[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Chaos Magic(k)

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 2

File: morrisonmob.jpg (53KB, 400x533px) Image search: [Google]
morrisonmob.jpg
53KB, 400x533px
So, for those of you who often deride chaos magic and do something else (as opposed to those who deride it along with magic in general), do you believe it's without merit as an idea, or just that the majority of chaos magicians tend to remain stuck at the "jerk off on your sigil" level forever and never bother learning and doing more?
>>
It's like Undertale: Decent game, cancerous fanbase. There are plenty of people who enjoy it for what it is, but the ones who talk about it the most make other people put off by it.

Even though I don't agree with a lot of the theory I dig the practical techniques, but I always hesitate to recommend it to someone unless I know they've already got a good sense of self-determination.
>>
Chaos Magick is a key to something fantastic, but most people sit at the doorstep all day, trying to pick the lock.
>>
>>18089249
That's fair. I tend to agree with you (I think magic is semiotic in origin, which is why chaos magic works and so do other types, but it's more about the manipulation of symbols and meaning than about "belief" which is where I differ from chaos magicians).
>>18089255
Why do you think that is?
>>
Reminder that Crowley advocated Chaos Magic:

>In this book it is spoken of the sephiroth and the paths, of spirits and conjurations, of gods, spheres, and planes and many other things which may or may not exist. It is immaterial whether they exist or not. By doing certain things, certain results follow; students are most earnestly warned against attributing objective reality or philosophical validity to any of them.
>>
>>18089565
This
>>
>>18089215
jerk of on a thread and kill it is tangible magic
>>
>>18089565
crowley also traded his soul for a few more inches @ the d
>>
>>18090072
Tell that to /s/.
>>18090079
I never said he was perfect.
>>
>>18089215
I think people have trouble getting past the name. Chaos magic just sounds too edgy and shit for them to take seriously. They hear the word "chaos" and assume that you think you are some bad-ass, hardcore motherfucker. They assume that your entire approach to ritual magic is half-assed, and done with purely superficial motives. They hear the word and associate it with destruction, amoral/immoral behavior, rebellion, selfishness, evil, etc. There are people who go around trying to build that sort of image for themselves, and unfortunately they are the ones who are the most noticeable. "The squeaky wheel gets the grease," as they say.
>>
>>18090355
Just call it chaos mathematics, and act like a normal person. It's time to rebrand this stuff so that people can take chaos seriously again.

Also this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wJelEXaPhJ8
>>
>>18089565
He also advocated mountaineering. So what? Does that mean that the entire sport of mountain climbing revolves around him?
>>
>>18090355
Chaos Science/Chaos Magick/Chaos Mathematics/Mind Powers/Advanced Autism Which Can Control Reality, it doesn't matter what it's called. Once people can figure this out, then they are ready to look into it. If people see something called "Chaos Magick" and think "Wow that must be for edgelords", they really should just stop there. Judging a book by it's cover is something everyone has learned that you shouldn't do.
>>
>>18090363
I kind of look at it in a similar vein to how the Tao Te Ching describes the Tao:

>The Tao that can be trodden is not the enduring and
>unchanging Tao. The name that can be named is not the enduring and
>unchanging name.

>(Conceived of as) having no name, it is the Originator of heaven
>and earth; (conceived of as) having a name, it is the Mother of all
>things.

>Always without desire we must be found,
>If its deep mystery we would sound;
>But if desire always within us be,
>Its outer fringe is all that we shall see.

>Under these two aspects, it is really the same; but as development
>takes place, it receives the different names. Together we call them
>the Mystery. Where the Mystery is the deepest is the gate of all that
>is subtle and wonderful.

>>18090372
>Judging a book by it's cover is something everyone has learned that you shouldn't do.

It's something everyone should have learned. Unfortunately a lot of people don't ever. We've all been guilty of it though, and will likely be so again in the future as well. It's a survival instinct, which is hard, if not impossible to overcome entirely.
>>
where should i start if i want to learn chaos magic?
>>
>>18090662
Your own mind. Your imagination. Your emotions. Your intellect. Your desires, dreams and goals. Your will. Yourself.

I'm not talking down to you here. It truly does begin and end within you. You've more than likely already done it, numerous times in your life without being conscious of it, or realizing that there was a name for it. Now you are aware of it, and can begin to become more adept at using it.

Start by researching sigils, and try creating some of your own. Traditionally sigils have been associated with drawing/painting/etc. The concept as Chaos magic tends to treat them was pioneered by an artist, so he turned to what he knew and loved in order to create them. Don't think you have to be an artist yourself though. Turn to what you know and love instead. Do you play an instrument? Then construct them through your music. Are you a good cook? Talented writer? Gardener? Metal worker? Take your own talents, skills and passions, and use them. The more you can pour your heart and mind into it the more likely you will be to succeed. Using something you've already invested yourself into heavily, and feel confident about will be of more benefit than trying to do it someone else's way. Start simple, and build on it from there.
>>
>>18089215
godly subpar blasphemy

/s
>>
File: o-KATY-PERRY-570.jpg (159KB, 570x379px)
o-KATY-PERRY-570.jpg
159KB, 570x379px
>>18090662
>>
>>18090712
How do I make sigils with music?
>>
>>18090834
write down all the lyrics, proceed as usual or automatic "writing" while zoning out on the song, basically channel it.
>>
>>18090841
How do you "channel" food?
>>
>>18090857
who the fuck said anything about food?

