[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What if... Petroleum [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petro

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 104
Thread images: 14

File: Crude-Oil-Sample-Illustration.jpg (16KB, 525x368px) Image search: [Google]
Crude-Oil-Sample-Illustration.jpg
16KB, 525x368px
What if...

Petroleum [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petroleum ] is really the Blood of the planet?

The Gaia Hypotesis [ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gaia_hypothesis ] formulated by the chemist James Lovelock and co-developed by the microbiologist Lynn Margulis in the 1970s; states that the Earth is a self-regulating complex system involving the biosphere, the atmosphere, the hydrospheres and the pedosphere, tightly coupled as an evolving system. The hypothesis contends that this system as a whole, called Gaia, seeks a physical and chemical environment optimal for contemporary life.

This description is parallel with the way our own bodies combine different systems and organs to regulate a whole, and sustain our own life.

What if petroleum is the blood of the Earth?
It even looks really similar to blood.
>pic related

Why lie about it? Profit is an ovbious answer.

Why keep suppressing other energy sources? Why bleed out the planet?

I want to get this subject out there, because I've never seen it discussed on /x/.
Trolls and shills are welcome too.
>>
>>17831154
Heh.
>pedosphere
>>
File: Shinra-Inc-400px.jpg (111KB, 400x200px) Image search: [Google]
Shinra-Inc-400px.jpg
111KB, 400x200px
>>17831154
You've been playing too much Final Fantasy anon.
>>
Any animal can make more blood to survive a wound.
How is oil blood if it can't regenerate it?
>>
>>17831204
oil is renewable, just not within a convenient timespan for humans
>>
>>17831207
Fossil fuel huh?
I just love science. There's absolutely no proof, but they present things as fact.
>>
The wikipedia link for petroleum states; and i quote:
>"A fossil fuel, petroleum is formed when large quantities of dead organisms, usually zooplankton and algae, are buried underneath sedimentary rock and subjected to both intense heat and pressure."

Is this a way to tell me that i should believe that thousands of tons of algae and plankton ended up in the same holes how many centuries ago and turned into billions of barrels of petroleum?

Im not saying it isn't possible for algae to become petroleum, because I don't even know how petroleum is made; but the amount claimed to be in oil reserves is stupidly high. Where did they get so many algae?
>>
File: America.png (303KB, 1280x1024px) Image search: [Google]
America.png
303KB, 1280x1024px
Earth's a spaceship. There's these solar powered oxygen scrubbers called "trees," (or algae). About 200 years ago, humans started killing these denizens on the spaceship called cetaceans, so that they could make candles and see at night, and do important things like write symbols on paper whenever they wanted. But they started to run out of cetaceans, so this clever guy came up with a process for making peat, which involved burrowing into the floor, and reversing the oxygen scrubbers process with a trick called fire. The slower the fire, and the deeper they burrowed, the longer their peat lasted. After a bit, they started to get oily peat, instead of the charcoal stuff, and that was even better for their candles than when they scrubbed out the guts of cetaceans.

Fast forward 200 years later, and the process for burrowing down and processing our recycled oxygen scrubbers got even better. There's not really any need to to this anymore--there's other ways to get light at night so we can see our letters whenever we want. But since everybody in the world is in some way connected to this imaginary thing called the "petrodollar," we all keep doing it anyways, since it's the only way to make sure everyone does their daily things they do every day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-X2atEH7nCg

That's the story as literally as it goes. You can assign whatever metaphors or spiritual meaning you want to it.
>>
>>17831204
It will, in the form of our current plastic waste layer in a couple million years. Streets in the poorest parts of Africa are made of hardpacked layers of trash, and don't even get started on the atrocities in India and Beijing. Pollution will return to some kind of fluke layer like the coal and oil layers, and resupply the "blood" system of Gaia. It's possible.
>>
>>17831222
did you drop out in middle school or something?
>>
>>17831219
Dude, people have been driving cars with fuel made from the crops they planted.
>>
>>17831154
No, oil is not earth blood.

I'm guessing that it didn't even exist under the earth's surface at first since it's made of organic material.
>>
File: 1449160814817.jpg (571KB, 1280x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1449160814817.jpg
571KB, 1280x1000px
YES it literally is the Earth's vitality etc ...

the oil industry is THE most Satanik, evil fucking shit to ever happen to the planet

I absolutely abhor cars
>>
Makes sense
>>
>>17831222
>should I believe

The good thing about science is it's true whether you believe in it or not

>algae and plankton ended up in the same hole

Where do you think algae and plankton live?

