[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've been reading Robert Anton Wilson recently. My head

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 7

File: hqdefault.jpg (13KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
hqdefault.jpg
13KB, 480x360px
I've been reading Robert Anton Wilson recently. My head is so overwhelmed with conspiracy, esoteric/occult stuff and plain psycho-babble that I literally have a headache from reading it. I am searching for consciousness expansion and practical methods for improving my life and finding some spiritual dimension. I am just going round in circles and I can't decide if I'm too closed-minded or that the whole thing is one big joke, and he knew it. As for his predictions and hopes for the future, he was simply way off.

I figured that Wilsons idea was to overwhelm the reader with so much conspiracy and paranoia that you begin to question everything and at the same time, take it all a lot less seriously.

I am being introduced to the likes of Leary and Crowley and whilst I appreciate their intelligence, vision and charisma....they were simply batshit crazy were they not?

Maybe my "reality tunnel" is just too closed. Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely. Or maybe until I take massive doses of psychedelics I'll never understand any of this stuff.
>>
Psychedelics will help.

If you want something practical, google, "zazen", and find a copy of, Undoing Yourself with Energized Meditation and Other Devices.

Leary got pretty weird at the end. Crowley actually seemed to grow more lucid as he aged. Neither were crazy, in the since you are thinking. They simply learned that their world was much weirder than they could have ever imagined. You, too, can make that journey and remain tolerably sane.
>>
All these men have the foundation of their philosophies based on psychedelic experiences so I would recommend safely trying them if you haven't, to give some perspective.

Crowley inspired much of RAW and his techniques were all basically rituals to destroy the ego
>>
OP here

I have to take psychs at some point. All about set and setting though and I'm concerned my current situation and mind set would simply make things worse for me.
>>
>>17674190

Yep. A tripping partner with some experience is good. Having music that lifts your mood at hand can help a.lot.
>>
>>17673829
>I am being introduced to the likes of Leary and Crowley and whilst I appreciate their intelligence, vision and charisma....they were simply batshit crazy were they not?
>Maybe my "reality tunnel" is just too closed. Or maybe I'm missing the point entirely. Or maybe until I take massive doses of psychedelics I'll never understand any of this stuff.
Meh. When I started getting into this stuff I was bugged by all this existentialist ennui, too. Keep at it, if you want. The more material you look for, the more basic explanations and/or summative pieces you will find; and then it should all become easier to grasp.
"Massive doses of psychedelics" isn't strictly necessary, just enough to have an interesting effect will be good.
If you can learn something about the stoner culture of Leary's time, such as by skimming Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test, then reading Wilson should be really basic.
>>
>>17674227
And what I mean to say about said stoner culture is, look at the art they produced, and what messages they were largely saying. Not necessarily the people themselves
>>
>>17674224
Sun Ra or moondog.
>>
Psychedelics can help. Take up Yoga if you're serious about long-term change and accessing higher circuits without drugs.
>>
Yeah, RAW's approach is to overwhelm the reader to the point that they question their reality. That's the point. The part that can be tricky is when you start to believe outlandish beliefs (i.e. shapsifting lizards are literally wearing skin suits to control the political system) instead of using common sense.

As for illuminati and secret societies, here's his REAL opinion on the subject: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQZxP-W4zUw

but by all means, you can watch that video and chalk it up to RAW over-simplifying the situation. It's up to you ;)
>>
>>17674948
pfff, as if the British Monarchy were still relevant
>>
>>17673829
Learning/ reading about Discordianism will give you a bit of insight into his way of writing. But at first it will probably have the same effect as his other writings.
>>
File: 1453502724891.jpg (79KB, 800x1201px) Image search: [Google]
1453502724891.jpg
79KB, 800x1201px
>>17673829
Duder, you sound on the right track. Wilson is certainly a zen trickster type of guy.

Try listening to him rather than reading him a bit. The humor and tone comes across much clearer.

Robert Anton Wilson: Religion for the Hell of It (stand up/lecture/Q&A)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ww9vXuwcp3g

The I in the Triangle
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9h2eNHB4vY

R.A.W. on Crowley's life and writings
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt8TZ0hYHiE
>>
>>17676361
It's the joke that never dies!
>>
RAW came up with some fucking gems in his time, so how about we post our favourite quotes from the man.

>Every kind of ignorance in the world all results from not realizing that our perceptions are gambles. We believe what we see and then we believe our interpretation of it, we don't even know we are making an interpretation most of the time. We think this is reality
>>
>>17676527
Okay, I'm game. Gimme a sec to dig through my daybook . . .

