[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What are some spooky legends from Australia? All I know

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 8

File: AustralianFlag.jpg (180KB, 2254x1861px) Image search: [Google]
AustralianFlag.jpg
180KB, 2254x1861px
What are some spooky legends from Australia? All I know of is the Yowie.
>>
>>17964544
Bunyip. Not sure if it's the equivalent of drop bears though, I'm a gullible cunt.
>>
Shitposting poltergeists
>>
>>17964544
Also hear a lot that the wooded areas in NSW and Queensland are where a lot of the shit goes down. Really wanna go out there at some point but I'd probably die from stupidity before I saw anything cool
>>
Drop bears
>>
don't know but innawoods here is great
>>
Does anyone know where to find that Bunyip (I think) incident that was called in to a radio station? I remember the story was that the guy was trucking through some country as fuck town, and stopped for the night in the middle of nowhere. He was attacked during the night by something, got a good look at it as he was dragged into the woods. I think I remember someone was strung up in a tree? Either him or someone else. Made the rounds on /x/ a few years ago, and I haven't been able to find it anywhere since.
>>
>>17966599
I think I know the one you mean, the dude sounded fucking terrified telling the story. No idea what it was called though, sorry
>>
>>17966606
No problem man. It was pretty popular in the day, I'm sure someone will have it stashed away somewhere.
>>
>>17966599
http://bitey.com/flash/pilliga/pilliga.html
>>
oOOoOOoOO

aBoS
>>
>>17966634
Maaaaaaaate
>>
>>17964544
Ayers rock?
>>
>>17964544
Alf Stewart.
>>
>>17966642
I'LL BITE YOUR FACE CUNT
>>
>>17966557
You just made me remember something fucking scary that happened when I was 13

>be around christmas time
>me, best friend and two chicks are walking around town looking at the lights
>there's a short trail through some woods that connects to a street near my house and an estate
>we walked all the way around, through the estate and to the trail
>we're just standing at the entrance telling eachother to go first
>it's pitch fucking black in there but we're like fuck it and about to walk through
>this chick fucking SCREAMS her lungs out somewhere in there or on the other side
>don't even hesitate to run away as fast as we can

Yee I fucking hate the woods
>>
Who the fuck cares. Everything is fucking huge and fucking poisonous not even going near that piece of scorching shit island
>>
File: coober-pedy-danger-sign[1].jpg (145KB, 1000x666px) Image search: [Google]
coober-pedy-danger-sign[1].jpg
145KB, 1000x666px
>>
>>17967416
That was really rude :(
>>
>>17968127

What's the story there? Mines?

Here in the coal belt, there are some danger areas you're not supposed to go. Sink holes opening up, gases venting, etc.
>>
Bumpin for local spoops
>>
>>17968274
Coober pedy is where the best opals are mined.
>>
Derro cunts + most abos
>>
File: s-pv-tv-004[1].jpg (51KB, 719x300px) Image search: [Google]
s-pv-tv-004[1].jpg
51KB, 719x300px
>>17966694
>>17966557
>Calling the bush "woods"
Fuck off cunt

>Be me
>At Mount Buffalo in Victoria on a very misty day
>About to climb to the top of The Horn (The highest part of the mountain)
>See something big jump over the ledge near the hut
>Think it must be a lyre bird so run over to see it because close encounters are reasonably rare
>Thing has fucking vanished
>Walked up and down the horn as fast as possible because I'm well spooped

Also had some weird recurring dreams about a cyclops on that mountain as a kid

>pic related is where I saw whatever it was
>>
this isn't spooky, but it's weird as hell
http://mysteriousuniverse.org/2016/07/the-strange-elephant-humanoids-of-australia/
>>
>Going on one of those school camps, probably like grade five or something.
>The place was called Sunday Creek I think
>In the middle of fucking nowhere, really nice during the day but pitch fuckin black at night
>My ass actually prayed when I had to use the bathroom at night
>One night they take the whole camp out for a campfire >make damper, tell spooky stories, all that good stuff
>The start telling us about The Yowies.
>They'd showed us 'yowie traps' earlier in the day, which were just a bunch of sticks poking out of the dirt
>Also, conveniently, their eyes glow when you point a torch at them.
>One of the camp instructors gets a big ass torch and shines it into the bush
>Dozens of eyes shining back at us
>The next day we're gardening in that very bush
>There's a bunch of reflectors nailed to the trees
>Mama didn't raise no fool
>"Excuse me, what are these reflectors for?"
>Never get an answer
I find it hard to believe I was the first person to ask, you'd think they'd have come up with an answer.
>>
>>17969735
>Strange Elephant Humanoids
That's just my dad.
>>
File: Yowie power!.jpg (82KB, 564x390px) Image search: [Google]
Yowie power!.jpg
82KB, 564x390px
My understanding of Bunyip stories (or dreamtimes) is they were told to aboriginal children by their parents to keep them from playing and drowning in waterholes or wandering off and getting lost.

a few (speculatively) very haunted places I know of in NSW are:
The manly quarantine station
Parramatta orphanage
Studley park manor

a simple web search will find you far more than you will ever need though since many small towns and capitol cities have ghost tour companies for tourism (that tend to talk more about history than anything else).