You want to make a sigil based on food?
>>
ayy
>>
>>18090841
And what shall be the effect then?
>>
>>18090867
why wouldnt you? food contains many symbols depending what it contains and what level of chemical/anatomy it has its ingesting is also strong af

irl example the christian bread and wine shit is a sigil
>>
>>18090867
>"Do you play an instrument? Then construct them through your music. Are you a good cook? Talented writer? Gardener? Metal worker? Take your own talents, skills and passions, and use them."

There you go, faggot.
>>
>>18090873
how am I supposed to know? its your song and your sigil.

>>18090874
>bread and wine shit is a sigil
no the bread and wine is a symbol or a metaphor, learn the difference.

>>18090882
Im not the one who asked about food, why are you replying to me? Anon asked how to "channel" food, how the fuck am I supposed to know?
>>
>>18090895
You asked who said anything about food. I answered you're question by quoting >>18090712

If you don't know anything about the subject, gtfo.
>>
>>18090834
Look up Indian classical music. The different ragas have prescribed thematic patterns that are tied to certain emotions, times of day, thoughts etc. A certain musical phrase is in essence a sigil. I guess you could pull in some Bach and invert it in different ways to obscure the meaning and further sigilize it.
>>
>>18090903
alright dick, fine.
There are some standard practices among kitchen-witches of using sigils on cooking tools (usually spoons) or baked into the base of baked goods like pies, etching sigils with specific intent into the food.

Theres a way to use sigils with cooking.

If the question is "how do I make a sigil out of food" then I dont have any ideas beyond sigilizing the name of the food, maybe you could contribute an actual idea to the thread now or you could gtfo?
>>
>>18089215
>the majority of chaos magicians tend to remain stuck at the "jerk off on your sigil" level forever and never bother learning and doing more?

That seems the biggest risk. CM also tends to reinvent the wheel and want credit for it, but that's a minor issue.
>>
>>18090904
>A certain musical phrase is in essence a sigil

While this is actually really fucking cool, I don't think this classifies as a "sigil". This sounds more like a language with many different notes representing ideas.

I think that could be really magically useful, but not for sigils.
>>
>>18090365
My point was that there are a LOT of people who shit on chaos magic and then turn around and talk Crowley up like his ideas were all discovered and in no sense constructed, when he himself advocated for a method much closer to chaos magic than his fans might be comfortable admitting.
>>
>>18090895
rather than being a edgey fag and making a illusionarry difference accept the current language of the age and realise its similarities?
>>
what is chaos magic

how does it work?
all I ever read about the procedures was vague ambigious bullshit
>>
>>18091027
>My point was that there are a LOT of people who shit on chaos magic and then turn around and talk Crowley up like his ideas were all discovered and in no sense constructed

Careful with that straw man. They're highly flammable.

Crowley was himself a chaote at heart. He firmly believed in whatever works.

>>18091044

Have you read Carroll? Hine?
>>
>>18091049
nah, I did not.
Can u sum it up?
>>
>>18091039
rather than being an uneducated and inexperienced asshole, how about you actually look into the significance of a sigil, how it works and why before you come into a chaos magick thread pretending like you know shit. Honestly the difference between a sigil, a symbol and a metaphor is chaos magick 101. If you dont even understand the differences between these different thoughtforms and how they work, you have a lot of reading to do to catch up.

The eucharist is not a sigil no matter what you want the "current language of the age" to mean.

Your own argument defeats itself as the actual definition of a sigil (textbook definition, not the chaos magick definition) immediately proves out that the eucharist is neither a sigil in the literal sense, nor in the chaos magick sense.

It's ok that you dont know a lot about this subject, thats the point of these threads.

>>18091044
Chaos Magick, ultimately, is a system which works on the premise that the important part of magick lies in understanding that belief and faith is a tool, like any other magickal tool. It doesnt matter what you have faith in, or how you have faith in it, you can even change your faith or beliefs as it suits your work. Many people hear the name, or hear the basics of the concept and presume its some half-assed, non-commital approach to faith and magic which is trying to be edgy, but that couldnt be farther from the truth.

Chaos magick, honestly is about a decade over now, it was at its height in the late 80's and early 90's. Understanding it is very important to understanding current magickal paradigms however, as they are heavily based on principles of chaos magick.
>>
>>18090857
Well an obvious example would be to bake a cake and decorate it with an icing sigil. Then consume it as part of your ritual.

