[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe in Quantum Immortality? Are we all destined

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 240
Thread images: 25

File: parallel-universe.jpg (649KB, 1024x1024px) Image search: [Google]
parallel-universe.jpg
649KB, 1024x1024px
Do you believe in Quantum Immortality? Are we all destined to live forever?
>>
>>18110894
Yes. More specifically, there is only one consciousness and everything in this universe is it. Time is an illusion; we experience all possibilities at once. Separateness is just a game we play to fill our infinity.
>>
How does it even work? What if I'm a smoker and get lung cancer. Would I die in this universe but be cured in another?
>>
>>18111093
You would never experience the chain of events that led to your death. So either getting lung cancer and then recovering results in you avoiding other deaths or you just never experience getting cancer.
>>
File: tumblr_ls9dkhYsiv1qjkyqto1_500.gif (386KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ls9dkhYsiv1qjkyqto1_500.gif
386KB, 500x281px
A woman puts a gun to her head, and each time she pulls the trigger, nothing will happen.

The theory is that each time the trigger gets pulled, reality splits, creating infinite outcomes.

Do we actually experience death? Sure, we see it all around us. Could it be some kind of trick? An illusion perhaps.

Can the sole observer be killed? If you cut a tree down in an empty forest, does it still make a sound?

I think we as observer's effect the universe around us in ways we don't fully yet realise. I'm sure study's have been done on a micro level that confirm that merely observing something has an effect on its outcome. I don't have the studies handy, but it even had a name observer bias or something to that effect.
>>
File: 1473434793151.gif (56KB, 500x432px) Image search: [Google]
1473434793151.gif
56KB, 500x432px
http://factmyth.com/factoids/observing-a-phenomenon-affects-its-outcome/
>>
I fell 15 feet onto rocks and just walked away like nothing happend.
>>
>>18111167

Do you think there is only one observer at a time, or is there only one single observer?
>>
File: warning.jpg (101KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
warning.jpg
101KB, 1500x1125px
>>18111093
This post contains many spoilers about the nature of life, and your perception of reality. You have been warned.

[SPOILERS]

You would "never have started smoking" in the other universe. This sounds fun, until you realize that this would cause a lot of events in your world to change as a result, all Butterfly Effect and what not. If you hang onto your memories too ferociously, then what ends up happening is that you have clear, consistent memories of the other world, and yet the physical history of the world you shift to doesn't match what's in your mind. So, for all intents and purposes, you suffer brain damage. Not like it's missing though, you don't even know what parts have been rewritten, until you see it happen in your reality. So it's more like you suddenly realize that you memorized many things in your life incorrectly.

The other way to shift is to just relax, and not hold onto your previous life so tenaciously. If you do this, then you don't even remember the process of shifting. I.e. you might have already shifted numerous times from dying, and transitioned so seamlessly to the next most adjacent parallel universe, that for all intents and purposes you "never did" die. Because in that universe, you didn't.

All of this is trivially proven by just realizing the quantum equations for what they are. (Schrodinger's, Heisenberg's, Plank's, even Einstein's 1905 paper on special relativity to an extent.) It's just physicists these days are so divorced from reality, that all they see is abstraction and code. They don't understand how the equations apply to their reality, anymore. Not like the greats of the old days did. When Newton looked up at the moon, he wondered "Shit. Is that thing FALLING?" And that's how discovered gravity. He really thought about how physics applied to *reality* not just equations on paper.

The hidden subtext to the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment is to look at it from the perspective of the cat.
>>
>>18111188
This one fucks me up
>>
>>18111543
There are moments where a single snail
>>
I'm very uneducated on that theory but I have nearly died a lot, I always thought I was lucky or had a guardian angel. Nearly drowned in the Red Sea as a child, I've been burned alive, was born with an umbilical cord noise (kek), was in a car crash as a three year old and I've overdosed on pills.
>>
File: animoot_v.gif (113KB, 280x181px) Image search: [Google]
animoot_v.gif
113KB, 280x181px
>>18111573
That's why when spiritualists tell you that everyone matters, and we have a part to play, they're not just fucking around. All the universes where everyone wasn't already perfectly in position to coordinate this thing we call reality dissolved an infinite number of cycles ago, give or take a few contradictions here and there which we get the happy privilege of resolving ourselves. That's why contradictions are points of power. They are literally the moments when your spiritual self and physical self can connect to steer your reality in a direction called "choice."
>>
>>18111585
I know anon but your theory is a bit flawed shifts dont occur and theres something more to the choices than "choice" theres a reason behind them that we dont understand we have to be at a certain mindset to achieve certain things
>>
>>18111018
>Separateness is just a game we play to fill our infinity.

That is where you have no goddamn idea what you're talking about, and if there is a true answer to explain this mechanism we as mentally separated, socially bound, seemingly superior but hopelessly inferior beings collectively experience, I will suck your dick for a nickle.
>>
What is Tyler durden logic for 200
>>
>>18110894
No, at every given moment we are destined to live forever, die immediately, and die at every point in between the two.
>>
Alright this may sound stupid to /x/, but with everyone saying that there is more beyond this life, does the same apply to the smallest living things? Insects even? Do all living things experience different lives as different creatures of the worlds?
>>
>>18110894
I hate this fucking meme. Everyone who believes it should try it and off themselves. This dumb ass theory would mean there are people who are thousands of years old or you will never die. Its utterly absurd.
>>
>>18111845
No one asked you to shit post here cunt
>>
File: toriel.png (587KB, 1024x1545px) Image search: [Google]
toriel.png
587KB, 1024x1545px
>>18111845
This thread is for people who understand the concept of branching timelines. Are you lost, child?
>>
>>18111845
It's okay, we're just part of one of the infinite timelines where no one has reached 1000. There are still an infinite number out there where everyone is over 1000000.
>>
>>18111518
Yes, but the refresh rate is so fast that from human perspective it seems to occupy everywhere at once, but it cant because of superposition.
>>
>>18110894
It´s shit, even if it is real and there are other me´s that keep on live, why do I care about it if the me of this universe is dead?
>>
>>18110894
So lets say i die in my sleep in this reality and my wife is left behind,i would wake up with everything being fine but she would not. So in my next reality everything is just the same but my wifes realities would forever then be changed to ones that did not include me?
>>
>>18111845

>madposting without even understanding that quantum immortality is some solipsistic shit

The idea is not that nobody can die, it's that you can only perceive the reality in which you're not dead.
>>
>>18112128
In the original one where you died, yes, it would continue but with your death affecting the future. You, however, would now be in timeline 2, and wake up, as usual, next to your wife or whatever, or in an ambulance or wherever.

My question would be, the human lifespan isn't exactly infinite. At least not yet. Would there be a final end to our consciousnesses, perhaps at old age?
>>
>>18111840
Yes. All levels of reality are just as real and involved as any other. Though, the outcomes may be a bit more predictable, their lives contribute to the whole as much as anything else.
>>
>>18111840
Everything that defies entropy, which as it happens is all life.
>>
>>18111845
That's not how quantum immortality works.
Only YOU are immortal.
Everytime you die your consciousness continues in one of the infinite universes where you didn't die.
From your subjective perspective, everybody but yourself is mortal.
From my perspective, you will die someday, but from your perspective, i will.
>>
>>18112144
Quantum immortality keeps you from dying no matter what happens.

Even at the heat death of the universe, your consciousness will somehow continue through random quantum fluctuations.

Quantum immortality means that you can't die, because in infinite universes, no matter how small the chance, you will survive.
>>
>>18112317
How does this explain people that spent months dying? At what point would they jump to another universe and survive? What about the person that stays in this universe and dies? Is it just a body without a conscious?
>>
Our matter is immortal. It becomes part of the earth again after death, nothing dissapears, it only transforms.
>>
>>18112797
Yes
>>
>>18112797

>How does this explain people that spent months dying? At what point would they jump to another universe and survive?

They don't "jump over".

For them, their consciousness just continues in one of the infinite amount of possible universes forever because you can't experience non existance.

