[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What the hell is the silicone tree theory all about? Someone

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 166
Thread images: 22

File: Devils-Tower-1-1024x683.jpg (129KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
Devils-Tower-1-1024x683.jpg
129KB, 1024x683px
What the hell is the silicone tree theory all about? Someone posted about this last night and I'm fucking baffled.
https://youtu.be/ObJL6aA2czo

>pic related it's a fucking tree, apparently
>>
>>18194442
It's about of retards making a stupid theory based on no substantial evidence. Their strongest ""evidence"", is that Devil's Tower and mountains look like tree trunks.
>>
Shit like this makes me depressed. Realizing how retarded the 80s generation is.
>>
>>18194442
It's a dumb baseless crackpot """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""theory""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""" that is literally on the same level as flat earth and time-cube shit.
>>
There are No Oceans is even worse
>>
>>18194442
It's a part of a small tightly knit community of trolls who collaborate to make videos about the most outrageous things they can believe, and see how many mentally ill unfortunate viewers they can trick into liking their video or leaving a comment.
That's the real conspiracy
>>
It's a load of crap, but I think it makes for some neat world building. I would totally read about a society living in the branches of huge ass stone trees. And then something about a nuclear war in the 1800's, everything about it is nuts
>>
Trees that big could not sustain themselves on the earths limited surface and resources, unless the theory suggests earth was much bigger richer in chemical resource etc.
>>
>>18195014
you've got it backwards

the theory suggests that there's no such thing as trees and that all trees are magma tubes flowing outward from the earth
>>
When you really think about it, there is no sky
>>
What amazes me is the time and energy people spend making videos like this. It's an absurd idea, but it did provide some entertainment at least.
>>
>>18195034
damn.....................................
>>
>>18194442
True and awesome. That's a tree stump.
>>
>>18195035
it could be a disinfo psyop
>>
>>18195268
yes, russians make videos about trees not existing because it's a psyop
thank you anon
>>
>>18195268
I wonder how many of those videos are just a modern day version of the Roman games? Something to distract the masses. Instead of feeding the blood lust, it feeds paranoia and/or encouraging people to feel like they know something that the others don't know. Make me feel special, ya know?

Just can't imagine that someone who is inclined to believe such a thing would be able to produce 2 hours of material. But given enough views, I may have just answered my own question. Ad $
>>
>>18194996
t. a very smart person
>>
>>18195014
If you say so it must be true :^)

>>18195017
no it doesn't.
>>
im from the interior of BC and i can confirm there are 0 trees here

its a giant prarie or rocks and dirt
>>
>>18195316
>>18195294

The one thing both posts missed is assuming it is either a distraction or the formulation of trolls.
It is an experiment in understanding how deeply you can alter the Neural-Cognitive Matrix. To put it this way, if you can convince 70% of mankind that trees are in fact fake, this becomes 'Reality'.
>>
>>18195327
>no it doesn't.
what did I miss
>>
The original title was "there are no forests on flat earth"

The premise was:

>Devil's Tower looks like a tree stump
>therefore it is a tree stump
>Devil's Tower is tall and made of rock
>therefore it is a mountain
>therefore all mountains are tree stumps
>therefore there must have been an ancient forest of mile high trees
>therefore giants must have cut them down
>therefore giants existed
>just like in the Bible.

I have no idea where they went from that to "no forests on flat earth." Since, you know, there are forests.

It was a huge hit in the flat earth community for about two weeks. They were shocked about what an amazing revelation it was, and they couldn't believe how the truth had been hidden from them for so long, and how glad they were that this ancient knowledge had been awakened.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmJLGWsUDKE

Then there was a schism within the flat earth community, between those who believed it and those who don't, each calling the other stupid shills. I think a good portion of them have since moved on, forgetting that theory like they all forgot grade school.
>>
>>18195362
I'm honestly fascinated by both communities. So stupid but so self-assured in their views.
>>
>>18195342
t. a lad
>>
>>18195362
>the premise was
>my half-truths about the premise
>>
>>18194442
My Geology professor said its most likely the remains of an ancient volcanic shaft. Over the millions of years the exterior rock of the volcano withered away and whats left is the magma that was once within.
>>
>>18195376
some dude literally proved the earth is curved to these idiots in the early 1900's

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bedford_Level_experiment

Atmospheric refraction can produce the results noted by Rowbotham and Blount. Because the density of air in the Earth's atmosphere decreases with height above the Earth's surface, all light rays travelling nearly horizontally bend downward (assuming a curve or change in air temperature along the line of sight). This phenomenon is routinely allowed for in levelling and celestial navigation.[16]

