracted to one pole more than another, they're attracted to both at all times. The reasons the declination lines are curved the way they are in Asia is because of the position of the north magnetic pole relative to the true north pole. You're looking at a cropped 2D picture of a 3D object, and furthermore, each line involves the position of one point on that map to another. Of course everything's distorted.

Try it on a globe, or a smaller map of higher resolution.
>>
>>18199821
How would a map. made as you describe it looks like.

With the neddle always pointing south, how does that look like in the flat earth model?
>>
File: nasabtfo.jpg (304KB, 796x694px) Image search: [Google]
nasabtfo.jpg
304KB, 796x694px
>>18201038
Maybe like this.
>>
>>18198943
Compasses actually do point south, I remember hearing about this in passing ages ago. But saying north is easier I guess.
>>
>>18201073
The laws of electromagnetism would forbid that, though - the divergence of the magnetic field is always, under known physics, zero. So something like that, where "north" lines on a flat plane converge on a single point, would be impossible. You can only have magnetic dipoles that are north in one direction and south in the other.

So it's possible for a spherical Earth to have north magnetic and south magnetic *ends*, but without revising the laws of electromagnetism you can't have a flat Earth with a north magnetic hub and a south magnetic rim.
>>
>>18201249
Fair enough.

But you can't deny, that it is an interesting model.

They actually made me use some brain cells that I wasn't using.
>>
>>18201362
>but you can't deny it's an interesting model

I do deny that. That model is shit.
>>
File: fuckinmagnets.jpg (201KB, 963x632px) Image search: [Google]
fuckinmagnets.jpg
201KB, 963x632px
>>18201416
What if centripetal force causes electromagnetism on earth.

Flat earth it's spinning and produce gravity, and keep both the sun and the moon on orbith, producing the small difference in gravity, given that they are exactly above us, and close.

This difference in gravity around the equator, make us think that we are in a sphere.
>>
>>18201090
Yes, because opposites attract, the north pole of the compass is really facing south.
>>
>>18201458
Centripetal force doesn't cause magnetism.

Spinning does not cause gravity.

A flat earth cannot exist because gravity would make it collapse in on itself and just form a sphere. that's why all astronomically large objects are spheres. Because of gravity.

Gravity.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G91IU8cFJ7o
>>
>>18199273
drops science on a retard .. retard goes silent gg well played
>>
>>18199821
hey man it's chill if we let the sheep out they'll make too much noise and get us all killed

if anyone goes past the north or south pole the other people will come back and make us stay again like they used to. We haven't gone past the north and south pole in a long time. Just leave it that way.
>>
>>18198943
I think you need to tone it down a little on the drugs
>>
>>18201820
the most haunting response of the thread

im pretty sure the vikings knew about this and the frost giants

i was in one dungeon once where i was being prepped to go out and fight the frost giants as they were smashing on the door

i warped universes before i got the opportunity but i was fucking down

my plan was basically to create a mind virus in them with a simple question that they wouldnt really be able to explain

anyway never got the opportunity

thanks odin

thanks thor

i guess thanks loki because he probably tricked me somehow

i just go with what ive been told

seriously think about the exploration of the vikings

it kinda makes sense now, frost giants and all
>>
>>18201854

>>18194442

good, now watch this
>>
>>18201866
ill watch it out of respects to yous

but ive been in the forest a bunch, i got lost deep in the forest and i experienced the forest first hand so...
>>
>>18201489

no gravity retard, no baller planets spinning at insane speeds and travelling at insane speeds wither,

you double nigger
>>
>>18202087
>what if it's caused by gravity?
>I mean there is no gravity

Make up your mind, faggot.
>>
>>18201489
Prove that Gravity is real.
>>
I am willing to believe in the tiny blackhole in the center of the earth which has an input and output, but then again, magnets.
>>
>>18202170
Easy. Just jump out of a window. If you stay floating in air , i stay corrected. If you smash to a pulp way down there, let your final thoughts be about the nonsense you spewed. If you just kind of plop down you were not high enough.
See? Easy.
>>
>>18198943
Movement of charged particles autogenously creates magnetism. Look up the Biot-Savart law. There is movement of magma in the earth's core, hence our magnetic field. It isn't fucking rocket science.
>>
>>18202170
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pxSvgUsC_3g
>>
>>18199494
what if it's night?
or cloudy?
or there's like an actual fucking storm moving your ship left and right and everywhere?
the faster you can get back on route the least time you lose, can't wait for the sky to clear up when you already set sail
>>
>>18204851
Yes. In those situations it's helpful to have a compass.
>>
File: 18204909.jpg (161KB, 1024x687px) Image search: [Google]
18204909.jpg
161KB, 1024x687px
>>18204909
Okay, do you want a slave?
>>
File: 18204937.jpg (73KB, 665x443px) Image search: [Google]
18204937.jpg
73KB, 665x443px
>>18204937
I don't believe in fairy tales, but I believe in you and me.
>>
>>18202170
You can actually build a torsion balance capable of detecting the gravitational attraction between two heavy objects at home:
>https://www.fourmilab.ch/gravitation/foobar/
>>
>>18199393
/thread
>>
Google "handbook of magnetic compass compensation" or something similar. Read it. Learn.