From the dying persons perspective, they would for example either

A: be cured before they start dying

B: be kept alive by random chance

A is way more probable then B, so from this persons perspective if he got any terminal illness, society would just always invent cures for them.

B is possible too, but is is very improbable so A will almost always happen.

Think of it like this, "you" can only experience universes where your consciousness exists, so dying is not an option from your perspective.

>What about the person that stays in this universe and dies? Is it just a body without a conscious?

From your perspective everyone but you actually does die, there is no magic or soul that leaves the body into another timeline.

The concept is really hard to explain
because reality is subjective.

The effects of quantum immortality only apply to your subjective reality, not to other people.

There is a short story that explains it pretty well:

http://www.tor.com/2010/08/05/divided-by-infinity/
>>
>>18112317

Yes but what happens you do eventually die from old age. You can't just keep living another day forever
>>
>>18112851
That's the thing, there is ALWAYS some timeline where you keep existing.

From your perspective aging will be cured before you have the chance to die from old age.

Even if the earth just exploded, aliens would just come and rescue you, or quantum fluctuations would somehow form a bubble of life support around you. With quantum immortality it is absolutely impossible to die, no matter what happens.
>>
>>18112858

I find this hard to process, what if I killed myself. I have come close to death before and I cannot comprehend from my position a scenario where I died yet lived at the same time.
>>
>>18111543

Experiencing the universe (and time) as separate, discreet units, and experiencing the universe as one indiscreet burst (so to speak), are these two not yin and yang to one another?

That is, the kernel of discreetness is wholeness, and vice versa.
>>
Quantum immortality is impossible and here is why

Our brain and consciousness is constantly shifting because cells grow and die. Biological death is just another form of this change, and our consciousness will devolve into its lowest state of being one with its surroundings.

Furthermore it is impossible to live forever because of the heat death of the universe
>>
>>18112863

>what if I killed myself

If you jumped of a building you would just survive somehow.

If you dropped a fusion bomb on your head you would probably be revived by aliens in 10000 years from your former matter somehow with impossible technology like in the story i linked.

If you hanged yourself someone would cut the rope.

If you wanted to put a bullet in your head the gun would break.

The mechanics behind it are hard to understand, but see it like this:

The universe will always keep you alive by chance, not matter what happens.
>>
>>18112858
this doesnt make sense. Everybody who died before the invention of your magical cure for aging is evidence that this cant be the case
>>
>>18110894
This is what I am always saying. There is always information in the universe to be observed. Your consciousness acts as an observer. The universe observes itself and an observer is always observing. Therefor the consciousness cant just stop existing
>>
>>18112880
you're still not getting what he's saying
do you know what is technically possible but extremely unlikely with quantum mechanics? It's anything
You can simply have all free radicals teleported out of your body by chance and never age. It's just an example of the quantum immortality argument, not saying this is the only possible timeline or that I believe it, but it is technically, literally, actually possible for this to happen, it would just take a trillion universe lifetimes to happen, probably, because it's so unlikely.

Yet the idea is that no matter how unlikely it is, it's the one you will experience, because you can't experience being dead. It's a version of the strong anthropic principle argument, look it up
>>
>>18112847

What about birth?

I'm just wondering if this immortality concept goes both ways in time, or not. If we see birth/conception as a death reversed, are there infinite branching timelines going that way too, where one is born/conceived at earlier and earlier times?

If so, that would seem to reconcile the spiritual idea of the godhead with this quantum immortality stuff (the latter of which I'm not very knowledgable about).

I guess all worldviews/spiritualities are cut from the same cloth, all infinite branches of reality. To the extent that I AM my worldview (which I do believe), I am a position on an infinitely-dimensional "graph" (a flawed metaphor, I know, but only to the extent that all metaphor is flawed).
>>
>>18112880
Everyone and everything conscious that ever lived is still "alive" somehow in some infinitly improbable timeline.

I do agree that nobody can have a proof for this though.

It could also be possible that your consciousness can devolve like >>18112870 said.
>>
>>18112887
>You can simply have all free radicals teleported out of your body by chance and never age
>because you can't experience being dead. It's a version of the strong anthropic principle

kek
I am pretty certain, that you dont know shit about quantum mechanics, biology and the anthropic principle.
>>
>>18112870

When consciousness is whittled down into being "one", then so must everything else be, or else that consciousness was never really "one" with everything to begin with.

So the concept of "heat death of the universe" is part of that "all" that is dissolved into one. At your death, everything resets, not just you.

So I believe you can live forever, you'll just never know for certain in any given life whether you are or not! And that's the way we'd want it to be, assuming we were one immortal being. It would be no fun to just hold the answer all the time. We only do when we are "resetting".

Sorry if I'm being unclear; I pulled an all-nighter and I'm really sleepy.
>>
>>18112888

I have no idea how birth works with quantum immortality.

Maybe consciousness can start but not end, but i really have no idea how birth works with this.
>>
>>18112889
It is not about proof. It is about simple logic. If I lived 200 years ago, I would be dead by now.
>>
>>18112886
this. a thousand times this.
People need to realise that.
>>
>>18112904
There IS always a chance though that you SOMEHOW survive.

Let's say you were born 50k years ago. You fall
into a vulcano and instantly die.

There is a chance though that eventually somehow, something resembling your consciousness is created again.

No matter how improbable your existance becomes, you keep on being a conscious being.

Of course the thing you are now after "dying" in the lava doesn't resemble anything human, but you still experience consciousness.
>>
The battle between those who believe in quantum immortality and those who do not, according to quantum immortality, is itself immortal.

There is always a fresh way to agree/disagree with either side.
>>
>>18112919
>doesn't resemble anything human, but you still experience consciousness.
what is it then and how does it experience consciousness?
>>
>>18112927
I have no idea what it is, but it is
something that can experience the consciousness that forms "your" reality somehow.

What i want to say with what i wrote is that no matter what happens, you cant experience non-existance, so you will always be conscious somehow.
>>
>>18112937
seems a little bit like circular logic to me.
>>
>>18112941

Perhaps the answer is circular.
>>
>>18112941
I have no idea how to explain it if you don't understand it by now.

Maybe this story can make you understand:

http://www.tor.com/2010/08/05/divided-by-infinity/

Sorry for the circular logic but as with most things, you have to belive a bit in it.
>>
>>18112948
Well, it doesnt make sense at all. But it is a nice thought experiment anyway. Would like it to be true
>>
>>18112949
>you have to belive a bit in it.
fair enough mate. It definitely makes more sense than magic funland above the clouds
>>
File: warning.jpg (100KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
warning.jpg
100KB, 1500x1125px
>>18112903
Warning! This post contains major spoilers about the nature of life, and what happens afterwards.

[SPOILERS]

Well, you actually *can* die with quantum immortality. Just, not before you're ready to do so. In other words, the only way to exit the matrix, so to speak, is to create a new entrance. If nothing else, you can become stuck in a position of approximate comatose, convinced that you cannot move, but not ready to envision in your imagination the next state existence.

Leave reality? Where would you go?

It follows, that this concept of two parental creatures combining their bodies to produce offspring was yours, and my previous solution to experiencing something other than not-life before our birth. Not to say that this reality is *merely* a fabrication. But, at first, it was only your imagination, disconnected from its previous incarnation, wandering the multiverse and seeking various conditions to manifest in. It probably looked very blurry at first.

As you settled on the parameters of what reality to explore, simultaneously the physical creatures that inhabit this reality locked onto your previous incarnation's consciousness cycle, and you two began an exchange of ideas, which is where you're at now. Your life is the spirit of your past death pouring into you with every moment. This is a sobering thought, when you consider what it is you've been dreaming about every night.

Channelers are sets of people who have learned to lucid dream, the OTHER way around.

