[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

doing research on voodoo anyone got pic, stories or legends

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: voodoo_2_0_by_metgod-d5twcad.jpg (203KB, 900x1364px) Image search: [Google]
voodoo_2_0_by_metgod-d5twcad.jpg
203KB, 900x1364px
doing research on voodoo
anyone got pic, stories or legends about voodoo
>>
>doing research on voodoo
Then post what you've found so far.
>>
File: voodoo-witch-doctor.png (1018KB, 650x897px) Image search: [Google]
voodoo-witch-doctor.png
1018KB, 650x897px
mainly only art but what im looking for is a Name of a voodoo legend to base a character on
>>
>>18147139
Sooo, your idea of 'research' is to have /x/ do your googling for you. Fuckin' lazy ass millennials.
>>
>>18147147
no its not that, im a 3d modeler and im making a voodoo character. now i have read up on a bit of voodoo but I havn't came across a legend or story that fits the role yet and I came here to see if anyone would have personal stories or heard of a female voodoo legend.
>>
File: o-sdfs.jpg (197KB, 2000x1000px)
o-sdfs.jpg
197KB, 2000x1000px
>>18147155
Who is "Mama Brigitte", Alex?
>>
>>18147155
are you autsitic? You're doing all this 'research' but haven't found a female voodoo legend when one of the biggest names in voodoo is Marie Laveau. And then there's the voodoo gods http://www.white-magic-help.net/About_White_Magic/Voodoo_History_Basic_Principles_Background.html. Just look at New Orleans legends or some shit
>>
>>18147201
yes i do know of Marie Laveau and thank you for the web site it helped. Also its spelt autistic and no i am not. I find it sad that people cant ask a simple question anywhere these days without somebody being negative about it. All im trying to do is find more info about voodoo that i havn't heard of yet because you can find some every interesting info by just asking people.
>>
>>18147155
>im a 3d modeler and im making a voodoo character

This exact approach is what will make an actual practitioner of any african diaspora religion clam up and tell you to fuck off.

Would you 3d model a character based on the fact that they are Christian? Muslim? Im not trying to be all social justice warrior here, but come on man, this is a religion and a tradition, people take this shit seriously. You're saying "I think of you, your culture, and your religion as nothing but a convenient set of aesthetics for my art project" and you actually expect us to tell you shit?
>>
>>18147236
you're first mistake was opening up this thread with the words "doing research on voodoo" without contributing. You should have just done a voodoo general thread if you just wanted stories and experiences
>>
>>18147241
Not OP, but someone sounds seriously butthurt. Take a pill. Is it so wrong to want interesting characters?
>>
>>18147252
Not at all, I encourage it. I am a practitioner of traditional African religion, and unlike some of my contemporaries, I am avidly in favor of sharing and opening up the diaspora to people who are interested in it. There's too much secrecy.

However this is the WRONG approach. These religions are full of folk heros, legends and colorful characters, but coming into it asking for "voodoo legends for my 3d character" is cringe-worthy and deviantart tier.

Ask to know the characters and the history because you're interested in it's people, in it's philosophy and mythology, get to know the people and their beliefs and then make a real and authentic character, don't just crib a bunch of chicken bones and skull face paint and call it "voodoo".

It's the equivalent of making a fat white character with an oversized cross necklace, a handful of pizza and a gun and saying its a "christian" character.
>>
>>18147266
But see, OP is actually trying to do research instead of doing generic hollywood voodoo character #34256, and yet you're complaining about it.
>>
>>18147278
You've got to understand that just by using the term "voodoo", it shows that OP has done zero research beyond looking up spooky "voodoo people" on google.

Does OP mean specifically the legends of Louisiana based practitioners? And even more specifically the legends involving the tourist trade in New Orleans? Because that's basically what he's asked for.
>>
File: Unknown.jpg (6KB, 205x293px)
Unknown.jpg
6KB, 205x293px
>>18147039
The Voudon Gnostic Handbook
by Michael Bertiaux

Would I vouch for it's being 'legit' voodoo?
Nope.
Is some of it patent bullshit?
Yep.
Was it still a good read, and a quality jumping off point?
Absolutely.
>>
>>18147289
So instead of shitting over the whole idea, educate OP. Make OP culturally aware. Otherwise he's just going to say "Fuck it, no one wants to help me learn more about this and bitch at me when I try, I'm just going to go with generic hollywood voodoo character #34256."
>>
File: DD.jpg (103KB, 965x641px)
DD.jpg
103KB, 965x641px
>>18147294
VGW is a really interesting book, but as you said it is far from "legit". It's a very modern re-examination of african traditional beliefs as seen through a western gnostic, and ceremonial magic lens.