Read up on Asatru and their concept of blotting. They dedicate food and drink to a god, and then consume it in their honor, or as a sacrifice. I used to raise my shot glass in honor of Loki very often. He's always been good to me, and he seems to appreciate offerings of whiskey. Plus in Havamal, Odin forbade anyone to raise their cup in his honor, without first doing so for Loki. This can be adapted for your own system.

>>18090895
http://www.encyclopedia.com/article-1G2-3407711224/transubstantiation.html

Christians are not at all in agreement about this issue though. According to Catholic doctrine, your faith while taking communion literally transforms the wafer into the flesh of Christ, and the wine into his blood.

I was raised Protestant. Church of God to be precise. We didn't do communion at my church, as it was a sect that forbade drinking for any reason, and it was also one of those that thinks Catholics worship Satan.

Methodists on the other hand practice communion, but they consider it to be entirely symbolic, and done only as an act of remembrance. They do however assert that the spirit of Jesus is somehow present during the act, but that they, nor no one else truly understands what that means precisely, albeit they are pretty sure it doesn't involve actual cannibalism, as that would be barbaric and therefore contrary to the Christian faith. Also unlike the Catholics, the Methodists do not require a person be baptized, or a member of the church in order to participate. In their view the Communion Table belongs to Jesus, not the Church, and he welcomes all to his table, without needing nor asking for the Church's input.
>>
>>18091075
>transubstantiation

That's all well and good, and Im very well read up on the phenomenon and the belief. Even if they believe it literally transforms into the blood and body, it STILL isn't a sigil, in either the literal sense, or in the chaos magick sense.

Its definitely a faith based ritual, magickal, transformative, but its not sigil magick, period.
>>
>>18091053
>Can u sum it up?

I can, but won't. Go read!

I prefer Hine, myself:

http://www.philhine.org.uk/writings/index_e-books.html

>>18091060
>Chaos Magick, ultimately, is a system which works on the premise that the important part of magick lies in understanding that belief and faith is a tool, like any other magickal tool.

Wch, it should be noted, is Crowley in a nutshell. This is why chaos magic is often accused of reinventing the wheel.
>>
>>18091060
>>18091094

And you've even adopted Crowley's spelling. Well done, Anon!
>>
>>18090662
If you want the classic core of the system, check out the books "Condensed Chaos" and "Liber Null."

Practice is where it's at though, just reading won't get you anywhere. Distill the basic techniques from the reading material and apply them to whatever inspires you.
>>
>>18091075
>Catholics worship Satan.

R u embblying they do not?
>>
I just did my first spell today
>>
>>18091843
What'd you do, and with what goal? Any results yet?
>>
>>18091856
It was a paper wish spell, unfortunately most of my windows have screens on them so I wasn't able to toss the ashes out of them, instead simply walking outside and lighting the paper until it was fully burned
>>
Saw this video of this older guy toying around with this black mirror. Apparently he has a graduate degree in magic. Find one like him to teach you, mentors are where it's at today
>>
>>18091882
A tip: add some ritual into the burning. Anything that has symbolic meaning to you can be incorporated. I usually do my burning outside in a mild trance using symbolic tools.
>>
>>18093282
Would candle color have any effect on how the wish is fulfilled? As for the sealing and the burning I was using a red one
>>
>>18093356
I don't use candle colors personally but I know of people who do. If you find a personal significance in different colors, incorporating that into the ritual should work great. The most important part is that the ritual environment you set up feels appropriate to you.

For example, compare two people; one who is picky about candle colors and has rather conventional color associations, and one who doesn't give a shit. If person B was working a healing ritual, they'd get the same results no matter what kind of candle they used; white, black, hot pink, it wouldn't matter. In contrast, if person A used a black candle in the same ritual, it'd likely be a flop, but if they used a white candle it would probably be even more successful than person B's ritual.

It really is just a matter of taste. Ultimately the real power of ritual magic comes from the mind; the tools are just props. Highly useful props.
>>
>>18090923
That was the second thing I didn't really go into. You have the language and can sigilize it by breaking the phrases down into signifiers and throwing them into a new phrase or chord or series of chords. Thus meaning is lost and you have the wonky noise of a sigil in musical form.

I've never actually tried it though as the study of vibration and timing in the normal sense is enough work for a lifetime.
>>
>>18089215
Honestly, chaos magic is nothing more than the general heading under which you're most likely to find others who actually know what they're doing. Probably 97% of chaotes are still inactive bores of the same general sort you're likely to find under the heading of Satanism, but at least a few of the remaining 3% are worth the stigma of tacitly associating yourself with a "movement". As a semi-reliable test, I'd say the more worthwhile they are, the less you'll see them spouting chaoist slogans left and right or waxing on about trite occult philosophies from the "age of spirituality".
Thread posts: 53
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoin at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Posts and uploaded images are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that website. If you need information about a Poster - contact 4chan. This project is not affiliated in any way with 4chan.