[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Going to Ireland to visit relatives who live in the assfuck middle

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 12

File: eire.jpg (532KB, 1600x2200px) Image search: [Google]
eire.jpg
532KB, 1600x2200px
Going to Ireland to visit relatives who live in the assfuck middle of nowhere. Any good spooky Irish myths or legends still popular today?
>>
Where abouts OP? A lot of stories from here are the usual ghost shit, never heard anything too unique myself. If you are out in the ass end of nowhere, particularly in the west or down in Kerry, go for walks at night. So damn quiet its unsettling. Try not to let your imagination run wild though.
>>
>>17502957
Yes
>find end of rainbow
>catch that leprechaun
>cut off his balls
>create fire under pot of gold, melt gold until liquid
>crush leprechauns balls in and mix
>stir six times counter clockwise, then six times clockwise
>on final circle create a pentagram while reciting "rolley-polle, rolley-polle, give me the formu-olle"

Be careful though, shit goes hard.
>>
>>17502976
In the North, some place called Moira, apparently it's part of the UK but my relatives say they're Irish regardless.
I was over as a kid and my granda used to tell me the lake near his house-Portmore Lough-was haunted by the spirit of a pilot that crashed there or some shit.

Turns out they removed the plane from the water just a few years ago, but I was hoping for some spooky folklore as opposed to regular shit that just happened to take place in Ireland.
>>
Banshees.
>>
>>17502993
Banshees?
>>
>>17502992
Hey I live near Moira. You may be interested to know that the largest battle in ancient Ireland took place there, and the surrounding fields are full of human remains apparently. Don't get your hopes up though it's a pretty small ugly town.
>>
>>17503144
for reference you can research 'Cath Magh Rath', or the battle of moira

You're well-placed to drive around and see the sites associated with ancient Irish legends by the way, assuming you have a car. If you have specific questions I may be able to answer
>>
>>17502982
I tried that once, little fucker got away
>>
>>17503144
>>17503167
that's pretty cool, thanks anon! The shitheap village they live in is called Ballinderry as it turns out, and there's apparently some old walls and shit from some castle. Sounds like an atmosphere if nothing else.
>>
>>17502957
Aren't the Irish themselves spooky enough?
>>
>>17503263
Absolutely every elderly rural man in Ireland has some sort of story about some horrible creature or encounter they've had when they were hunting/fishing/walking/fighting the british
>>
>moIRA
>>
>>17502957
Watch out for Gypsy's and Leprechauns.
>>
We've had a few fair cattle mutilations the past few years... The banshee is still a popular tale, too!
>>
Ask them if you shoot a leprechaun, do lucky charms explode everywhere?
>>
Someone tell me about banshees. Are there a particular kind of irish ones?
>>
There is no wilderness there. It is a tiny island.
>>
>>17502957
https://www.google.co.uk/?gfe_rd=ssl&ei=7h7zVordONHFaOTkvfAM#q=cooneen%20ghost
>>
>>17502957
I live in the North near Carrickfergus, shit tons of spooky happenings over here. For instance ballyboley forest is a 20 minute drive away and its one of the most haunted forests/places on earth. Also in the town I live in there is this old old bridge made out of stone, the bridge is around 500 years old, the bridge is surrounded by fields and trees on one side and some houses on the other.

The legend goes that apparently some brigand or bandit was trying to escape the town for whatever reason but he got caught and hung from the bridge, now this bridge has about a 20-25ft drop on either side and being pushed off this thing with a noose round your neck is only gonna go one way. So his head got torn from his body like an angry teenage girl tearing apart a stuffed bear, and for whatever reason this bridge is now pretty messed up and apparently at night you can sometimes hear the sound of galloping horse hooves on the cobblestones and a few people have sworn they have seen a man like figure dressed in early 17th century attire.
>>
be from belfast but my gran was from glenarm in county antrim. wealthy family used to stay in glenarm castle alot when she was kids cause of family and stuff. when i was a kid i asked her about any spooky shit that happened in her life and she told me that once her sister used to be a really good violinist and used to practice every day infront of a set of mirrors to make sure she had good posture. and one day when they were staying in the castle for a few nights her sister/my great aunt wanted to practice so she set up her mirrors and played. after about 15 minutes she said she could smell sulfur but ignored it and kept playing then my gran could too and went to check on her and she had stopped playing and apparently in the mirror she saw a dude who she said was the most beautiful man she had ever seen but also terrified her to her core and my great aunt was just standing there violin on the floor scared shitless gran grabbed her arm pulled her out of the room and from that day she never played violin again and wont listen to any either. thought she was talking shit for years but she was a pretty serious woman and rarely joked and looked pretty spooked talking about it so maybe check around glenarm in the north find some spoops
>>
there's a pretty spooky field where they used to bury unbaptised babies just down the road from me. it's pretty creepy, just a flat field with loads of small bumps in it. there's a monument in the centre that was erected by the local council, claims this was a thing going back centuries. None of the creepy fuckers in this backwards town acknowledge it's there, sometimes I get the feeling that the practice was going on a lot more recently than I would like to think.