If the measurement is close enough to the surface, light rays can curve downward at a rate equal to the mean curvature of the Earth's surface. In this case, the two effects of assumed curvature and refraction could cancel each other out and the Earth will appear flat in optical experiments.[17]

This would have been aided, on each occasion, by a temperature inversion in the atmosphere with temperature increasing with altitude above the canal, similar to the phenomenon of the superior image mirage. Temperature inversions like this are common. An increase in air temperature or lapse rate of 0.11 degrees Celsius per metre of altitude would create an illusion of a flat canal, and all optical measurements made near ground level would be consistent with a completely flat surface. If the lapse rate were higher than this (temperature increasing with height at a greater rate), all optical observations would be consistent with a concave surface, a "bowl-shaped earth". Under average conditions, optical measurements are consistent with a spherical Earth approximately 15% less curved than its true diameter.[18] Repetition of the atmospheric conditions required for each of the many observations is not unlikely, and warm days over still water can produce favourable conditions
Flat earthers are like 25% trolls 25% genuine morons and 50% disinfo agents
>>
File: 1471033359421.jpg (113KB, 640x492px) Image search: [Google]
1471033359421.jpg
113KB, 640x492px
>>18194442
I don't know but I stole this idea for my D&D campaign.
>>
>>18195451
>50% disinfo agents

You don't have to pile on more stupidity by making them into a conspiracy theory.

They're 100% genuine morons.
>>
>>18195002
It would be really cool, I think thats how I as able to watch it more that sixty seconds. Still got triggered though. But flat earth and giant trees for a DnD campaign or something, sounds fun. I think Im going to look through the catalog and see what other stuff would mesh with those things well
>>
File: beacon_rock_11-02-10.jpg (234KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
beacon_rock_11-02-10.jpg
234KB, 800x600px
>>18194442
I don't know, but I am sure that mesa is the remnant of a volcanic core like Beacon Rock on the Columbia River in Washington State.
>>
By ignoring pretty much every law of geology, the theorist posits that columnar basalt formations are in fact ancient tree trunks.
>>
>>18194996
No. That's not the real conspiracy. The real one is that flat earth shit and this bullshit is pushed by govt paid psy ops employees basically using discredidation psy ops to make any and all "conspiracy theorists" be associated with literal retards like flat earthers
>>
>>18195477
Can I play? hehe xd
>>
>>18195451
Lol bro..round earth was proved already before that in ancient Egypt. When people used to think for themselves on occasion.
>>
>>18195448
The question remains. How does lava create the same hexagonal pattern found in plant matter?
>>
>>18198291
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleavage_(geology)
>>
this is amazingly retarded
>>
>you will reverse your concept of forests by 360 degrees
wow
>>
>>18194981
link
>>
>>18194442
I don't see why people are so quick to insult these ideas.

I agree that many claims seem far fetched. But this really does look like a giant tree stump. how it is "lava" or whatever makes no sense at all to me. It being a tree stump? well it looks like one. and that they say it is a silicon lifeform lends more credence to the idea.

i mean, i don't know what the hell it is but it does look more like a tree stump than some kind of lava/magma/volcano thing.
>>
>>18195294
>Just can't imagine that someone who is inclined to believe such a thing would be able to produce 2 hours of material. But given enough views, I may have just answered my own question. Ad $

someone who is inclined to believe such things i would think would be more than capable of thinking up more than just 2 hours of this stuff.

it is very unusual 'out of the box' thinking which indicates creativity.

whether it is wrong or not i don't know, but it is a hell of a lot more convincing thant the idea that lava somehow created it.

what created these geologic formations i don't know, but lava? nope, don't buy it.
>>
>>18195672
remnant of what? how? how does that happen? has lava ever been seen forming a structure like that?

that is the biggest issue i have with contemporary science. it just pretends it is credible but really never explains or demonstrates in physical reality, which is really essential for something to be established "science"

so modern "science" very often is NOT science at all. just superstition and vague theory.
>>
>>18198482
>Heck it looks like that so it must be it!

Uneducated retard. It's called research, scientific experiment, study, testing, analyzation. Can you imagine what the world would be like of we just "looked at shit". Hey there's a giant candle in the sky!! Oh shit why are there huge cotton balls floating in the sky?!? Ya..get a good damn brain.
>>
>>18198482
>how is it lava.