>the amount of oil reserves is stupidly high

I guess you could say 'oceans" worth?
>>
>>17831241

Fetuses do not develop blood for until 7 weeks. In the grand scale of a planet, it isn't too far off.
>>
>>17831154
The purpose of blood is to carry oxygen from the lungs to all the cells in the body.

The earth doesn't have cells, or lungs, and it doesn't have a metabolism that needs oxygen, and if it did, oil wouldn't carry it.
>>
Also, I have to ask.

Why is this Gaia Hypotesis just a hypotesis, when there is clear evidence that it is correct?

Earth is composed of organic matter; the systems described by Lovelock are evident, and even accepted by the scientific society.
Yet all of this is dismissed as a mere hypotesis?

I hope someone can clarify.
>>
>>17831285
Don't be silly. Water is the Earth's blood. It's salty, and it carries oxygen to the Earth's cells. I mean, the Earth's fish.

If the Earth doesn't have lungs, then where does wind come from?
>>
>>17831284
Never thought about that (or knew that) so good point.
>>
>>17831285

I think OP would do better to call it the Earth's life force rather than blood. It would have very different properties.
>>
>>17831219
... unlike the bible, where everything is transparent, logical, and subject to rigorous scrutiny
>>
>>17831154
Black Blood of the Earth isn't oil. Don't you people know your Carpenter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYAORXUVCY8
>>
>>17831219
Fossil feul means obviously new fossils will create more oil in the future. It is is pressed organic material from millions of years ago. The leaves of forests die, and travel down down down and eventually become more oil.
>>
>>17831207
Yea, I mean didn't you hear? We'll run out of oil by 1975.
>>
>>17831307
>Earth's life force
That would literally be geothermal heat or the core's magnetic field, not oil
>>
>>17831245

Yet you type on plastic. Made from petroleum.
>>
File: peachbrother.jpg (305KB, 610x919px) Image search: [Google]
peachbrother.jpg
305KB, 610x919px
>>17831204
its rumored that the oil reserves replenish themselves in Saudi Arabia. thats why no one can inspect them. also how they are able to flood the market with cheep oil(see gas prices). peak oil is a myth
>>
>>17831154

Stop embarassing yourself, Go back to school kid.
>>
>>17831154

Use your brain, Learn fossil fuels before you shitpost. Waste of space
>>
>>17831245

Brainless fagturd detected...
>>
>>17831545
>oil magically regenerates
yeah okay sure
>>
>>17831154
Why are you putting that label on it?
Plants uses water in bulk flow to carry glucose to different parts the plant where energy is needed. Are we drinking the blood of plants?
Why are you trying to make something scientific, paranormal?
>>
>>17831624
>Why are you putting that label on it?
That, on it. Great question!

>Plants uses water in bulk flow to carry glucose to different parts the plant where energy is needed. Are we drinking the blood of plants?
I guess plants use water as blood.

>Why are you trying to make something scientific, paranormal?
Because its both? Not to mention that it would be a conspiracy.
>>
>>17831224
What a cool music video.
>>
>>17831690
>I guess plants use water as blood.
I forgot the details but the only reason water is moving throughout the plant is due to evaporation. Water will be replaced whenever photosynthesis occurs due to the drying and the splitting of water. In other words, water can't move unless evaporation occurs. And water can't be drawn unless it exists in the soil. And the plant will die without CO2 and the sunlight. So answer which is now the blood for me.

>Because its both?
How is something that can be explained paranormal? That goes against its definition.
>>
>>17831919
None of my questions have been explained. Only one poster tried and it was mostly unrelated. So my subject remains unexplained. Check.
>>
>>17831245
Please get a brain you pathetic GreenTard
>>
>>17831919
It'd be chlorophyll. Chlorophyll is identical in composition to hemoglobin, except that it uses magnesium instead of iron.

>>17831944
Oil doesn't do anything for the Earth. It's an inert by-product caused by death.
>>
>>17831987
>Oil doesn't do anything for the Earth.
Mind explaining that one? How do you know it serves no purpose? Why would it be there if it has no purpose?

I think you are just repeating what the government says. But I could be wrong; go ahead, explain.
>>
>>17832008
>Why would it be there if it has no purpose?