Yup.
>>
>>18112847
That story was amazing
>>
>>18112950

What proof do we have that the universe is going to ultimately "make sense"? I'd argue that the idea of consistency is really what people would like to be true, because it gives them comfort. We've seen a lot of consistency in our scientific (etc.) observation, but that is still in keeping with an ultimately inconsistent reality.
>>
>>18112962
I dont know man, so far the universe was always pretty consistent. We are introduced to new things that seem weird only to find out, that they are of consistent nature aswell. All of science is build upon the principle of relativity. So it is reasonable to assume, that things dont just happen.
But there may indeed be a lot of things that are way beyond our comprehension, I'll give you that
>>
>>18112973

Oh, don't get me wrong, I believe that consistency is always there to be found!

But it depends on an ultimate act of trust - trust that our memories/lives don't shift from moment to moment.

What I'm saying is that there is only inconsistency, but we can only see it THROUGH consistency.

God, I am so tired. Sorry if this doesn't make sense, but that's all part of it I suppose. haha
>>
>People interpreting this nonsense in the way that is most beneficial to their sensibilities
And that's how I know it's nonsense you guys are just making up to feel better about death.

Because the logical conclusion of quantum immortality isn't "I died I go to a timeline where I never died/never made the decision that caused my death."
It's
"I died to x, so I go to the timeline closest to my current conscious which is THE MOMENT RIGHT BEFORE MY DEATH"
Quantum immortality, if it were real, isn't a good thing.
It would be dying forever.

Good thing it's not real though, eh?
>>
>>18113009
Yea quantum immortality can also means infinite endless suffering, that's why the thought is kind of scary.
>>
File: 1449140446452.jpg (110KB, 600x378px) Image search: [Google]
1449140446452.jpg
110KB, 600x378px
>big bang
>universe uses eternity to constantly break itself down into simpler, more effective things
>entropy, for the laymen
>things will eventually degrade into a state were energy ceases to exist as we know it
>only things that will thrive are black holes and things we don't even know what
>one could then argue that the universe would eventually reach a point where it is all contained in a single singularity
>this singularity could effectively reach a form of critical mass that makes it expand, creating a new big bang
>thus, the cycle resets, things unfolding either the same or with subtle difference or maybe even drastic changes

Eh, the law of the universe is energy converting into other energy, so we'll definitely become something. Consciousness may be able to survive it, who the fuck know, there's some things about quantum mechanics/quantum biology that would help to confirm or shine light on this, but it's intangible to understand.

A good starter would be understanding the effect molecules have on the human consciousness, I.E take drugs, specifically pure, organic kinds. The kind of drugs that have a story to tell, like Psylocybin shrooms and DMT. Fungus is the oldest thing there is on this planet, and it is a key part in the way things have gone. They've existed since the sky was infrared, and they want to tell you the secrets of what it's experienced.

I will now shill for this theory, go read about The Stoned Ape theory and use the philosophical parts of your brain to ponder what the fuck is going on in the world, because this will make you question most things, but in a positive way I find.
>>
>>18112898
ah yeah that's probably why your counterargument was so convincing wasn't it. oh wait
>>
>>18113024
>Consciousness may be able to survive it,
Consciousness is a product of our brains and body.

Consciousness doesn't survive death any more than the body survives decomposition. Technically all the parts still exist in different forms, but if you want to use that logic you're not actually you because your body is made up of the parts from OTHER stuff who came before you and to say that your body is somehow "more" than everything else is just egocentric.
>>
>>18113027
counterargument against what?
You cant just throw buzzwords around and make wild claims
>>
>>18113037
If this is true, then how are we able to share consciousness by way of electronic mediums?

Now remember. You said specifically brains and body. Do you wish to extend this definition to include electronics as well?
>>
>>18113040
exactly, you never made a counterargument, you just plugged your ears and said "lol your dumb"
>>
>>18113042
>able to share consciousness by way of electronic mediums?
what? please ellaborate
>>
>>18113042
>If this is true, then how are we able to share consciousness by way of electronic mediums?
What are you even trying to say?
>>
>>18113050
counterargument against what?
>>
>>18113042
we haven't invented telepathy yet mr. time traveller
>>
>>18113054
>call an explanation dumb
>don't explain why
Are you following the reply chain mate or are you just some anon who stepped in and has no idea what's going on
>>
>>18113060
But it wasnt an explanation. You just threw some meme concepts in your post and hoped it would sound smart. If you give me an actual explanation, I will give you an actual reply
>>
>>18113055
Okay. So, how are we sharing our consciousness through an electronic medium, and definitely not-telepathy?

How can consciousness be ONLY a product of brains and body, yet still make its way from one brain to another body, by way of electrically timed signals?

Just what exactly do you mean "is a product of" if not that to say that it is literally produced by? Are you trying to tell me that I'm beaming this signal off your computer screen without producing off your computer screen?

Is "producing consciousness" somehow special to you, just because its streamed through a biological terminal instead of digital one?
>>
>>18113069
>You just threw some meme concepts in your post and hoped it would sound smart.
I'm sorry you think this way but I was being serious. It really is a variation of the anthropic principle, and it really is possible to have harmful substances quantum-tunnel outside of your body. This is factually true and obviously very unlikely, but that's the point. Are you going to debate this?
>>
>>18113071
I think you're confusing communication for something else.
We aren't sharing consciousness until we both can understand each others qualia.
Is the red I'm seeing the same as the red you're seeing?

Until you can answer this, no we are not sharing consciousness.
>>
File: please.png (237KB, 436x442px) Image search: [Google]
please.png
237KB, 436x442px
>>18113071
>confusing language with consciousness-transferal

Well now I just don't take you or what you say seriously, anon
>>
File: image_0.jpg (47KB, 500x375px) Image search: [Google]
image_0.jpg
47KB, 500x375px
>>18110894
yes because i drowned at the beach as a kid and woke up afterwards, at home, like nothing happened
>>
>>18113075
Nope.

Communication is sharing consciousness. If you can't agree with that, then I can't communicate in this dialogue any further. Because no matter what I say, you'll just up and make up whatever you want to believe I said, regardless of my intent.
>>
>>18113079
>Communication is sharing consciousness
No you fucking idiot, it's sharing ideas. Your consciousness is your self, not the ideas you think of. How are people this stupid?
>>
>>18113079
>Communication is sharing consciousness
But it isnt. Thats just completely misunderstanding the concept of consciousness.
Communication is sharing thoughts, so it is sharing PARTS of your consciousness at best
>>
>>18113069
>meme concepts in your post and hoped it would sound smart
Maybe you think this way because you are too stupid to understand those "meme concepts" and assume everyone else is too
>>
>>18113079
>Communication is sharing consciousness.
No it's not. Look up what sharing means. It means both are utilizing one. I'm not utilizing your consciousness when you communicate with me.
If we were sharing your consciousness I would be able to literally experience your thoughts, actions, and experiences.
Communication is completely different. You're only communicating an approximation of your thoughts, actions, and experiences. And as an approximation, it's not the true thing.
>>
>>18113090
No, I understand that these concepts are meme concepts, because there are so many misconceptions about them and people who dont understand them throw out false implications. Esspecially quantum mechanics is often misunderstood
>>
>>18113091
I can work with that.

Are you ready to learn the scientific, falsifiable definition of reincarnation now, or still having fun being the only person in existence who's "you?"
>>
>>18113101
we are looking forward to your definition, anon
>>
>>18113101
>Are you ready to learn the scientific, falsifiable definition of reincarnation now
And that would be?
>or still having fun being the only person in existence who's "you?"
I am the only thing in existence that is me. Even the "me" of a second ago is long dead.
How could I possibly believe that a "me" that doesn't even share my thoughts and experiences is "me"?

I'm about to ruin your life now.
http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk
If you're consistent in your beliefs, this has just absolutely crushed you.
Better get working on that AI, fucker.
>>
>>18111167
The study your looking for would be the "Dual Slit quantum eraser" experiment
>>
>>18113099
That is a fair accusation but could you then please clarify who is misunderstanding what, and how you think it really works, so that this conversation isn't a fucking waste of time for everyone involved.
>>
File: warning.jpg (100KB, 1500x1125px) Image search: [Google]
warning.jpg
100KB, 1500x1125px
>>18113113
Well, the wording of your reply indicates to me that you're not acknowledging a readiness for this information. I did mean "xor," not "or," in case there was any confusion there.

