[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of all recorded species in our evolutionary history, which

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 4

File: 4l0t2o.jpg.png (16KB, 381x400px) Image search: [Google]
4l0t2o.jpg.png
16KB, 381x400px
Out of all recorded species in our evolutionary history, which one do you believe that given slightly different circumstances, could have dominated the earth rather than humans?

For a while I thought it to be the neanderthals, but despite their extreme similarity to humans, their key aspect that proved to be fatal was that they were less sociable than humans. They didn't communicate as effectively and this is the reason for their downfall.

Anyone else have some ideas?

Also, a second question: In the event that all of humanity is destroyed, which species do you believe will lead the evolutionary path for the next dominant species?

>pic unrelated
>>
>>17176960
Dogmen or bigfeets.
>>
File: raccoon_advice.jpg (53KB, 540x418px) Image search: [Google]
raccoon_advice.jpg
53KB, 540x418px
>>17176960
First animal that comes to mind.
>>
>>17176975
Definitely something with thumbs
>>
>>17176960
Blacks.
>>
>>17177859
/poI/ please go
>>
File: homework_lady.jpg (66KB, 515x720px) Image search: [Google]
homework_lady.jpg
66KB, 515x720px
>>17176960

This sounds like someone's homework.

>key aspect that proved to be fatal was that they were less sociable than humans

/x/philes doomed to extinction, well duh
>>
>>17176960
If we take out the primates, I'd say octopus would do well, if they had a longer life expectancy
>>
Some type of reptile more than likely or elephants since there sociable conscious and highly intelligent there's even a video where one elephant uses human language to communicate with a zookeeper,even though it was minimal it shows a capability of understanding unlike most animals with the exception of us and monkeys.
>>
>>17178211
They'd need a longer life expectancy and also to not die after mating.

.. At least i think they die after mating. might be thinking of squid.

something like that idk
>>
File: kidstodaydon'trespectraptors.jpg (35KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
kidstodaydon'trespectraptors.jpg
35KB, 550x400px
Is nobody else gonna do it? OK. Pic related.
>>
>>17176960
Also on the second question it depends on what killed us, it could be disease,war,famine,extreme weather,asteroids, or a super volcano. So I'm not sure there's a lot of different variables but if I had to guess I would say bacteria would prevail in any or all of these situations. Then give those things a few million years and new dominant species would arise like us after the dinosaurs but without mammals as the starting point.
>>
>>17178270
More likely from Class Aves, than Class Reptilia. Anything with a prehensile appendage, really. This includes some Inverts, birds and many mammals.
>>
>>17176960
Your theory concerning the fate of neanderthalensis is incorrect.
>>
Ants

Ants are already world wide and can be self sufficient
>>
>>17178325
I wonder though if in the grand cosmic scale of things what if reptiles and mammals only get one chance at being the dominant species I mean the t-rex's DNA is close to that of a chicken and velociraptors are the same with bird's so i wonder what would become of mammals?
>>
>>17178341
Yeah didn't we fuck 'em to death?
>>
>>17178054
It's not homework, I was just curious about your opinions.

Personally I've always enjoyed studying evolution and biology, though.
>>
>>17178341
There is no "correct" or "incorrect" theory about it, nobody knows exactly what happened.

In actuality the most likely scenario is that we competed with them for territory but simultaneously mated with them. The males were probably killed and the females were likely kept around for mating until their species itself became assimilated into our own.

So I fail to see what part of the "theory" I proposed is wrong? I never even said in my original post that they were wiped entirely through violence, but their species certainly became wiped out through human interaction. A combination of mating and violence resulted in their extinction.
>>
>>17178211
Definitely this, octopus (octopi?) are incredibly intelligent and even have been observed using tools and weapons.

http://www.sciencemag.org/content/139/3556/764.abstract

intelligent creepy bastards.

>>17178287
only in some species but that hardly matters, their clutch can be up to 200,000 eggs. Plus that trait could die out after a few hundred years with evolution.
>>
Op is a faggot and doesn't know that neanderthals heavily interbred with our ancestors and homo sapiens are a composite species. Transitionary fossils have been found all over western Europe. The division is a myth and you obviously know nothing of anything that has happened in paleoanthropology in the past decade.
My pick is.....dolphins
>>
>>17181078
>composite species
Not if you are 100% African black.
Everyone else branched out of Africa and interbred with other hominid species.
>>
>>17176960
Except that neanderthals didn't die out. Some of them died and some of them mixed.

A large role in the difference between blacks and caucasians is the fact that the latter has lots of neanderthal blood mixed in it.

It is a fact that neanderthal brains were larger than those of homo sapiens. But brain size in itself doesn't imply a superior intelligence. However there are numerous other indicators that support the theory that neanderthals were in fact more intelligent, such as developing tools earlier, building villages earlier, developing watercraft earlier, and ofcourse the fact that they're the first who started burying their dead.
>>
>>17176960
Id say the Troodon. They say it was evolving at a pace outmatching our own, far before humans were in the picture. Look up dinosauroid. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Troodon
>>
Ants fucking ants, if the O2 levels were higher and they could grow bigger, fucking ants
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.