[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hello again, /x/. I'm looking for some input. For those

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 7

File: thelogo720p.png (633KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
thelogo720p.png
633KB, 1280x720px
Hello again, /x/.

I'm looking for some input. For those that don't know me, I collect Nope stories, legends, anything /x/ related, and organize it in a library which I upload every Halloween. At today' s count, there are 4,456 stories in the NOPE stories section. Unfortunately, the farther back you look, the less quality control there is. In the last Halloween thread, I actually recommended that readers start from the most recent additions and work their way backwards, and that really shouldn't be the case. In the early days, around 2011-2012, I'd just copy-paste entire threads, and filter out only the troll posts later. While I've removed a lot of bad content since then, there's still plenty of stories that lack any worthwhile substance, or are poorly written.

The possibilities as of right now:

A.) Go back through every single story, and give each one a proper re-write. Greentext stories would be converted to a standard, full-sentence format.

B.) The greentext format is retained, but with changes to spelling, grammar, punctuation, and syntax for overall smoother reading. I already do this in stories saved in the past year or so.

Also, should stories with no substance be removed, or would you rather everything be kept? Not that no matter what, the old versions will always exist. This thing is backed up like you wouldn't believe.

I'm listening, /x/.
>>
>>17617393
I may sound like a faggot, but I think the badly written ones do have some sort of charm to them. They have a sort of fine wine type to them. They may be older, but they're vintage.
>>
>>17617393
>Not that no matter what

That should be *note* that no matter what,
>>
Hello again, it's been a while.

I say keep them, in greentext format, as they are unless the spelling/grammar is absolutely ATROCIOUS, then fix the worst offenders. Even if there are a bunch of mistakes, I feel it's more "authentic" to leave the stories as they are unless the OP wishes otherwise.

By the way, I can't remember, did you ever find a site to host your stuff on?
>>
>>17617397
>>17617780

Fair point. I just had a look through the first 20 Nope General stories, and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. I understand your point about keeping stories as-posted. I'll try and find a story to modify, then post the original and the altered version, to try and find an appropriate level of intervention.

Not really sure how to go about a website. I'd love to have one, it would sure beat the annual uploads, but I don't know much about that kind of thing.
>>
>>17617891
For starters, check out free website hosting. Maybe someone here has suggestions, I haven't created one since the 90s/early 2000s, so I don't know what's good anymore.
>>
This kid stalks people at his school, not scary, butit's fucking weird.
https://youtu.be/yttrRIl5mMk
>>
File: (34).jpg (22KB, 540x376px) Image search: [Google]
(34).jpg
22KB, 540x376px
Back with that sample edit. Driving Stories [38]:

>driving down country road
>broad daylight
>see group of black cows walking into cemetery from afar
>think nothing of it
>get close to cemetery where cows entered
>look over at cemetery
>no cows anywhere in sight (all flat ground, nowhere cows could've hid, went downhill or around corners. Time from when I saw them to cemetery was only about 1min)
>drive away fast and never drive past cemetery again... or go near cows

Might become:

>driving down a country road
>broad daylight
>see a group of black cows walking into a cemetery from afar
>think nothing of it
>get close to the cemetery where the cows entered
>look over at the cemetery
>no cows anywhere in sight (all flat ground, nowhere cows could've hid, went downhill or around corners. It was only about a minute from when I saw them to when I reached the cemetery)
>drive away fast and never drive go past the cemetery again... or cows
>>
>>17618133
Also change that "hid" to "hidden", because I'm failing to proofread in a thread about proofreading.
>>
File: vm1030.png (15KB, 286x456px) Image search: [Google]
vm1030.png
15KB, 286x456px
Alright then, here's my attempt at a Wordpress site. The layout isn't ideal, and I don't seem to have much control over that, but for now it seems ok. Let me know if the format is confusing, or if there are any other problems. Specifically, I'd like to know if you're able to access pages (right now there's only one), in a way other than the link in the second blog post.
>>
>>17618236
https://movnviol2.wordpress.com/
>>
>>17618133
I have to agree with the previous anons that changing to text isn't necessary. Green text stories are easy to read because they don't use proper grammar. They are quick and generally use fewer words than actual sentences. That said I appreciate the conservation work.
>>
>>17618250
Looks nice, I agree that the green text stories are fine as they are, bad grammar makes you think of a scared person or a foreigner, in a lot of stories it just works.

