[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Recommend some good books, or short horror stories /x/ I personally

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

File: 1419633201464.jpg (1MB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
1419633201464.jpg
1MB, 1920x1080px
Recommend some good books, or short horror stories /x/
I personally enjoyed recently The Colour Out of Space by Lovecraft.What are some other nice stories from Lovecraft?
>>
>>17760116

The Dunwich Horror
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Call of Cthulhu
The Case of Charles Dexter Ward
>>
>>17760116

''NeverWhere''
by Neil Gaiman
originally a BBC 6-part series from 1996 (can be watched online,clips on YT, full episodes on other sites like putlocker, etc)

also as a deadly graphic novel, 2007 deffo worth checking out.

Just finished the novel, it's brilliant, not full on horror, but indubitably disconcertingly occult-y.
>>
Lovecraft only wrote his stories in order to sell them

His real passion was in the hopeful poetry he wrote

After reading many of his poems, it has become clear to me that he did not at all enjoy what he did
>>
>>17760116
Pickman's model.
Rats in the walls.
>>
>>17760116
having read all of lovecraft's work, i recommend:

whisperer in the darkness
the shadow out of time
dunwich horror
the shadow over innsmouth
the call fo cthulhu
the outsider
rats in the walls.

desu you could probably read all his works in a 3 months (if you're a casual reader) or a couple weeks (if you're hardcore about it)
>>
>>17760754
also, the haunter in the dark.

and i'm pretty drunk. that's why there's speeling errors.
>>
>>17760754
>>17760760
also, the thing on the door step

and the most important. at the mountains of madness

how the fuck am i forgetting so many...
>>
File: s-l1600.jpg (16KB, 260x400px) Image search: [Google]
s-l1600.jpg
16KB, 260x400px
OP, this is all you need regarding lovecraft

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Necronomicon-The-Best-Weird-Tales-of-H-P-Lovecraft-Commemorative-Edition-/252378425556
>>
File: Nyarlathotep.jpg (31KB, 400x762px) Image search: [Google]
Nyarlathotep.jpg
31KB, 400x762px
>>17760116
The Rats in the Walls
The Outsider
Nyarlathotep
The Other Gods
The Shadow Over Innsmouth
The Picture in the House

all very good Lovecraft short stories, except TSOI, which is his only book.
>>
>>17760252
He didn't sell any of his books though. I think that for me is why I do love his writings, because as his life went on he realized he wouldn't gain anything from them. That's also why his early stuff is so good.
>>
http://www.sacred-texts.com/nec/hpl/index.htm

Every Lovecraft book under public licence, in chronological order, available to read for free online.
>>
you're not supposed to dignify retards with an answer

you're supposed to tell them to google it
>>
>>17761878
he sold practically everything he wrote. it was his career, he didn't become rich off it

he was also an absolutely god-awful person so yeah fuck you howard
>>
>>17761993
never confuse the artist with the art

beethoven was a good awfull person too. but his symphonies are still some of the best music around.
>>
>>17762357
I'm not confusing them. I just like to say fuck HP lovecraft in particular based on what we know about him. It has nothing to do with his stories, I adore them. Just fuck him, the memory of him, and everyone like him though

"my family was rich at one time so that means i'm more valuable and important than everyone else even though im a fucking oldschool sickly british style cripple who probably couldnt lift 10 kilos"

yeah fuck you im glad you died miserable you piece of shit
>>
>>17762364
You don't make a convincing argument for your own moral superiority.
>>
>>17761993
Of course he was a shitty person, no questioning that. Respect the artist, appreciate the art. I respect his writing ability, but he is in no way a role model. That still doesn't dispute the fact that he was a phenomenal writer and one of the best horror authors of all time. So get off your high horse, there is no such thing as a good celebrity, and at least Lovecraft didn't let money go to his head.
>>
>>17760116
For some reason, my favourite story by Lovecraft always was The Doom That Came To Sarnath. It's not as spooky as the other ones, but I really love the style of this story.
>>
>>17763238
maybe you prefer the dream cycle...
Thread posts: 20
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.