>has no purpose
>but why

nigger -if- it has no purpose, there is no 'why'

that's what having no purpose means.

can you truly not wrap your head around randomness? entropy? that which has no purpose?
>>
>>17832008
I'm just going to assume you're serious.

Petroleum is there because things died and were buried before they could turn into other compounds. It's also possible that petroleum and other hydrocarbons can be made by inorganic processes. These are a few ways petroleum is formed:

>mass death of aquatic organisms
>mass death of trees and land creatures
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin

Each of these makes slightly different petroleum because of the process used to make it.

Petroleum contributes nothing to geologic or meteorologic processes because it is too deep to affect weather and too shallow to affect tectonics. In fact, oil being present above ground is actively detrimental to the environment. It makes soil infertile, ruins water quality, and generally disrupts any ecosystem it is exposed to on every level.

It contributes nothing to life outside of extremophile microbes.

Its main use is technological.

It isn't lifeblood for anything but cars.
>>
>>17832008
>why would it be there if it had no purpose

What purpose do you think it has? It's just basically a pile of shit underground. It's valuable to us because we get fuel and plastic out of it. Nothing about the earth would change if the petroleum were there or not.

>>17831987
>chlorophyll is identical to hemoglobin.

Whoa there, friend. They're not identical at all.

Now inside of both hemoglobin and chlorophyll, and several other proteins, there's something called a "porphyrin." This is mostly identical between these proteins. However, its basic function is to hold onto metal ions. It's basically a proteins way of grabbing a metal. Now all life on earth is evolved from a single common ancestor, so I have no doubt that chlorophyll and hemoglobin are related to each other. But to say they're identical just isn't true.
>>
>>17831154
good analogy because we are killing the earth with drilling/fracking
"those who destroy the earth shall be destroyed" - The Revelation 11:18
>>
>>17832080
abiogenic oil, while a "real" thing, is also a huge conspiracy theory, and an old one at that. Not surprised to find it on /x/.
>>
>>17831154
Why would petroleum be the planet's blood? The blood of a creature isn't ONLY present between the layers of skin, the majority of it is found underneath the skin.

If anything, the magma would be the planet's blood, seeing as how it is majorly found underneath the planet's 'skin' (crust).
>>
>>17831154
Petroleum is not blood of the planet. If anything, that would be magma, molten rock. Petroleum and natural gas is created from organic material, such as dead plant and animal material, subjected to high pressure, temperature and time.
As per usual, OP is a faggot.
>>
You guys are literal pricks.

I get you, OP. Just because we haven't 'proved' the earth is or isn't a living thing no one gives a shit. We are trying to compare it to animals or plants but it's both and neither at the same time.
>>
>>17833175
Thanks man. At least someone tries to understand.
Funny, how this is a *What if* thread and they all go ape shit.

AND, We still get no answer for >>17831291
>>
>>17831392
Fuck off you fucking whore
>>
File: Reserves.png (33KB, 576x701px) Image search: [Google]
Reserves.png
33KB, 576x701px
Let's discuss the amount of petroleum in relation to how it is created.

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil_reserves ]

We'll use VENEZUELA here as an example.
Says here they have a proven reserve of 297,740 MMbbl (one million barrels).

>The nominal conversion factor is 1 cubic metre = 6.2898 oil barrels

[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barrel_(unit) ]

That's 297,740,000,000 barrels or about 47,336,958,249.864 square meters.

So. Now I want to know HOW, and WHEN did 47billion square meters of *dead organisms, usually zooplankton and algae* get into the same hole in the ground?

That's a LOT of algae, don't you think? And these figures are from the reserves of just ONE country.

Am I the only one that finds this unbelievable?
>>
>>17834077
>That's 297,740,000,000 barrels or about 47,336,958,249.864 square meters.

Sorry for my mistake here. It should say cubic meters, instead of square.
>>
>>17834077
So you really are retarded

https://simple.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_extinction_events
>>
>>17831614
>must be all those dead zooplankton on Titan
abiogenic petroleum origination is real. Thermal depolymerization works on just about anything.
>>
File: 1438889284585.gif (1MB, 245x245px) Image search: [Google]
1438889284585.gif
1MB, 245x245px
>>17832102
>how to establish an anti-concept and dilute with 2 logical fallacies in one easy sentence!

