[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I've had an idea floating around in my head for a while,

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 3

File: 46294772394.jpg (2MB, 1936x2592px) Image search: [Google]
46294772394.jpg
2MB, 1936x2592px
So I've had an idea floating around in my head for a while, what if there was a language that instead of it's words being objects or actions it's words would describe ideas or concepts?
I imagine such a language would have great magical potential as it is composed entirely of symbolism.
This is the very first step towards creating such a language, an alphabet made of very broad concepts that can be combined to form fully fleshed out ideas, let me go over their meanings.

The first on the top row of symbols is Spa, pronounced spā, it primarily represents space, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent creation, science, reality, and transformations. It can be represented by the colors green and white, through things being mono colored black, and frogs.

The second on the top row of symbols is Doo, pronounced do͞o, it primarily represents doom, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent duality, rules, fate, and sacrifice. It can be represented by alternating red and blue, a white and black checkering or another ordered pattern, red flames, and alternating black and white explosions.

The third on the top row of symbols is bre, pronounced bre, it primarily represents breath, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent freedom, friendship, direction, and the breaking of earthly bonds. It can be represented by sleep, flight, and, the breeze.

The fourth on the top row of symbols is Har, pronounced här, it primarily represents heart, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent identity, order, and the soul. It can be represented by lightning.

The fifth on the top row of symbols is Ra, pronounced rā, it primarily represents rage, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent perception, religion, the narrowing of possibilities, and the past. It can be represented by blurring and any kind of opening or hole including female genitalia.
>>
The sixth on the top row of symbols is Li, pronounced lī, it primarily represents light, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent knowledge, magic, and luck. It can be represented by eyes.

The seventh on the top row of symbols is Ti, pronounced tī, it primarily represents time, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent destruction, lies, and meta-ness. It can be represented by clocks(duh) and the colors red and black.

The eighth on the top row of symbols is Fe, pronounced fe, it primarily represents life, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent power, taking a chance, and triality. It can be represented by plants.

The ninth on the top row of symbols is Blu, pronounced blə, it primarily represents blood, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent bonds, leadership, and responsibility. It can be represented by shackles, .

The tenth on the top row of symbols is Mi, pronounced mī, it primarily represents mind, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent choices and chaos.

The eleventh on the top row of symbols is Ho, pronounced hō, it primarily represents hope, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent possibilities and the future. It can be represented by angels and anything phallic(White globes, white rods, volcanoes, ect.).

The twelfth on the top row of symbols is Voi, pronounced Voi, it primarily represents void, physical, metaphorical, and metaphysical. It also can represent mystery, the unknown, and obfuscation. It can be represented by silence.
>>
>>18145597
Can you use the language for actual communication? If not, how exactly would it be used?
(Give example please)
>>
>>18145596
>it's words would describe ideas or concepts?
That's all languages, though?
>>
>>18145605
You combine the letters to create more specific concepts.
I'm not sure how it would be used for communication just yet, but I could easily see how it can be used for describing vague concepts that could be hard or even impossible to convey through normal language.
>>
>>18145621
>You combine the letters to create more specific concepts.
That sounds kinda like how Chinese works, or if you're going hyper autistic, Ithkuil
>>
>>18145621
Thanks for responding
First of, you would need a way for verbs and nouns to interact
Exempli:
add -os at the end of subjects, -sion at the end of objects, and let the verbs just be
So in english grammar:
Doo'os Spafe Voision
(Evil gives birth to the nothing)
This could work
>>18145626
No, this is not like chinese. t. bored conlanger
>>
>>18145596
I would also suggest to make the symbol's easier to write for an autist like me
Doesn't need to be simple, just easy angles and straight lines
>>
>>18145630
That's a great idea, I was kind of wondering how I would separate verbs from nouns.
>>
>>18145636
I'll get right on revising them in a bit, right now I'm typing up how they relate to each other.
>>
>>18145596
Yes! This is a phenomena I have myself encountered, not only in my own work, but in others. I have several of these, I call them "metasets".

>What is a metaset?

In my own definition, a metaset is a system, a personal system of sigils and symbols, meaning, magick and egregores/gods. In college me and a close freind both tried combining science and art, and we essentially over the course of months and now about 7 years of work on these things, we basically both have personal systems of what you have described: a magical, multipurpose,multimeaning alphabet basically, except we both attached our own constructed pantheons of gods to watch over these sigils, symbols and systems, that each relate to the given aspects of the symbols in our metasets.

I don't have the time at this moment to read yours (whatever you decide to call it), but I will be back in this thread later to tell you the constructs of my own metaset, and what sort of things I have done and do over the last seven or so years I've had this thing. I would also like to discuss this with you, answer any questions, etc.

Like I said, I have encountered these "personal symbol systems" before, and they are varied to say the least, which is great! I personally think this is the evolution of chaos magick but it could be anything really.

I'll be back to post later, ask me anything and I'll try to answer!
>>
The arrangement of the symbols in a circle has meaning to it too.

