[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you think that there was a "great flood" event sometime

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 3

File: deluge.jpg (19KB, 220x287px) Image search: [Google]
deluge.jpg
19KB, 220x287px
Do you think that there was a "great flood" event sometime in prehistory? I mean, there are so many flood myths all over the world. That is pretty unusual.
>>
>>17985326
Most likely, all myths have some truth.
Could be the post-ice age sea rise, could be a change in climate leading to more severe storms and changes in the currents (in the Middle Ages during a major climate shift there was a series of massive storms that flooded coastal cities all over Northern/western Atlantic Europe)

Being as all early civilizations were built on river lands and often close to the coast they would be extremely susceptible to any storm surge or rise in sea level.
For one example, the city of Ur is now underwater.
>>
>>17985353
This

Basically there are no signs of the whole world being flooded at all in the time of humanity. But because humans typically lived by water so if any flood destroyed a city a myth could easily start
>>
>>17985359
It's also possible that a rapid enough climate shift could have wiped out nearly all early civilization, considering how few big cities there would have been at such an early time, and how concentrated they would have been to only a select few sites

That's not even considering more outlandish things like supervolcanos, meteor impacts, massive solar storms, and more, all of which could have very rapid and deviatating impacts on the entire globe, not to mention any early cities.

And considering how fragile civilization was (the Bronze Age dark age nearly saw a complete collapse of all western civilizations) it's entirely possible a relatively advanced society could have been completely wiped out.
>>
>>17985353
This, pretty much.

You're wrong about Ur, though. It was once a coastal city but is now far inland. The sea receded.
>>
File: 6mwNqzh.jpg (133KB, 634x408px) Image search: [Google]
6mwNqzh.jpg
133KB, 634x408px
>>17985326
>Cultures all over the world share the same stories

>Unusual
>>
File: image.jpg (220KB, 800x1192px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
220KB, 800x1192px
>>17985326
Black Sea Basin Flood c. 10,500BCE.
Dude survived with family and a few chickens.
When he arrives on shore, the people there go, "Wow!"
Legend told around campfires and story spreads around planet.
Millenia later people finally write it down.

Pretty simple really
>>
>>17985945
>Some people are not fascinated by this.
I feel sorry for them.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DA-AkJzpKmg

Yeah.
>>
Sure, it's possible.
>>
The great flood was about dubs get threads
>>
>>17985326
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Missoula_Floods

Shaped the landscape of much of the northwestern united States, my homeland.
>>
>>17986556
No, it isn't. Sorry
>>
>>17985326
>Lots of people have stories about the most common Natural Disaster

So spooky.
>>
Flood in the sense of destruction of all civilization, yes.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.