[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Introduction to (authentic) Yoga

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 138
Thread images: 9

File: LM_Mark.jpg (551KB, 675x829px) Image search: [Google]
LM_Mark.jpg
551KB, 675x829px
Hello gentle denizens of /x/! I come bearing a gift. I put together a crash course style intro to the core teachings of Yoga. I have a feeling people browsing /x/ will appreciate the information.

Most of what I've gather isn't online anywhere (besides places that I've shared it), so take a look!

traditionalkriyayoga.com/about
>>
File: 1429730723492.png (252KB, 500x684px) Image search: [Google]
1429730723492.png
252KB, 500x684px
Thanks, OP.
>>
Always looked for good yoga stuff online but everyone usually wants monies. Tyvm op
>>
My life's work is teaching true Yoga to others (beyond the stretching, meditation, and breath control), and I don't have any thoughts of monetary gain for what I do. I'm rewarded handsomely in other ways!
>>
>>17186470
Duck your deities
>>
>>17186490
You've got me all wrong friend, I don't endorse "deities". Divinity itself, yes.
>>
>>17186470
Where does your wife teach?
>>
>>17187508
No wife!
>>
>>17186431
Hara Hara Mahadev!

Ive read the book, truly great material. May swamiji rot in hell!
>>
New meat video. Glitched as always.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dt5nZeGXBXU
>>
>>17187787

Good times..
>>
But what is the password for the teachings?
>>
>>17187880
I'm only doing one on one teaching for now, today I'm going to start putting some videos and other material together today.

There's nothing behind the password wall for now, but It's all a work in progress.
>>
Can't you fix your eyesight with yoga?
>>
>>17187814
ooh i assumed you posted a link to Vijnana bhairava tantra : a manual to self realization by swamiji.

how long have you been practicing yoga? are you a shaiva?
>>
File: 1451061736647.gif (2MB, 320x240px) Image search: [Google]
1451061736647.gif
2MB, 320x240px
>>17186431
Thank you OP.
I started with Yoga a month ago.
>>
It seems like there always has to be a guru involved, is there any way to learn this on your own?
>>
>>17189540
Not OP, but it is very difficult to get into it on your own entirely. There are texts giving you proper instructions, but these originate from oral tradition, master-pupil dialogue, and when it comes to proper posture they are sometimes hard to follow.. I suggest you read the Yoga Sutra by Patanjali, it might give you an impression of what I'm trying to say. Those texts, like Upanishads, are difficult to get into without the actual experience of the practice and its effects first hand, but they are helping you advance and teach you a lot when you find entrance to them.
So n short, in the case of yoga, you might need a teacher, at least to get started/initiated.
>>
>>17186431

tl;dr: tat tvam asi. atman=Brahman.
>>
>>17186431
Do you know about Graham Hancocks works? Was shiva a real person? This dude on youtube Sadhguru says he was a real person that taught 7 dudes "saptarishis" yoga. Graham Hancock talks about how older civilizations in sumeria, egypt, south america all talks about 7 sages that gave dudes knowledge. Do you think they built all the pyramids and shit and can I become super sayian with yoga?
>>
>>17186431
Hey OP, thanks for the input. This arrives at the right time.
I have also been reminiscing about Kabir and his work in the past few weeks and was pleasantly surprised at the mentioning of him.

I have come in contact with krija yoga in the last year via Yogananda's autobiography and it corresponded a lot with me and the Yoga I have learned and practiced for the past 4 years now which is also a more traditional branch than you find in most places in the cities. Your krija seems to center more on breath/prana than what I have practiced so far, which I find attractive at the point I am.
However, I don't really enjoy the fact that your website, as the book by Yogananda for that matter, reads like a brochure for your (private) school and it does so relatively indirectly.
I am aware of the problem- not to say impossibility- of learning Yoga without a Master. However, you should take your time to make this situation and your point on this more transparent on your sight to the readers (especially to those who are new to yoga). You should do this because this is not a minor thing and could for many be a problematic issue, since it is also an entrance into cults and cultism.
So you might want to add a section on gurutwam and your tradition's point on it.

That said, I also appreciate your elaborations on Karma Yoga. I will reread the Gita in that aspect (rereading it now).
Can you recommend a specific translation of it (Bhagavad Gita)? Thanks in advance.
>>
>>17186431
>>17191985
PS. You also might want to go over your text on the site and check for spelling once more, there were a few mistakes I noticed. No hard feelings though.
>>
>>17191985
>sight
*site
:^)
>>
just a reminder that you cannot attain yoga/enlightenment through books alone, or gurus that want your money, or newage practices. newage books should be trashed and if you don't know classical sanskrit and understand secret tantrik terms well you're lost, the author's translation isn't going to be very exact. plus ancient yogis didn't include all important techniques and there's many premliminary methods to do before techniques describe in those sastras.