Lava is under the ground. It's under a lot of pressure. It moves upwards through channels, kind of like volcanoes. In this case it cooled down and solidified before it erupted. It was harder than the surrounding rock. Over time the softer rock eroded away, leaving behind the plug of lava rock.

>they say it is a silicon life form
>lends more credence

There is no such thing as a silicon life form.
>>
>>18198499
>Has lava ever been seen forming a structure like that

Yes

>never really explains or demonstrates

It does both. Your ignorance of science is not an argument against science.
>>
>>18198470
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5FZB8Jz8DUM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbqjQXZZj0
>>
>>18198291
Hexagons are not special to plants. They're also found in bee hives and other naturally forming materials.

It's got nothing to do biology but math. Hexagons are the polygons with the most interior space and the least surface area, that can be packed together without leaving gaps. When lava cools evenly it contracts, and as it contracts it gets brittle and undergoes stress, and if it works right, it will cleave into these regular hexagons. Sometimes it cools unevenly and you get pentagons or heptagons, both of which are present on Devil's Tower.

There are places in Hawaii's lava fields where you can go and observe this happening in real time.

Fucking retards.
>>
>>18198850
>Lava is under the ground.

Just to be a dick, lava is above the ground, MAGMA is below the ground.
>>
>>18199204
I'm dealing with very stupid people here, anon, so I'm just calling magma "underground lava" and hoping they can follow that much.
>>
>>18194442
There is a theory out there that claims that this is a giant petrified tree stump.
>>
Trees can't grow higher than 130m.

Trees rely on passive transport via evaporation to carry water to their leaves. Past this height, gravity overwhelms the adhesive/cohesive forces that wood fibers carry. Without some form of active transport, it is physically impossible for trees to grow taller than this.
>>
>>18198482
>But this really does look like a giant tree stump
And the earth looks flat.
>>
>>18195376
They do the best they can to overcompensate.
>>
File: lava.jpg (329KB, 1300x863px) Image search: [Google]
lava.jpg
329KB, 1300x863px
>>18198896
What dictates if it cools evenly or not? We look at the islands of hawaii and see they themselves didnt crystalize. Why would the devils tower do that in one instance and other times lava just lobs into an ugly hard mess. Im sorry if I sound like a child but science as a deception can easily work if you present an explanation such as cleavage and explain it through a convoluted web of of definitions of definitions and say if you dont understand it, it's okay but trust me because this phd man does, because another phd man told him. When the phd guy who taught the phd guy doesnt even have a clue. Are you gonna sit here and tell me you fully understand this shit?: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleavage_(geology) Seems like a convenient phenomenon thought up to hide this glaring truth.

When did this..
>>
File: lava2.jpg (184KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
lava2.jpg
184KB, 1024x683px
>>18199455
Become this..
>>
>>18199446
Who told you that and why do you believe them?
>>
>>18199455
>>18199457
One of the things you need to understand is that just like solid rocks, molten rocks are not all the same. Differences in temperature, composition, acidity, and exposure directly affect how the rocks cool and form.

I'm not claiming to be an expert or a geologist, but even basic observation should lead you to some obvious contradictions to what you're saying.
>>
>>18199460
Are you genuinely curious, or are you just asking to be confrontational?

Surface cohesion/tension is a well documented phenomenon. How far off the deep end are you that you'd contest how it limits water cohesion?
>>
People do realize that dimensionally scaled objects are not scaled 1:1 when it comes to weight right?

It's like 27 as heavy or something like that if you double the dimension. A tree that size literally wouldn't be able to support it's own weight. Even if it was made of silocon.
>>
File: lavalake.jpg (85KB, 800x287px) Image search: [Google]
lavalake.jpg
85KB, 800x287px
>>18199455
That did not become this.

Those are two different kind of lavas. They have differents sort of chemistry and crystalline structure. And most importantly the stuff on top did not cool evenly. You can watch it not cool evenly. It pours over the surface and different thicknesses, exposed to the wind, rain, terrane. You can literally watch it cool unevenly.

>it doesn't crystallize.

It does crystallize, but because it crystallizes very quickly, the grains are very small. Furthermore, the joints that you see in Devil's Tower aren't crystals. They're joints.

>Are you going to tell me you understand cleavage?

Yeah. I'm literate. I've gone to college. You could to if you pull your head out your ass. Did you really think that because you're too dumb to understand it that everybody is too dumb to understand it?

See, the difference between "phd guys" and you is, phd guys actually go out and study these rocks. They watch them form. You just watch retarded youtube videos and make shit up without evidence.