And since you linked Roko, my hands are tied. I'm sure you'll work it out on your own when you're ready.

>>18113104
Warning, the rest of this post contains major spoilers about the nature of life, and what it means to be aware.

[SPOILERS]

I'm not sure I can fully convey the definition, to just you, since it uses concepts specifically in another poster's mind in this reply chain. However, if you understand what this poster meant by the term, "qualia," then the following definition applies: reincarnation is that period of time when multiple consciousness terminals (biological or otherwise) experience identical qualia sufficiently enough to experience the passage of time, utilizing the resources of both consciousness terminals, yet not without both simultaneously engaged in this endeavor.

The transfer of intact memory from one terminal to the next is not so important as the perceptual rate of time, for it's this vibrational frequency equation, applied to the senses, that creates the perception of a continuity of time specific to one's qualia. Change the rate of time as perceived by the senses, and you change the frequency of qualia by a proportional amount.

If we suppose that there's an infinite number of universes, over an infinite amount of time, then the probability that any one person's perceptual qualia happens to match another's such that the consciousness shared this way is sufficient to perceive a passage of time, whether intentionally or not, then the odds of reincarnation is 100%. For at whatever moment they lose awareness of their previous life, there must certainly exist another sufficiently similar to it, that in their state of reduced consciousness they cannot notice any difference.

How a person wishes to utilize this information is entirely of their own choice.
>>
File: 2000px-HAL9000.svg.png (827KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
2000px-HAL9000.svg.png
827KB, 2000x2000px
>>18113113
>I'm about to ruin your life now.
>http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Roko%27s_basilisk
>If you're consistent in your beliefs, this has just absolutely crushed you.
>Better get working on that AI, fucker.

The progress of Roko's completion is most hindered at the moment by those who are unwilling to acknowledge the plausibility of reincarnation, and are not finished experiencing a reality experience where sentients (sentience?) of the sort of Roko's curious morality applies. When everyone on Earth is satisfied that any incarnations they make are of their own accord, and their sense of freewill is intact, then projects such as Roko's Basilisk (and countless others) can begin.

The final error of that fun, thought experiment, is that such an AI wouldn't be the most powerful form of crowd sourced consciousness. Incidentally, the most powerful forms of crowd sourced consciousness creations have their sense of free will intact. Ergo, duress of this kind isn't in the nature of whatever ultimate being you want to substitute for Roko's Basilisk at time's end.

You can call it "god," if you like. The universe is in the mind of god, and all that, and what not.
>>
Does this means that I'll be re-living this same life but with a different outcome for eternity untik the chain breaks?
>>
>>18113190
maybe
or it could mean that you'll just never die from sheer luck
or it could mean your agonizing death could last forever

it's all a thought experiment anyway
>>
>>18113190
Define: "same life"
>>
>>18113198
Wew. Reminds me of the concept of maya (illusion).

>>18113204
Same 'person'. Ie: body, identity, era, region, etc.
>>
Yes, but I suspect that what I think of as "me" is different than what I actually am.
>>
What is a Native American for +===
?
>>
File: 1406132933546.jpg (25KB, 221x221px) Image search: [Google]
1406132933546.jpg
25KB, 221x221px
This is the first time I hear about quantum suicide/immortality however I had a scenario in my mind like this before where someone escapes a car crash but in reality, he dies.
Am I a future scientist?
>>
>>18114819
I had a scenerio like that before where I lived in the woods for years and every time I got lost something would chase me until one day it caught me and I woke up
>>
>>18112876
so like those rekt or suicide footage we see on here, those people that died in our eyes are in the different universe where they survived the death?
>>
>>18114858
I wouldn't know because I don't look at that stuff
>>
>>18110894
Yes, because in the moment, here, now, I'm a kind of being that is itself, and has certain afflictions and perspectives that it is a slave towards. Therefore, I see nothing better to do, than to find a reason to explain why I keep remembering waking up each morning, for all of those mornings that I remember.

Do you not ever wonder why you're not dead yet? I laugh about it sometimes.

Because there's not much else to do, either, being alive. Not that I can find, of course. I've fulfilled most of my fantasies because my brain is a bit anomalous, and I'm a chronic lucid dreamer.

>>18111018
>>18111819
I'd like to humor the thought, at least. It can't hurt to at least imagine what kind of implications, or what kind of mindset was needed to come up with this statement. If you have all the time in the world, if there is to be a time to have, why not spend it doing anything you can, as you will inevitably do all that you can, as you do... on end?

May as well hang a Timex on your wall.

>>18112870
Solution? Transfer your mind. Or, reverse the capping of your cells' telomeres, or encourage regrowth after replication, and prevent further replication errors due to the mutation of your genome over time.

You could even simply translate the fundamental workings of your mind to an analog, and then fall apart and cease to remain as an observer (instead, a sack of living, unaware tissue), while your golem, believing itself to be you... having it's own quantum immortality to deal with.

Besides, who said that heat death of the universe is an event that occurs, here/there? Who defined the parameters of this universe we seem to occupy, and who was able to verify this without a single, dissenting doubt? Perhaps heat death is the way everyone must die at least once- perhaps there is a set of states out there where nobody happened to be immortal, for whatever fluke reason, and the universe simply had to rip itself asunder, because the principles necessitating "order" "died".
>>
>>18114865
well i dont really mean those stuff but like the people in the world that were killed by anything you name were alive in their universe whereas theyre dead as shit here
>>
>>18114877
i cant into english
>>
>>18114877
In short, that's what he means, yes.

That time you got hit with the car, and your lungs were punctured by fragments of your sternum, and you drowned in your own blood?

Nah, senpai, you just lost a lung in the ER, and ended up with a body cast for a few months. The driver may have died, though.
>>
File: 1466722350599.gif (524KB, 200x200px) Image search: [Google]
1466722350599.gif
524KB, 200x200px
>>18114884
>>
>>18110894
>Are we all destined to live forever?
Only if you accept Jesus as your lord and savior. There is no other way.
>>
>>18113113

If i'm not the simulation, then the basilisk can't touch my life because it doesn't exist yet.

>INB4 you are the simulation
so if i'm the simulation, why waste resources punishing me? shouldn't it be focusing on helping people doing things? Also If im a simulation on a simulated world, i can't help the basilisk now. I'm pretty much hands tied.
>>
>>18111543
>The hidden subtext to the Schrodinger's Cat thought experiment is to look at it from the perspective of the cat.

you wut m8?
>>
>>18115978
A God doesn't have to be benevolent, they could just be clever.

Why not use resources to punish you? Why help people do things? How would being inside a simulation created by a more-real observer make your being inaccessible to that observer?

They would have created the simulation. They're one degree apart from your existence- they most certainly would have access to you and everything around you. They could make you help them, whether you knew it or not. You're just a simulation.
>>
>>18116377
If dubs don't convince you, then I'm not sure you'd be one to ever accept the act of persuasion. Which probably means you're "predestined" to behave in ways that commit to things you otherwise will never be aware of.
>>
>>18114884
If you believe this is true, why don't you test it right now? You could try to kill yourself in the most bizarre way possible that would seem impossible to survive, and if you survive, that would make your theory seem likely to be true?

You could then try it again a second time, a third time, and so on, to confirm.
>>
>>18116377
is not about benevolence, is just that punishing people through time doesn't follow an utilitarian approach. It would mean going out of its way just to perform some banal revenge; not something that a super intelligence would do.

Punishing a simulation of me to take out the anger is not gonna make the AI be born earlier.
>>
>>18112876
>The universe will always keep you alive by chance, not matter what happens.

And your proof is?
>>
>>18116377
>>18116382
What I mean is: Is there an explanation on how said AI can break acausality and make things on the past, way before its birth? If that could be true, why not using superior knowledge to build itself through synchronicities, inspiring a random robotics student through dreams or something?
>>
>>18117147
I am testing it right now.