you might as well practice karma yoga and be devoted to god and accept that you won't reach it in your current lifetime. roleplaying or being a total newagetard isn't going to get you anywhere, unless you love living in a fantasy. some teachers i know of who have attained some siddhi do not accept westerners and if you can't make time for meditation for more than 5 hours a day you're still at a lost, 20-30 mins isn't going to cut it.
>>
>>17192201
any teacher who does not accept westerners is not a true tantrika. in tantra there are no divisions, its an advaita tradition, nondual. if there is no duality, how can a tantrik make the duality between westerner and indian and still call himself a tantrik?

books arent enough, 20mins isnt enough, newage shit is to be discarded. but with bhakti to the books and intense practice moksha is possible. you can achieve yoga without guru, its just infinitely more difficult.
i suggest doing as i did - go to india an find a guru. learn from him and be open with him - you wont live in india forever. you wish to practice and spread the tradition in your part of the world. if he ttruly is guru he will accept you. if not, then he is not a guru
>>
>>17192201
>attain yoga
>>
>>17192268

>attain yogurt
>>
>>17192254

as long as you're inprisoned by your mind and senses you'll never be free. good deeds lead to good karma which will bring you torwards what you're seeking, it all depends on the persons karma at the end of the day.

it doesnt matter if you're part of the krishna fanclub, or jesus fanclub, those idols will never set you free. its your mind that keeps you in bondage and only by controlling it you'll get free, this is the original yoga, wheres the yogi's mind becomes completely one pointed, still, and free.

sorry to tell you bro, but what've you heard of as all yogis being in orange robes being peaceloving and caring for all is only a lie that is sold to the West as with this new false yogas. the only yogis i see in orange robes opening themselves up, are only liberating the westerner's wallets. the real yoga is very closed stuff.

thing is alot of westerners aren't serious, they arent willing to go all out. alot of them dont take this serious at all, just look, for example, this stuff is being discussed on this website. what a total joke this is, it's seen as "entertainment", people try to identify themselves with it. look guys at this "mysterious hindu stuff", "pretty cool stuff!". this is completely wrong. go on with your comfy western life and see it as entertainment and act like some internet yogi or bhakta.

but dont blame accomplished people who have suffered in life who have meditated for years in solitude for not opening their teachings to people like on this board or general western people seeking to make their "lives" better or seeing it as "occult" and not break free from the cycle of birth and death, this stuff is no joke, the majority of westerners aren't serious enough, most westerners are only trying to gain something from this. only those who have given up everything and are serious and are completely selfeless in life will eventually reach the real stuff, maybe not in their current lifetime.
>>
>>17187508
>>17187768
lol you're off nigga!
>>
>>17192492
Hello. While I agree with a lot of what you say here, I must say that you are not really above all this.
You chose to post here as well, so at least someone asked the right questions.
Also, I don't know if you can so simply dismiss people posting here who show they possess actual knowledge of the Vedas. Knowledge talks. Sometimes even in unexpected places. And again, you are also here.
>>
File: mpsu9.gif (178KB, 764x511px) Image search: [Google]
mpsu9.gif
178KB, 764x511px
>>17192492
Krishna and Jesus aren't the ones imprisoning you.

Simply, if you want to get rid off the influence of Jesus and God in your life, they will give you all kinds of opportunities to deny them because that is your goal.

Jesus says "Take my yoke"
>Yoga means to unite, or to yoke
"Stay close to my Yoga"

Because Yoga is about ceasing the fluctuations of the mind to return the original Spirit Soul back to God.
>>
File: krishna_govinda.jpg (173KB, 577x750px) Image search: [Google]
krishna_govinda.jpg
173KB, 577x750px
>>17192802
>>17192802
-from Bhagavad Gita

>I am the source of all spiritual and material worlds. Everything emanates from Me. The wise who know this perfectly engage in My devotional service and worship Me with all their hearts. Arjuna said: You are the Supreme Brahman, the ultimate, the supreme abode and purifier, the Absolute Truth and the eternal divine person. You are the primal God, transcendental and original, and You are the unborn and all-pervading beauty.

If you worship God, He should be Supreme in all aspects, totally opulent, and all of reality is but a small aspect of His effulgence.

>Everyone who desires to be free from all anxieties should always hear about, glorify and remember the Personality of Godhead, who is the supreme director of everything, the extinguisher of all difficulties, and the Supersoul of all living entities." (SB 2.1.5)

The main cause of surrender unto God is the understand of the flawed material cycles, why they cause suffering, and how to bring the original source of soul within ourselves back to God.
>>
Sorry everyone, I was away from my laptop! I'll try to respond to your comments asap
>>
A routine suggestion?
>>
I'm all in on yoga tantra. Been practicing for years now.

I would teach others but that's too much of a commitment for both myself and the student.