Here's a lava lake. It's one of many in Hawaii. It's cooled now, but back in the fifties it was red and molten. Then the eruption stopped, and it cooled, and there were people there who watched it. You can't see from this shot, but if you go down by those large cracks, guess what you find? That's right, hexagonal columnar joints, just like at Devil's tower. And there were scientists there at the time that literally watched them form over hours of cooling.
>>
>>18198857
>Yes

ok, so where. show me where lava demonstrates forming this kinds of structures? you can't. you just say its lava and it has been proven, but where. show me.

>>18198857
>It does both. Your ignorance of science is not an argument against science.

where is my ignorance? show me? could you provide images of these structures forming? because i see no one showing that. so how am i ignorant when i ask for proof and no one provides it.

then you say you know proof but can't provide it? i just don't see what you mean. where does this happen in nature where such structures are formed? where on earth is this happening to confirm this is so?
>>
>>18199448
well the earth is flat...
>>
File: columnarjoints.jpg (51KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
columnarjoints.jpg
51KB, 500x375px
>>18199492
Show me columnar joints in stone that isn't igneous extrusions.

>Where is my ignorance

Well you don't know basic fundamentals of biology or geology. I'd say that's super ignorant. Like elementary school education ignorant.

>Where does this happen in nature.

Hawaii, for example. Certain places in West Africa. Generally any places with volcanoes and lava flows.

Or, for that matter, places that had lava flows in the past. That's the nice thing about columnar joints. You can find them all over the world, but only where there's been lava. And no, they rarely look like tree stumps.
>>
>>18199455
you are totally right.

you use true intelligence, which stems from an admission of ignorance. whereas others feel stupid so pretend to understand/know but betray their ignorance because they show they cannot demonstrate real knowledge at all.

these formations, whether they are a silicon life form or not, are unlike anything occurring in nature. and that makes it unscientific to assume and pretend that they know what these structures are.

It is respectable to say "we don't know" it is not respectable to call people stupid and ignorant and then "prove" the claim they are ignorant by stringing together words and definitions but never plainly showing the event occurring under scientific observation.

so really it is just as absurd to claim these are resolve of volcanic activity as it is to say they are silicon life forms.

and honestly to me this seemed like silicon life forms more than it seems lava.

of course i just say this out of opinion, obviously there are no silicon life forms we know of to prove. but there is ALSO no volcanic activity to demonstrate these consistent geometric patterns forming naturally in nature.

obviously some other force created these, even if lava was involved.
>>
>>18199505
What if we do know how they're formed, and it's not that complicated?

If you flip a light switch and the lightbulb doesn't come on, do you say "Well I guess no one can really know why the lightbulb didn't come on. It will remain a mystery. Obviously there's some higher power involved." Or do you change the lightbulb?
>>
>>18199504
see now you say I am "elementary school ignorant" because i am intrigued by a possibility.

but where can this be proven occurring in nature NOW? show us all this happening NOW in nature. you show a rock that is totally different from, say, devils tower.

there is nothing like that forming naturally in nature. show where it is forming NOW, not old rocks.
>>
>>18199509
show me where it is happening in nature NOW that a natural structure of such size is formed in such a way.

don't show old rocks from thousands and millions of years ago.
>>
>>18199510
There are columnar joints forming right now in Hawaii and many other places around the earth.

>but the Devil's Tower is not in Hawaii

No, but you're moving goal posts. You thought there was some kind of cosmic significance in hexagons. You were explained how they formed and there's nothing special about them. Scientists writing papers as they observed them forming in the 1960s suddenly wasn't good enough for you for no reason, now you move the goalposts to right this instant. But they're still forming, dipshit.

You're not intrigued by possibility. You're afraid of the truth. You could go out and figure what these things are. But you don't like that. You like your goofy fairy tales instead.

This is why you're an ignorant, close-minded retard.
>>
>>18199517
I never said there is cosmic significance.

where are columnar joints forming "Right now" in hawaii?

i am not moving goal posts, you are avoiding providing scientific evidence of "columnar joints" forming.

but still, that DOES NOT explain a lateral formation as we see on devils tower.

even if it is lava, obviously there is an unknown phenomenon at play.

because someone "wrote a report" and has the label "scientist" i have to blindly believe, even though there is no visual proof of this physical, visibly observed phenomenon.

that's really the issue. not me moving goal posts, but you pretending to know more than you do, just like the scientists.

show visual proof of these things forming.

and yes, perhaps it IS lava (which i never denied). so then, where and how does something like devil's tower form?
>>
>>18194490

/thread

This should have been the last reply.
>>
>>18199509
>If you flip a light switch and the lightbulb doesn't come on, do you say "Well I guess no one can really know why the lightbulb didn't come on. It will remain a mystery. Obviously there's some higher power involved." Or do you change the lightbulb?