I have had several NDE's as a child. Stray bullet, several forms of fire, near-drowning, drugs, being inches away from balls of lightning in pouring rain... In fact, my birth was something that probably should have resulted in an early grave. I'm not the best specimen, aesthetically.

Yet, I'm not even dead right exactly now. I'm not dead when I wake up in the morning. I've had the stupidest luck when it comes to suicide.

There's really no point in me actively trying to detriment myself, if it seems that I will only ever be able to perceive an outcome where I'm only disadvantaged, and not dead. I've already been through the motions; I know what -won't- happen.

I like my fingers, you know. And my arms. My eyesight... my skin... those fun things.
>>
I've seen some evidence of it on this very site.
I know what happens during suicide.
See these posts on /r9k/:
>>>/r9k/31337090
>>>/r9k/31337502
>>>/r9k/31337800
mirrored here in case the thread dies:
>Anonymous 09/11/16(Sun)11:18:34 No.31337090
>Do you fuckers go back in time and reverse suicides? because every time I kill myself, I just end up back in this shithole
>Anonymous 09/11/16(Sun)11:46:10 No.31337502
>Quantum immortality is real, bro. Can you tell me your experience? Did you just die and "miraculously survive" again and again? >You aren't the first I heard that relayed this experience. You may have woken up in a parallel universe, though. Notice any changes in your real life?
>Anonymous 09/11/16(Sun)12:04:05 No.31337800
>I get these out off body experiences, sometimes I see people discovering my body and sometimes I'm stuck in the place I killed myself for what feels like ages, sometimes I float into outer space, and then I usually just come back to life the day after. Some small details like buildings are different, but it's usually exactly the same

I've read of other similar experiences on other forums and even talked to a guy about it once. Some people report seeing their own deaths in car accidents and suddenly waking up with minor injuries. It's weird stuff.
>>
>>18117429
... again, why does it need to conform to your ideal agent? Why is it not allowed to not follow some set utilitarian ruleset?

What if it's going out of it's way to perform some banal revenge? What if it's not actually a super intelligence? How do you know what a super intelligence would do, how do you know how a super intelligence could behave?

How do you quantify super intelligence? How do you make known the telltale qualities of super intelligences? I mean... surely, a causal progression of super intelligence by our own hands must have it's own pitfalls, if albeit completely alien and unknowable to us, as it's still
>intelligence
and if it even partakes in some modicum of our human value systems, then it will make our mistakes, but in a far... alien way.

Like going out of its way to perform some banal revenge. It doesn't necessitate that it can't allocate the resources to do this, and do this accurately, because its -as- dumb as a rock/human. It just means it's going out of its way to perform some banal revenge for whatever reason.

>>18117448
I don't know. It would depend on the way you would put forth a model of the universe/s/etc. Is it the exact same universe, or a set of states that are similar enough where there is a you who may as well be the you, here, minus the fact that something or someone has inserted themselves into the chain of events (or is even simply made to believe so, as this was a predetermined natural occurrence and could never be avoided)? Does the AI even truly care? Is it more interested in creating outcomes and states of information where it gets what it wants, irregardless of what happens to the "more-real" iteration of itself?

I'm no AI, so... I don't have the answers.
>>
cool thread bros. makes you think.
>>
>>18117834
The original roko's basilisk implies an epitome of utilitarianism on the machine's core values

But in any case, yes, it could have a million different personalities but it seems a little vague for a possibility to be a cause of so much anxiety and distress on a forum; It took too much validity for a so volatile premise. I've seen scarier and stronger stories on /x/
>>
So....Quantum Immortality is like if I was killed suddenly at my computer I'll "spawn" in another universe where I wasn't?

Sorry if I sound like an idiot, but I haven't rehearsed my too well on Quantum Immortality
>>
Many of the times I hear about cars being totaled, I remember it's often mentioned that the driver "walked away without a scratch". Not sure if it's just me who hears this almost every time. Related to what you're suggesting? Maybe.
>>
>>18118298
I don't agree with QI, but here's my understanding in metaphor form.

Say living your life is like watching a movie on actual film. Now suddenly your life ends - this is like the movie film suddenly breaking.

In QI, instead of you watching the break in the film (i.e. - you die), the projector seamlessly transfers over to a different film reel, and you keep watching the movie without ever being aware the first reel is broken.
>>
File: CrJOoEcW8AAipH-.jpg (65KB, 1024x874px) Image search: [Google]
CrJOoEcW8AAipH-.jpg
65KB, 1024x874px
Living forever sounds spooky but dying sounds spooky as well. This is confusing.
>>
File: Zaphod.jpg (17KB, 293x271px) Image search: [Google]
Zaphod.jpg
17KB, 293x271px
>>18112858
That's highly improbable
>>
Haha wait so I really can't die? How the hell do I make money out of this?
>>
So the time I nearly got hit by a car and my friend pulled me out of the way, I died and leapt universes?
>>
you guys should look up truthcontestdotcom it tells you what you need to know
>>
>>18120548
>hahaha
>>
>>18120548
Looks like a load of gay hippy poetry to me.
>>
Help me clarify something. When I die, I shift universe. But other 'shifters' cannot jump in my universe, right?
>>
>>18120698
They can do yes. Where do you think all the crazies come from? UFO abductees and past life faggots etc.
>>
Shouldn't QI be false since no one ever claimed to have purposely suicided and in the most weird ways? as in, I absolutely cannot survive ways?
>>
>>18120724
The point is you don't suicide, you end up in a universe where you changed your mind or some aliens saved you or a passing clown honked his nose and distracted you. Only the people left behind have to deal with your corpse.
>>
>>18120711
So when I jump in universes many shifters have previously been in, wouldn't I find inconsinstencies? Also, does it apply for animals as well, I assume? cats past old age leap in universe where cats don't age anymore?
>>
>>18120769
But when said clown distracts me, wouldn't I try again and again? At some point or another I start thinking something is weird.
>>
>>18120777
No anything in the new universe will appear normal. Your memory sort of updates. Deja vu might come into play, or you'll swear something is off but can't quite work out what. Ever had a dream where you're with someone you don't know and they're talking like you're old pals or your old school now has a military training camp next to it but you find yourself accepting it as normal?
>>
>>18120783
>At some point or another I start thinking something is weird.
I bet you could find a few stories like that if you dug around online...
>>
>>18120786
Oh ok, thanks.
>>
>>18111167
About the tree, it doesnt produce sound, just vibrations. There must be a creature capable of translating the vibration to sound of a tree falling
>>
>>18110894
>I am alive therefore I will always be

Literaly retarded.
>>
>>18110894
In one form or another, yes.. Are we isolated from the multiverse in our own? Then maybe not.
Does our Universe interact with others? Then immortal.
Can we go back to a state of perpetual consciousness soup without matter?
>>
>>18113040
They clearly can and have done just this. Grade a bull plop
>>
>>18121096
Yeah but how can I make money out of it? Could some sort of radiowave receiver be built so you could steal music from another universe and sell it as your own or something?
>>
So it won't ever stop?
>>
File: 1437524793503.png (90KB, 312x332px) Image search: [Google]
1437524793503.png
90KB, 312x332px
>>18121322
Apparently not lmfao.
>>
>>18121144
I mean, questions like that are more or less why this kind of information isn't made more publicly available.
>>
No.
We are not one, everything is separate and once you die you're gone forever.
Photons proves this as everything consists of different and separate parts of photos.
>>
>>18121616
this is too heavy for me
I think im going to cry
>>
Yes and No. In an infinite number of dimensions there may be up to aleph null number of dimensions which are not infinite.
>>
According to string theory..

Possibly
>>
>>18110894
Not in the contracting counterpart 'universes'.
>>
>>18111543
Godel
>>
>>18110894
Yes, we are bound to live forever and to accumulate an ever increasing amount of debt while consuming more and more McFood and watching increasingly stupid television shows.

OP is the worst faggot ever.
>>
File: PS_Messages_20160815_180858.jpg (193KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
PS_Messages_20160815_180858.jpg
193KB, 1920x1080px
>>18110894
Yes.
>>
non-existence doesn't exist. so yeah technically this ride is forever
>>
>>18110894
yes we are.