Firstly, I get to practice without distraction and move towards eliminating attachment, to the point where I would be in a far superior position to help others than I am currently. Secondly, I have yet to encounter a seeker who is willing to put in the hard work necessary to make substantial progress. Generally, most are only interested in quick fixes, which is ultimately a waste of time for everyone involved.
>>
>>17192924
If you're from France i will be your student senpai
>>
>>17192943
No I'm not, but you'll be fine if you're sincere about doing whatever it takes to make real, non-delusional progress. A teacher or guru can guide you to an extent, but he can't give you the hunger to become a relentless and heated practitoner. It takes incredible resolve to stay on the path and follow through more than anything else. Most people don't realize this and think theres a "magical trick" they can be spoon fed. So long as you work for a higher purpose in this way, anything not conducive to your practice/lifestyle will fall by the wayside, and that includes false teachings and gurus.
>>
>>17192996

Thanks, how do you think i should start ? Which books do you recommend and any tips you can share ?
>>
>>17189341
I see! I've been practicing in the Yogic way for around 10 years, but before that I practiced in the Zen tradition as well as learned some things from my native traditions, as well as shamanism and western esotericism.

I don't really identify myself as being a member of any sect or group like that.
>>
>>17189540
This is going to be part of the subject of a little video I'm going to put together (maybe today). The concept of Guru, and the role of a teacher is always a big topic of debate.

Its not impossible to learn completely independent of a teacher, its just really difficult. Then there's the question of where you get your information from, there's a lot of pitfalls that you could avoid if you knew someone who's followed the path right to the destination, and knows what to expect along the way.
>>
>>17193016
In my experience, fundamentals are everything. Most practitioners go, "yeah I know", gloss over them, then move on to more involved concepts to satisfy their curiosity. This is a common and giant mistake. Learning about the fundamentals conceptually is one thing, and focusing on them to the point where you embody them and make them your default "programming" is another. At this stage, you cannot be mindful all of the time, actually, most of the time in day-to-day life, you're going to be reacting unconsciously to things. When it comes to elminating karma, having a perfect reflex, or subconscious response to challenging situations is immensely important.

This is also why teachers or gurus often take in new students and make them do menial chores that drives them mad for many years before they start to "teach" them. When you develop that perfect karma-extinguishing reflex, then you can really begin. Also think of this as becoming a container or vessel that will not leak when filled up. You will be able to grasp, experience, and retain higher teachings that only exist as mere concepts to those who neglect the fundamentals and bury their head in books.

As for books, I would generally stick with material from traditional lineages, but do not get too caught up and invested in them. They can just as easily become a detriment to growth rather than serving as a supplementary resource.
>>
>>17193110
I'm thinking about building a routine and sticking to it for a year or so, where can i learn about the fundamentals?

And how can i develope this karma extinguishing reflex ?
>>
>>17192201
TL;DR
>i dont wanna do the work so its impossible
>>
>>17193135
If you want to learn fundamentals about managing karma, then look into traditions which are focused on liberation from karma and attachment. For example, in the Raja Yoga tradition, there are the Yamas and Niyamas. In Buddhism, there are Buddha's traditional teachings, and in Tibetan Buddhism, there is Ngondro. But, if you really want to boil it down, I find it all traces back to the Golden Rule.. follow that to a T and you're on the track.

As for developing the ability to react to things in a karma-extinguishing manner, the only way to acquire that is through constant and diligent practice, not book reading. Thats why I mentioned the resolve to practice is so important. This resolve (also known as "heart" or higher purpose) is what keeps you going when you're suffering difficulties and nothing is going your way. It makes you resilient and stable so you don't stall out. When you stall out, it is much harder to get back up to speed (this is why its said liberation takes countless lifetimes). Such qualities are absolutely necessary when undertaking a long-term objective, so they need to be valued as such and must not be neglected in any way. Thats fundamenals in a nutshell.
>>
>>17190971
I'm not really well versed in his research, but I've seen him speak and present things a few times. In Yogic teachings, the term Shiva doesn't refer to a person, but a state. The still centre point of the absolute, as apposed to the dynamism of "Shakti" or the creative, phenomenal aspect of the divine. The conception of Shiva as a "god" is a simplification of the information realized through Sadhana (practice).

As for a historical shiva who taught 7 sages, that's more tricky. I'm not an expert on all the scriptures that are out there. I will say that my gut instinct tells me that the myth of the 7 sages is a reference to the 7 chakras, and the role they play in liberation. Shiva is also known to be the personification of the guru principle, the entity that transmits divine knowledge to humans through our physical/subtle/causal bodies.

Some people claim that the techniques and knowledge that Yoga deals with has been known to all advanced cultures throughout time, so hearing about 7 sages who bestow knowledge would make sense, and would be a good analogy for the "spiritual mechanism" of Yoga.

Pyramids? Not too sure. Super sayian? You attain much more that that through Yoga.
>>
>>17189323
Improvement in eyesight could be seen through practice, there are some techniques I've come across for improving sight, but I don't have first hand experience with them.
>>
>>17191985
Thank you for you reply!