there's the real /x/ side of Ireland. it's all these creepy little towns full of disturbed and inbred people hiding secrets from outsiders. And not cutesy American leprechaun hidden gold secrets. think more generations of rape and abuse being hidden and repressed through religious fervour. it's like the fucking wickerman around here sometimes.
>>
like lovecraftian fish people but only angrier and shorter
>>
>>17503096
Im not the one who said 'banshees' but i know them, they can be heard screeming or crying before the time of a reletives death, they also caise dogs and cats to go by your house more often crying just before a reletive dies, and there is an old wives tale thats says never to pick up a comb off the street because its a banshees
>>
>>17503298
>Huntin/fishing/walking/fighting the british

brilliant, im from dublin and thats the most irish thing ive ever heard
>>
>>17503305
THIOCFAIDH AR LÁ
>>
Always carry a solid chunk of iron with you, it keeps the fairies away. It doesn't have to be like, literally a chunk of iron, just something made out of pure iron. They can't stand that shit.
>>
>>17503872
Sleep paralysis. In some of /x/ "true" story threads when people post about sleep paralysis, sometimes they mention that the thing sitting on their chest will sometimes scream at them. Haven't been around in years, though, dunno if that type of story is still common.
>>
>>17503854
That's literally any small town if they're isolated enough, even over here in America. Also, yes, that is a practice that used to go on until very recently and I remember reading an article about it, but damn if I can even remember the site I read it on.
>>
Fairy trees are trees stuck in the middle of a field, they look strange, don't go near them.
>>
>>17502957
yeah , never, ever , call Derry "london derry", tiocfiadh ar là.
Also don't be fooled only extremely remote places will be spooky, the rest is highly urbanized.
There's a head buried in Tymon park in Tallaght, Tallaght and Darndale are the most paranormal places in the whole of the country , ask any locals can you find some lepree-Shi-uns (how we pronounce leprechauns), and you'll have a wild time.
>>
>>
>>17502957
>>17503096
Not a frequent /x/ visitor, so I assume there is a negative stigma with this show on this board, but I find it interesting nonetheless.
It's also fucking hilarious.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrU8lGrBbSg
>>
Is Gerry Adams a cryptid?
>>
>>17502957
https://ghostcatcherie.wordpress.com/2009/09/19/wicklow-gaol-the-gates-of-hell-september-2009-2/

I heard you can stay overnight at this haunted jail.
>>
>>17505880
Tallaght is full of scumbags though, he'd get stabbed faster than actually find anything spooky
>>
>>17503352
To be fair the there's definitely some out of the way places on the West Coast/Donegal.

But yeah, nowhere near anything like what you get in Scotland.

T. Hated English oppressor
>>
Creepiest Irish myths are usually around the faeries. Not the cute German ones with wings but Irish faeries are human-sized and are supposed to live alongside us but in another world we can't see.

A sign of faeries are circles (made in the grass or out of mushrooms, natural occurrences). Also they're believed to walk at night (their night is like our day), sometimes with horses and carriages. There's precautions Irish people used to take in order to not piss the faeries off like before you could build a house, you had to make sure it wasn't obstructing a fairy path. Also you're not supposed to go out late at night (especially if you're a young boy or pregnant woman).

Changelings are a big Irish belief. Essentially fairy parents will swap your child with one of theirs in hopes that you will raise it and not notice. I've been told in class that the way to tell if a child is a changeling, you have to set a stick on fire and run towards it, the changeling will leap out the door (I assume loads of kids were convicted of being changelings then!)

A story I was told was of a young woman who had a talent for seeing faeries through one eye. Once, at a fair she spoke to a man and he asked "Can you see me?" and when she replied "Yes" he dug his finger into her eye and pulled it out and said something to the effect of "Well, you won't anymore".

