[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anybody have any good book recommendations on extraterrestrials?

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 14

File: 1473295367008.jpg (35KB, 313x510px) Image search: [Google]
1473295367008.jpg
35KB, 313x510px
Does anybody have any good book recommendations on extraterrestrials? Whether it be abductions, UFOs, or other encounters.

I put pic related only because of its popularity and because of creep factor, but Streiber is so embarrassingly full of shit. I actually do not believe in abductions, but would not be against reading something well thought out and written.

I am especially interested in anything about UFO summoning or communication, but don't know if anything has ever been published on that.

Epub or mobi format links preferred if available.
>>
>>18106986
I'd say go for either Encounter in Rendlesham Forest or The Day After Roswell.
>>
File: 8th tower.jpg (987KB, 1227x898px) Image search: [Google]
8th tower.jpg
987KB, 1227x898px
Will change everything you think about ayy lmaos
>>
>>18107016
Continue with the dump, please.
>>
>>18107018
>dump

I dont know what the fuck you are talking about but the other book the guy wrote is good too.

OUR SKIES ARE FILLED WITH TROJAN HORSES....
"The real UFO story must encompass all of the many manifestations being observed. It is a story of ghosts and phantoms and strange mental aberrations; of an invisible world that surrounds us and occasionally engulfs us; of prophets and prophecies, and gods and demons. It is a world of illusion and hallucination where the unreal seems very real, and where reality itself is distorted by strange forces which can seemingly manipulate space, time, and physical matter-forces that are almost entirely beyond our powers of comprehension."

John A. Keel (March 25, 1930 - July 3, 2009) was an American journalist and influential UFOlogist best known as the author of "The Mothman Prophecies." In the 1950s, he spent time in Egypt, India, and the Himalayas investigating snake charming cults, the Indian rope trick, and the legendary Yeti, an adventure that culminated in the publication of his first book, "Jadoo." In the mid-1960s, he took up investigating UFOs and assorted forteana and published his first knockout UFO book, "UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse," in 1970. The book shredded the then trendy nuts-and-bolts extraterrestrial hypothesis for UFOs in favor of one that linked UFOs to a variety of paranormal and supernatural phenomena that have taken place throughout history. Keel was one of the first to note that the UFO phenomenon appears in different disguises-and that one could not begin to decipher this great mystery without first taking into account its many and varied deliberate deceptions. Other than a few corrections, this Anomalist Books edition essentially follows the original 1970 edition of "UFOs: Operation Trojan Horse."
>>
>>18107030
He's assuming you're going to dump pages of the book in the thread for us. Lurk more.

Thanks for the recs so far.

Also I like John Keel, based on Mothman Prophecies, which I read long ago. Maybe high time to check more of him out.
>>
>>18107016
>>18107030
So which one of these would you recommend? It seems Operation Trojan Horse is more open-ended, and The Eighth Tower gets some flack for its more solidified conclusions.
>>
>>18107016
Can I get a summary?

What do UFOs have to do with it?
>>
Alien identities by Richard Thompson.
>>
jacques vallee offers an interesting perspective.

http://en.bookfi.net/s/?q=Passport+to+Magonia%3A+On+UFOs%2C+Folklore%2C+and+Parallel+Worlds&e=1&t=0
>>
File: OperationTrojanCondoms.jpg (208KB, 500x888px) Image search: [Google]
OperationTrojanCondoms.jpg
208KB, 500x888px
Well I just so happened across a kick-ass used bookstore today, and I just so happened to find a copy of Operation Trojan Horse. A reprint, with a less-cool cover, but it probably has a forward and additional notes in it. Getting ready to curl up with it.

>>18108134
Downloaded it, thanks. (although I hate reading PDFs on my Kindle). Will give a look.
>>
>>18106986
Communion is a great entry book with a story to it. Some parts like the sex scene during the abduction are really disturbing, and the "soul vessel" and "they can literally steal your soul" angle. You mix that with the Area 51 redpills based on what are now accepted as historic facts (typical Blue Book stuff along with the origins of certain organizations), it's clear why it became a classic. Too bad it's considered a meme now.
>>
File: 1393717912899.png (111KB, 669x1039px) Image search: [Google]
1393717912899.png
111KB, 669x1039px
>>18108487
>read the 1996 intro and find a typo
>read the 1969 forward and yet another typo
Really, Keel? Come on.