I apologize if my site come across that way, it was not my intention. I do not have a private school, or even a public school. My tradition is the yogic tradition itself, I'm only one person, sharing what I've been given. I may be indirectly "promoting" what I teach, but I really can't help that. I feel like it's important, and

I'll re-read some sections of my site for mistakes, I thought I was pretty careful lol but thanks for letting me know.

I'll definitely be putting out some materials on the subjects you mentioned (Guru, the role of a teacher, etc..), it is a very important thing to clarify. This whole process is in its beginning stages, so there's tons of things I haven't covered yet.
>>
>>17191985
Oh, and for modern translations, the one done by Eknath Easwaran is very good. Georg Feuerstein has a decent translation as well.

For commentary, I would highly recommend Lahiri Mahasaya's, which can be read for free here: http://yoganiketan.net/library/category/scriptural-commentaries.html
>>
>>17192844
This will be coming soon! I'll most likely put together short videos that have a basic asana routine, as well as preliminary pranayama and meditation just so people have something to start with.

As always though, if you get in touch with me I can recommend things quicker.
>>
>>17193268
I when to your site
Tl,Dr
I am interested more in the nuts and bolts of this I understand practice is 95% of the work
And I am not interested in learning a lot of Indian words
And how to siddhi, that seems to be cool.
>>
>>17192492
You are the problem. You are the one creating veils.
The road to moksha is with no roadblocks. Most westerners wont go all out, that doesnt mean that all of them dont go all out.
>>
>>17192782

im not a yogi, neither are these people, neither are the newage gurus or the ones that want money. it makes me cringe seeing this stuff on here, as it's taking as some kind of entertainment or roleplay.

>>17192802

you missed the entire point.

>>17193405

keep roleplaying
>>
>>17192492
This is the man I accept as siksha guru; he has the highest understanding of Absolute Truth of any person I've ever met. He has gone through what you describe, and he chose bhakti as his path. I prefer his proscribed path and ultimate goal over yours, and see him as a practical example of what he says. I will follow him.

http://www.radhanathswami.com/about/

Bhakti yogis are some of the most erudite scholars of the Vedas. This hasn't changed with the extension of the knowledge to the West, though I agree simply through cultural definition an average Western devotee will have less knowledge. This is no hindrance to devotion.

Bhakti yogis sacrifice as much if not more than any other system, removing even the distinction of solitude and exception. Anyone can be a bhakti yogi. There truly is no telling a devout bhakti from one on the beginning of the path and just going through the motions. But I dare you to look at Vishnujan Swami and tell me he didn't sacrifice EVERYTHING into the fire of his love for Krishna and Guru.

You complain of the joke that's on this website, but any glance, any effort to create the names of God, any spark of awareness toward the Supreme, no matter how small, is an eternal start back to Godhead.

You want to call this roleplaying, but I've never made pretense of who I am. I'm a small part of the infinite the same as every other lifeform in existence, and maybe someday I'll actually realize that. But right now I'm a body leading a simple sudra's life with nothing but tamasic qualities who's trying desperately to take something I naturally do and turn it into a way to think about something spiritual. And right now I'm seeing you berate people for trying, no matter the reason, because you have deeper understanding. And I'm wondering why someone with deeper understanding would feel the need to kick someone they thought was beneath them.
>>
But hey, I'm just a roleplayer trying to remember Krishna at the time of death, so I wish you the best and hope to God you bless me with the chance to continue my devotion in my next life.
>>
>>17194083
Alright so here's the thing, I got initiated into a basic yogic practice which roots entirely on old traditional concepts/systematics. My teacher was a person that spent 25 years in two different ashrams in India™ and has founded several Ashrams in Europe by what I read. I have since then practiced a daily set of exercises (two to three hours of asana and another 1/2h of meditation) for two years and shifted my practice and interest -on my own- (and in accord with what scripture tells me) to studying Vedic text and learning basic sanskrit. I have so far extensively read various of the Puranas and the Bhagavad Gita as well as texts from 'modern' Yogis (don't worry, some of them are also from India™) and am experimenting/evolving my practice (I still practice a daily of at least 1 hour).
I came here to post and exchange on some subjects, under the personal premise that I will not post things that are not what I hold authoritatively correct and only answer to people who display insight into what I consider Veda Yoga.
What does that make me?

You are also aware that you don't have to have been to the Himalaya™ to be a Yogi, right?
>>
>>17195504
Orange robe detected.