Faeries are supposed to prefer kidnapping boys, so parents used to dress their boys as girls until puberty to protect them. Also pregnant women had to take special precautions like wearing their husband's coat when going out alone was supposed to protect them and putting a walking stick over the crib to protect the baby.
>>
>>17506769
But the most famous type of fairy is the Banshee. In the old days, when someone died at war, a woman would call to the house of the family and cry for them (professional crying was a huge tradition in Ireland, you could hire someone to cry for a dead relative). She does this but instead PREDICTS the death of someone in the house by crying before they die. She's only supposed to cry for people with Irish surnames. I've also been told that if you see a comb, to never pick it up in case it's a Banshee's comb. If you do, she'll come to your house at night knocking on the door for her comb.

I study this shit so if you want more, let me know.
>>
>>17506712
it was a pisstake you dozy bollix.
>>
>>17506773
>more plz
>>17503844
Isn't that just a incubus? They come through mirrors
>>
>>17506908
could be sadly my gran passed away a few weeks back so i never got a chance to dig into it her sisters still kicking might take a wee trip down and see her and ask her about it some more
>>
you might wanna have a look at Leap castle supposed to be one of the most haunted in the world and in ireland much spooks await
>>
It's the centennial of the 1916 Easter Rising this weekend, my grandad was in the G.P.O n my great uncle then, third battalion, it's on his gravestone in glasnevin cemetery.
>>
>>17506712
and where are you from then foxrock with mummy (or are you one of those fucking tards who speak with a faux anerican accent,and say "mommy",a serious bateing with a rough wooden spoon is what you need.) and daddy ?
there are as many bags of scum in dalkey as there are in tallaght, it's irrelevant where someone is from, once they're a decent person, isn't that obvious?
that, and being able to fathom when one is extracting the urine.
>>
>>17503186
because it's RAVIOLI RAVIOLI, not rolley polley, fucking shit.

OP, little people are a real phenomenon, they stay pretty far out in the middle of nowhere. Maybe you could look for some. I know its kinda a joke to most people but a lot of people believe in the wee folk. No idea how to find them, maybe ask around there.
>>
>>17507324
They live underground. The fairy myth started when the Tuatha de Danaan or however you spell it rode into Ireland and drove the previous occupants(the Fomorii) underground with superior iron weapons. There probably was another people living in Ireland before the Celts arrived, and then the myth goes that the tuatha de danaan were driven underground themselves by later invaders. The "wee folk" of today are the descendants of the Celtic gods of yore. I remember reading somewhere that the origin for the word "leprechaun" is a derivative of Lugh Lamfada, or Lugh of the Long Hand, who was a pretty important god. That he's remembered today as a jolly little guy who hides pots of gold at the end of rainbows is kind of fucked, desu, but hey, that's how it goes. Source: I read a book once.
>>
>>17503879
> thats the most irish thing ive ever heard
that's cuz you're living in the pale :^)
>>
>>17507356
BTW this is the book I read http://www.amazon.com/Celtic-Myths-Legends-Peter-Berresford/dp/0786711078
Picked up a copy in high school, been in love with it ever since.
>>
>>17506773
moar!!

if you have books to recommend please tell :3
>>
>>17503348
>a particular kind of irish banshee
Jesus christ child, the term "banshee" comes from the irish language. They invented the lore.
>>
File: Jesus Tree 7.jpg (405KB, 1280x853px) Image search: [Google]
Jesus Tree 7.jpg
405KB, 1280x853px
Louthfag here. Every single backroad has a ghost on it. I have a couple regional folk stories I've heard from older people and ones I dug up from the folklore archive the gov did in the 30s.

A farm laborer named Peter Flynn had spent the evening at his neighbour’s house (this being the countryside, his neighbour probably live a good mile or two away). By the time he left, it was already a dark 10pm, lit only by the moon.

Passing by the local graveyard, he heard the heavy rhythmic footsteps of an entire crowd of people emanating from the darkness ahead. Passing only 50 feet from the headstones, he spotted a procession of ghastly women carrying a coffin behind their leader. Surely soaked in his own piss, Peter looked on as they began to pass him and head towards the graveyard. The leader of the line said “Whose turn is it next?” and the crowd responded in unison: “PETER FLYNN”.

He fell prostrate and made the sign of the cross. The coffin brushed off a blackberry bush and the women vanished, never to be seen of again. Peter carried his arse right on home. The blackberry bush withered and died rapidly after that, with no natural explanation.