Also what's his beef with Sagan? There was a very unflattering mention of Carl Sagan in the newer intro that made me raise an eyebrow. Basically kind of made fun of his campaign to search for extraterrestrial life. I guess because Keel feels above him. But I don't necessarily think the idea of Keel's extra-dimensional beings needs to exclude the possibility of technological intelligent societies on other planets, which most surely exist. Also he puts up a middle finger to many unnamed authors who supposedly stole from his ideas, but isn't it already known that Keel pretty much lifted from earlier writings to come up with his theory in Trojan Horse?

>>18108645
I read it back in high school and remember the one quite unsettling and frightening moment when Stieber describes waking up and seeing an alien just casually walking by his open bedroom door. Fucking freaked me out.

I re-read it (or started two) about two years ago, however, and like I said it became apparent that he is full of shit. He keeps asserting the benignity of the aliens but keeps contradicting that with passages where he describes his cold-sweat fear and a sense that there was something malign going on, as if he remembered he's essentially writing a horror book and he has to put some of that in there. Felt so obviously fake from the first two chapters alone.
>>
>>18108748
>He keeps asserting the benignity of the aliens but keeps contradicting that with passages where he describes his cold-sweat fear and a sense that there was something malign going on as if he remembered he's essentially writing a horror book and he has to put some of that in there.
Good point that seems prevalent with him. He basically said they can steal our souls, which is the most horrific thing imaginable but he never elaborates after that.

I found the going back and forth between telling a story from the perspective of a military man caught in the middle of the Roswell event and his own (supposed) experiences to be disorienting as well.

Anyway I want to believe Whitley isn't totally full of it because he's shared things outside that book that are extremely interesting like having woken up in alternate realities (where his house was totally different) and accidentally driving into an alternate reality (with a passenger, and he gets completely lost until making a turn back into the original reality). Even if he did make that up it's top tier paranormal story material all the same.
>>
>>18108790
Yeah. Maybe I should give some of his later books a shake. I dunno.

Keel has his own issues too, but I feel he's less dishonest, if otherwise being very enthusiastic to a fault.

Maybe what I really appreciate is just cold, hard, incidents without all the conclusion-jumping and theorizing.
>>
>>18107522
I'd suggest reading them all, but if you mean only those two, I'd go with OTH then the Eighth Tower. Make sure to read Mothman Prophecies, too, if you haven't.
>>
>>18108748
>from earlier writings to come up with his theory in Trojan Horse?
what earlier writings? Keel started doing that stuff pretty much from the beginning of the present movement.
>>
>>18106986

Missing Time by Budd Hopkins is a better choice.
>>
File: dark mission book scan.jpg (2MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
dark mission book scan.jpg
2MB, 2448x3264px
>>18108912
>Keel has his own issues too
What do you consider them to be?
pic not related
>>
File: cipher.jpg (99KB, 638x957px) Image search: [Google]
cipher.jpg
99KB, 638x957px
>>18106986
and back to OP,
there actually have been some books published on the connection between magic and ayy lmaos. Synchronicity deemed it appropriate that when I bought my first copy of Mothman Prophecies some 20plus years ago, sitting right next to it was the key.
>>
>>18108487
>PDFs on my Kindle
One of the main reasons I got an Ipad. I loved my Kindle, but I love my Ipad even more. So much more flexible as an electrobook.
>>
>>18108964
Well good, because I am reading Trojan Horse now. I will most definitely hunt town the Eighth Tower later on down the road. I've read Mothman Prophecies multiple times.

>>18108970
I've read in people's reviews that Keel has lifted the theories of past writers, both fiction and non-fiction, although this accusation is apparent in OTH's second chapter, wherein Keel cites numerous UFO investigators who reached these conclusions. So in a sense you're right.

>>18108997
Hasn't he been known later on down the road to be kind of kooky, not entirely authentic? (as most UFO writers, lol). Even in the first chapter of OTH, I detected some of this. Grand claims and statistics, constant verification of his own efforts and the efforts of others, all of these seemingly anecdotal.