>In researching occult conspiracies, one eventually faces a crossroad of mythic proportions (called Chapel Perilous in the trade). You come out the other side either a stone cold paranoid or an agnostic; there is no third way.
>>
>>17676617
>Chapel Perilous, like the mysterious entity called "I" cannot be located in the space-time continuum; it is weightless, odorless, tasteless, and undetectable by ordinary instruments. Indeed, like the Ego, it is even possible to deny that it is there. And yet, even more like the Ego, once you are inside it, there doesn't seem to be any way to ever get out again, until you suddenly discover that it has been brought into existence by thought. Everything you fear is waiting with slavering jaws in Chapel Perilous, but if you are armed with the wand of intuition, the cup of sympathy, the sword of reason and the pentacle of valor, you will find there (the legends say) the Medicine of Metals, the Elixir of Life, the Philosopher's Stone, True Wisdom and Perfect Happiness.
>>
>>17676627
>That's what the legends always say, and the language of myth is poetically precise. For instance, if you go into that realm without the sword of reason, you will lose your mind, but at the same time, if you take only the sword of reason without the cup of sympathy, you will lose your heart. Even more remarkably, if you approach without the wand of intuition, you can stand at the door for decades never realizing you have arrived. You might think you are just waiting for a bus, or wandering from room to room looking for your cigarettes, watching a TV show, or reading a cryptic and ambiguous book. Chapel Perilous is tricky that way.
>>
File: 1309715597394.jpg (44KB, 512x408px) Image search: [Google]
1309715597394.jpg
44KB, 512x408px
>>17673829
>they were simply batshit crazy were they not?

RAW stopped taking vitamin C because the American Medical Association said it was good for you.

We are all Mad, the point is when madness starts making sense to you, you realize you're mad too.

It's turtles all the way down
>>
>>17676617
>>17676627
>>17676635
The abyss sucks btw. visit the other temples first.
>>
File: 1351178275691.jpg (71KB, 1000x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1351178275691.jpg
71KB, 1000x1000px
>>17676738
He probably didn't stop eating potatoes though.
>>
>>17676752
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_F9KVBnwoA
>>
>>17676617
>You come out the other side either a stone cold paranoid or an agnostic; there is no third way.

Nope. I came out a stone-cold atheist.
>>
>>17676497

Thanks for the links. I do like his speaking style, very dry and gotta love the Irish New Yoik accent

I have laid off his books for now. I feel like the initial headfuck has been enough to open some doors for me (although I'm still not sure how). I got myself into the crazy paranoid state he talks about to the point I almost felt stoner paranoia whilst being completely straight.

Its inevitable that one day I do psychs. But for now, accessing higher circuits of consciousness and Crowlean weirdness is off the agenda. I'm gonna stick to basic meditation and a lot of honest self-reflection
>>
>>17673829
23 big rhinoceroses
>>
>>17677273
Also listen to lot's of Alan Watts. He has a similar zen-troll message. But it's important to hear it if you're serious about seeing things as they are.

This is one of my favs at the mo, but YouTube is replete with Watts gold.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4jBd4fArfQ
>>
>>17677355
Also download his "Out of your mind" talks. They're available on the usual torrent sites.
>>
>tfw Discordian Pope

Feels Discordian, man

>>
>>17677355

I've listened to a fair bit of Watts. He was a great orator for sure. Shame a lot of his videos are those cheesy Youtube mash-ups though
>>
>>17677544
Hail Eris.
>>
File: solve-coagula.jpg (161KB, 631x645px) Image search: [Google]
solve-coagula.jpg
161KB, 631x645px
>>17673829
>massive doses of psychadelics

As someone in a similar position as you I'd highly suggest not to do this. It'll bring you experience, but it will stunt you. I've hit a literal wall in meditation, and honestly I feel I can't keep up because of how it has fucked with my brain. It will give you that ''experience" that I think most people crave for, but you will have neither the strength or coherency to actually take something away from the drugs. Unless you become a tank, but then you have to take more drugs... and then you're spinning around in a circle doing shrooms all the time thinking you are doing something with your life.

Read in search of the miraculous by PD Ouspensky anon, I think it may be something you are looking for.
>>
>>17677544
praise Bob

Hail Eris
>>
>>17677644
All hail discordia
>>
>>17676507

the strip banana of the world
>>
This is exactly what I'm looking to read more about. Can someone point me in the right direction to start off?
>>
File: image.jpg (115KB, 550x514px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
115KB, 550x514px
>>17679806 #
Illuminatus Trilogy followed by the sequel Schroedenger's Cat.

After all, Dillinger did shoot Kennedy and Mickey Mouse HAS become the principle Deity of UniStat.

Hail Eris
All Hail Discordia
>>
File: peewee-bobdobbs.jpg (34KB, 784x594px) Image search: [Google]
peewee-bobdobbs.jpg
34KB, 784x594px
>>17676942
Well he did manage to get old, so I'm guessing he was getting his victims somewhere. Just pointing out the whole discordian dirty window.

>>17676945
/out/

>>17677693
can you put a price on eternal salvation?
>>
>>17677355

Love that "Mind over Mind" discourse

Based Watts
Thread posts: 38
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.