Also you are doing a fantastic job.
>>
>>17618133
definitely a waste of time to do this. there is barely even a difference, and with personal stories like this, they just feel more real with minor spelling/grammar errors. nice website btw
>>
>>17617393
If it were me (and it's not), I would leave everything unaltered. Troll posts, illiteracy, all of it. Anything else isn't /x/, it's your version of /x/.
Now, if someone else felt like spending their effort to re-edit, then there would be two versions floating around in memetic competition.
>>
>>17618133
Yeah, minor edits like that are pointless. Also

>never drive go past

You made a mistake yourself.
>>
>>17621039
>Would there be interest in an /x/ thread archive? I know there's already an online archive, but to my knowledge, not every thread is saved. Would it be worthwhile to save long threads that are about to 404 in their entirety, and have a section specifically for them?

4plebs saves pretty much everything, but purged most of the pictures recently, which sucks balls. If you could make an archive site more like chanarchive, where you had to vote to archive/keep threads, which meant better quality and weeding out the shit, which also kept full images, I'd support that in a heartbeat.
>>
Results:

- Greentext format will be retained.

- Low-level grammar/punctuation overhaul will not proceed, but certain cases will have to be made legible. I understand that for all the spookiness, the overall feeling is different without the occasional palm frawms and incoherent babble, but in there does have to be some filter, and I really don't think posts like this belong in the library. The closest thing is the Mundane Fears section, which includes cases of a scary setup that turned out to be nothing and made the contributor feel stupid.

The reason for the minor edits was because (and maybe this is just me), and sentences without a's or the's just feel kind of... hard to get through. Like a stoplight every few words. I very much disagree with the consensus on this one, but for now, the posts will remain as-is. It's easier to change later if there's an opinion shift, than it is to go back if there isn't one.

Since you all like the /x/ thread experience so much, that gives me another idea. Would there be interest in an /x/ thread archive? I know there's already an online archive, but to my knowledge, not every thread is saved. Would it be worthwhile to save long threads that are about to 404 in their entirety, and have a section specifically to store them in the completely unedited state?

Thanks to everyone who responded. I haven't done a feedback thread before, but this was helpful. There will probably be more in the future.
>>
File: 1447575051248.jpg (570KB, 1400x800px) Image search: [Google]
1447575051248.jpg
570KB, 1400x800px
>>
Waiting for OP.
>>
>>17625139
>>17621046

Thanks for keeping this bumped, but I think we're done here. Unless someone wants to add something.
>>
>>17625301
I was curious as to your thoughts about the archive.
>>
>>17621045
>>17625399

I think it's a good idea, but I'm not sure if it's within my ability to do that. As I said earlier, I know nothing about web design or even how to run a site, much less something like that.
>>
I don't really mind greentext stories, as long as they're well-written. Some greentexts have been more engrossing than proper novels.

Keep the good ones, convert the rest.
>>
Hey Librarian.

Got a question for you. You collect stories and such, but do you have someone to read them? Make them come to life? I am willing to narrate some of them, if you wish.
>>
>>17626363
For some time I've thought about asking for narrators. You're more than welcome to give it a try. How would you want to go about posting them? They can be uploaded to my Youtube channel, on which you'd be credited as a narrator, or you could post them somewhere of your own, if you credit myself and /x/ as sources.

The channel, currently consisting of mostly urbex stuff and my own terrible attempts and narration:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnCmb1vpv90EeSX5g7K4UYQ/videos
>>
Bump, that's a good idea.
>>
>>17617915
running a bunch of sites right now. It's not exactly magic if you stay with plain old html.... which i would heavily recommend for this sort of thing. since i believe you want noone to exclude, even not the guys like me in a digital wasteland with 1MBit seens as a damn fast connection and mostly only on mobile ;) you can forget about fancy schmancy script-driven stuff.
grab yourself a copy of bluefish editor (open source) and have yourself a go.
slap a md5 checksum on every archive, helps with validating wich are the "original" ones later (i can haz seen futures lol)
grab yourself a free hosting provider. doesnt matter where in the world it is, 4chan and /x/ are international after all

...and keep the stories in the original format ;)
>>
>>17618250
>https://movnviol2.wordpress.com

The work you do is amazing. Thank you for it.
>>
Bump. Try what this guy says. >>17627973
>>
Me and a buddy have been working on this. We're not high-tier web devs, but we've got this sort of "demo" site going with a lot of the previously collected stuff. If Librarian is interested, we'd love to collaborate on this.