Dude. You are on /x/ and even bother asking ?
>>
>>18195376
>reddit and 4chan
>>
>>18199530
>Where are columnar joints forming in Hawaii

On Hawaii itself, at the lava lakes.

>you're avoiding scientific evidence

You want an actual paper? Fine. Now show me columnar joints that haven't formed from lava rock.

http://gsabulletin.gsapubs.org/content/79/9/1151

>it does not explain lateral formation

Of course it does, you're still failing to understand how it works. Lava is at or close to the surface. It begins to cool and harden. Unlike water ice, lava contracts when it cools, so it has to form cracks. If it cools evenly, the cracks form regular hexagons, again that's math. As the lava continues to cool, the cracks propagate downwards, perpendicular to the cooling surface. There's your lateral formation.

Here's a little diagram for you if those words are too big to figure out.

http://blogs.agu.org/georneys/2012/11/18/geology-word-of-the-week-c-is-for-columnar-jointing/

>obviously there is an unknown phenomenon

What phenomenon? What evidence do you see that these simple explanations don't exist?

>you're pretending to know more than you do

Just because I know more than you do, and you can't admit that, it doesn't mean I'm pretending.

>How does Devil's Tower form.

It's a lava plug, and the softer material eroded away.
>>
>>18194442
pic related is actually several trees, what is known to the scientifically minded as a 'forest', I believe.
>>
File: porkemon.jpg (23KB, 401x230px) Image search: [Google]
porkemon.jpg
23KB, 401x230px
>>18195477

Well you may get a Mew around there, just saying.
>>
>>18194442
I though this notion was very romantic. But yes I'm fairly certain it's post-ironic satire.
>>
Oh wow, I figured it out. There's an Eric Dubay youtube video called "There is No Curvature on Flat Earth."

So when some Russian retard with a limited understanding of English (or anything else) posted his theory about giant trees getting cut down, he decided to name it similarly "There are No Forests on Flat Earth."
>>
>>18200445
You scientists just pretend to know what you're talking about because that's what you were taught. Show me where on earth there's an actual forest.
>>
Flat Earth has no known edge. What is thought to be the Antarctic Ridge Barrier is in fact the shore of a vast lake which contains the known continents.

Few are privy to the details of the world beyond the lake.
>>
>>18200477
>what is thought to be the Antarctic Ridge Barrier

What's the Antarctic Ride Barrier?
>>
File: img_7892.jpg (140KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
img_7892.jpg
140KB, 720x720px
>>18200512
>>
>>18200521
You mean the coast of Antarctica? Because that's neither a ridge nor a barrier.
>>
>>18200528
do you even flat earth
>>
>>18200528
According to most flat earthers, there is no Antarctica. Just a frozen wall the UN death squads patrol to protect the secret.
>>
>>18198850
Lava is not under ground, its magma then
>>
>>18200545
>>18200547

According to flat earthers, the earth is flat. So fuck them and their retarded bullshit.
>>
>>18199493
Reviving gr8 b8
>>
>>18200521
>it doesn't even follow the coastline of Antarctica
wew lad
>>
>>18200555
Yeah, welcome to /x/
>>
>>18200521
At least use a more "natural" looking image.
>>
>>18200456

Viridin Forest, Forest Gump, Ever free Forest, Blair Forest, etc. ALL fake...

wtf WAKE UP Jesus was black, we wuz kangz and God hates cartoons!
>>
A percentage of rocks are magnesium oxide based. Fucks over the "HURRRR ALL MOUNTAINS ARE SILICON TREES!" idea.
>>
>>18200644
The guy literally calls volcanoes a lie, that are really chemical dumping grounds, lava is just a chemical reaction.

He calls all fossils dead silicon entities. Even human fossils we must assume.

He even believes there were secret nuclear wars in 17th century. Wars. Plural. Not just one secret nuclear war. Several.

He would disregard you as a "science nerd" who was brainwashed at school by the matrix.