You might also want to check out Phantom cat wiki since there are a plethora of myths behind those too e.g the blue mountains panther.
>>
>>17966664
I'll fuck you in the head with scissors!
>>
>>17969841
STREWTH.
>>
No idea how to spell it properly, but something called the "yarramayahoo", kind of silly Australian folklore creature, but pretty damn creepy, red skin, sucks blood through its fingers, spooky stuff
>>
>>17969905

"Yara-ma-yha-who"
>>
>>17969752
>You got pranked and they were too lazy to explain it to your slow ass mind
>>
>>17964544
Straya has some good legends but they're 99% born out of being on a massive continent with too much space on it and plenty of weird-sounding wildlife.

Spoopy shit is pretty much limited to the bunyip and myths like that are the least of your worries here. Truth is, there's a lot of species that CAN kill you, but unless you're really really far from a hospital or stranded in the desert, most of them won't.
>>
>>17966694
>story about muh spooky woods
>australia

Thanks for the laugh
>>
>>17970206
why should it matter where it happened
>>
>>17970162
>I knew what the reflectors were for and was giving them a chance to explain themselves.
Try again buddy
>>
>>17970209
Woods should be replaced with bush, "innawoods" is so american, in austria it would be "out bush" unless they were born n raised in cities, or trying to relate to none aussies
>>
>>17964544
jghjghjghjghjgh
>>
>>17970234
Gone walkabout
>>
>>17969843
It's 'struth'. It means 'God's truth'.
>>
Not sure if "legends" exactly, but I'll post a couple of things I have
>>
File: devils pool.jpg (42KB, 282x265px) Image search: [Google]
devils pool.jpg
42KB, 282x265px
>>17970386

"Devil's Pool - North QLD"

Hidden deep in the tropical rainforest in the Babina Valley lies Boulders Pool. A rocky pool and stream of unusually cold waters despite the heat and humidity of the area (and compared to nearby waters).

Known to locals and members of the Indigenous Yindiji tribe as The Devil’s Pool, 11 documented lives have been lost since 1934 (though locals put the number as closer to 14), all but one of which, were young men in their late teens/early twenties.
These deaths are suspected to be due to the temperature of the water, however, it is said that the waters are inhabited by the ghost of Oalana, who fell in love with a man from another tribe and threw herself into the waters of The Devil’s Pool when they were caught together and separated.

Legend has it that Oalana’s spirit remains in the pool, calling out to young men who happen to pass by.

A local librarian is said to have taken a photo of the pool only to discover the image of what is thought to be the face of it’s most recent victim in the water. I am currently in the process of tracking down the original photograph.
>>
File: sarahs grave.jpg (43KB, 225x300px) Image search: [Google]
sarahs grave.jpg
43KB, 225x300px
>>17970393
This one is a bit shit, sorry. Well.. shitter than the others.

Nestled in a patch of thick bush just outside of Penrith, NSW is Castlereagh Anglican Cemetery. The resting place for many Australian Pioneers from the 1800′s, the cemetery is heritage listed and of great significance to Australian historians.
For locals, however, the significance of one grave in particular is prevalent; that of Sarah Simpson (formerly Sarah Marshall, 1797 - 1838). A convict transported over for a 7 year sentence, Sarah Simpson was brutally murdered by a group of men in a ‘fit of lust’.
Nowadays, the cemetery is notorious for ghostly apparitions of a woman, strange noises and ghostly orbs. It is also common knowledge that a man will often chase thrill-seekers away at night with a shovel. He is said to live next door to the cemetery and potentially be a self-appointed caretaker. A friend once confided in me that she and a group of friends were chased by this man ‘holding a crowbar’. That particular story sounded a little too horror-movie for me.
>>
File: crypt.jpg (27KB, 400x281px) Image search: [Google]
crypt.jpg
27KB, 400x281px
>>17970400
Sorry, that ones was "Sarah's Grave"

Sarah’s grave is commonly confused with an unmarked, crypt-like grave
>>
File: clarkfield.jpg (131KB, 614x508px) Image search: [Google]
clarkfield.jpg
131KB, 614x508px
>>17970405
Clarkefield Hotel, Victoria

Clarkefield Hotel, now known as Coaches and Horses Inn has stood in the country town of Clarkefield for nearly 200 years. While it is not the oldest pub to survive to this day, it is arguably the most haunted.
Moving furniture and drinking paraphernalia have been known to move around on their own, particularly at night.Apparitions, audible voices and moans, creaking and footsteps have reportedly occurred seemingly out of nowhere and the inn has changed hands several times, occasionally admittedly due to the strange events.
In one such incident, a previous owner was drawn downstairs by the sounds of glasses clinking seemingly on their own and felt himself ‘pushed’ down the stairs, severely damaging his ankle. Interestingly, doctors and paramedics speculated that an injury of this particular nature could only have occurred by a direct, downward fall from a great height.
The inn has a history of drunken debauchery, violence, suicide and even murder.
In recent decades, three chefs have been fired, twice removed by police; all involved sudden and unexpected outbursts of anger and violence.
>>
>>17970347
No one cares
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.