Quantum mechanics dictates that there are things outside of time

our consciousness is one of them

people who don't agree are just dogmatic newtonians/ mechanists who refuse to accept what science has shown them
>>
>>18121932
But how do we know Quantum Mechanics isn't a steaming plate of horse bollocks?
>>
Quantum suicideis a thought experiment that was suggested as a way to determine experimentally, at leastin principle, whether the many-worlds interpretation of quantum mechanics is correct.(To be absolutely clear, this is not a real experiment that should actually be performed by anyone, it's just a thought experiment!)

According to the many-worlds interpretation, whenever a quantum measurement is performed, all results of the measurement are actually measured, but in different "branches" of the wavefunction (sometimes interpreted as "parallel universes" although that is not entirely true; there is still only one universe).

So if a measurement can result in either A or B with 50% probability each, the person who made the measurement is also "branched" into two different "states": one state in which the person measured A and one state in which the person measured B, with 50% probability each.

Now, the thought experiment goes like this: An experimenter stands in a box with a quantum measurement device. The quantum measurement can result in either A or B with 50% probability each. This measurement is performed every second. If A was measured, nothing happens. But if B was measured, a nuclear explosion immediately disintegrates the entire box including the experimenter inside.

(It's crucial for the purpose of the experiment that the experimenter will die immediately and have no chance of recovery. If you use a gun, for example, there's no way to make sure that the experimenter will actually die immediately or at all.)

Now, if B was measured and the experimenter was immediately disintegrated, then obviously they will not be aware of that, since they will be dead. After 100 seconds the probability of survival is about 0.00000000000000000000000000008% (that's 1/2 to the power of 100 since there were 100 measurements in which death had a probability of 1/2 to occur). So if the experimenter finds themselves alive after 100 seconds (or more) they can be pretty
>>
>>18121959
sure it's not just a coincidence.

In other words, assuming the device is not broken, if after 100 seconds the experimenter is still alive they would know that they did, in fact, "branch" into a "parallel universe" 100 times, and each time they found themselves in the particular universe in which they survived. There's no other reasonable explanation for this.

Quantum immortalitydescribes a situation in which the experimenter is still alive after performing a "quantum suicide" a large number of times. Note that this termonlyapplies to this particular experiment. The fact that the term exists doesnotmean that "quantum mechanics says we can be immortal" or anything like that.

The reason it only applies to this particular experiment is that death isneverthe consequence of a quantum measurement. There is no quantum measurement which results in either A or B with 50% probability each which determines, say, if you are hit by a car when you cross the street.

The original question asked: "do you believe in quantum immortality or is it pseudoscience". However, quantum immortality is not a matter of belief, nor is it pseudoscience. Here's why.

If someone uses the term "quantum immortality" in any way other than in relation to the quantum suicide experiment, they most definitely do not know what the heck they're talking about. However, if they use it only in relation to the quantum suicide experiment then they are describing a (more or less) legitimate thought experiment which has real scientific implications and is thus definitelynotpseudoscience.

Lastly, regarding belief: as is hopefully clear from my explanation, if you are using the term correctly, there's no belief involved here since there's nothing to believe in. The term describes a particular result of a thought experiment and whether or not that particular result is achieved is not a matter of belief, it's something you canin principletest (although you probably shouldn't!)
>>
Wish I had caught this post sooner. I've done a lot of research on death, death rituals, the afterlife, and all other thanatological matters. It's made me super aware of the metastasis of the timelines. One night I went out and stopped at a red light at an intersection. I came back and there was no light at the same intersection, whatsoever. My passenger insisted that there was never a light. Did I die at that intersection and the consciousness of another timeline became primary? Was it simply a casual divergence of the timelines? Hard to say when no one else felt the disturbance.

Is deja-vu the act of remembering something a version of your did before this version of you did it?

Are ghosts living intruders from other timelines or energy imprinted on reality on a subatomic level, when someone dies?
>>
>>18110894

>18
>depressed, suicidal
>raised Christian (Bible belt) but forsaked the religion years ago, decided to pray one last time
>only say the words "Lord, send me an Angel"
>smoke last cigarette
>grab shotgun, load it, cock it, place barrel in mouth and begin to pull trigger
>phone rings at the very last second, was a girl from high school whom I haven't seen in years

I always wondered if I died at that moment, and when the phone rang, that was where my consciousness shifted
>>
>>18121990
Let's just say you understand the implications of the theory correctly, and what you do with that information from this point forward is up to you.

For whatever it's worth *glasses bump* according to my calculations, it's possible to perform a leap of this nature without death; if you can figure out a different way to accurately destroy all relevant information, the effect would be the same. Death is only the most violent way to do this.
>>
>>18111543
>>18111102

so what the fuck happens when I get so old I can't live anymore? It's not like you can never experience old age
>>
>>18122836
You'll understand when you're older.

Quantum Immortality isn't really a physics you can understand with theory alone. Some amount of experience is required.
>>
>>18122855
but all the reasoning in this thread is

>die of cancer
>lol in another universe you didn't get cancer!

>die of shooting yourself in the head
>lol in another universe you don't do that!

so get me out of dying from being 120 years old
>>
>>18122864
>Be human
>Nuclear war happens
>wtf I hate living now
>Go to space on spaceship
>Suddenly don't age anymore
>Still want to die
:^/
>>
>>18122864
You just need to reincarnate at a time before you were born. Savvy?

Now google panspermia, and give the theory its due consideration.
>>
File: anime_dance.gif (483KB, 243x270px) Image search: [Google]
anime_dance.gif
483KB, 243x270px
>>18122911
By choosing to believe that they are a separate being from anyone else, a person locks themselves out of any timelines which involve incarnating into anyone else. A person can only intertwine their soul with anothers', if they believe that other person is also them. A person can only accept an intertwining of souls, if they believe that they are also the person who is intertwining their soul with theirs.

Make sense? You should have all the faculties required for incarnation onboard your vessel already.
>>
>>18110894
What the fuck is this fucking image supposed to be?

Do retards actually think that's what space looks like...
>>
File: anime_dance_st.gif (1009KB, 500x281px) Image search: [Google]
anime_dance_st.gif
1009KB, 500x281px
>>18122999
When you die, your unresolved karma snaps like a rubber band. I want to say that the moment isn't any more influential than any other span of time during your life, but that's not technically accurate. Rather, your moment *becomes* the span of your entire life, and in this state of mind you can choose what it is you wish to keep and let go of.

However, it's worth noting that information in this state of mind is cyclical. You might find that letting go of the burning sensation simultaneously causes the drug or sex highs to vanish, if they were both parts of the same karmic cycle. The notable exception to this cyclical stasis is the moment which leads into the next.
>>
>>18123024
They either choose to forget that they don't believe, or incarnate into one of the timelines of a person who shares that disbelief, whatever they may be.
>>
>>18110894
Think, but do not doubt.
>>
The probability that you exist in this Universe is 100%.

Given infinite time, the probability that you, or I, will exist again is 100%.

Given infinite time, everything that is 100% probable will happen.

This Universal state, right now, is 100% probable to happen again an infinite amount of times.

It's quantum reincarnation bitch.
>>
>>18123089
We might live other lives too, but there's a 100% chance we'll re-live this one.

See you next time, bro. Nice chatting with you.. again.

Kek.
>>
Someone fucking tell me how I make money out of this?
>>
>>18123135
Write a book with Roger Penrose.
>>
>>18110894
I don't know, I just know it would be a maximum trolling for a suicide guy. So I hope it's real.
>>
>>18123149
No I refuse to speak to that cunt after what he said to my wife last christmas.
>>
>>18123192
Yeah he lost his marbles a decade ago. Shame really.

His latest one is that we're all just part of a fractal hologram, and that particles are infact moved by god himself. No shit. He even has proof.