In short, he's batshit fucking loopy. No facts will ever dissuade him.
>>
>>18200611
Yeah lets just ignore the ice in the center thats there for absolutely no reason. Fucking greenland ruins everything
>>
>>18199460
>>18199483
And no reply. LOL what a fucking faggot.
>>
>>18200752
The bit in the centre is far enough from the sun as it flies in a perfect circle about twenty feet above us ;)
>>
File: FlatEarthModel2.jpg (12KB, 468x229px) Image search: [Google]
FlatEarthModel2.jpg
12KB, 468x229px
>>18200817
Wow.

It's almost complete.

What a beautiful flat earth model.
>>
>>18200825
You forgot the elephants and the turtle.
>>
>>18200861
And the angels and the ruby mountain and the giant fish and the fire ocean and the even bigger fish
>>
>>18200899
Don't be silly, we can't see those within the firmament.
>>
>>18200908
But we know they're there.
Our ancestors found a way down and passed down knowledge of their findings
>>
>>18200934
Well, get to scribbling then. We owe the world a new and better cosmology to replace the round world lies.
>>
>>18200899
>And the angels and the ruby mountain and the giant fish
That's the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard.

Everyone knows it's a bull, not a fish.
>>
>>18194442
Brah.... Brah..... Fake and gay
>>
>>18194442
this is a documentary about deforestation. whats so hard to believe about this?
>>
>>18194981
That sounds literally fucking insane, link?
>>
>>18196038
Not just geology, either. They threw out some pretty basic premises of biology and chemistry and even mathematics to make that shit work.
>>
>>18198069
*Greece
>>
>>18198467
Well, I sure did reverse my concept of forests by 360 degrees.
>>
>>18202045
Seconding link request
>>
>>18198499
It's difficult to 'see' something happen that happens:
A) Very gradually over hundreds of thousands of years, and
B) Deep underground.

However, for an example of the same fucking sort of structure that doesn't even slightly look like a tree stump (being because it solidified on the surface instead of within a magma shaft) see the Giants' Causeway/Fingal's Cave structures. One of them is in Ireland and the other is in Scotland and they're part of the same lava flow.
>>
>>18200791
>And no reply
>except for that reply that I replied to
>>
>>18199484
Especially if it was made of silicon. Carbon forms much better structures for holding weight.
>>
>>18199455
Are you gonna sit here and tell me you've read that wikipedia article and DON'T understand it?
>>
>>18199492
>ok, so where. show me where lava demonstrates forming this kinds of structures? you can't. you just say its lava and it has been proven, but where. show me.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_places_with_columnar_jointed_volcanics
>>
>>18195464
Glad it's of some use to the world. lol
>>
>>18199510
>there is nothing like that forming naturally in nature. show where it is forming NOW, not old rocks.
I'll tell you what, if you've got the billions of dollars to get down to where it's happening and multiple decades minimum to sit and watch it happen, I swear on my life, the Bible, my mother's grave, whatever you want, that I will take you and show you.
>>
>>18199530
>(which i never denied)
Except for all the times you denied it.
>>
>>18199457
see
>>18198850
>>
>>18200450
And, as with all post-ironic satire, some fucking tools are going to take it seriously and start treating it as gospel truth.

I mean there's one in this thread right now.
>>
>>18202179
where did I deny it? i mean you can't tell my posts, but i never said anywhere here that there is no way it is lava. i said there is no demonstration of how they are formed.

i mean, look at devils tower. how the hell does it grow straight up like that? i mean, be real.

there is really no true explanation, only theories.

and that's the point. and all these people saying it is lava and posting articles, there are still no pics of these things forming in nature, which there should be.

it isn't something to get your panties in a bunch about. but the simple fact is science does not have an answer for something like devils tower.

obvious it is made of rock so whatever process forms rock(ie lava) likely has something to do with it. but that doesn't mean that we know what caused it to take the form it did.
>>
>>18200752
It sure fucked over the Vikings all right
>>
>>18201951
I mean yes, most of us are aware of that, but it's funny to watch delusional people explain their beliefs, so let's just sit and let this play out.
>>
>>18202107
aha, yes, more theories.

that's the point. theories. not fact.
>>
>>18202104
It's up there somewhere, I scrolled past it to get here.
>>
>>18202198
The same way water grows into the shape of a glass as you pour it in. The same way gold grows into the shape of a ring as you put it in a mould. The same way shit grows into the shape of your asshole as it slowly forces its way through your festering gut.
>>
>>18202107

Fingals Cave:

"Fingal's Cave is formed entirely from hexagonally jointed basalt columns within a Paleocene lava flow,[2] similar in structure to the Giant's Causeway in Northern Ireland and those of nearby Ulva.