Regards, USN (:
>>
File: 1445142663445.png (285KB, 444x440px) Image search: [Google]
1445142663445.png
285KB, 444x440px
>>18198943
>I was a reconaissaince operator in the military for 5 years with point man experience navigating all around afghanistan

As an experienced soldier in a US recce position, I'd like you to humor me and give me some details to confirm your "legitimacy"(ie, embarrass yourself more than you already have). If you were actually what you claim to be you'd have a variety of things to say that could make you seem at least semi-legitimate without breaking opsec.

I'm not sure why I'm bothering with how obvious it is, but I'm kind of curious to see what hilariously stupid bullshit you could come up with.
>>
this thread is best thread on /x/ in a while because this guy is so retard it made me realize I didn't know shit about magnetism or the rest past the simple explanations in gradeschool
what would be cool is to see some sort of gif that really explains it all, like a spinning earth and the blob of magnetic shit that changes all the colors that represent the magnetic force across it's surface
also OP you fuckin tweaker people navigated by the stars in the past
>>
>>18211136
It's no .gif, but this sounds sort of like what you're looking for. The spaghetti represents the magnetic field lines (the lines go along the direction of the magnetic field at that point, and are denser where the field is stronger. They're a visualization method, very similar to the contour lines on topographic maps.) As you can see, Earth's magnetic field is a bit lumpy and irregular, and the internal processes which produce it are a giant mess that is not fully understood.

I'll try to find something more informative.
>>
File: field_glatz_big.gif (150KB, 717x787px) Image search: [Google]
field_glatz_big.gif
150KB, 717x787px
>>18211354
Damn, forgot my actual pic. It's output from a computer simulation of the geodynamo (the currents of iron in the outer core that are thought to generate the field.)
>>
File: field185.gif (137KB, 717x787px) Image search: [Google]
field185.gif
137KB, 717x787px
>>18211354

While looking for this, I realized I actually had no idea how churning molten metal was supposed to generate the field, since it's electrically neutral and the metal shouldn't itself be magnetic. I guess it just sounded like the sort of thing that would make sense, so I never questioned it.

As far as I can tell from some Googling, the idea is that the existing magnetic field generates currents in the molten metal of the outer core, and then physical currents in the metal arising from convection currents and Coriolis forces somehow transfer energy into the field, keeping it going. (Electrical resistance in the core would have dissipated those currents, and thus the field, in ~20,000 years if it wasn't being maintained somehow.)

Apparently until 1995 our understanding of the geodynamo actually *was* about as handwavy as that sounds. This picture is from the first computer model that actually managed to demonstrate how that would work and come up with accurate numbers for the generated field. It's still not completely understood, and fundamental questions remain.
>>
THIS THREAD IS WHY WE CAN'T HAVE NICE THINGS!
>>
File: 1210873iyyxb9f4qp.jpg (19KB, 320x320px) Image search: [Google]
1210873iyyxb9f4qp.jpg
19KB, 320x320px
>Schizophrenia general
>>
>>18198943
Ok first you are allowed to go to the south polw. Its not just very fun.
Second take a class on electro magnetic fields before going ape shit about something you have no notion of.
>>
>>18211377
Yo genius. Friction in clouds can cause electric fields so Im pretty sure friction in molten metal can cause it too.
>>
>>18211356
>>18211377
Like you said. The current generates the field.
>>
>>18211377

permanent magnets are created any time molten metal (the right kinds of metal) cools in the presence of a magnetic field. the bits of metal inside are free to line up with the field, because they're liquid, and then they essentially freeze in place.

electromagnetic induction requires motion. any time you have electric current moving in a path that approximates a circle, you get a magnetic field. any time you have a magnet moving in a path approximating a circle, it generates electric currents in nearby conductors. this is why we build coils of copper for use in generators and motors, but even a totally straight wire will have a small but non-zero amount of inductance.

the earth is spinning, has a lot of iron which melts and freezes between the core and the crust, and convection currents driven by heat to keep things moving inside.

the last research project i did on the science of the core and magnetic field of the earth (this would have been about 96 when i was in college) confirmed that we still don't understand the whole picture, and most of our models of how the field is generated aren't perfect, can't quite explain the strength or the shape, etc. but we do have some reasonable general ideas and none of them involve holy magnets pointing at a temple in the southern oceans of the world which no one is allowed to visit even though there aren't any laws against it.

also OP whatever slivers of credibility you had went flying out the window when you proclaimed that we can't die unless we kill. maybe you missed the news about all the little kids getting blown away in various wars around the world but either way your posting style and inability to realize that magnets have nothing to do with your nutty theory about dying confirm you as serious schizo or very high on drugs. sober up and see a therapist.
>>
>>18211377
This really wasn't that hard to follow, or that hand-wavy.

>convection currents of fluid metal in the Earth's outer core, driven by heat flow from the inner core, organized into rolls by the Coriolis force, create circulating electric currents, which generate the magnetic field.

