[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How can i practice buddhism as a layperson? Which books should

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

File: 612siddhartha.png (76KB, 300x402px) Image search: [Google]
612siddhartha.png
76KB, 300x402px
How can i practice buddhism as a layperson? Which books should i read? I already meditate. Can you recommend me some books or websites?
>>
the Zohar
>>
>>18049107
What's that?
>>
>>18049031
Falun gong.

The begginers book is called 'china falun gong'.

The advanced book is called 'zhuan falun'
>>
/lit/ would probably help you more than this board mate, just to be realistic about it

unless by "buddhism" you mean "astral projecting with bigfoot and little grey men into nirvana"
>>
>>18049553
Doubtful.
>>18049031
Esoteric Buddhism.
>>
Roshi Suzuki's "Beginner's Mind" is aimed clearly at laypersons, it's a good book m80
>>
>>18049031
3 best options are (from 0 to 100% esotericz):
vipassana, zen, tibetan

if your serious about it looking for a sangha near you is the best option

best general book about buddhism would be Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha (tldr - there's 3 parts of buddhism which I'll paraphrase: ethics/morals, concentration meditation, insight meditation)

ps - one of the cool parts of the book which ties in to >>18049107 is him pointing out (the obvious), that systems like the kabbala/tree of life are just another way of mapping out the realms (of consciousness) you explore while in meditation

anyway, do what thou willt, peace!
>>
>>18049031
Just be a Nihilist, Westerner... We both know thats what you really mean when you think "Bhuddist".
>>
>>18049031
>Life is suffering so let's erase myself from existence.
>>
>>18049630
>Mastering the Core Teachings of the Buddha
just ordered this, even though I'm not even that much into buddhism. But this looks great.
>>
BUDDHISM IS THE ASTRAL STAR OF THE NORTH MOON

CHRISTIANITY IS THE EARTH VOID OF THE SOUTH MOON

LAYPERSON MUST READ "Perfect Conduct: Ascertaining the Three Vows by Ngari Panchen, Dudjom Rinpoche, ISBN 0-86171-083-5"

HAHAHAHAH I AM THE MOON
>>
File: dailyzen.png (91KB, 1348x625px) Image search: [Google]
dailyzen.png
91KB, 1348x625px
>>18049031
I've read two books on Buddhism so far:

>"Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind" by Shunryu Suzuki.
As the title suggests, this book focuses heavily on Zen philosophy, particularly of the Soto school. The book's message is mainly that, as opposed to intense meditation or studying complex scriptures, being earnest and diligent in everything you do is the true path to enlightenment.

>"The Teaching of Buddha" by Bukkyo Dendo Kyokai (apparently this is an organization, not an author)
This book goes over the fundamentals of Buddhism and has lots of cool stories and parables. It has kind of a Pure Land bias, though, presenting Amida Buddha and his sacred realm as absolute fact while barely even mentioning other sects, such as Theravada or Zen.
>>
>>18049031
Be a Jainist instead
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.