[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Does anyone know the relationship between Azathoth and cthulhu

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 5

Does anyone know the relationship between Azathoth and cthulhu in the Cthulhu mythos?
>>
>>17905781
Wrong.
>>
>>17905779
Azathoth is like his uncle or some such
>>
File: CthulhumythosShrefflerchart.png (27KB, 180x180px) Image search: [Google]
CthulhumythosShrefflerchart.png
27KB, 180x180px
>>17905779
>>
>>17905797
your god is gay and a shit
>>
>>17905818
If the Great Old Ones worship the Outer Gods, why where they punished?
>>
>>17905779
Azathoth is the father of all, Cthulhu is second generation, so azathoth is his great grandfather.
>>
File: 3559419-3097994455-bmwho.jpg (135KB, 912x1118px) Image search: [Google]
3559419-3097994455-bmwho.jpg
135KB, 912x1118px
>>17905779
Azathoth is the Lord of All, the mindless nuclear chaos that resides in an unlighted chamber beyond space and time, accompanied by the equally mindless cohort of Outer Gods, which dance to the sounds of drums and a flute. The sounds of the flute combine to create the laws of each cosmos (i.e. the multiverse is created in Azathoth's chamber)

Cthulhu is referred to as the High Priest of the Old Ones. Lovecraft also mentions that he is like a less-powerful 'cousin' of the Old Ones. The Old Ones are entities that reside between dimensions and cannot be seen (Cthulhu can only see them dimly). Therefore, since Cthulhu adopts a semi-physical form, I'd say he is an entity that is stuck between our corporeal sphere and the interdimensional realm.

There's no direct relationship between Cthulhu and Azathoth that I'm aware of, other than this chart (pic related) made by Lovecraft as a joke.

>>17905835
Perhaps they tried to bit off more than they can chew? In Lovecraft's short story "Hypnos", a god in human form tries to take control of the known universe through dreams and finally meets a gruesome end when a monstrous cosmic entity notices it.
>>
>>17905779
none of it was made clear in the source material so lovercraft didnt bother to try to make any direct link between the two in his work probably

there is 1 major distinction though between the two in the source material. the lord of chaos is indestructable. tiamat wasnt even indestructable
>>
There is but one TRUE INFINITE CREATOR, ADONAI.
>>
>>17905992
Yaldabaoth, pls
>>
>>17905791
Wrong.
>>17905855
True, but Cthulhu is third. 2nd generation were still Outer Gods. Cthulhu is not.
>>
>>17905779
No, just Nyarlathotep and Azathoth.
>>
HPL didn't define any relationships because once you start filling in details like relationships, his monsters start losing their appeal. He was really big on leaving everything to the imagination.

Later on August Derleth got the rights to his work and organizing it in all sorts of structures that were his own imagination, rather than anything in the books.

shit like

>>17905818
>>
>>17907857
>big on leaving everything to the imagination
That sounds like Lovecraft.
>>
File: 1466913753176.jpg (286KB, 1920x2560px) Image search: [Google]
1466913753176.jpg
286KB, 1920x2560px
(1/2)

>>17905779
It's been a while since I've read it all, so hopefully I recall the details correctly. You really need to read everything and piece it together for yourself to get a feel for what he was trying to describe.

In the original Lovecraft canon, Azathoth is a nuclear chaos which tends to be described with direct contradictions at different points in his works. ex. It is at the center of the universe and simultaneously outside of it in a "chamber"; it is a blind idiot god which is also all-seeing and may or may not be the source of all reality.

It is surrounded by frantically dancing beings which I believe are its direct spawn. They play flutes and drums to keep Azathoth in a half-waking stupor, and I think it's implied that if they ever stop, all of reality goes to shit.
>>
File: 1440589379210.png (271KB, 892x720px) Image search: [Google]
1440589379210.png
271KB, 892x720px
(2/2)

>>17907998

This is all just inferred from bits and pieces in the stories, but Azathoth seems to be the progenitor of all of the other Outer Gods, which are in turn the progenitors of the Great Old Ones, which are in turn the progenitors of the lesser alien races (...one of which created a slave race of goo monsters made of tentacles/eyes/mouths called Shoggoths, which somehow gave rise to algae in Earth's oceans and directly resulted in the evolution all life on the planet.) Keep in mind, these different classifications were never very well defined by Lovecraft, and August Derleth tried to expand upon them more later (see below).

Lovecraft's original mythos had maybe half a dozen Outer Gods at most (Azathoth, Nyarlathotep, Shub-Niggurath, etc.), plus a handful of Great Old Ones (Cthulhu) and alien races. The 'gods' of his universe are just different tiers of extraterrestrial beings of varying power/influence/age/knowability.

August Derleth came along after Lovecraft died and expanded the whole mythos into the bullshit that it has become. Dozens and dozens of beings with names that are hard to pronounce for the hell of it, and all of them have muh edgy epithets/ spooky symbols/ descriptions.

I guess the best way to characterize it is that he didn't want to leave any room for ambiguity, whereas Lovecraft's view of a terrifying and uncaring universe relied on that ambiguity for its entire atmosphere.
>>
>>17907998
>all of reality goes to shit
As opposed to balance being restored and having the shit spread evenly?
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.