Not surprised to find you here either.
>>
>>17831181
i kek'd too
>>
>>17831291
Why is the Medea Hypothesis just a hypothesis, when there is clear evidence that it is correct?
>>
>>17831944
>none of my questions have been explained by the people here
>it must be paranormal

How about just learning it yourself if you are so curious. To go on saying its paranormal just because no one in the room knows the answer is fucking idiotic.
>>
>>17831154
Oil does not flow within the earth, it remains secluded in place underground and has no effect whatsoever on anything other than maybe storing away carbon.

If you really want to compare it to the human body it'd be, like, an ingrown hair.
>>
>>17834144
looks like it's been explained several times but she either ignores or doesn't understand them
>>
>>17831154
While nice and esoteric sounding, thus theory doesn't hold water in real life. Blood flows through a system, transporting essential materials throughout the body.
Petroleum just sits there underground, until we pump it up to the surface. No other form of life has any kind of use for it.
Blood interacts with a system. Petroleum doesn't.
>>
>>17833175
Wrong. No one gives a shit because no one truly knows and its stupid to say this or that when there is no supporting evidence. Its like discussing if laser shooting robotic unicorns existed, saying what if this or that, without any evidence they actually exist. Unless you guys are just talking about how cool it would be. Then id understand.

>>17833931
>hypothesis
I dont know what you are referring to but if what you're talking about is left as a hypothesis then that means that its not testable or no one has the time or financial support to test the hypothesis.
>>
I went here 'cause I wanted to know whether /x/ realy was as stupid as everyone says.
Then I found this shit.
>>
>>17834182
>millennial blog post
Here's your spoonfed (You)
>>
>>17832080
I just read most of the info on that link (thanks, btw.)
[ https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abiogenic_petroleum_origin ]

Just a few lines in I find this:
> Scientists in the former Soviet Union widely held that significant petroleum deposits could be attributed to abiogenic origin, though this view fell out of favor toward the end of the 20th century because they did not make useful predictions for the discovery of oil deposits.

Is this a joke?
Why is the validity of theories on the origin of petroleum measured by its usefulness in *discovering oil deposits* ?

Is it maybe because Abiogenic Petroleum would prove that the Earth creates its own Carbon rich fluid and makes it flow under the soil which feeds carbon eating plants?

Isn't that exactly what blood does?
>>
>pedoshere
That's where you live, OP
>>
File: Black_Sun.svg.png (218KB, 2000x2000px) Image search: [Google]
Black_Sun.svg.png
218KB, 2000x2000px
>>17831614
>>17831545

oh but it does
>>
File: aA1W4eR_460sv.webm (2MB, 460x316px) Image search: [Google]
aA1W4eR_460sv.webm
2MB, 460x316px
>>17834348
>>
>>17834348
What? No.

If Abiogenic oil were the source of petroleum deposits, you would find petroleum deposits in places where abiogenic oil could form.

Instead, petroleum deposits are only found in ancient fossil beds in sedimentary formations.

Carbon rich fluid that feeds carbon eating plants? Lol, wut?

Plants get their carbon from the atmosphere, not petroleum in the top soil.

You realize that petroleum deposits are thousands of feet underneath the bedrock, right? Plant roots don't reach there.
>>
>>17834126
That's not a logical fallacy.

It is possible to create oil abiogenically. But that is not how petroleum deposits are formed naturally.
>>
>>17834596
>If Abiogenic oil were the source of petroleum deposits
I'm not saying abiogenic petroleum is the ONLY kind of petrol that exists. I'm saying that the idea that Earth (a planet host to carbon based life) creates its own carbon rich fluid and uses it as what would correspond to blood in humans, is being refuted without adequate evidence.

Because if abiogenic petroleum is proved true it would support the Gaia Hypotesis. And that would mean that Humans are effectively draining a living organism of its blood for profit.
PEOPLE GETTING RICH BECAUSE OF THIS EXPLOITATION WOULD NOT LIKE THAT, WOULD THEY?

>Plants get their carbon from the atmosphere, not petroleum in the top soil.
>You realize that petroleum deposits are thousands of feet underneath the bedrock, right? Plant roots don't reach there.