-

This story can be found, with a few minor differences, in Spain where it’s known as the Santa Compana. What I find interesting about this version from a rural Irish village in the 30s is that the procession is specified as being entirely made up of women, which brings the Beansidhe/Banshee to mind, and that they seem to be unholy, considering that Peter blessing himself seems to cause them to vanish. It also suggests that the original leader of the Irish ghouls is spectral, whereas the leader of the Spanish lot is mortal, being cursed to lead the pack in a state of somnambulism.

I’m sure the same tale is all over the country, with different local names and twists, but it’s always interesting to hear it from your own turf.
>>
File: tumblr_ndfzxes05X1r49ix5o5_1280.jpg (2MB, 1280x1920px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_ndfzxes05X1r49ix5o5_1280.jpg
2MB, 1280x1920px
>>17508102
Very close to where I live is a place called Barmeath castle. I did a short history documentary on it in college that should come up if you search it on Youtube.

But when I was a teenager, me and my friends used to be freaked out by this road (pic, it's usually much creepier) that ran alongside it (not that you'd ever know there was a castle beyond the trees if you never told). There was an old "witch house" on the road that would scare the shite of us, but you'd go in the show how big your balls were. Eventually we all just manned up and realised we were being a bit childish, that it was just a normal road.

But then, while I was making the documentary and talking to the lord of the castle, I was going over a hand-drawn map to find out what was what on his property...and the road was called "Headless Horseman Lane".

I asked why? He told me this;

Back during the Battle of the Boyne (1690), the men of the castle were all called to arms to fight in the Jacobite/pro-Catholic forces. The men strapped themselves to their olde timey saddles and rode off to the battle in the morning, leaving the women of the castle behind.
All day the women listened out to the distant echoes of canon, shaken and afraid, left bewildered by the lack of news from the frontline. Were the husbands and sons still alive? Which side was winning? Would there be a truce?
Night fell and the dread was as heavy as ever. The silence was deafening. Until, at last, they heard hooves running up this road and into the stables out back. They all ran out, finally relieved to know the result.
But when they reached the barn, all they saw was a frightened horse, with nothing more than the bloody remains of a man's lower body and legs still strapped to the saddle. His top half had been blasted clean off by cannon, the horse left to flee.
They had lost.

....and they say.....you can still hear to sound of the hooves on that road at night....
>>
>>17508116
Is this where the Dullahan legend started, or is it an even older legend?
>>
>>17503865
Don't compare deep ones to the Irish

Deep ones at least have gold
>>
>>17508252
The Dullahan is much older. It also has/had a head in other versions, so the more defining characteristic is it's bone-built carriage and the fact it's an omen of death.
>>
>>17508278
Actually, in Irish mythology, the Fomori are often times described very similarly to Deep Ones. And they have bronze and crystal. Someone above said they were driven underground, but most version have them driven back into the sea during the Mythological Cycle. In the Ulster Cycle, they reappear a few times; once when Cú Chulainn arrives back on shore from training in Scotland were some girl is about to be sacrificed to a couple of them. And again later, in Emer's Only Jealousy when he's invited to do war under the sea in a faerie realm.
>>
>>17504418
The sleep paralysis is very widespread in Russia now. The church even claimed it's the devil taking root in the younger generation, because older people don't get it that much.
>>
>>17508370
Yeah, in most of the myths I've read they say the Fomorii were driven underground, but in some of the other myths they mention them as living under the sea. I know Oisin, he's specifically mentioned as having been under the sea with Niamh, and in a few more it's also mentioned they're under the sea. I can't recall every specific story right now, though. Also, here's a fun fact about Oisin and his Fomorii princess, the story bears a very striking resemblance to that of Urashima Taro. I think the Native Americans had a similar myth to it as well.
>>
>>17506712
I thought all you Brits binned your knives?
>>
>>17505880
>lepree-Shi-uns (how we pronounce leprechauns
No we don't.
>>
>>17508432
>Seriously expecting 100% of the population to throw away every sharp object they own
Also, only North Ireland is British, though I will admit I don't know where Tallaght is.
>>
>>17508463
>North Ireland is British
Don't say this either.
>>
>>17508463
You gave up your guns, its not that far fetched a thought you limey cunt.
>>
If you see a lone tree in the middle of a field (even if it's an old dead one), this is a "fairy tree", and the farmer or landowner is afraid to cut it down because the wee folk live in it. Only in Iceland do fairies have a more tangible effect on the population. There is a great docu on that I'd recommend to everyone on /x/: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gRjatXe5bis
>>
>>17508413
You're thinking about Tir na nÓg. Niamh isn't a Fomorian, but a Tuath de Dana. But yeah, the horse they get on sort of rides through/under the sea into the realm of the ever-young.
In "Emer's Only Jealousy" (which is part of a different cycle of legends), Cú Chulainn tries to chase down a group of magical birds for his wife Emer and the women of Ulster, only to have it revealed that they're supernatural shape shifters, either Tuath de Dana themselves or some other type of faerie/sidhe race (because there are magical, subterranean races even before the Tuath arrive in Ireland). The leader of the birds, Fand, is wife of the god of the sea. Long story short, they bargain with Cú Chulainn to fight a war for them, the opposing side being a remnant of the Fomori.
During the war, Cú Chulainn cheats on Emer with Fand and there's soap-opera levels of drama, ultimately resulting in Fand giving up on Cú Chulainn and wiping his and Emer's memories with a potion.

