[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

We always expect to find aliens and discover they are these intelligent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: image.jpg (17KB, 331x152px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
17KB, 331x152px
We always expect to find aliens and discover they are these intelligent highly advanced life forms superior to us but what if the truth is more boring? What is our closes galactic neighbors are 'Literally' just other people pretty much exactly like us? Does /x/ think this is more or less probable?
>>
>>18005933

if they find us first = they are more advanced

vice versa
>>
There are books on astrobiology.

One I got from my library said scientists agree there could be civilized life in the stars, but what if there's only one every 50,000 years?

An Earth like planet could emerge 10's of thousands of years after our time or vice versa
>>
>>18006191
Not necessarily, hypothetically if we develop similar scientific methods of finding life on other planets at around the same rate, finding one "first" doesn't really mean we are "more advanced" just means we looked somewhere first before they did, while maybe they were using the same technology only seemingly looking in the opposite direction. At the point it's merely just luck and good timing.
>>
>>18006222
This; the time factor obviously could make a huge difference. What will humans be like in a million years?

There was a thread I posted a lot in a few weeks ago, I think on /sci/, about my own personal belief that any tool-using technologically capable intelligent life would have to be very much like us. There are many different physiological, developmental requirements which favour bipedal, mammalian (or at least warm-blooded) forms with paired sensory organs (eyes, ears, nostrils) near the top of the structure, two arms with digits, heck even opposable thumbs.

Now I grew up on science fiction and would love there to be big eyed monsters from Venus as Captain Beefheart puts it, but it's just not likely that if I did ever marry a monster from outer space we would "walk out, tentacle in hand" (thanks John Cooper Clarke.) Tentacles are just mechanically inefficient.

This is much more a question for /sci/ than /x/ and needs some knowledge of physiology and developmental biology to discuss.

What is much more /x/ material is considering our non-physical neighbours, those beings who aren't incarnate.
>>
>>18006340
>our non-physical neighbors, those beings who aren't incarnate
does it really fall short of being incarnate if they still have individuated consciousness? ego death is my understanding of what it's like to reverse or trace backwards the process of incarnation, but if you are say a being like one of the spirits from goetia, with individuated thoughts, beliefs, intentions, etc. then would such a being not be describable as incarnate on some ante-Malkuth plane?
>>
Some planets sort of resemble the "lake of fire" written about in the bible...
>>
>>18006367
I believe the word is incorporeal
>>
I'm glad my post inspired actual intelligent discussion.
>>
>>18006367
That would be my understanding. An astute observation, anon. I like the terms from Alice Bailey where the different 'vehicles of expression' are referred to as 'bodies'; physical body, etheric body, emotional body, mental body, etc.
>>
>>18005933

>If they are exactly like us

Anon, that would be fucking creepy as shit. It would imply a whole tonne of possibilities, not one of which is reassuring

>Evolution of intelligent life is not affected by variations in environment and is instead determined along a preset path
>The human race's biological structure is the only one which can exist for an extended period of time
>Intelligent life is designed according to a template which can't be affected by evolution
>Intelligent life cannot evolve below the surface of the sea and continue to exist primarily there as they evolve
>Children from parents spanning across the stars would be exactly the same as children from parents who lived down the road from each other
>Racists are actually completely braindead as opposed to socially ignorant given that all 'races' can evolve to exist across the galaxy
>Technology's progress follows a set path, and after a while all trees either vanish apart from one, or one method of engineering is supreme to all others in every regard
>Intelligent insect, lizard, quadruped mammalian, bird etc based life cannot evolve naturally

>>18006387

That being said, this is one of the less worrying verse from the bible.

Consider

>chariots of fire
>the ACTUAL eldritch like descriptions of angels
>'apocalypse horn' sounds produced by high magnitudes of electromagnetic waves causing vibrations in the atmosphere
>descriptions of dragons closely resembling dinosaurs, like some sort of ancestral memory
>>
>>18006636
Pretty much what I was implying, but we have to be careful what we make it mean.

It's not so much that evolution isn't affected by variations in environment, more that the variations can't be too big. There's a 'goldilocks' zone for every parameter which leads to being able to manipulate tools. As you mention, undersea life seems to have peaked with where we are now, dolphins. Unless they have some freaky stream of intelligence we don't understand still evolving.

Talk of templates can get a bit religious, I prefer to think of it as only one design that does the job. We don't freak out at a camel being the best template for life in a desert, it's the same for humans, we're the best design for the evolution of intelligent tool using life.