I'm not even the guy you replied to, but he has more than a valid point considering half of the bhakti movement. I find the exported practice mostly a perversifying practice on the Source material which is (due to lack of yogic principle) mixing with Western preconceptions instead of leading them towards the Vedas. Your tradition may say that that's fine and you're basically cutting out the 'middleman', but to me where bhakti yoga is not put on top of year long hatha and karma or samadi yoga, it's frankly a scam to attract those unwilling to provide real effort in terms of practice, albeit an old one.
>>
>>17186431
Great now the soccer moms are going to start taking real yoga from us.
>>
>>17195712
This. Thank you.
>>
thread musical theme to make everyone happy and smiling
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jTjycyu7Dw
>>
>>17195504

throw boiling water over him, if he jumps up and screams, he hasn't attained the highest truth. it doesnt matter if you understand scriptures or not, i can read all the yoga books out there, it still wont liberate me. even if you were to recite the vedas all your life, still, no liberation will occur. it doesnt matter if you worship god with all your heart, even though it's a great way to become selfeless, it still won't free you.

even charpatnath says, one who is still amused by wordly events, either that be music, taste, sights is no siddha. if one hasn't conquered the senses and withdraw the mind, they'll always be vulnerable to the world and their own karma and every action they do will keep turning the wheel. you may thing everything is lovelydovely and comfy, but that's what your material and western life gives you, your next life, maybe not.

>>17195566

you missed my point, i can learn under false yogis and do his practices for my whole life, i wont get anywhere, the yoga that is taught today is false yoga, and by asana practice, you mean staying in the lotus position? it doesnt matter if you twist your body. 1 real yogic practice is to stay in lotus position everyday for 3 hours straight and to be still as possible, practice for about 6 months, if you can stay motionless for 3 hours in lotus then you attain asanasiddhi and this is only a prepation for real yoga. the yogis i know of can do kumbhaka for hours straight, even days, do you even know what the real state of meditation is like? its very very hard to attain, when you realize this, you'll understand how hard it is to attain samadhi.

its no joke, theres no real yoga seminar or course that's gonna give you real results, no real yogi would be interested making a name for himself or money or opening a million ashrams.
>>
>>17195566

real yogis are extremely seclusive, you think you get off a plane off india, book your hotel, there's some real himalayan sage waiting for you in his cave? seriously, this is what the western life gives people, they think everything is available in their grasp and everything should bend to them.

you honestly think a real yogi would care if some traveller traveled all his way to him? you know there are people in india that starving, living in complete sewage and still are not initiatied into real practices. yeah you might as well tell the himalayan yogi to book your hotel for you maybe massage your feet for you while telling you all of his lineage's secret practices oh yeah not to forget, to entertain you with his siddhis, yeah life is all about cool experiences, he should do that too, and after you can post a selfie with him on facebook.
>>
>>17196302
>i can learn under false yogis and do his practices for my whole life, i wont get anywhere

This is where I can tell already that you don't know what you are talking about. You can instantly tell if yogic practice works after a few weeks. These signs are superficial, but they are also only the visible tip of what's going on. You can actually measure this progress.

>1 real yogic practice is to stay in lotus position everyday for 3 hours straight and to be still as possible, practice for about 6 months
Let's hear your source then.

You are not seriously trying to argue that the Baghavad Gita, the Siva Purana and the Yoga Sutra are teaching 'false yoga' are you?

Also
>false yoga
Your argument seems to be "every yoga that is known is false."
You should do some empiric work before you start coming to conclusions like that.
>>
>>17196330
>real yogis are extremely seclusive
Again, this is not necessarily true. Also again, lose that fetish for India

>you honestly think a real yogi would care if some traveller traveled all his way to him
You honestly think he would chase him away if he displayed the right mindset and asked the right questions at the right time?

Have you actually been to India? Or are you just bitterly projecting your mindset on all and everybody?
>>
>>17196330
>you know there are people in india that starving, living in complete sewage and still are not initiatied into real practices
Ok, now I believe you have no idea what 'real' yoga actually is.
>>
>>17195504
Hey Bhakta, I know you're not on probably, but ironically I found radhanath swami earlier today for the first time

>>17195511
I feel for you man
>>
>>17196421
Actually even the poor people in India praise Krishna, it doesn't mean they are without yoga practice at all.

Yoga is super simple if you are just practicing love for God, and I am sure that is all Krishna cares about is having His people come back to Him.
>>
>>17196465
Here we go again with the ISKCON bhakti.
>>
>>17196481
>implying bhakti isn't an essential aspect to yoga
>>
>>17193217
look up Bates method :)
>>
Does anybody practice urine therapy or Breatharianism? Is it useful?
>>
>>17196499
>implying ISKCON bhakti is the bhakti described in the Gita
>>
>>17196705
The Bhagavad Gita is its own thing, and ISKCON books are good for people who want to learn something new about God.

Bhakti is a lot easier and if your trying to be devoted to God so as the benefit of your eternal soul, yeah, it's self explainatory.
>>
>>17196714
If it is actual real bhakti yoga.
>>
Damn, I should have known that would happen.