In all these cases, cooling on the upper and lower surfaces of the solidified lava resulted in contraction and fracturing, starting in a blocky tetragonal pattern and transitioning to a regular hexagonal fracture pattern with fractures perpendicular to the cooling surfaces.[3] As cooling continued these cracks gradually extended toward the centre of the flow, forming the long hexagonal columns we see in the wave-eroded cross-section today. Similar hexagonal fracture patterns are found in desiccation cracks in mud where contraction is due to loss of water instead of cooling.[4]"

wow, it has citations! that must mean they are totally right. i mean, they quoted someone else. and surely if you follow the sources back there was a grad student dinosaur taking notes and publishing his findings in the university publications.
>>
>>18202198
>and that's the point. and all these people saying it is lava and posting articles, there are still no pics of these things forming in nature, which there should be.
I don't know what you're fucking expecting, a fifty-year time lapse of some random lava lake in Hawaii? Even scientists ain't got time for that, and they've got time to watch tar drip.
>>
File: lavaplug.jpg (45KB, 600x287px) Image search: [Google]
lavaplug.jpg
45KB, 600x287px
>>18202198
>How the hell does it grow up?

It's like your brain is incapable of understand that things can happen underground.
>>
>>18194442
not only is this lady awful at narrating so far her only evidence is
>it looks like a tree
>>
>>18202206
I could bury your dismembered corpse inside a lava flow as it formed columnar basalt structures and your ghost would still haunt me until my dying day saying it's just a theory.
>>
>>18202224
Please provide a better explanation that fits the evidence.
>>
>>18202219
yeah i figured you'd use shit as an illustration. because that's all your arguments are.

these are THEORIES. no one can demonstrate these as facts. they are "educated" guesswork.

and there is nothing wrong with that. but you have to have the courage to say "it is my educated opinion"

its not established fact. it is established educated guesswork and rehashing, requoting and confabulation and then an army of know it alls defending dusty old textbooks like religious fanatics.

so when someone says "oh i know how they were REALLY formed" they will all attack that person.

and i am not saying they are tree stumps. but i am not saying they aren't.
>>
File: Itobait.jpg (66KB, 500x491px) Image search: [Google]
Itobait.jpg
66KB, 500x491px
>>18202224
Okay then, what do you think happened, mister Ten Million Einsteins?
>>
>>18202249
>these are THEORIES. no one can demonstrate these as facts.
Except for all the people who have demonstrated them as facts.
>>
>>18202249
>but i am not saying they aren't.
So you ARE admitting that you're retarded
>>
>>18202242
I don't have to. and i also don't have to pretend to believe everything "scientists"(words printed on internet and books with names and places attached )

that's the thing. i am not afraid of being skeptical about what is official. because i know how much people lie and bend the truth for fame, riches, or just to get their undergraduate studies done.

because the real human reality is not truth, it is petty deceitful people, filled with know-it-alls and then the real scientists are the engineers and chemists doctors who actually accomplish real things.

then these books of theories are said to be "science" when it isn't. it is guesswork. hunches, theories. "points" that may "guide" the reader to further research. but not fact.
>>
>>18202261
all the ones you can't source and don't know the names of.

some guys lived millions of years to watch these things form? hmmm. ok, sure. i'll believe it just cause you said it. ok.
>>
>>18202269
>I don't have to

You can't, shit-for-brains.

>it's guess work

Hypothesizing, observing, testing, analyzing results, repeating

It's the scientific method.
>>
File: Untitled.jpg (96KB, 600x623px) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.jpg
96KB, 600x623px
>>18202228
Post ALL of the chart! Not just the first part!
>>
>>18202263
>So you ARE admitting that you're retarded

well you're projecting your own fear on to me.

I am admitting i don't know what they are because i wasn't there to see them form. so you want to attack and say a person is retarded for being honest. i just see you as a negative person and a liar who wants to say people are stupid because they admit they don't have all the facts.
>>
File: Charles Schulz predicts 4chan.jpg (728KB, 1280x1242px) Image search: [Google]
Charles Schulz predicts 4chan.jpg
728KB, 1280x1242px
>>18202278
>some guys lived millions of years to watch these things form?
No, only fifty.