Symbols opposite of each other are, you guessed it, opposites. Together they form the extremes of a spectrum that defines all reality viewed through a certain lens, like if someone can only see things through the lens of good vs evil.

Symbols right next to each other are very close to one another, but combining them doesn't get you much as they are too close.

Put two symbols two away from each other together and they create the symbol in between them.

Symbols three away are unrelated, so if combined they give a full view of reality, but skewed to one corner.

Symbols four away cancel each other out, and if you combine all three that are four away from each other you create a trinity, or one of the four forms of god.

Symbols five away from each other are the least connected to each other and will give you the output least related to the two inputs.
>>
>>18145659
Not OP, I'm the bored conlanger here >>18145630
I am making my own conlang (constructed language for those who don't know) for this purpose. I haven't named it yet, so I'm just calling it The Language.

I am doing this by myself, so I would love to see what you did so I don't have to go through to much deliberation myself.

I can't think of any questions at the moment, but I am sure I have many. So for now, I'll just let you know about The Language

The Language is based off of proto indo european, and is SOV. It has basic grammar, for now, and needs to be very symbolic but easy to learn. Right now I am making the lexicon, but I will probably change my lexicon completely from time to time to match my magick, symbolism, and grammar
>>
Right now I just completely removed my lexicon so I could fix it, like I said >>18145682
Right now I'm basing the language off of the Sfagos, which means integer or point, which is based off of PIE "Spakos" meaning a little drop, or point
bumping
>>
>>18145726
The concept of the "point" has been in my mind for a long time now. So much rides on the point, it is dangerous, it is releasing, it in itself is an eternal vector of "this happens here".
>>
File: IMG_20160919_221006.jpg (156KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160919_221006.jpg
156KB, 1280x720px
>>18145636
Here ya go, sorry it's a bit blurry, I had to take it on my laptop camera since I can't send it from my phone.
>>
>>18145780
That looks pretty cool, I like that. It looks very runic
>>18145751
Those were my thoughts, my main question I am asking myself now is how many dimensions should my language contain?

Since I am literally starting over from scratch (except for the sound changes from PIE to The Language which accidentally is giving me a ton of 'f', which I am beginning to realize how much I like that sound), the first dimension I created is the negative-positive, being represented by Fili (from bhili) and Defs (from dus), respectively.
>>
>>18145800
*I meant positive-negative, with Fili being positive and Defs being negative, my bad
>>
Language IS symbolism. They are spells, incantations, fueled with the power of intent.

If you're thinking of a language with metaphysical origin, it could be argued that all languages are of that source but their esoteric meaning has been lost in the generations. They're still active of course. and very powerful. Just take a peak at your inner monologue. You are already using language in the way you describe, you're just not conscious of it.

Take a look at Sanskrit to find something more in line with what you're describing.
>>
Here's some silly ideas you might find some use of.

Chinese charachters have radicals; basically mini-charachters that show meaning and pronunciation for other characters. You might want to incorporate something similar.

Maybe you could try using some math symbols for conjunction and some concepts? Those are pretty widely understood.

How will it be written? Columns? Rows? Spirals? A nigh incomprehensible web of arrows, lines, and polka dots? People will need to read it to understand the meaning you want to show, right?
>>
>>18145842
>Chinese charachters have radicals; basically mini-charachters that show meaning and pronunciation for other characters. You might want to incorporate something similar.
According to bored conlanger, that isn't how it works
>>
>>18145596
Hmm? Eli is that you?
>>
>>18145849
Wait, are you me?
And it kind of works that way, why so salty?
>>
>>18145849
How does it work, then? I thought that was pretty much what they were. Like, how the character for 'very,' 'hén,' has the radical for multiple people in it to show that it speaks of a greater amount or size than would otherwise be implied.
>>
>>18145856
Nope.
My name is Joe IRL.
>>
>>18145861
I mean this charachter, and the radical is the part on the left with two diagonal lines and one vertical.

>>
>>18145861
Yes, you are right t. actual bored conlanger
We need ID's on every 4chan board before I fucking kill myself
>>
>>18145864
What a generic and very southern name.
>>
>>18145864
Anethos doesn't ring any bells then? If not, I've simply mistaken you for someone else.
>>
This reads like a tumblr xid trying xeir best to create xeir own gender.
>>
>>18145842
Oh, also, will orientation matter in your written part of your language? Will some symbols have a different meaning when viewed upside-down, like how a upside-down 'n' turns into a 'u?' That might muck some things up, somehow. Or maybe that could be incorporated? That seems kind of needlessly complicated, though.
>>
>>18145596
Yeah it would be nice to be able to express ideas and concepts like say, light, metaphysics, philosophy or the supernatural with just a single word. Too bad english doesn't have words to express concepts right?
>>
>>18145596
Runes bro.
>>
>>18145659
What is the advantage of a metaset over a preexisting language?
>>
>>18145890
I actually made the symbols specifically to be distinguishable at any angle, but I don't think that orientation should matter.