Blood in humans runs thru veins, yet its nutrients reach the top layer of the skin.
>>
>>17834644
oh my, i forgot my trip
>>
File: image.jpg (173KB, 640x841px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
173KB, 640x841px
>>17831245
>>
>>17834644
>And that would mean that Humans are effectively draining a living organism of its blood for profit.
PEOPLE GETTING RICH BECAUSE OF THIS EXPLOITATION WOULD NOT LIKE THAT, WOULD THEY?
I use to sell my plasma for money. It was a great way to make some extra cash on the side, and the plasma was used to help people in hospitals. I wish there was a donation center in my town, so I could keep doing it.
>>
>>17834644
Then where are the petro capillaries? If it's blood, it must breath? And blood must be filtered, and waste must be excreted, but first it must eat?
>>
I posted about this on /sci/ to get a second opinion on the scientific facts I've discussed here.
Here is the link if you want to check it out.

boards.4chan.org/sci/thread/8156707
>>
>>17831154

so it's like mako energy from final fantasy 7
>>
>>17834953
>to get a second opinion on the scientific facts
>scientific facts
Save me /x/ I'm dying
>>
>>17834653
Don't worry OP, nobody will have any trouble recognizing that the post was made by you. I didn't have to look for a trip to know that.
>>
>>17834965
some other anon posted about FFVII early on it the thread.
but i haven't played that game, do you mind explaining the relevance?
>>
>>17831296
So much this. We are 70% water and so is the planet.
>>
>>17831181
Max kek
>>
>>17835111
PLANET EARTH IS 70% WATER? HAHAHAHAHA
SHOW ME YOUR SOURCES PLEASE HAHAHA
>>
>>17831219
You must read a lot of books. I bet you even go outside sometimes. Talking to people? Not yet, baby steps my friend, baby steps
>>
>>17835134
Maps.
>>
>>17835214
While 70% of the surface may be water, the total water on the planet only counts for like 0.02% of the total mass. Sorry but "We are water and bleach is mostly water, therefore we are bleach." don't fly here
>>
I don't get why you react so negatively to this information that could change the world and our society for the better, its like you like being raped by the powers that be.
>>
File: Q&A.png (43KB, 1896x496px) Image search: [Google]
Q&A.png
43KB, 1896x496px
Here is a small question and answer post from the thread i made about this on /sci
>>
>>17835850
>information

You're not providing any information. Just misinformation, based in nonsense and stupidity.
>>
>>17835896
>based in nonsense and stupidity.
Yeah, because peer reviewed studies by award winning scientists is nonsense and stupidity.

> In 2006, the Geological Society of London awarded Lovelock the Wollaston Medal in part for his work on the Gaia hypothesis
>>
File: nibel reactor.jpg (79KB, 636x636px) Image search: [Google]
nibel reactor.jpg
79KB, 636x636px
>>17831184
Motherfucker, I thought the same as well.
>>
>>17831296
no the Ocean is the Earth's womb. That's where life evolved.
>>
The Gaia hypothesis is not really a hypothesis because it does not provide a means for testing it through experimentation.

It's an explanation of observed events certainly, and a neat daydream, but at the end of the day it's nothing more than a just-so story.
>>
>>17835927
>geologists
>giving a chemist an award
>for his work on ecology
i really hope i don't have to spell out just how little that award means
>>
>>17836917
Thank you.

>>17837008
>It's an explanation of observed events

> does not provide a means for testing it
Choose one

>>17837012
Come back when you know what you are talking about.
>>
I don't think oil is the blood of the Earth but I am familiar with the notion that Earth is liken to an organism and it truly is. The fact of the matter is that everything is connected in some way and forms the self organizing system of the universe.
>>
well I always thought that OP

what else is besides human blood and water
>>
Well if the Earth is a lifeform, then humanity is the cancer. We can only maintain our ways of living if we're at a very low energy level, Like 500,000,000 people at most.
>>
If oil is blood then we can use all we want as the planet will keep making more.
>>
File: 1420348083552.jpg (729KB, 1920x1200px) Image search: [Google]
1420348083552.jpg
729KB, 1920x1200px
>>17834672
Your body is an open system. The Earth is, for all intents and purposes, a closed system. Your body could be compared to a tube with materials flowing through it and being processed, whereas the Earth would be a swirling pool of nutrients with no inlet or outlet.
>>
File: 1420404380411.gif (644KB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1420404380411.gif
644KB, 320x240px
>>17839113
Alright then, go ahead and donate 2 pints of blood a day and see how you feel.
>>
>>17831392
tip your fedora
>>
>>17831207
blood is renewable as well. you just shouldn't take away too much at once.
>>
>>17831975
>>17831566
... so you defend the oil industry?
Thread posts: 104
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.