I really don't want this thread hijacked or trolled into oblivion. This is Zimmer's thread and is about Kriya Yoga. My jimmies got rustled and I've said my peace; well-wishers and critics alike can talk with me or about these topics somewhere else.
>>
>>17194083
how am i roleplaying kek. youre the one giving false information.
>>
< bearing a gift.

fuck you and your "gift"
>>
>>17194083
>as it's taking as some kind of entertainment or roleplay.
yea
>>
>>17186431
POO IN LOO
>>
Hope everyone is having a good day! Try not to be so upset.
>>
>>17193308
You really should be able to at least read an introduction, practice is the main aspect.. But you need to know why you're practicing, what you're doing, etc.. It has nothing to do with learning another cultures language.

Also if you're looking for supernatural powers you'll have to go somewhere else.
>>
>>17196330
Are you implying the man in OP's pic isn't a 'real yogi'?

Also
>you honestly think a real yogi would care if
What do you know about what a yogi would 'care' about? I'd recommend you rethink your concept of what detachment is.
>>
>>17197432
whats the point of yoga? I thought it was to get super powers?
>>
>>
>>17197559
you got it wrong, it's all about higher purposes and spirituality. you just happen to get cool super powers while doing it. but at that point you are so spiritual you don't even care you got super powers. "another super power? who even cares about those when I have reached so much enlightenment and my soul connects to the vishnus and yin yangs"
>>
>>17197559
The "point" of Yoga is one of the main topics of my introduction. At least meet me halfway and look at what I came to share.

The point is not to acquire powers. The point is essentially the ultimate goal and conclusion of all of existance.
>>
>>17197559
I hope this is bait?
>>
>>17197611
Thanks for that :)
>>
Finally got my first little video recorded, more to come..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AYtIxwVteSs&feature=youtu.be
>>
>>17197559
superpowers are more of a goal in tantra, especially kula. But even there the min objective is to achieve the state of Sivata.
>>
>>17186431
isn't yoga about inviting spirits in your body?
>>
>>17199913
it isnt, it has nothing to do with that. that does happen in tantra through creating inner mandala's
>>
>>17186431
Hey OP, have you ever read The Perfection of Yoga? I started it yesterday and I like it, but you seem to be an informed authority on the matter. What's your opinion of it?
>>
>>17199915
why did you choose that trip (aghori)? only for the spooks?
>>
>>17199924
My guru is an aghori, ive studies and practiced Aghori tantra, and i plan to go back to india soon to become a full sanyasi
>>
>>17199931
isn't this too edgy?
eating human flesh and such
>>
>>17199931
HOW DO YOU FIND THE AGHORI
PLEASE TEACH
DO I JUST GO TO THEIR MAIN AREA OF WORHSHIP
>>
>>17199938
it seems so for the outsider but its not done for the edgyness. Its a way to break your mind from thinking in categorys such as "edgy" and normal, pure and impure etc. The walking around naked kills any shame. Basicly anything the aghori does is a way to break the negative emotions that constrain a person.

Apart from these reasons, these are also parts of rituals where certain beings are called to aid the initiate in his journey to realizing he is siva.
>>
>>17199947
i found him by luck whilst travelling. Id sugest going to the places they generally hang out, so vanarasi
>>
>>17199949
Isn't it difficult to follow the Aghora path living in a western society? Aghoris don't seem well received even in India.

Also, how do you engage in the practices? As far as I know, an Aghori has to leave all material possessions and live on cremation grounds. You need that human ash for your rituals and such, no? Also, the only material thing you're supposed to posses is a skull to be used as an eating bowl.

>i plan to go back to india soon to become a full sanyasi

Oh, nvm. Looks like you are planning to be a full-time renunciate. So you're setting up to leave everything? Even internet connection?

By the way, have you considered other sanyasi paths? You could just be a yogi of a different kind.

Gautam Buddha was said to have practiced extreme austerities, but eventually found that punishing your body left you too weak and imbalanced for gaining spiritual insight.
>>
>>171999494
is the main goal to get rid of the inherent fear in everyone. Breaking all the taboos makes you fearless no?
Once you are fearless what do you accomplish?

What is your goal?
>>
>>17199977
ive practiced Gatamas path before and found it lacking substance. it did not provide the progress i seeked.

following the aghora path is technically impossible for us in the west. When i leave for india ill leave everything, internet connection is the least of my problems. As of now i cant leave permanently because of my father, who told me i cannot (to become a sanyasi i need consent from both of my parents)

ive considered many sanyasi paths, this one just works for me.

also what i am thinking about, if i do become a full sanyasi is if the aghori path can be practiced through the practice of dream yoga. Dream yoga is basicly the control of dreams, and comes from dzogchen.
if aghora could be practiced within dreams, then the spread of the tradition to the west could possibly save the tradition from slowly dieing out like it is now.