>>18145842
I was thinking just regular left to right and down, although there could be some variations for the words themselves.
My idea for how words are constructed is that there are no spaces, rather using vertical lines to differentiate between the separate words, like so:
Spa Doo Ti
Ti Doo Spa

Which would be: Spati doodoo tispa

Just in case you're wondering, I meant this sentence to mean The creation of destruction is(When one symbol is followed by the same symbol it's acts as an equals sign) the destruction of creation.
>>
http://wiki.xxiivv.com/Traumae
>>
>>18145959
I assume that the alphabet is not yet complete? Words for things like cause, reason, effect, and result might be useful. Maybe there could be a system for making new words?
>>
>>18145959
So what's the point of all this anyways?
>>
>>18146013
I would think that it could provide more detail in describing things than any single current language could. Like how when you say 'love,' it doesn't describe if its a parent-child love or sibling-sibling love or close-friend-you-would-die-for love or romantic-relationship love or actually-mostly-lust love.
>>
>>18145980
Cause: Tirali, Ti because it's temporal in nature, Ra because it is a past event and Li because it is a point that has a rippling effect on the world.
Effect: Tihovoi, Ti because it's temporal in nature, Ho because it is a future event with boundless potential and Voi because it is a mystery.

Still working on reason and result, but I meant this as an example, these twelve symbols are my lines in the sand, my way of dividing the universe itself into twelve equal units, there cannot be more without changing all of them.

>>18146013
I have been thinking in these symbols for a while now in a vague way, I want to think with the in a concrete way and maybe in the process get others to think this way as well.
>>
>>18145659
What can a metaset give/provide?
>>
>>18146042
Would ti/ho/voi have problems with communicating intended effects, since 'voi' means mystery? What about a way to describe when something is known? Also, if 'voi'=void, wouldn't 'voi' also describe a known thing, because you would know there was a lack of something?
>>
>>18145596
>what if there was a way we could add additional cruft to your user experience?
How about a way to take some away instead?
>>
>>18146056
Li is what is used for something that is known.
Void, true void, is a mystery because it not only describes nothing, but everything that does not exist, which is so insurmountably huge there is no way to even comprehend it.
>>
>>18146064
How do you say if something is false/untrue, or that one thing is not/[distinct from] another thing?
>>
>>18146087
What is falseness?
>>
>>18146089
Falseness is if a thing is not true. If you belive something to be fact and something contradicts that thing, something you know or believe doesn't fit and therefore is not true. But the belief still exists.
>>
File: Vasectomy.jpg (28KB, 326x279px) Image search: [Google]
Vasectomy.jpg
28KB, 326x279px
>>18145596

Every goddamned language already does this. You're just trying to be a special autistic snowflake by making up your own useless language that nobody will ever care about except you.
>>
>>18146105
Then what is true?
>>
>>18146116
Something you know/believe is correct. It's actually pretty hard to prove something is 'true.' A french dead guy named Descartes made a ton of hypothetical situations and came to the conclusion that the only thing someone can know exists is themselves.
>>
>>18145626
Yep, Kanji does have symbols for just about everything, including concepts and ideas. For example, they have a symbol for the concept of 'mu', which is the Taoist concept of achieving nothingness
>>
>>18145934
>What is the advantage of a metaset over a preexisting language?

Mostly for the same reasons people do chaos magick: it's completely yours, until someone else adopts your metaset to use/modify you are the only one who truly understands the intricate symbology behind your metaset, how it was put together and perhaps most importantly, why it works the way it does.

>>18146055
>What can a metaset give/provide?

I use it for magic and for purposes like OP described: You attach concepts to your sigils/symbols and they act like nodes for these concepts, and you can connect different ones to mean more copmplicated ideas as well, and use those new symbols for what basically amounts to chaos magick. That and, I use my metaset as a symbolic placeholder for my personal pantheon of gods. Each god (or pair of gods) represents what the symbols do. They are very useful, I actually mostly condone using a personal pantheon utilizing metaset because they (your personal made up gods) are so useful. Mine have been to me. But like anything good, they have been lovingly cultivated so, be careful!
>>
I've been considering looking into Ithkuil but my puny brain can't even exhaust english
>>
>>18145596
so, the ancient language from eragon?
>>
>>18147021
Or literally just English
>>
>>18146087
False would be Liti, Li for knowledge and Ti for lie.
>>
>>18145596
sign language
>>
>>18145596
OP I don't want to discourage you from doing whatever it is you're doing, but we already have languages that describe ideas and concepts. And that would be every language ever created. And unfortunately yours will fall short as all the others have had quite literally thousands of years of refinement and are very efficient. But I congratulate you on figuring out what language is, and hope the best for your language even though what you are doing is completely pointless, unproductive, and will never be seen as anything more than a childish attempt to seem smart.
>>
>>18145596
A language whose words describe ideas or concepts? You mean, like every language ever? Innovative, Chomsky, innovative.
>>
>>18145596
How is this paranormal?
>>
[spoiler] my dudes [/spoiler]
Thread posts: 61
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.