[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Ok im going to trigger a lot of you by saying this BUT I liked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 1

File: image67.jpg (179KB, 1280x688px) Image search: [Google]
image67.jpg
179KB, 1280x688px
Ok im going to trigger a lot of you by saying this BUT I liked both Halloween remakes, I honestly dont see the fucking problem with them, have you seen the other remakes? I know you did, I know they are pure shit, I know it hurts you as a horror fan, I know.

Look im a huge Carpenter fan and sure I would have liked a more suspenful remake BUT I actually like what they did with the Myers character, think about it, what made the original work? The killer had no backstory, no emotions, NOTHING, he could be looking at you through a cracked door, and that is his thing BUT think about it, what makes the remakes work (at least for me) ?

We have seen Michael and holy shit he was like us! Sure his family was rednecks but he was a regular kid, one day he couldnt take the abuse and he snapped. Was he truly evil? Zombie makes us question the killers we love, "real" Halloween fans cry and insult Rob Zombie because they just want a killing machine.

You get that, but you will also accept the fact that there is no such thing as "pure evil", it shows you that people can snap and THAT is truly horrifing, think about your brother, the dude you know from all your life suddenly snaps and kills your entire family and doesnt speak again.

You dont even want to imagine that, because thats some shit that could happen in real life.

You see Myers is USA, his inocence was lost and he did horrific things and people seemed to love him like a rock star, this theme is expanded in the sequel showing us what Dr. Loomis would look like in the real world that is also played by a real life rock star made famous by portraying a sociopath killer. Dont you see? Zombie is placing a mirror at the audience, he wants us to see what we are, we are the "monsters".
>>
In the remake Myers is portrayed as a loner, probably suffering from schizophrenia and ptsd. He seems to kill only when pushed to a certain point, also we learn that he has compassion when he look at a little kid, and the kid asks "are you a giant?" while the mother grabs him a bit weirded out. Michael just stands there, whos to say he isnt smiling under that mask?

Who knows he might be alright if he wasnt pushed every 5 minutes by some asshole.

Rob Zombie gave Michael Myers life, you can continue hating it but I will remind you that all of your loved Carpenter classics were received as SHIT back in the day, so I believe the remakes will become a cult classic.

Out of all the horror icons, Zombie made the most respectful remake and actually kept the legacy alive if only for 2 movies.

Oh and one other thing, Freddy vs Jason is better than both remakes combined.
>>
I still have mixed feelings about going so deep into Michael's character. Michael's childhood scenes were actually pretty well done and it makes the audience more invested in Michael and Myers family as a whole.
On the other hand, Michael's ambiguity and mystery in the originals was also intriguing. Less is more, so to speak. What the originals lacked in detail and polish they made up for in campyness and charm.

I obviously prefer the originals but as far as horror movie remakes go, Zombie's movies weren't terrible. They were mostly good enough to pass... They went way overboard with some plot points though, like Michael's visions of his mother with the white horses and shit, and Dr. Loomis' personal life and writing career... It lost focus too often.
>>
>>17874444
>>17874447
i see where you're coming from but here's the real issue for me is that he shouldn't have done what you're saying he did and called it "halloween."

michael myers was a specific character that people liked for a specific reason, one of those being a major lack of backstory.

this remake could have been an updated version (better special effects but story unchanged) that brought the halloween story back.

instead, he was selfish. he took an already established character and inflicted himself upon it. 70s michael did not have a redneck family. he had a decent, middle class family and that added to the horror of how he became so sick.

this was explaining away the "monster" inside of michael and making a weak social commentary on the point that "if you're shitty and fucked up you're going to raise shitty and fucked up kids" which everyone already knows.

now, if he had been able to bring the middle class family that michael really had into his remake, i would've said go for it. instead, he just made a shitty version of the family in house of a thousand corpses, except their kid was now michael myers. even cast his fucking wife AGAIN. it's ridiculous.

he totally changed the premise here and took it to ridiculous places. he made the family trash but the entire movie is full of trashy people. everyone is exaggerated because rob zombie doesn't know how to create non cartoon characters. i get that it's his style but it also really takes you out of the horror because who gives a shit if some caricature of a human being gets murdered.

he also relies heavily on shock value. maybe the original did that to a certain extent (most horror movies do) but it was much less exaggerated. zombie just doesn't know how to keep people's attention without trying to disgust them. disgust is not scary, it's shocking at best. we don't go to shock movies or disgusting movies, we go to horror movies for a reason. he's just not good at subtlety.
>>
>>17875385
>he shouldn't have done what you're saying he did and called it "halloween."
now back to my original point.

no one would have trashed this movie if he didn't try to piggyback his own vision on the name and success of a perfectly decent horror movie.

he could have made the movie he wanted. instead, he called it a "remake" in order to get people to see it. to make money. and that seems like a cheap ploy, when the remake could have honored the original. instead, it tried to outdo it in all the worst ways and eliminated everything that was special about it.

these movies have no class. they're just unpleasant to watch when you're constantly comparing them to the original.

they might have their place, but not when they're supposed to be attached to the original.

he should have just gotten his own horror movie made, unattached to halloween or the michael myers character instead of forcing this down our throats, which is really what all his movies feel like. i'm not a fan.
>>
First of all this isn't the place for this.

Second of all, all the Halloween films are fucking awful un-scary poorly made awfully directed shit and you should stop off at the store to get some taste on your way over to /tv/, you fucking plebeian.
Thread posts: 6
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.