The description of the Otherworld/Underworld/Faerie Realm in Celtic mythology blurs the line between it being a physical place literally hidden under the hills or oceans, and it being a sort of alternate dimension. Kind of like how we tend to view Hell today. It's more like you make a procession underground/underwater/through the brush and that's what transports you to the otherworld.
>>
>>17508502
Also, the God of the sea, Manannán mac Lir, may be both Fomori and Tuath de Dana. A lot of the gods and important figures in the mythological cycle are mixed-race like that, the biggest example being Lugh who had a Fomori mother and a Tuath father. Cú Chulainn in turn, who is likely is son, had a human mother.

So he's a total Mary Sue with all of the superpowers.
>>
>>17506908
>>17507569

Most of them are in Irish but there's "The Virtual Reality of Irish Fairy Legend" by Angela Bourke (famous Irish author, great book) and "The Good People" by Peter Narvaez in english.

Here's some videos about creepy things happening in a shopping centre in Dublin city. The centre was built on the site of a previous hospital and apparently tombstones were disturbed.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOxDH-4aEFk
http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/82480/Apples_In_The_Jervis/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lApdU8gf7nk

Also Tallaght, as mentioned above in the thread, is a modern word for its older Irish name which meant "plague pit", suggesting it was built on a mass grave. People have told me that there's all kinds of sightings of orbs at night and giant black dogs with glowing red eyes just casually roaming quiet roads. Not to mention it's near the Hellfire club which supposedly hosted a lot of satanic activity, but honestly I think it's just because it was built far from everyone else on a mountain and anyone who dares not to take part in Irish society in small towns is generally considered insane. It's a nice little walk during the day.

Irish people are also extremely superstitious. The first of anything made was considered dirty, and had to be offered to the faeries (for example the first few drops of milk or poitín) as a good relationship with the faeries was crucial. If something bad happened, it's because you pissed off the faeries. Before Christianity, this was people's way of explaining why bad things happen and people pretty much had the same relationship with these unseen people that most people have with Gods now.
>>
>>17509519
There's something absolutely terrifying about rural Ireland at night. I live in the city and there's always street lamps on or houses lit. But out in the country it's pitch black, you probably can't see your neighbours. It's eerily silent. Every now and then you hear foxes screaming too.
>>
>>17509538
where do you live?
most urban places have foxes, city foxes, they live in parks or places like that, I live Dublin south central (2,4,6,8,12), & there's a valley park near and you often hear foxes calling out. recently there was a pregnant vixen out in the road, crying out, and yeah she really sounded eerie as fuck, this strange ululation coming from outside, can understand how years ago people would think it was spirits , and in the pitch dark, that would scare the living shite outta ya .
>>
>>17502957
Very little of Ireland isn't haunted. Dublin was a bit too noisy in some places, but Sligo? Killarney? Knock? You could damn near feel spirits blowing on your neck. And don't you fuckin' think of leaving Ireland without visiting the Aran Islands. That place seriously looks like Majula, but even more dreadful.
>>
>>17512336
you're the reason we hate tourists, tourists like you, fucking tests who walk around saying "oh gosh, golly, gee, oh my goodness would you look at that!", with a map in one hand in the middle of the city centre wearing hiking boots, white socks, and khaki clothing circa 1990, and a camera around what is commonly known as this thing called a neck, not a layer of blubber, looking from leprechauns and complaining they dint have your mc fuck favourites on the mc cunting menu, to say manila is like Aran is like saying wal-mart is like macy's , that should be a basic enough comparison comprehension for you .
stay at home in whatever shit hole box of a "state", you come from if you have that ideology, cos it won't matter if you travel to mars, your mind set is so shrivelled that you won't be able to fathom anything... other than the confines of a gaming chair and a bag of crisps next to you.

of course if you have an open mind and aren't a bloody idiot, we welcome you, we like diversity and forward thinking . not people who think of us as something from a 1950's hollywood film set. but people with an actual mind of their own, and don't be an eyesore, no hiking boots, we are a nation that likes art, remember.not a superstitious cult who thatch roofs , just like not all americans are selfish,stupid , fat arseholes, we aren't all drunk potato farmers remember that and you'll be fine .
>>
>>17512394
You're from Northern Ireland, aren't you?
>>
>>17512394
This entire post is why I hate the Irish and only confirms my beliefs that this country really is the buttmonkey of Europe. Irish nationalism is the biggest joke in history.