Thoughts?

http://thexarchive.blogspot.com/
>>
>>17629903
This is VERY nice work!
>>
>>17629937

Would you be interested in helping manage the site? Much of it is your hard work after all.
>>
File: (367).jpg (904KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
(367).jpg
904KB, 1600x900px
>>17629979
Absolutely, though it seems that like you've mostly got it covered already. After looking through, my only real criticism is that maybe the master archives should be listed in alphabetical order.

I make backups and catalog changes every Saturday, so I can send you new and updated stories at those times, or add them directly, depending on how this works.

You've made a HUGE improvement to the way this is done. Before updates were delivered only once per year - now it can get done every week. Thank you.
>>
>>17630029

Hey, that sounds like a plan! I like the once-per week flow of things. If you want to make updates yourself, I'll need to give you email permissions as an author/admin. On the other hand, I can set up a message drop/contact forum, and you can leave links for the updates (to mediafire, or however you want to do this,) if you're not comfortable with the email thing.

I'm still trying to figure out how to handle images and all the other content separate from text. I'm thinking an archive.org account hosting the downloads, which could be easily updated. If you want the latest, you just click a button and it'll drop you the latest zip file.

Either way, I'm excited. This is just a really neat project. It's cool to have a hub where anyone can go whenever they want.

Oh yes, and the master archives. I had them in reverse-alphabetical for some reason. I'll correct that post-haste!
>>
I prefer A. Reading greentext in an archival format is just kinda bad. If you're going to make the effort to maintain quality, you ought to go all the way. Though if it's too much, you should ask for help.
>>
>>17621045
There was some anon a while back who was working on a project to archive /x/ threads from before 4plebs starting archiving.
>>
File: (393).png (239KB, 350x439px) Image search: [Google]
(393).png
239KB, 350x439px
>>17630029

Ok, contact thing is set up (on the sidebar). If you want to do the email thing, won't have to worry about getting spammed or whatnot.
>>
I'm thrilled to see that this is actually going places now.

>>17630096
Still disagree. Maybe there could be two separate versions? One of the originals and one of the cleaned up versions?
>>
File: (8).jpg (158KB, 500x667px) Image search: [Google]
(8).jpg
158KB, 500x667px
Right folks, it looks like a vast majority of text is good to go. If you look at the master collections, you'll find all the collected nope stories, and various categories. You can also loot at the array of individual stories.

We've also got downloads to the October 2015 dump, and we're looking into new ways to make this thing more convenient to use. Hopefully we'll have more than just text up on the main page pretty soon here. I'm thinking audio dump?

The link again, for those uninitiated - http://thexarchive.blogspot.com/
>>
>>17632085
Thanks.
>>
Bumping for others to see. This thread needs more attention.
>>
If anyone has questions/suggestions in regards to the site or archives, toss 'em out! Any feedback is great.
>>
>>17634121
Will you be selective with them instead of archiving everything like 4plebs? I feel like some quality control is in order.
>>
>>17634151

Absolutely! I will only be archiving stories myself that are at the very least, "Mildly Interesting." And I'm sure Librarian's process is much the same. I won't be putting up everything I find. If someone finds something they want to suggest, there will be that contact form (and we'll more than likely come up with more ways for people to submit stuff.) If it isn't worth anyone's time, it's not going up.
>>
>>17634194
Good to know, thanks.
>>
Prolly bump this a couple more times for others to see, then let it die if no interest.
>>
>>17617393
Don't you have a link? I'm interested to read a bunch of it.

Anyway, what is your purpouse? You want an archive of everything /x/ related or you want something more organized and clean? Anyway I think there's more charm on an archive than a nice library desu.
>>
>>17635865
If you'd actually read the thread, you'd see the links.
>>
Autism: the Thread.
>>
>>17637299
Autism: The post.
>>
Just for that, bump.
>>
>>17617393
upload ur nope stories
>>
>>17638693
You can't?
>>
>>17617915
Wordpress hosts for free I think. Plus they have a bunch of great free themes. The main problem is content management can get a little wonky.
Livejournal is the easiest imo.
>>
>>17618250
Doing god's work. You might wanna add the categories into the menu bar fyi
>>
>>17640319
>Livejournal

Seriously? I knew they were still clinging to life, but really?
>>
Have another bump
>>
This is very nice!
Thread posts: 59
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.