I mentioned his enthusiasm, and much like the UFO cultists he criticizes for religiously clinging to their own narrative when looking at UFO reports (something that Carl Sagan also pointed out in the past, which is interesting considering Keel's comments on him I mentioned), Keel seems to fall victim to the same thing.
>Mentions Air Force radar that picked up a fleet of unidentifiable objects that almost caused us to go scorched Earth on the Russians
>Objects dissapeared, later explained as interference/misinterpretation of reflections from the moon
>Keel says: but this impossible, and I have a very good reason why
>He just explains how he visited an AF radar station and was amazed at the accuracy with which they track aircraft
>They even have the flight numbers displayed on them! lol
>Thusly concludes that no advanced tracking system could get confused by interference from the moon
Seemed like an awfully foolish and hopeful assertion, considering Mr. Keel himself was never a radar operator and knows jack shit about the equipment. But I digress, because the rest of what I'm reading is intriguin

g, and there is real investigative gold in there.
>>
File: a0f.jpg (30KB, 600x512px) Image search: [Google]
a0f.jpg
30KB, 600x512px
>>18109027
>ipad
Fuck that. Glowing screen, bruh. E-ink all the way. If I'm reading for the long haul, I'm not going to do it on a phone or tablet.

>>18108976
Gonna look into this, thanks.

And with that, I'm off to bed. Good thread so far. Goodnight /x.
>>
Messengers of Deception is another great book by Jacques Vallee, this one is about UFO cults.

Jim Keith is rather sadly under-discussed these days. He's kind of like Vallee and Keel but taken to a conspiratorial extreme. If that sounds interesting check out:
Saucers of the Illuminati
Casebook on Alternative 3
Casebook on the Men in Black
The Octopus
His Mind Control books
>>
>>18109700
>taken to an conspiratorial extreme
Nah that sort of turns me off. Keel already flirts with that (to a much greater degree in The Eighth Tower, I hear).

UFO cults sounds interesting. I'll have to look into Vallee.
>>
File: 000-000-ok.png (2MB, 800x1200px) Image search: [Google]
000-000-ok.png
2MB, 800x1200px
May I suggest a book, to get everyone angry?

https://a.pomf.cat/keezse.pdf
>>
>>18110355
I think I've seen this around. It doesn't look very reputable. I'm assuming that's what you mean.
>>
>>18107002
Day After Roswell is fiction. Corso was pretty well discredited
>>
>>18110641
Indeed, and the Rendlesham Forrest case seems like bull. I read up on it and based on it I'm not really interested in the book.
>>
>>18108976
Budd Hopkins has also been pretty thoroughly discredited. he has no real training in any of the hypnosis fields he alleged to be trained in. read about some of his "patients" who have written about him pressuring them to "recall" alien encounters that had never happened
>>
File: greerscam.jpg (118KB, 784x446px) Image search: [Google]
greerscam.jpg
118KB, 784x446px
>>18110355
>wtf I love greer now
>>
>>18110652
Lol, I was listening to his Coast to Coast appearance right now.
>>
David Jacobs alien abduction books are really interesting but he destroyed his credibility when they caught him on audio trying to manipulate a woman during hypnosis.
>>
>>18110631
Actually it is reputable, I respect this guy a lot, but most people in the UFO scene probably won't like what's in the book.
>>
>>18108748
Sagan, at the time, stood for pure science. i.e. we don't know unless we observe-or-extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Say you have an aunt dying of cancer and the docs say it's hopeless. No one will blame you for turning to prayer or lighting a candle to whatever god; no one, that is, except the hard scientists who say anything outside of what we directly and objectively observe is hogwash.

And while I think great things of the man, Sagan was one of those guys.

Science is good at defining its own limits. It's not good, as a field in academia, at realizing when seeking beyond its limits is beneficial and important. This will change in the future, I'm sure, but currently, science is in a circle jerk.
>>
>>18112315
Sagan has his share of problems too. For an example, look at the comments on this book, pages 110-6, on the infamous theory of Near Death Experiences being memories of the birth:
https://a.pomf.cat/hxwjmx.pdf

Science has a problem, though. "Publish or perish" and selective grants to prove things the granters are interested on have broken research. Higher education has become a money grabbing circus. SAT ruined basic education.