You have no reason to be proud of anything being Irish, you have no reason to love your country or non-existent culture or dead language they force on kids in schools. Your entire mythology is based invasion and colonization. Your entire cultural mindset is based upon one big fat victim complex, do you can blame all your problems on someone else. Get off your fucking high horse and take a look at the joke you live in. No one likes the Irish, people like the stereotype. The real Irish are xenophobic, ignorant, haughty and shit. I thank my lucky stars every day I'm not full Irish.

>we like diversity and forward thinking

I've lived here all my life and that's the biggest fucking lie I have ever read.
>>
>>17512394
sounds like a drunken potatoe farmer's ramble ya cheeky cunt
>>
>>17512394
Ironic too since I spent two months touring Ireland and visiting every town from Swords to Galway and everywhere in between, and not once did I meet some shitcock local that hates tourists. Granted, I also dressed like an adult instead of the fat scout from UP like every other Amerifat does, but even then I didn't run into some try-hard native cunt like you trying too hard to make Ireland look good. It's already good, faggot. It's fantastic. But cunts like you don't belong there.
>>
>>17510415
I'm from north dublin. Hadn't really heard a fox up until last year maybe when I was staying at a friends. They come to kill his chickens and I was ready to call the police before I realised what it was...
>>
>>17512451
Fucking leave then you nasty, lazy scum.
>>
>>17512451
Is that you Wully?
>>
File: IMG_20141011_084031421.jpg (979KB, 2592x1456px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20141011_084031421.jpg
979KB, 2592x1456px
I come from a farming background. One of our fields has an ancient fort in it, it is outlined by a ring of trees. I remember going past it late at night at hearing screaming. I couldn't quite figure out where it was coming from, almost like underground. It's very hard to get relatives to speak about it, it's strictly forbidden to mention. One of the fields has a boundary where there is small "fairy" tree about 8 foot tall, these trees were never to be touched. Everyone gave a strong warning not to remove it. My uncle decided to rip it out to repair a fence, he died a year later of aggressive cancer. My grandmother said he disturbed the fairies that inhabit these trees, she said this happened many times before but that younger people don't believe her. No matter where u go in rural Ireland u find creepy stories. I live about 400m away from an old cottage where an old woman died in the 60s. Everytime I enter I feel like a huge sense of dread/ negativity.
>>
>>17502957
dude stay out of europe. If your in the usa even obama said its a good idea, to stay here do not go abroad.
>>
>>17502957
Lots of myths in ireland.
Headless horsemen run wild there
>>
>>17503352
>I'm going to comment on something I know nothing about

This country is mostly countryside.
>>
>>17502982
>Rav-ioli rav-ioli
you cuck
>>
>>17512394
What the fuck are you on? How fucking presumptuous do you have to be to get all that from a post that says "Ireland is haunted and dramatic". Because it fucking is.

I don't like those kinds of American tourists either. The real entitled ones who get mad when everything doesn't cater to them. But the ones who are genuinely awe-struck by the island are great. They ask you questions that you never bothered to consider or notice the natural fucking beauty you stopped noticing because you're always surrounded by it. If you want to complain about somewhere being culturally bankrupt and unappreciative, I'd say our own population is as ignorant as anyone.

>>17512451
Sorta agree, sorta don't. Ireland is RICH in culture, albeit one that was damaged and left largely unrecoverable. But we dwell too much on the laments and woes of the colonisations and post-Cromwell oppression.
I love Irish mythology because it's full of fucking bravado and balls. There's tragedy too, of course, but there's comedy and love and excitement. We need more of that and we need to move beyond Catholic sensibility and so on. And, in all fairness, we've taken huge strides in the last 10 years alone as a country that had condoms still be illegal until the 80s. We're getting there.
>>
>>17512451
Everyone's entitled to an opinion, but my God that's so much salt I had a coronary. I can agree with some of what you said, but before the last 100 years or so our culture was very rich. The 20th century ultimately finished us after emperial rule and now this globalisation shit from America has ruined the newer generations.
>>
File: IMG_7058.jpg (2MB, 2289x1500px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7058.jpg
2MB, 2289x1500px
>>17515389
>>17512394
Also, he said Majula, not Manilla. Majula is the main town in Dark Souls II, populated by Irish voiced characters and actually does look like the cliffs of Moher. So there!