Come on, spark those brain cells. We discussed this in this very thread.
>>
>>18202289
>I am admitting i don't know what they are because i wasn't there to see them form.
I wasn't there to see myself form, but I can say with decent certainty how it happened.
>>
>>18202282
>Hypothesizing, observing, testing, analyzing results, repeating
>It's the scientific method.

how can they do those things with ancient caves?

you aren't even making sense. i don't think you even know what science is because if you haven't observed it and can't replicate it in a lab it isn't really science. its just nomenclature taped together with imagination.
>>
>>18202287
That is all of the chart. You see that thing sticking out of the ground on the right labeled plug?

There's your Devil's Tower.

Are you telling me you can't even understand a cartoon diagram? There's literally two steps to the whole process- formation and exposure.
>>
>>18202290
well charlie brown doesn't explain aberrant, highly unusual geological formations which do not resemble the observable flows of lava.

"spark those brain cells" i mean, really? you are showing me a peanuts cartoon.

good grief.
>>
>>18202302
>you have to replicate things in the lab in order for it to be science

Retard detected.

Is astronomy a science? How do you replicate stars and planets in a lab?

You don't need a lab to do science, dipshit. There's another place you can go. Out in the field. Geologists go out in the field, and they observe all these things. Thousands of lava plugs all over the world, at all stages of development.
>>
>>18202287
theory
>>
>>18202302
I don't think he's the one that doesn't know what science is.

Anyway, it's been fun, but I have class tomorrow morning, so I'm gonna go to bed. If the thread hasn't died by around lunchtime I'll be returning then.
>>
File: hawaiilava.jpg (199KB, 1300x956px) Image search: [Google]
hawaiilava.jpg
199KB, 1300x956px
>>18202312
>columnar joints
>highly unusual
>no not resemble observable lava flows

Columnar joints are not unusual, and they do resemble observable lava features.
>>
>>18202318
astronomy is nomenclature.

i mean if you count the movements of starts and chart and plot it, well it can make you reach scientific conclusions.

but if you are just some asshole calling people retarded and throwing the word around to puff yourself up? well it isn't science.

astronomy has nothing to do with this conversation.

the simple fact is you weren't there to see it formed.

and scientists DON'T know everything. if they did then what would be the point of being a scientist? just to pretend to know everything?

Scientists have THEORIES about how things formed.

and that's fine but you go around pretending the theories are fact to win arguments. but there is nothing to win because they will always be a theory until you actually observe, and better yet, observe the process.

i mean, if devils tower is from a volcano, where is the dirt or rock?

oh it washed away? where to? oh let me guess, you have ANOTHER theory to TALK AWAY questions.

but these aren't real answers. it is presumption. even if educated. and the presumptions are so complicated and depend on so many other presumptions that you CANNOT safely rely on them as proofs.

so stay mad. i am gonna go for my walk.
>>
>>18202338
that doesn't look like devils tower. that looks like rocks on a beach.
>>
File: lavaplug2.jpg (113KB, 640x500px) Image search: [Google]
lavaplug2.jpg
113KB, 640x500px
>>18202363
Oh you want a lava plug.

There you go. Now put columnar joints plus lava plug together, and you've got Devil's Tower. You do believe that 1 + 1 = 2, right? Or is that just scientists and their guess work?
>>
>>18202358
>astronomy is nomenclature

You just went full retard.
>>
>>18199510
Go turn your tap on or setup a fan next to a stone, sure it'll take a few 100000 years till you see a difference but it's happening
>>
>>18199512
Are you that stupid that you cannot understand that it takes decades, even centuries to happen?

It isn't like "go to hawaii a 7:00 pm and look at it anon, so you can believe us", yeah, you can go and look, and yeah, it is happening right now, but you will propably die before you can see a real change, seriously, how can someone be that fucking retard
>>
>>18199530
>because someone "wrote a report" and has the label "scientist" i have to blindly believe, even though there is no visual proof of this physical, visibly observed phenomenon.

Soo, it's ok to you not to believe a acredited scientist, but instead believe some retard on a random youtube video, please do the world a favor and remove yourself from the genetic pool
>>
>>18199492
Please tell me you are NOT this fucking stupid.
>>
>>18199512
Hang yourself from a rafter already, you fucking daft fool
>>
Bumpity bappity boop
>>
>>18198489
You're a fucking moron
>>
File: darkcontinent.png (297KB, 576x560px) Image search: [Google]
darkcontinent.png
297KB, 576x560px
>>18200477
>>
>>18194442
I've been to the devils tower before I assure you the tower is not a tree and the trees around it are in fact trees.
>>
>>18194490
this is the true tbqh, i used to think the same shit when i was a fucking kid
>>
>>18199512
Thread posts: 166
Thread images: 22

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.