>>18147295
Ok let's start here, maybe don't refer to an entire culture of people, practices and various beliefs as "voodoo".

Let me put this shoe on the other foot with pic related... Im doing research on christians, please post stories and legends about christianity.

Where would a christian even start with a post like that? Explaining that not all christians are rednecks, explaining that christianity didn't even begin in the rural southern united states? Explaining that not all christians wear cowboy hats? Christianity isnt even a single religion?

This is what Im working with when you ask me to "educate" OP.

"Voodoo" is a word that us used, primarily in tourism, or to outsiders, to describe a complex set of non-dogmatic spiritual beliefs originating in the ancestral beliefs and practices of the african Yoruba and Dahomey people.

The primary driving force in all african diasporic faiths revolves around the reverence of ancestors. They all believe in one supreme deity with a host of spirits underneath it who act on behalf of mankind.

African Diaspora practitioners belong to several different faiths, they are black, white, hispanic, native american, and probably every other ethnicity. They come from every economic position.

I mean honestly where do I start?
>>
I'm from India.
Met a guy who practices voodoo as a profession. His thing is basically making people do as he/his client wishes.
At first I didn't believe, but I ended up buying his services and that shit worked.
>>
>>18147332
>Where would a christian even start with a post like that?

By explaining what their own personal beliefs/sect/church is like.

>Christianity isnt even a single religion?

Some christians still think it is and many people refer to it as such, but you generally don't see such a ruckus caused about it.

>I mean honestly where do I start?

You made a halfway decent attempt. Why not tell about your own beliefs, if you're a practitioner? Use this as a teaching opportunity, rather than raging about cultural misappropriation.
>>
>>18147241
You understand what you are uttering make no sense right? If anything i would be proud of people being interested in my culture. even if just the aesthetics
>>
my impression is that voodoo in general seems to be much more highly-regarded (results and reliability-wise) than most other magickal branches.

like the freezer spell is considered the most reliable for keeping people away, the honey jar the most reliable for love, plus people that do voodoo usually are the ones pointed out whenever anyone wants to pay for a result.

is it because voodoo practiotioners are usually traditional and passed-down through people instead of random internet noobs pretending to be wizards?
>>
>>18147278
>>18147252

He just said he only googled pics. And as a 3d modeler, knowing the full history of voodoo and meeting personally a thousand practitioners, won't make his character look good.
>>
>>18147357
Do the girl suck your dick or not?
>>
>>18147332
I'm not op, but I'm interested, keep going! I feel like it's hard to do any real research into voodoo because mostly what you find is the basic 'touristy' sounding stuff. I'd love to hear about the supreme deity and some of the other spirits, if you wouldn't mind.
>>
>>18147484
no I didn't i said that i have pics mostly. I have been dong some research but it is always good to base a character on real life info. Now let me tell you something you know the game god of war. what make it a great game it was made with real info about Greek Methodology and people learned. I am basing my character on real life legends and stories so people can learn a little about history. Check this out https://vimeo.com/106186817
>>
>>18147236
>Also its spelt autistic

Congratulations. He made a typo, that makes you the winner!
>>
>>18147266
>sharing and opening up the diaspora

That word... I don't think it means what you think it means.
>>
>>18147294
>quality jumping off point

Not even close. It's garbage.
>>
Sweet, a voodoo thread. I know some of you guys are complaining about asking for voodoo info instead of googling, but googling only leads to so much shit and not enough substance.

I'm sure some of you guys on this board know what voodoo actually is and can suggest some good media to digest about the legit voodoo?
>>
>>18147266
Not op, anon. Would you be willing to share any information? Useful links or books or anything about this? I've been trying to delve into it (had a great grandparent come boatside. Any history or traditions went with her.) and I'm finding nothing that doesn't seem sketchy.
>>
>>18149211
It's not exclusive to the Jews
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.