>since it's electrically neutral and the metal shouldn't itself be magnetic

Neither electrical charge nor magentism is needed for a geodynamo.

>There are three requisites for a dynamo to operate:
>An electrically conductive fluid medium
>Kinetic energy provided by planetary rotation
>An internal energy source to drive convective motions within the fluid.

>Apparently until 1995 our understanding of the geodynamo actually *was* about as handwavy as that sounds.
Again, no. 1995 was when someone was able to create a self-consistent dynamo model. Before that, certain parameters had to be chosen beforehand.

>For decades, theorists were confined to kinematic dynamo models described above, in which the fluid motion is chosen in advance and the effect on the magnetic field calculated.
>The first self-consistent dynamo models, ones that determine both the fluid motions and the magnetic field, were developed by two groups in 1995
>>
>>18211485
Thank you dude. Soundest guy here. Also the only one that actually knows shit about electro magnetic fields
>>
>>18211489
Yeahhh fuck em up anon!
>>
>>18211485
>>18211489
I can tell this guy is a fellow engineer
>>
File: ppkk3.jpg (96KB, 900x500px) Image search: [Google]
ppkk3.jpg
96KB, 900x500px
>>18198965

Derez weird shit in Antarctica...

>http://www.whatdoesitmean.com/index2002.htm
>On 6 December 2015, this report notes, Federation naval research vesselAdmiral Vladimiskydepartedthe Saudi ArabianPort of Jeddahwith the “Ark of Gabriel” bound for Antarctica accompanied by a vast naval armada ordered for its protection by President Putin and that (strangely) also includedcapsules with Russian soil to be placed in the areas of military glory and burial sites of Russian sailorsat selected ports of call along the long journey to theSouthern Ocean.
>>
>>18211485
I'm not OP, you dumbass, I was trying to give an explanation of how the geodynamo works, not refute it. Even if I claimed our understanding was rather shaky until 1995, you may have noticed that it is now 25 years later than that, which implies that it is rather less shaky now. Nor does "handwavy" mean scientists were just making shit up, but that we had a general outline but were fuzzy on the details.

>>18211489

My point was, that since magnetic fields are generated by electrical currents and/or moving charges, and since the iron in the outer core is electrically neutral, then in the absence of some effect I hadn't considered, flow currents in the core would not be expected to generate a magnetic field on their own any more than waving around a bar of unmagnetized iron would. I therefore figured there was probably some extra effect that popsci descriptions had glossed over, so I did some Googling to try and figure out what that was.

I still don't understand how it works - I don't understand the mechanism by which the kinetic energy of the churning metal is transferred to the magnetic field, if the electrical currents in that metal generating the field were induced by motion of conductors through the field in the first place, but I don't assume that my ignorance implies that I've seen through a fucking conspiracy of geologists or anything. Just because I don't understand something doesn't mean I think nobody understands it or that there's nothing to understand.
>>
>>18198943
Operator for 5 years but didn't get it beat into you on how to spell reconnaissance right in RIP, BRC or ARC. Go get your fucking team leader and bring the bone because you both are going for a jog up the hill.
>>
>>18211562
>since the iron in the outer core is electrically neutral

Where do you get this? The very fact that Earth has a magnetic field indicates that it is wrong.

Are you just applying the properties of an ideal conductor, such that all electrical charge is located on the surface? Do remember the outer core is not a homogenous region.
>>
>>18211622
No, just that matter in general is electrically neutral. There's no obvious reason that Earth should have a net electrical charge, and AFAIK it doesn't, and at first glance there's no obvious reason why charge separation would occur in the core, and why if it did the regions of positive charge would flow in a different direction than the negative charge, since convection currents and Coriolis force from Earth's rotation should work in the same direction for both. (An even mix of positive and negative charges moving in the same direction will produce no net magnetic field.)
>>
>>18211694
There is a negative electrical charge at the surface of the Earth. It is 500,000 Coulombs in strength.

https://en.wikiversity.org/wiki/Natural_electric_field_of_the_Earth
>>
>>18211711
Right, but there's a positive charge in the atmopshere, so the earth is net neutral.
>>
>>18201458
I hope you're fucking trolling. The outer core of Earth is made of molten iron-nickel. The dynamo effect allows for a magnetic field to exist. None of the Flat Earthers understand the basic physics behind magnetism or gravity. Not to mention, you can do something as simple as buying a telescope and observe other planets. All of them are rounded by gravity and so are large enough asteroids that hit the Earth.
Just how fucking dumb you have to be to believe this completely, outrageously, retarded notion in the light of our knowledge and ability to check it, even if you're not an astronaut?
>>
File: Screenshot_20161001-084817~2.png (320KB, 736x966px) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot_20161001-084817~2.png
320KB, 736x966px
>>18199207
Dude thanks
>>
>>18211770
And understanding that, you can understand how ionized molten nickel-iron undergoing convection and the Coriolis Effect can have electrical charges in it without having a net charge.
Thread posts: 95
Thread images: 17

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.