Anyway, back on topic before the thread dies in piss and vinegar; how many of my fellow Irishfags have ever dug into their own town's history and folklore?
I personally, living in a part of Louth that was once a quaint little village, turned into something much more urban and anonymous by the motorway and the Dublin commute, grew up with very little exposure to that folkic side that the older people just take as a given. This is all despite living beside a Ceilé House too. Somehow, I've managed to be totally missed by the really folk, magical, superstitious side of Ireland despite being a lifelong /x/phile who LOVES all of that stuff.

And I wonder why that is, and if the rest of you ever had the same experience? I can understand not knowing some super obscure urban legend in your town, especially if you live somewhere urban and constantly shifting. But small towns deeply ingrain that stuff in their traditions. Like, this town has Brigid's crosses all over it, a full corpus of remedies and ghost stories, those certain trees in fields the farmers won't go near, etc etc, yet it's only now in my 20s that I've noticed.

Is it just me?
>>
File: 1443408893657.jpg (122KB, 780x620px) Image search: [Google]
1443408893657.jpg
122KB, 780x620px
>>17503263
>>
>>17506868
>>17507105
Got'em, I'm actually from Tallaght haha just a prank bro
>>
lesson to learn dont bring up irish spooks.....just becomes some /pol/ shit
>>
>>17516641
not by us, there was one Irish person or maybe someone living here , tourists are fine with me, I don't mind where someone comes from once they're a decent person,is all that matters to me anyhoo.
>>
>>17516575
that was my joke I was only messing with them n they took it to seriously,me hoop.
what part of Tallaght, a mate lives in Kilinarden, does tattoos, got a deadly one. I live in Cherry Orchard.
>>
So, when can we organize an /x/ meetup to go explore spoopy castles and shit
>>
>>17502957
I live in the middle of nowhere. There's a house up from us and every day and night it is pitch black. It has been overgrown for many years with ivy and other weeds, and the garden has also fallen into disrepair. In the front window can be seen what looks like a voodoo doll. The man who lived there many years ago, people refuse to say much about him, but my father once told me never to pick him up if he was hitchhiking.

There are other stories too. Horse hooves and cartwheels can sometimes be heard at night, even though such a mode of transport hasn't been used here in around 100 years. I've seen floodlights in the distance that to this day remain untraceable.

A healer lived near us years ago, and we were brought to her as children and given a protective drink.I don't know if it had any effect at all, but she cured many ailments. She had very extensive knowledge of the healing properties of local flora.
>>
>>17516978
I'd be down for this
>>
My gf is Irish.
Yeah, Ireland and their people (the Irish) kiinda suck.
>>
>>17518336
Your gf isn't irish, she's american.
>>
>>17516961
I live pretty close to the square haha
>>
>>17503854
nice post/ I have always thought that a true detective s1 style show based in Ireland would have potential to be amazing
>>
>>17512451
How old were you when they told you that you had autism?
>>
>>17502957
There's no point asking about Ireland on 4chan.
>>
Everyone knows that Ireland doesn't exist dumbasses
>>
>>17502957
yeah loads of great spooky places.

Talk to old people: they'll often have stories about things like banshees and what not (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Banshee)
>>
>>17519951
couple of other things to look into:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fairy_fort
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolmen
>>
File: banshee-2.jpg (109KB, 400x243px) Image search: [Google]
banshee-2.jpg
109KB, 400x243px
There is a spirit in Irish mythology called a Banshee. It's a female spirit that makes a loud screeching noise.
>>
>>17520155
in America we call that Iggy Azalea
>>
>>17520159
That is exactly right.
>>
>>17514936
>>17516218

This is a bit of topic, but these two images are fantastic. Since an image search found nothing I'm assuming you guys took them yourselves? I like to make big drawings of landscapes and I'm always looking for stuff to work with. Would you mind if I used them as a reference?
>>
>>17520869
Go ahead buddy!
Don't forget to credit when appropriate.
>>
>>17520155
thats crazy
>>
>People who have literally never heard of a banshee before
Do you live under a rock or something?
>>
>>17520155
thats crazy
>>
File: image.png (244KB, 500x500px) Image search: [Google]
image.png
244KB, 500x500px
Does anyone have any good book recommendations for an introduction to the mythology of Ireland?