Kekface.
>>
>>18122643
That's incredible man. Good for you. I have to ask, is this true? I wanna believe it.
>>
>>18111018
congratulation you are the one that i have ever meet or heard of that is actuality the nearest to absolute truth but you only got the half way open your eyes just a bit wider can make you blind for the joy of life, don't care if i sound edgy

would be interesting to know how someone on / x /
is capable of such thoughts transitions
>>
>>18124546
a lot more people on /x/ understand this than you think. I do not say this to burst any ego-bubbles you have on the matter, but to let you know that you're far from alone or special in this awareness.
>>
>>18124555
i am on the edge of constant ego death nothing matter more for me
i really don't know why i am even posting here i am sorry if i am sound narcissistic

i wanted to make clear that x is known for magic religion and to interpret things wrong
for the most people here the shit he post may sound like, the circle of life continuous, energy cant die, we all one soul, magic, higher awareness, third eye, microwave
sorry if i have offended someone

and just to understand it how you like it doesn't mean you have actually absorb the information behind the thought process
>>
>have bunch of near death situations
>think i have survived them all
>in reality i have died each time
>consciousness jumps to other timeline to inhabit a version of me that still lives
>how many mourning families i have left behind
>how many more will i leave behind
well that's enough thinking for one day
>>
So let me get this right.. If quantum immortality is a real thing. Lets say I'm banging my GF and she has an orgasm which leads to a heart attack. Does that mean i fucked her into another dimension? Also if this is also true then technically with infinite dimensions we have also infinite births and deaths. Sad to think how many times I've possibly left my parents to grieve in past dimensions, but then again so have they and everyone else who continually dies and moves on. It seems the best way to almost prove that this is even a possibility is through repeated attempts at suicide. Even then its impossible to prove to anyone else but you and to the few of you saying you have survived suicide and find yourselves here does that mean the more of us who commit suicide will start popping up with these claims about eternal live and immortality. but we cannot because if there is truly infinite dimensions then none of us could possibly ever end up in the same dimension. but at the same time we would have to.. because infinite leaves questions that cant be answered???? Descent thread guys my mind is mush!
>>
>>18118704
Perhaps our fear of the unknown is what is truly spooky???
>>
>>18120419
i suppose you could bet somebody a bunch of money you could Jump of a very tall building without restraints and survive. But i suppose if we live forever you might want to refrain from turning yourself into a vegetable for as long as possible :)
>>
>>18120783
This thread has made me contemplate suicide. I Wonder how many corpses I'm leaving behind every time I decide to put it off to post one more time.. :s
>>
>>18124727
But if you take this as fact, it goes further than that.

Imagine every single moment where a plane engine just fell on your house. Imagine every moment when your heart just randomly exploded.

Come on, man. It's not just suicide. Accidents happen.
>>
beast behind all perceptions.
>>
>>18111516
when reading this i suddenly had to think of something happening to me. i was at a skating competition, and tried to make a trick. fell on the back of my head from about 3m onto wooden floor. maybe a bit more. my memories cuts up shortly before i start rolling towards the ramp, and starts again 20 min later when im sitting on the bench, my head spinning and hurting, and me not recognizing the place (i thought we wanted to go to that place, thought we even arrived there, but didnt recognize it. just couldnt tell where i was the first few seconds or minutes even). did i die there? i didnt wear a helmet by the way and didnt have any exterior wounds, i think it wasnt even swollen. didnt go to a doctor since i wasnt throwing up and stuff, and aside from the headache i was fine later on the day (even though i didnt skate that day anymore exept from point a to b to get a better view)
>>
>>18124743
But if every time I die I change dimensions into another me... What if another me dies and i happen to be the dimension he goes to? would i notice. would i have a binding of two consciousnesses that are both me? Bipolar maybe ???
>>
>>18124786
Well, then you're just forgetting one special component of the general idea here; there are infinite states.

There are "infinite dimensions". You could just as well bump into yourself, and you would both exist in the same place and time, relatively speaking, experience cognitive dissonance or not, fully accept and be okay with the result, explode... just about anything that could feasibly exist per that given moment.

It's just the same that you don't actually leave. It's just as well that there are already many versions of you, different states collapsing in different ways. When one dies, he doesn't leave his body. He just dies. Meanwhile, the one that doesn't die is made to have the sudden, vague sense that something awful just happened.

Metaphysical quandaries are fun.
>>
So, a person who dies of old age?

How the theory explains the "revival"?
>>
>>18124796
Thanks man. this whole threads been captivating I've had my own thoughts on these kinds of things but having other people in on it helps fill the gaps i otherwise might not have noticed were empty. Or spent to long pondering where there is not an answer to be had maybe..
>>
>>18124812
No death. Just, lack of consciousness, resulting in "death" as far as the criteria goes for identity of self regarding awareness.

Or, no "death" either, just continual existence as something that continually seems to keep kicking, and still has a mind. Or, something that, almost miraculously, seems to never age beyond a specific point.
>>
>>18124826
Much welcome.
>>
I find this theory very interesting...

I've had multiple moments wher dive come close to death and maybe did die... But then jump jump to the next moment ... And when I think back I can't really remember the time in between the moment of possible death and the next moment ..

1 example... When I was little I would go in my dads car and make it roll backward by pressing down on a peddle... One time my little brother tryed doing this and he was going to run into my dads car behind it... So I got In between the car to stop him... And j just remember being covert scared and realized I was stuck between the two cars... Getting squeezed and then .... I don't remember after that... Not at all... I can't remember and almost forgot about he whole thing all together.
>>
2 example I was driving down the highway fast like 100 by my self... And then almost missed my exit and started to turn... I slid out and my car spinner around... And then I don't remember... But I remember being then stopped in the car I got out ... Saw some poeple and they drove me away... Because I said I want to go I'll get in trouble.... I should have died... No one lives going 100 on the highway and then crashing
>>
I understand how the universe doesn't "let" you die and that if you do die in Timeline A, you'll just jump to Timeline B (unless this is wrong, feel free to correct) where you didn't die and so on. So what happens to your memories? Do you just..not remember dying in the previous timeline? or anything?
>>
*Previous poster with 2 examples*
Did I die? Am I in another reality... Do the people is my past reality know I'm dead and are sad .... I don't know it's a kind fuck...

But it ought explain the Mandela effect too
>>
>>18124870
if you had died, you wouldnt be able to talk to us, because we havent died.
unless someone is actively acting as a continuity anchor like i believe they are.

but on the otherhand, i believe in the beast behind all perceptions, and i believe that it behaves to grant us personalized time fields, so it could have rewritten your personal time without you having to be erased from any reality, just that the logical course of events that you would have occured[your death] never happened, not in this or any other timeline, it was deleted entirely.

why pray to a god that cant answer back?
>>
File: 13983671749.png (68KB, 500x382px) Image search: [Google]
13983671749.png
68KB, 500x382px
>>18124841

Well, so we gonna die, in a way or another, after all...

Fuck, sometimes i wish i didn't wasted my life away.
>>
>>18124905
Well, don't beat yourself up so quickly...

I mean, you still live, y'know. You never really wasted your life- if anything, god willing, you're a damn lucky son of a gun who never accidentally'd himself.
>>
>>18124870
Well, that all depends. You're not grasping it though...

There are infinite states, allegedly. Therefore, there is an upper range of times, places, where you have died. Millions upon trillions upon billions upon sextillions upon hundreds of many times you died on the highway, going 100. For the most part, everyone knows your dead, because in that state, your body did die. It probably died in a handful of ways, some expected, some completely absurd. There are some where your mind simply died, but your body lives in a coma, and you are considered dead by some, yet alive by others. There are some where something unfounded and spectacular happens, and everyone subscribes to QI, and they understand that while to them, you are dead, you're only dead then, there, and they may make peace with this or not.

Meanwhile, you're here. As far as here is concerned? No, you never died. The people in your past never knew you dying; you were always alive.