>>17199981

not only fearlessness, i will achieve the liberation from all bondages. i will realize that i am Siva, and achieve jivan mukti - be liberated during the course of this lifetime
>>
>>17200000
And once you are liberated what will happen?
You will be that wandering illuminated guy. Happy but what will you do for the universe?
>>
>>17200020
i wont do anything for the universe. ill be liberated, you guys go on do your thing. ill teach the way to liberation to others, and thats it.
>>
>>17186431
I like to see threads like this, there should be more yoga threads.
>>
>>17196418

i never said anything about them only being in india, there are accomplished chinese yogis from the daoist traditions who are also hermits that all go out for this stuff. the majority of people who are new to this stuff or from newage backgrounds fall blindly to any indian man in an orange robe who claims hes enlightened, he'll say some fancy stuff, offer abunch of yoga programs, make money, people will do them and it will make them feel good, then theyll immeditately think they are onn their way to mukti.

to practice real yoga, well specificly hatha/raj it takes ascetism, valid practices, and real commitment to a guru, a proper guru, not one that goes off and on seminars, ashrams. its funny to see these orange robes enjoying pleasures and booking nice hotels, etc. this proves they are nothing but bhogis. its nearly impossible to find a real guru, believe me. its only the persons karma that will lead them to one.

>You are not seriously trying to argue that the Baghavad Gita, the Siva Purana and the Yoga Sutra are teaching 'false yoga' are you?

no, but you are no way practicing the yogas in those sastras if you aren't completely celibate, ascetic, wholeheartedly devoted to God, free from hate and such. alot of newage yoga teaching programs tell people to read these books but none of these 'yogis' actually follow what's written in them. or read water down Western versions and get a completely different picture.
>>
>>17200250
completly wrong. yoga does not require ascetism, even tantra doesnt neccesarly require ascetism

>inb4 it does
what is kaula tradition?
>>
>>17200257

>specificly hatha/raj

i was talking about the original yoga, you know, the one that is mentioned in the upanishads and the yogis that i know of are adept to and have real results.

this is what im talking about. even though hatha is tantrik, you know what tantrik is, it's giant, so many kinds of practices, there are stories even of yogis getting liberation through sex, its funny seeing tantra sex being portrayed as the biggest tantra teaching in the west, yet they discuss no real tantric alchemic methods such as manipulation of the fluids, only closed off teachers know this.

but its a dangerous path, you the story of matsyendra and gorskha and how that went, both accomplished tantrikas, one fell because too much dabbling, the other had his mind fixed on god the entire time by practicing the yoga i mentioned.
>>
Just read the Bhagavad Gita
>>
>>17200277
you do realize that hatha isnt tantrik? also congrats on getting one thing right - tantra isnt all about sex, the manipulation of fluids is more important. anyhow youre still wrong by assuming hatha is in any way tantrik.

kaula tantra rejects hatha completly, it even rejects yoga.

Tantra is not just sexual fluids though, you have sivasiddhantha which has no bodily fluids involved, and aghora where sex is less of a focus.
>>
>>17200288

it basically is, some of the core hatha is from raj, and many of the techniques were used such as kumbhakas to stop the breath to lead to stilling the mind that were around during the upanishad days. but hatha yoga really took off when the tantrikas started finding out about subtle energy manipulations, ways to mix prana and apana, bindu, ojas, to achieve naada or long term breath retentions and also created an accurate kundalini science, hatha then took its real basis, goraksha or even before hand tibetan tantrikas/southern siddhas formed it to what the yogabija, hathapradipika, other medieval tantrik hatha texts teach which formed the actual hatha yoga which the naths were known for, some of the tantrikas created techniques which were for only use with a partner that a person can succeed alone, alot of those techniques got incorpated into the hathayoga.
>>
>>17200332
but old Tantra does not incorporate hatha, especially the kapalikas and the lakula which are essentially the heart of modern tantra (trika kaula kula dn aghora, and sivasiddhanta)

the tantriks always had knowlede of Nadis, it came from lords Siva. Naada wasnt and isnt the point of tantra. the point of tantra is Sivanta.
>>
>>17200250
>to practice real yoga, well specificly hatha/raj it takes ascetism, valid practices
So what? I'm vegan and live in celibacy

>real commitment to a guru, a proper guru
Have a story from Srimad Bhagavatam
http://www.swamij.com/twenty-four-gurus.htm
>>
>>17200250
Also I never paid a cent in my life for yoga 'programs', apart from a donation I gave once. And I am not going to in the future.
>>
>>17199921
Nope haven't read that one. I took a look at what it's about, seems focused on a devotional path for krishna. Not exactly the same as what I teach.

It might have some good information in there. I would read it, but my list of books I'm planning to read grows day by day, I just can't get to everything lol.
>>
>>17200031
Thank you! I haven't browsed 4chan in years, but I know there's people around who would be interested in these matters.
>>
File: 1439022264760.jpg (150KB, 1080x675px) Image search: [Google]
1439022264760.jpg
150KB, 1080x675px
>>17186431
Do you even full lotus? How long can you sit in it?
>>
>>17200250
You haven't read the Bhagavad Gita have you?