I'm developing a project at the moment which has a lot of /x/ type stuff in it and the lead protagonist is a school girl that has a banshee as her spirit guide, so it would be good for that, but I want it to just read for fun too.
Pic related is the characters.
>>
>>17523797
I have a copy of Celtic Myths and Legends by Peter Berresford Ellis. It's what introduced me to Celtic mythology as a whole. It has a section on every Celtic culture, not just Ireland, though.
>>
File: the_morrigan_by_indigodesigns.jpg (404KB, 719x687px) Image search: [Google]
the_morrigan_by_indigodesigns.jpg
404KB, 719x687px
>>17523797
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hh_n2L27M2w

Read The Tain.

Wherein they fight for prized bulls. But it got curses, weird godesses and a guy that's basically an irish super sayian that has 7 fingers and 7 toes and 7 coloured rings in his iris. When he gets mad turns into a a weirdo with a giant eye and a huge ass mouth.
>>
>>17521096
Will do, thanks!
>>
>>17523868
Thanks for the suggestion! That sounds great, I'll check it out.

>>17523869

Sounds interesting, I'll check it out !
>>
>>17502957
Try not to bump into any LANGERS.
>>
>>17508337

It's supposed to carry its head in one hand, or have it sitting on the saddle/seat next to it.

And if it sees you, you're right fooked.
>>
>>17512453

Aye, laddie. An Oirishman! Drunk! I never thought I'd see the day, bless my potato.
>>
>>17506773
holy shit, I literally saw a comb on the floor next to my car when I left work today. I didn't pick it up (because who the fuck picks up a random cone) but I'm still a bit spooked
>>
>>17502957

About to call it a night, but I've got plenty for you. What part are you visiting? I'll check in with local lore tomorrow.
>>
>>17507373

> Owned the jackeen.

Good on you, boyo!
>>
File: Attack-of-the-Killer-Tomatoes.jpg (3MB, 1662x2528px) Image search: [Google]
Attack-of-the-Killer-Tomatoes.jpg
3MB, 1662x2528px
Hi their. I'm South African. And my Father(Irish) once told me a story about the killer potatoes. That that was the truth about the famine. And that the Irish would rather be know to starve to death then be eaten by their own harvest.
Apparently this movie was based on that
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Attack_of_the_Killer_Tomatoes
>>
>>17502957
If someone you know is going to die you will see an old grey skinned toothless lady sitting on a wall or anywhere really look back at you while brushing her hair.
Nothing will happen, its just a warning.
It's a banshee
>>
One of the cool things about here is that there is lots of ancient shit lying around the place that you're able to walk to and look at for free, no barriers or even signs to tell you what they are. Lots of cool ruins of big old castles scattering the countryside. For example, there is a 2000 year old portal in the middle of a housing estate about 10 minutes from where I live. This site has some good resources for finding this kind've stuff but I doubt it's exhaustive.
http://www.megalithicireland.com/index.html
>>
>>17503884
Plastic paddies pls go, this is an Irishmans country.
>>
Meant to say portal tomb, not portal. And I just checked and apparently it's actually four and a half thousand years old! Pretty crazy.
>>
>>17524479
this is a reply to
>>17524473

I'm not having a great night am I.
>>
>>17505880
>calling it either
It's still a hiberno-English name.
>>17506673
No, but he is a scumbag.
>>17506769
If you ever see a circle of trees (usually with bushes surrounding them as well) that is a possible entrance to the home of faeries.
I used to live in Adare and there was one near me, but I was too much of a pussy to go in (and it's kinda disrespectful)
>>
Some say the devil is dead and buried in killarney, more said he rose again and joined the British army
>>
>>17524115
Gowls are worse.
>>
>>17520155
Thats crazy
>>
>>17503703
I like less than 10 miles from Ballyboley and never heard that claim about it being most hunted etc.. there's that forest in Japan where they all commit suicide.. that's likely the most.
Calling this out as BOOOOOLLLLsheeet
>>
Stay in the 'hunted' room in Ballygally (between Gelnarm and Larne) It's been on several Ghost hunter tv type shows... scare ya shitless ya big wank.
>>
>>17524475
Euro sellouts you mean
>>
>>17512451
YOU are a fucking faggot and Brian Boru would shit down your throat
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 12

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.