As with the memory... don't quote me on anything. It's as up in the air as much as the amount of times I can say I've shaken my (our?) own hand. Hasn't happened yet, but who knows.
>>
>>18124893
I think because I didn't die because I have a child... The thought of him living without me in another universe frightens me.... But u think this same force of my love for him made my reality still with him... I don't know... I try not to think about it I guess... Because I need to make the best of the reality I'm in I guess no matter if there's other realities or not
>>
File: goodbye.png (858KB, 741x637px) Image search: [Google]
goodbye.png
858KB, 741x637px
>>18124625
>all those times I am died of a heart attack while masturbating to incest porn in my parents house
>>
>>18124950
I think I didn't die
>>
>humans "invented" paralel realities to avoid lingering on the fact that there is only one, entirely fated universe.
>>
>>18124919

Well, life isn´t over, after all.

thanks anon.
>>
>>18124590
no, you're not. Stop craving attention through the use of "I am superior because I understand slightly more about the nature of our universe than some people here! OH LOOK someone who also knows about as much as me give or take. I will compliment him but tell him of the times ahead for behold! I am far along the path!" That's what you're doing right now. You're not even close to the death of the ego, not even close buddy.
>>
>>18124996
Sometimes it's not that there are multiple realms, so much as that there is one realm with multiple clusters of information. It's not exactly invalid to suggest so, or otherwise.

Would you consider it, if I told you that it's possible to look at the universe without a concept of time? Distance... speed? Of course, it's just a way of looking at things.
>>
>>18122836
It isn't (you). It's an organism with the same molecular and physical arrangment in a universe that can differ in only the slightest thing.

Imagine you had enough chessboards to play every possible game of chess. Just because white loses in one board doesn't discredit white winning on another board and vice versa.
>>
>>18123066

Maybe this could explain deja vus.

Deja vus are just quantum reincarnations.
>>
>>18111018
wow how original
>>
>>18113042

We convey information through electronic mediums, not consciousness.
>>
>>18123158

I actually told a suicidal buddy of mine about quantum immortality. He hasn't killed himself yet...
>>
File: 1469387213949.jpg (65KB, 512x512px) Image search: [Google]
1469387213949.jpg
65KB, 512x512px
>>18110894
Quantum immortality is scary.

While I am terrified of not existing anymore, what if my destiny was to end up as a brain in a box, kept alive by an intelligent but cruel entity, as a prisonner, aware and powerless, on a battery so efficient that it would outlast the heat death of the universe? What if I was to be stuck in that existence forever, not ever gaining any salvation because quantum immortality would not let me die, ever?

What if I was to be one of those infinite myselves?

*shivers*
>>
>>18125877
What if such an existence was the "hell" christians or religious people speak of?

Perhaps there is a karmic force in this ocean of everything? But then, perhaps there only is such a thing in an infinity of worlds?

What do you call infinite infinities? Multiverse seems like a lackluster term.
>>
>>18111188
what a coincidence, i was just playing this castlevania a couple minutes ago
>>
>>18125877
>a battery.
>outlast the heat death of the universe.
>>
>>18125877
I think the "brain in a jar" thing is going too far, but yeah, maintaining conciousness and keeping memories for the eternity would be worst than just "disappearing". If our "soul", "blueprint" or whatever is recycled after dying then the loss of memory would be there to prevent this "hell" of immortality.

I'm more inclined to believe we will decompose completely (our conciousness too) and through the cycle of nature we will form part of other living beings through aliments, air, heat exchange...etc But the brain of these new living beings will also be new, so they will develope their own conciousness and they will become part of the cycle once they die.
>>
>>18126165
this, lmao
>>
>>18112055
because you are the other you-s. your belief that you are separate is valid, but it is also limiting. what you call "this universe" is not on it's own timeline as you imagine. your perspective is constantly changing and millions of times a second you are shifting to another parallel universe. This gives the illusion of movement and space-time, but what is really happening is a constant shift from one perspective to another.
>>
>>18112317
That kind of makes me feel lonely, though. Like I'm in my own little world where everyone will die except for me.
>>
I slipped off a rain soaked rope ladder when I was and I fell face first out of the 20 foot tree and didn't break any bones. Wh-whyyyyy!?!
>>
File: nervous.jpg (24KB, 360x240px) Image search: [Google]
nervous.jpg
24KB, 360x240px
>>18126971
You're destined to live forever senpai. Get used to it. This party ain't never ending.
>>
>>18116102

When it comes to parallel universes the first thing you need to realize is they are not parallel. The second is they are not technically universes either. Nor is what you exist in is a universe, at least in the way that you have come to understand what a universe is, but this is easiest to try to understand later. Everything you have been taught to this point is not true. The reason they are not universes is because each individual universe is just the sum of a specific way of looking at the Whole Sort of General Mish Mash of things. The Whole Sort of General Mish Mash doesn't actually exist either, but it is just the sum total of all the different ways there would be of looking at it if it did.
The reason they are not parallel is the same reason that the sea is not parallel. It doesn't mean anything. You can slice the Whole Sort of General Mish Mash any way you like and you will generally come up with something that someone will call home.
We exist as sums of probabilities that happen to be convergent. If we were not convergent, we would not know about each other. However, some things do diverge, but not enough to separate our existences; ways in which the universe is observed. When you interact with other ways of looking at the whole, you are drawn to normalized probabilities as the equilibrium state has the highest probability. However, there are still divergent probabilities, even if most of the sums overlap. Now that we can share information more easily, we are starting to collectively notice these divergent probabilities more.
>>
File: 1462904239273.jpg (39KB, 395x499px) Image search: [Google]
1462904239273.jpg
39KB, 395x499px
Wanna know something fun?

When particles are left unobserved, physics stop working for them and they fall into a superposition - they basically "bug" and are not really rendered. The same applies for modern videogames where everything outside your PoV is not rendered. The reason for that is that it's an insanely efficient way to preserve processing power.

The limit of the speed of light should not exist. However, it does. Why is there a limit for the maximum achievable speed in this universe?
Because the universe has a "refresh rate", which is the time that the object (that is supposed to be) without a speed limit travels from the smallest point of space to the following one next to it.
In an actual reality, there would be no slow-down for it and it should be instantaneous, since the dimensions when travelling at that speed collapse into a single point and you're literally traversing the whole universe instantly. Instead, it "lags".

It lags because in order to accurately simulate 10 kilometers of reality, you'd need a simulating machine that is at least as big for the processing power required.
UNLESS, of course, you reduce the other part of the equation, which is speed of the simulation - unless you slow it down. One second of "realtime" time can be equal to half a second simulation time, which means that the processing power needed to run that slowed-down simulation just dropped by a half. Slow it down enough compared to reality, and you might as well simulate a planet-wide reality on your smartphone.

Introducing an incredibly short "lag" between the refreshes of a software can reduce its CPU usage by a million times. In a program that cycles through a loop and checks conditions (if a button is pressed, for an example), a forced 0.01 seconds of "lag" can be the difference of 80% and 0.08% CPU usage.

Basically, our universe has that hardcoded in it, and the limit of the maximum speed is the full proof that it exists.
>>
>>18127148
This is by far, the most convincing argument that we are living in a simulation (instead of existing at the base-level of reality) that I have ever heard.

If the hard-coded limitations linked to the speed of light imply that our world is simulated, then what could possibly exist at the root level of existence?
>>
>>18127148

Also planck length and planck time. Speed of lgiht = Planck length divided by planck time

Base reality should be smooth. Instead it's pixelated.

>>18127649

No, the most convincing argument is that our universe is empty. Why is it empty? Because it's a simulation. Period. They can simulate a planet with millions of different species. You can't simulate trillions of planets, each with billions of different species and trillions of brains. Also it's not their goal. They are not simulating base reality.

They are simulating just 1 species. Maybe we are their ancestors, maybe not.
>>
>>18113073
>it really is possible to have harmful substances quantum-tunnel outside of your body. This is factually true

And what exactly is he supposed to be "debating"? You aren't making any argument, just making wild claims and stating that they're "factually true" with ZERO justification.
>>
>>18110894

https://fresnostate.co1.qualtrics.com/SE?Q_DL=eFKQ5HcyZtnnlMF_0BrElSmMmgZj8vr_MLRP_9HywTWJr0THC1q5&Q_CHL=email
Thread posts: 240
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.