The practices given a split among the various circumstances and lifestyles of people. There is a special section for householders and worldly people which includes a very specific yoga for them to do. Same goes for ascetics, monks, and elderly people.

Yoga isn't all about asceticism.
>>
>>17201283
I have tight, busted up western knees lol. I sit in Siddhasana. How long? Not sure, technically I could sit forever. But I have things to do.
>>
>>17190473
Btw this is actually a pretty good tl;dr of Yoga haha.
>>
>>17201369

How long have you been doing yoga?
>>
>>17201398
A little over 10 years, but I have experience in a few other "paths", western esotericism, shamanism, my traditional native ways, Zen buddhism, etc..
>>
>>17192492
>its your mind that keeps you in bondage and only by controlling it you'll get free, this is the original yoga, wheres the yogi's mind becomes completely one pointed, still, and free.
This is why I "meditate": more precise power over oneself. Thank you!
>>
>>17201640
I got a chance to look over your page, and enjoyed it quite a bit. I especially liked the answers to what is a sampradaya, karma-yoga, and this quote:

>What kind of death is this? Like when flying insects, upon seeing the light of a lamp, fall into it because they think that there is no other light as complete (fulfilling) as this. Thus deluded, they fall into (the flame) and burn and die. In the same way, human beings, unable to see the self (atman), are burning and dying in the flash and filigree of this false (round of worldly existence/maya/samsara), because they think that the pleasures and indulgences of the world make up the most complete happiness, and that other than this there is nothing that is good (fulfilling).

I would recommend putting a "top" button on your pages, or find a way to have the menu scroll down.

You're a welcome addition to the board, and I look forward to learning from you. May you attain permanent immersion in the Absolute.
>>
>>17203480
Thanks for the support! I'll look into the button or scrolling thing, there's a lot on my plate at the moment. As long as I keep my laziness under control everything should be fine lol.

I hope you find comfort and peace in the absolute as well.
>>
File: Kapalika.jpg (122KB, 480x640px) Image search: [Google]
Kapalika.jpg
122KB, 480x640px
>>17189341
Not OP but I am a Shaiva. The book you cite is the 4th deepest book Ive ever read.
>>
File: kundalini.jpg (12KB, 199x273px) Image search: [Google]
kundalini.jpg
12KB, 199x273px
>>17193212
>the term Shiva doesn't refer to a person, but a state

this

Thats why I like to refer to it as Siva cause when people think Shiva they think that personification symbol you see which the lower forms of Shaivism worship. Siva is a generic term for the divine. It literally means auspicious. I follow Trika Saivism and we call the Ultimate Reality Parama Siva which means Highest Siva. It is experienced through meditation when having a cit kundalini awakening; its experienced as infinite bliss.

Big difference between cit kundalini and prana kundalini; Hell I feel prana kundalini right now.
>>
remember,

there is no proper way to shit on street..

only rule is to not wipe with hand that picks up the food..

designated shitting street is holy temple of india..

t. pajeet ramakrishna
>>
yoga is poo in loo teaching
>>
>>17205550
no you poo in loo
>>
>>17189540
>>17186463

You might also try Yogani's website. I've found his teachings to be some of the finest I've seen anywhere. And he's all about being your own "guru" too, and his training methods come at it from that angle.

"There is enlightenment both with and without God. This is because human beings are inherently enlightenable, transformable to a higher state of evolution, regardless of the belief system utilized." -- Yogani

http://www.aypsite.org/
>>
>>17201283

Your pic isn't even full lotus, it's Sukhasana - "the easy pose".
>>
>>17199913
>isn't yoga about inviting spirits in your body?

You've been getting your info from xian websites again, haven't you. Be honest now.
>>
>>17192492
Cold harsh truth.
>>
>>17186431
thanks
>>
>>17186431
Go back to /fit/
>>
>>17208809
No problem!

>>17209535
This has nothing to do with /fit/
>>
>>17206743
>And he's all about being your own "guru" too, and his training methods come at it from that angle.

This seems against what was quoted on the page.

>This is why having a good teacher has always been of the utmost importance in the Yoga tradition. The important books and scriptures are like a curriculum (for teachers or yogi's), they were never really meant to instruct students. That's why the transmission of the teachings was always person to person.

>It is wonderful that the one who takes one from darkness to light has been found. Otherwise there would be death - meaning: there would be no escape from birth and death. The purpose of this body is to be free from birth and death. If the knowledge of atman does not happen in this body, then there is death, verily.
>But because of finding (the one who takes one from darkness to light/guru='gu' aka darkness and ‘ru’ aka light), one has seen the delusion, and has been saved from such a death."

If Zimmer Muni is still here, perhaps he could give more insight to his views.
>>
>>17200347
>sanyasi
Do you have skype?
I have some questions.
Thread posts: 138
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.