I see no way out of this mess, I'm very bitter about this situation.
>>
File: Jose_Chung's_'From_Outer_Space'.jpg (68KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
Jose_Chung's_'From_Outer_Space'.jpg
68KB, 800x600px
I'm just here to post the obligatory picture
>>
>>18112348
So am I, bro anon. And I'm the person you are responding to. It starts with IRB and continues through the vetting process, even if you are a prof and have first author PI status. Sigh.
>>
File: Religion 0721.jpg (214KB, 1200x803px) Image search: [Google]
Religion 0721.jpg
214KB, 1200x803px
>>18112281
Why's that? Guess I'm gonna have to read this next.

>>18112315
>Sagan was one of those guys
And some people look at that in a negative light, but I much appreciate what his wife said when people asked her if he turned spiritual in his last moments, pic related.
>>
>>18112348
Sounds like he was spitballing to try to appeal t people's emotions.
>>
>>18108997
That's not a scan bro, that's a photo.
>>
>>
I think people are misreading Keel when they take his speculation as anything more than speculation. He conjectures on some possibilities just to give an idea of what "the other" might be like (super computer training humans to build a replacement, breakaway civilization with mastery over space-time, etc.), but he never seriously endorses any of those things as an answer. He allegedly came face to face with the phenomenon, playing tag with black clad wraiths and phoning his own doppelganger, and couldn't get any a better hold on the true identity of "the other" than understanding that it was something more than shapes and stories it presented to humans.

If anything, Vallee seems to go farther with his attachment to the idea that humans are the possessions of some higher order. Keel just butted heads with it all and wrote down the mad theories he toyed with while staring down an enemy whose entire presence was built on lies and half-truths.

And it really doesn't seem like we've come any farther since the heyday of Vallee and Keel. Most of the people researching and writing on Fortean topics still seem to be dividing things up and chasing hairy big hairy things through the woods hoping they are real animals or listening to contactees spout tales of space adventures hoping that aliens are real lifeforms from other planets.
>>
File: index.jpg (10KB, 196x293px) Image search: [Google]
index.jpg
10KB, 196x293px
>>18106986
>this one
>>
>>18114752
Halfway through Trojan Horse and he seems pretty assertive in his speculation. All for the better, as it's speculation I've long since accepted as a very possible reality. I will say I have a newfound appreciation for glowing orb UFOs, which I used to dismiss because they were not shocking or definitive enough to be interested in.
>>
>>18115253
He doesn't really push a specific theory other than advocating for intelligent direction behind the phenomenon, often mentioning that it seems to have been fucking with humans on a grand scale. Beyond that he presents a few scenarios that flesh out what that intelligence might be, but he also alludes to the possibility that it could even be a "natural" intelligence which is nothing more than an illusion created by our own role as the observer, rather than an entity with an agenda.

The problem of identifying "it" is something that seems insurmountable though. The individual entities people report meeting are nothing but puppets and shadows, and those entities themselves might not even be cognizant of it. The information they have handed out over the millennia has some patterns as well as many contradictions. But if the narratives which reveal those patterns are all fabrications, then how can the pattern be trusted as being the final layer of deception? Is abstracting it to "demons and faeries and aliens are all the same entities who control humans for some selfish purpose" the truth or just a single aspect of a larger lie?

Being unable to even be sure that a final layer exists or if it could be comprehended by humans is pretty much where Keel ends up, so all he can do after that is speculate about some of the forms that final layer could take. He definitely seems to attribute a bit more will and malice to it, but he supposedly spent some time being gangstalked by the paranormal so he's probably quite biased. He's also a fiction writer and seems to treat his Fortean adventures as gonzo journalism.

I think we won't really get better info than what he gives in OTH and Eight Tower until someone identifies the epicenter of a flap and sticks a microphone up to it. Even then, the only thing we might be able to learn is that we'll never understand what's on the other side. Hell, Skinwalker Ranch turned up no new answers and that might have been the best shot.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.