As to insects, birds, etc, yes there are simple physiological reasons why not.
>>
>>18006636
Don't follow the chariots of fire, and horn stuff, care to say more?
>>
>>18005933
I tend to think other sapient life in the universe (capable of space-travel) will either be eldritch abominations or machines.
>>
Never put out the story, it's time to.
>be me,29,french fag, agnostic, don't believe in pasta shit, would love to know what 'alien' means, but think my life isn't long enough to know that one day.
>Meet 23yo GF 2 years ago. She is very smart, as well as pretty, also russian.
>We liked to talk about astrology, science, together we can make a /x/ thread on our own.
>I tell her that we think about aliens in an antropomorphic way too much. I mean beings are not meant to be like us, we are so far from knowing all the kinds of life's form.
>She tells me they aren't different than us, at least physically.
> Ask how the fuck can she knows about that ?
> Gf abandons thread... and don't want to talk about it no more.
> We got that discussions several times after. Each time she did'nt want to tell me more. Until one day.
> REDPILL ME HONEY.PNG
> She told me when she was 16, in France, living near a forest in one the many house her parents got; she felt something indescriptible. Like an evidence.
> She was walking to the forest, and she saw 2 personns in front of her.
> By walking at them she noticed that strange feeling i mentioned earlier.
> Me : come on ! You just freaked because your muh sensitive girl ! They were just people !
> Then girl told me that they behave like someone who doesn't know how to act or to behave in a place. Like they were faking something. The guy was wearing a suit, at the lady a dress, both with dark colors clothes.
> She was actually walking with her earplugs with music, pretending she didn't noticed they were weird.
> The she tells me she felt watched, continuously.
> Just after she crosses them, she turned back to look at them, they were looking at her. Peacefully.
> Their eyes were unexplainable, like eyes with nothing you can understand about by looking at them.
> Out of that, they were looking like proper humans, except dressed like for the city in the middle of the countryside, just near a forest though..
> The moment lasted 10 sec.
>>
>i tried to imagine those 2 people, acting like they don't know how to act ..
>becoming freaky
>While she was caught looking at them, they both smiled in the weirdest manner, and told her to be quiet and go.
> She told me again she knew, no matter how.

I trust my gf, she's gonna be my wife so i'm sure she lived that. But it's her interpretation..

Her dad was in KGB, and told her about some strange stuffs also. I never got to know quite much, the girl has private garden... and father since has 'an accident' ..

Anyway i think i must consider this story.

Don't know if they are similar stories already.
>>
>>18005933
I think that's actually very likely. I'm also not convinced of the oft-repeated meme that intelligent alien life would all be totally non-human in form and that their way of thinking would be totally incomprehensible to us. I think the people who say that just like Lovecraft too much.
>>
I don't find that boring at all. Would be interested to see how their culture and practices differ from ours (unless you are talking about a totally identical planet)
>>
>>18006334
Yeah, imagine that we found each other at roughly the same time, both using relatively primitive means. Like, we both send some sort of robotic spacecraft with a light sensor on it and communicate with flashing lights that take a decade to reach one another.

If such a thing occurred, it would raise more questions than it would answer.

The chances that they would also be some variant of humanoid are very slim. If they were, then it would undoubtedly mean that we share some degree of common engineering.
>>
>>18005933
I think we are looking at too "human"-like solution to advanced life forms.

I personally believe Lovecraft was onto something with his mythology. Cosmic beings of vast scales that are not even exactly depended on ordinary geometry or physics.

Beings that are so advanced that they are actually cosmic forces themselves
>>
>>18005933

Nah i dont think theres a chance, to many variables...size of planet and gravity, atmosphere composition, light, radiation, if theirs water or even a moon to create tides, and big life extinction / changes to the planet/ The list goes on and their would be hundreds if not thousands of other factors that ultimately determine how life evolves and progresses. Unless these variables are the same as earths history, then no, the intelligent life wouldnt be exactly like us.

However, im imagining intelligent life to look somewhat similar to us - probably bipedal, have some kind of hands or grasping mechanism, some opening to communicate with/and or telekinesis/ advanced visual communication such as rapid colour pattern formation...i dunno something like that.

The sad thing I think about is that either intelligent species know we are here and are hiding themselves from us, they havnt found us yet, other intelligent species havnt developed, or we are just a fluke and theres no other intelligence, overall these all kinda suck.
>>
>>18006191
Objectively false, put in money/investments into the production jew and then they'll find us first with rockets or alien ships.

Imagine this, if someone dresses like a homeless person, but wear a patek philipe watch, you'll have mixed feelings about whether or not he is rich.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.